PDA

View Full Version : Time to Chuck the Gate Valve

GottaJet
03-01-2004, 07:18 PM
I thinks it's time to chuck the old gate valve and go to a thermostat..I've also been told a regulator would be a good idea.What do you guys think??What all is involved in going to the thermostat??What's the install like??Any info on this will be greatly appreciated. GJ:D

GlastronGuy
03-01-2004, 07:35 PM
I use the Rex Marine Bypass Thermostat and a regulator in the intake manifold.

Nubbs
03-01-2004, 07:40 PM
I bought the thermostat from Rex. It was pretty easy to install and has worked well for me. plumbing diagram (http://www.rexmar.com/page160.html)
thermostat (http://www.rexmar.com/page161.html)

Hustler
03-01-2004, 07:41 PM
Dude you gotta get it started before you worry about that :p :D
I would just install a presure reg. and keep using the gate valve, it seems work out just fine and will only cost around 50-60 buck :D Let me know if need any help, you know where I live:rolleyes: :D

1Bahnerjet
03-02-2004, 07:54 AM
I've got the Thermo. Bypass deal too.(set up like the Rex diagram) A gate valve on Jet Pump opened 2 1/2 turns, Plus a Gate Valve on Hose to Headers Just Barely opened. I bounce around between 140 & 160. Does my Set-up sound Common ?

Chris J
03-02-2004, 08:08 AM
Spend the $100 and get the themostat bypass from rex. Its a NO BRAINER. I've only got 3K in my motor and its a pouch. Can't imagine sticking big bucks into a motor and then run it through thousands of heat cycles just to save a few bucks.
Why idle your motor around 160 then flood it with cold water just when you smack the throttle and hold it WFO.

Hustler
03-02-2004, 08:48 AM
Why idle your motor around 160 then flood it with cold water just when you smack the throttle and hold it WFO.
My understanding is that with the Presure Reg. this wont happen

Bense468
03-02-2004, 02:09 PM
Yeah I ran the thermostat from rex with a ball valve at my pump for that reason.

GottaJet
03-02-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Hustler
Dude you gotta get it started before you worry about that :p :D
I would just install a presure reg. and keep using the gate valve, it seems work out just fine and will only cost around 50-60 buck :D Let me know if need any help, you know where I live:rolleyes: :D :D I'll fill the cooler!Get ready for a knock on the door:D Seriously though every bit of advice you've given me in the past has worked out bitchen!!I'll stop by and say hi soon it's been too long..GJ P.S.you were serious about the help right;) :p

mgar_red
03-03-2004, 01:12 AM
So is Rex's kit a universal fit? There's no mention of what type of motor to use it on, so I was thinking maybe the bolt patterns are the same for GM and Ford?
But if you look at the polished cast aluminum water divider outlets on p 162, they list four different ones for each make of engine ( Chevy Olds Ford ). What gives?

Rexone
03-03-2004, 02:37 AM
The housing fits Olds and Chevy, not Ford. I've seen guys make little billet adapters to use it on Fords though with success.
I too would recommend keeping a valve at the pump as a safety valve in case you break a hose.

mgar_red
03-03-2004, 03:31 AM
Thanks for clearing that up. Anybody out there know who I could contact to obtain such said billet adapter so I could buy the kit from Rex?
I'm surprised nobody has gone into marketing them, with as many BBF being run out there they could make a fortune.

Rexone
03-03-2004, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by mgar_red
Thanks for clearing that up. Anybody out there know who I could contact to obtain such said billet adapter so I could buy the kit from Rex?
I'm surprised nobody has gone into marketing them, with as many BBF being run out there they could make a fortune.
We're actually probably going to build some one of these days, but it's not a hot one on the priority list at the moment. I would not expect to see any from us near future.
I'm sure someone on the forum could build you one though.