PDA

View Full Version : Safety Gear needed by Nosties!

CircleJerk
03-01-2004, 10:18 AM
This may be boring to some but we have some new racers lurking here and they are in need of stuff you'all may have just laying around!
Nostalgic Circle Boat rules require:
1- Competition life jackets must be made by Security Race Products, LifeLine, or Dietz and if used must be re-certified every 4 years! This usually costs between 85 and 150 bucks.
2- Helmets must have the label, Snell 95 or newer, open face helmets are recommended and MUST be 50% fluorescent orange or neon yellow on the top! Full faced ones have a tendency to cause neck injuries, not to mention restrict side vision.
3- A kevlar fabric driving suit must cover arms, legs and torso and may be two piece. An abrasion resistant motorsports suit is allowed and may be any color.
4- Kill switchs are a must. The Mercury marine one seems to hold up the best and should also disable the electric fuel pump as well.
5- Props, prop shafts, and rudders must be certified to prove them crack free or you don't run! Magnafluxing, X-ray {for chrome} or Chemical die checking {stainless prop shaft}. Some of you racers can offer help as to where they can get this done at a reasonable cost. Also, couplers will be inspected closely.
5- A controversial safety device is the prop shaft release! At present, they are reccommended for the ski class and expected to be installed on the fast boats this year. Blonde loves hers and she wants you all to stay at the controls of your boat, especially when next to her!
If you have any questions about our wild class of mouldy oldies, dont hesitate to PM or email me. We expect 6 new boats this year to add to the 18 or more that raced last year.:D Please share any knowledge of extra equipment here for our lurkers.:D
PS; one last thing that drove the inspectors mad, was the lack of locking shifters! Even without a shaft release, you need a positive lock to keep it in gear! The original Casale detent is NOT enough under rough racing conditions, just ask the driver of the Sweet Caroline what happens when you pop out of gear while entering a turn at 90+? Answer: you stand up just before you are thrown into your deck and the water! Anyone have some extra locking shifters?:wink:

FlatUgly
03-01-2004, 08:37 PM
that sounds like a lot of fun where do u guys race, does my 18ft rayson craft LP fit into any of your classes?

CircleJerk
03-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Dang, I had a three paragraph response for you and the darn puter lost it! check out nwh2oracer.com

h2oregon
03-02-2004, 12:05 PM
hey jerk what do you mean by the prop shaft release for the fast boats is expected? will a 90 mph boat not be allowed to run a second race this year without one? same goes for the lock out shifter? How bout starting a new thread with the rules for the 2004 season? please leave out any thing that is not a must to race with you guys. thanks

68campbell
03-02-2004, 01:54 PM
I have an extra large lifeline for sale. great condition $300OBO
email me at todd303@aol.com

boatguy222
03-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by h2oregon
hey jerk what do you mean by the prop shaft release for the fast boats is expected? will a 90 mph boat not be allowed to run a second race this year without one? same goes for the lock out shifter? How bout starting a new thread with the rules for the 2004 season? please leave out any thing that is not a must to race with you guys. thanks
It's a whilaway, the aftermarket guys call it a shaft release. I ran 2 years ago, then sold my boat (worst mistake I ever made) The boats were classed on time ( how fast that they went around the course), the top guys are running around 70mph around the mile course, but are running at least 100 down the straights. it's a small course! but alot of fun racing is side by side, the the guys are all good.
Boyd wants me to do tech on the boat this year or so he said, If you want to pm me your questions I'll get them answered for you. If Boyd is have puter troubles, it may be a while before he responds

ACCEPTENCE
03-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Oh...well at first I didn't realize it was for the "Nosties".
Geez if that's the case the new guys can have all the gear, parts, locking handles, jackets, helmets and whatever else I have just "laying around" for free.
Puhleez...

SANGER-RICH
03-02-2004, 06:06 PM
What is the average cost to add a wirlaway, prop release to a casale v-drive????:D

RaysonKid
03-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by ACCEPTENCE
Geez if that's the case the new guys can have all the gear, parts, locking handles, jackets, helmets and whatever else I have just "laying around" for free.
Puhleez...
I take it that Acceptence doesnt think to much of the Nostalgia thing.:rolleyes:

ACCEPTENCE
03-02-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by SANGER-RICH
What is the average cost to add a wirlaway, prop release to a casale v-drive????:D
I'm thinkin around the number of $650.00 with all the parts and the locking handle deal.
Check with Tom Bently or Beaverfab, they can answer all your questions and set ya up with what you need.

CircleJerk
03-03-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by h2oregon
hey jerk what do you mean by the prop shaft release for the fast boats is expected? will a 90 mph boat not be allowed to run a second race this year without one? same goes for the lock out shifter? thanks
Welcome to the forum!
What do I mean? Just what I said. I expect anyone running with the fast boats of George N., George T., Mark T.,Justin D., Dave N.,Ron D., myself, and maybe Robbie, will have the sense to install one if they havent already. I think four out of these seven already have them. It's Just plain good sense and insurance in my opinion, maybe you don't agree and that's your right. Hey, for me I couldnt even afford one when I started. However, most of our guys are relatively new to v-drives and have never raced anywhere so they are unaware of the hazards and what equipment will help them limit the risks. We dont want to see anyone get hurt. We came too close for comfort last year at Moses Lake.
There was a post a while back and most agreed that anyone running over 80 mph should make the investment for a release. I think Rexon was one of those in favor. The super stocks, pro stocks, and K boats do. Our speed isnt quite there yet but for some it's only the short straightaways that lowers the mph. APBA rules are set in stone, ours currently are not. I would like to see it added for the fast class only but that would take a majority vote or the safety director mandating it. Unfortunately, that might be awhile since we don't have an inboard guy at the helm.
You probably dont want my opinion but our boats seem to be easier to handle between entrance buoy #1 and #3 with the release installed. I don't exactly know why, but they do. You also still get braking action when off throttle, it's just smoother.
Now as to locking handles. I personally observed and have on video tape a driver leaving his seat when the v-drive popped out of gear. On the video, he admitted it but later denied it and claimed to have hit someones wake that threw him around. The only thing that saved him from a wet shirt, he said, "was putting it in gear & then jamming on the gas and that sat him down again"! Some of our boats have some well worn stuff and with a shaft release you must install one to keep it in gear. Inspections last year included a close look at everyones shifting hardware and some real poor workmanship or worn parts were observed. One new boat had NO detent position at all and I had to beg him to clamp it in gear!
As far as 2004 rules, any additions or deletions are still in limbo and there is little I can do to force the issue. And yes to some: stillajErk:)

CircleJerk
03-03-2004, 12:22 AM
Puhleez...
Most of us do work and are willing to pay a fair price. Thanks for your support.:D

CircleJerk
03-03-2004, 12:29 AM
Boat Guy.....You havent answered my PM! Will you drive one of my boats??? :) :)

boatguy222
03-03-2004, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by CircleJerk
Boat Guy.....You havent answered my PM! Will you drive one of my boats??? :) :)
I never got it, I won't drive a Lavey, maybe the Rayson if you end up with it. The Real question is are you going to drive my K-boat when it's done?????

Eric Sammons
03-03-2004, 07:18 AM
Hey Flatugly, There is a Nostalgia race a little closer to home for you. If you are interested, call Jim Best at 626-353-2561 The Next one is in April at Blue Water in Parker

superdave013
03-03-2004, 08:41 AM
Jerk, you make it sound like the prop release is an option and not a must in the faster classes. You need to change the expected to REQUIRED!
If they can't afford it then they shouldn't be out there anyway.
What happens when someone with some old clapped out boat with no release or locking shifter (amoung other things) gets in trouble and gets wet. You just might be the guy that runs his ass over (killing him) when he gets pitched out of his boat into your lane.
You make them get the underwater hardware certified but don't REQUIRE a prop release? come on man.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
03-03-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Eric Sammons
Hey Flatugly, There is a Nostalgia race a little closer to home for you. If you are interested, call Jim Best at 626-353-2561 The Next one is in April at Blue Water in Parker
Welcome aboard Eric. :)
Its cool to have you guys posting finally! Wheres Rolf??
These Washington guys have a great recipe for success...Instead of a speed limit, thier course size and shape keeps the speed down. These guys race hard and it shows.
The only problem is...its almost impossible to get your hands on one of thier videos lately. J/K :D
Jimmy D. rules

CircleJerk
03-03-2004, 11:10 AM
:D :smilespi: :sqsmile: :D Hi Jerrrrrr

CircleJerk
03-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
Jerk, you make it sound like the prop release is an option and not a must in the faster classes. You need to change the expected to REQUIRED!
If they can't afford it then they shouldn't be out there anyway.
What happens when someone with some old clapped out boat with no release or locking shifter (amoung other things) gets in trouble and gets wet. You just might be the guy that runs his ass over (killing him) when he gets pitched out of his boat into your lane.
You make them get the underwater hardware certified but don't REQUIRE a prop release? come on man.
Super Dave: I sadly admit, you are right! At first the boats were not that fast, 60-70mph, now after 3 years we have some super stock caliber boats. Some are building gobbs of power to the max 500 cubes limit in their vintage hulls. To say I am worried, would be an understatement! And, I did come close to a pitched driver last September! I am still upset from that! Anyone would! Hopefully, more info and wise posts like yours may reach some of the doubting Thomas folks. Like Acceptance stated, 650 bucks will buy them a lot of peace of mind and he and others might share their experiences with our new guys, some of them lurk right here and value all of your opinions and info!
I am just a racer that cares about this new class and dont want to see anyone hurt or damage their rides! You guys represent wisdom and availability of good boat parts, or v-drive related solutions at a reasonable price! Thanks once again;) It's snowing again......PaIniNtheAssjErK:)

SANGER-RICH
03-03-2004, 05:49 PM
I'm thinkin around the number of $650.00 with all the parts and the locking handle deal.
Check with Tom Bently or Beaverfab, they can answer all your questions and set ya up with what you need. Is that including labor??

CircleJerk
03-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by SANGER-RICH
Is that including labor??
almost always, NO. However, if you moved up here and decided to race with us, I will install it for free and that goes for anyone racing Northwest Nostalgia! Bring me the v-drive, with the parts, and I will install the shaft release of your choice free. jErK

126driver
03-04-2004, 01:04 AM
What happens when someone with some old clapped out boat
Ease up Chief. In Washington the term is "nostalgic." :D
j/k Circle "yer not the only" Jerk :p

Jim Anderson
03-04-2004, 01:07 AM
The whole jerk thing has me thinking about tri tip in jerk sauce for the taco wagon. :rolleyes:

126driver
03-04-2004, 01:43 AM
Maybe, but in your case, I don't think anyone would want your particular "jerk sauce." :yuk: :yuk: :eek:

BILLY.B
03-04-2004, 06:43 AM
Hey 126driver, how is it that you can continue to have convesations with yourself?. Your cracking me up BRO!!!!. To answer the question on a whirlaway it will cost you slightly more then $650.00. I believe the range of $850.00 comes to mind with labor. Acceptance is in that nostalic mind lapse!!!:D

RaysonKid
03-04-2004, 06:49 AM
I am going to ask two stupid questions.
What is a "Clapped out boat"?
Can a whirlway be installed in the older Casale top loader v-drives?
:)

Eric Sammons
03-04-2004, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by V-DRIVE VIDEO
Welcome aboard Eric. :)
Its cool to have you guys posting finally! Wheres Rolf??
These Washington guys have a great recipe for success...Instead of a speed limit, thier course size and shape keeps the speed down. These guys race hard and it shows.
The only problem is...its almost impossible to get your hands on one of thier videos lately. J/K :D
Jimmy D. rules
Hey Jerr, heard you got some great video of bro Dave at Parker. Looking forward to some side by side racing with him, but I think he may put a on the trailer. Little more horsepower and alot more experience. About 25 years (Its all good) Are you going to make it out there in April?

CircleJerk
03-04-2004, 10:30 AM
JP.....You dont need one until you approach 90mph, in my opinion and others here will agree. Besides I dont know if one is made for your square top v-drive. And I will install it for you when you find the speed you may be looking for. Jerkizoidial
Ps a clapped out boat is one that has worn out its appeal and good looks and no one will clap when they see it run! Its slow.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
03-04-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Eric Sammons
Are you going to make it out there in April?
I'm flying in from Maui on the Fri before. I don't know if I'll have the gumption to peal out that early the next morning.:confused:
I may just suprise everyone!;)

RaysonKid
03-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks Jerk,
Guess my boat is clapped out.
Also guess I will sell the piece of shit.
Cause I wont be seeing 90 mph.
Hell, come to think of it I will be lucky to break 50 mph.;)
Guess I will stay here in hicksville, Washington and chase jet boats around the lake.:cool:

superdave013
03-04-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by RaysonKid
Thanks Jerk,
Guess my boat is clapped out.
Also guess I will sell the piece of shit.
Cause I wont be seeing 90 mph.
Hell, come to think of it I will be lucky to break 50 mph.;)
Guess I will stay here in hicksville, Washington and chase jet boats around the lake.:cool:
Don't take what I said out of context. What I ment by "clapped out" is that it's an old worn out boat that's not safe on the race track.

RaysonKid
03-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Don't take what I said out of context. What I ment by "clapped out" is that it's an old worn out boat that's not safe on the race track.
Not to worry Superdave.
I am just pitching sh@# at Circlejerk.
I bought my boat to have fun.
I know its old and heavy. But it's had very little use for a 1963 boat.
If and when I race it will be for fun. I know it can not be competitive.
The nostalgia thing up here is suppose to be (and hopefully stays) affordable. A poor mans way to go racing.
I know that way back in the day. Howard Brown was kicking butt with these boats. I have nothing to prove.