PDA

View Full Version : towing with big tires

ovrkll77
03-28-2006, 07:21 PM
how many of you tow your boat long distance, with big tires on your truck/suv?

Riverat84
03-28-2006, 07:28 PM
how many of you tow your boat long distance, with big tires on your truck/suv?
i dont, but i will when i install my lift obviously....the trick is to regear to make your engine think its running stock tires and take the stress off not just the engine, but the transmission, which is my #1 worry.

tahitijet
03-28-2006, 07:50 PM
We tow with 40" tires. Even with proper gears the larger you get on tires the better built your tranny and rear end need to be.

cc322
03-28-2006, 08:16 PM
I am confused, are you asking because of power loss or the debris getting shot back on you gel coat? Bigger tires taller gears, or bigger tires wider mud flaps. :rollside:

Fast Freddy
03-28-2006, 08:17 PM
here is a couple pix of my tow rig sittin on 38" groundhawg II radials. the tires are a load range E with a 10 ply rating. i run 55 psi in em when i tow. they are size 38X15.50X16.5. the wheels are weld super single II's in size 16.5X12. i do tow long distances with this setup but i limit my tow speed to 75 mph. i have 4.30 gears with ARB air lockers front and rear. since my engine is a V-10 my tranny is ford's 4R100. this tranny is the same tranny thats in my lightning and it is one awesome trans. it has a deep sump pan with a tranny cooler and holds 17 quarts of fluid. i put in a factory tech valve body which firms up the shifts and i have a transmission temperature guage.

ovrkll77
03-28-2006, 10:29 PM
here is a couple pix of my tow rig sittin on 38" groundhawg II radials. the tires are a load range E with a 10 ply rating. i run 55 psi in em when i tow. they are size 38X15.50X16.5. the wheels are weld super single II's in size 16.5X12. i do tow long distances with this setup but i limit my tow speed to 75 mph. i have 4.30 gears with ARB air lockers front and rear. since my engine is a V-10 my tranny is ford's 4R100. this tranny is the same tranny thats in my lightning and it is one awesome trans. it has a deep sump pan with a tranny cooler and holds 17 quarts of fluid. i put in a factory tech valve body which firms up the shifts and i have a transmission temperature guage.
I have a 2000 white Lightning and a 2003 red L. I love them trucks.
I am starting to tow with my 2000 excursion psd, it has a 12" lift, on 39.5"x15x20. I just changed the tranny in it last week. Oh yeah, the reason I ask is, I want to know if the truck feels solid, or do you feel like you are all over the road at times.

ovrkll77
03-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Wow I just saw that 2nd pic, that looks real good.

Havasubum
03-29-2006, 12:20 AM
Wow I just saw that 2nd pic, that looks real good.
i tow with 37 inch tires toyo open country fine. load range E

Fast Freddy
03-29-2006, 12:11 PM
I have a 2000 white Lightning and a 2003 red L. I love them trucks.
I am starting to tow with my 2000 excursion psd, it has a 12" lift, on 39.5"x15x20. I just changed the tranny in it last week. Oh yeah, the reason I ask is, I want to know if the truck feels solid, or do you feel like you are all over the road at times.
my truck has 9 inches of lift. the truck is very tiring to tow long distances with this much lift and the BIG 38" mud tires. it will wander on you real fast if you take your eyes off the road. also taller vehicles are more suseptible to cross winds. i try and do my tow home the day after i come off the lake because boating all day and then towing home hundreds of miles just wipes me out.

UHHH SUCKA
03-31-2006, 06:43 AM
I got the '03 f-350 (PSD) with 39" tires, stock rear end and tranny. The boat package weighs about 7,000lbs. Tows just fine, but you know that extra weight is back there.

redneckcharlie
03-31-2006, 02:41 PM
i currently have an or f350, crew cab shortbed, 6.0 deisel and an auto. this truck has about ten inches of lift on 37's. the most weight i have put behind this truck is roughly fourteen thousand pounds. i have had several superdutys with large lifts and large tires. there are a few things i have noticed over the years with this particular truck(ford superduty) and towing large loads. first, i run 4.56 gears, makes a huge difference. two, i run ladder bars, stops the axle wrap completely. third, if your trailer drops the rear of the truck below level(squats the rear end), its going to lighten up the front end quite a bit, and make the steering feel squirlly. this problem can be solved with a set of air bags and compressor for the rear. my last set up cost me about five hundred dollars for everything through four wheel parts wholesalers. if you tow often, the bags are highly recommended. they'll solve the ride height issues which are usually the cause of the steering problems during towing. fourth, invest in in a set of good double shocks up front, not the thirty dollar specials either, something with a remote reservoir. also use a high quality stabilizer, i prefer the fox. the fox stabilizer is pricey, but really stiff. the fox will soak up alot of bumpsteer that is caused by bad steering geometry. you might find that changing out the tie bar, with one with heim joints will also help quite abit. i realize that alot of this is not cheap, but getting the load going is not a problem with these trucks. but, the first time you need to completely lock the truck up with a load, and it stays straight and predictable, you'll be glad you spent the money. :)

H20 Toie
04-03-2006, 05:36 PM
I have a 05 with 37" tires and towing is not a problem but i did put on airbags and traction bars. it drives great even though i still have the 373 gears. in the pic i do not have air in the air bags that is why it squats in the rear .
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2573DSC01280-med.JPG

INSman
04-03-2006, 08:26 PM
I have an 04 GMC Sierra 2500HD with 35's (Toyo AT's) and tow to Powell every year without ANY problems what so ever, passing quite a few folks along the way in actuality !! :rollside:

River918
04-03-2006, 09:58 PM
2006, Chevy HD with the LBZ Duramax, Allison Trans, 6" lift, and 35" BFG's...pulls like a champ. I just need to get the speedo recalibrated to maintain my shift points.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2670-1.jpg