PDA

View Full Version : any recommendations on a first boat?

badbrad
03-02-2004, 04:32 AM
I am looking for my first boat and I have been doing alot of research. I want a boat that is around 21ft with a 350 v8 just for the basics. Any input?

OutCole'd
03-02-2004, 06:07 AM
I have a recommendation for you,
COLE
and this one is here in Vegas.

RaysonKid
03-02-2004, 06:25 AM
Get a Bayliner.
Keep it one summer and sell it.
You will really appreciate any other boat after that.:D

Mandelon
03-02-2004, 06:28 AM
Those Coles are really great boats. Especially the older ones.

redneckgirl
03-02-2004, 07:02 AM
New or used? Budget?

burtandnancy
03-02-2004, 08:19 AM
Babbrad, been boating at Lake Mead since the mid sixties, and all I can recommend is save a few more dollars and start with a 24 footer, otherwise you may miss a lot of good boating days. You just missed a super clean 24 Hallett with a 525SC for less than a good 21 would cost, so keep you eyes open. Also, pray for lots of water on the left side of the Rockies...

THOR
03-02-2004, 08:31 AM
Knowing what I know now, I would get a 28'-33' tunnel with twin 575sc's. But that is just me.
Seriously, Outcold's Cole is killer. I honestly cant see why it hasnt sold yet. He is not that wierd of a guy. :D

bigq
03-02-2004, 08:47 AM
Knowing what i know I would just save your money and forget about buying a boat.:D or I guess you could buy the Cole, if you like that kinda thing.;)

HighRoller
03-02-2004, 08:57 AM
My advice is to get something that you won't cry over if you ding it a few times. You will, in the course of loading, unloading docking and maneuvering, get some dock rash and a few scratches from other learning experiences. Make sure you learn to drive it by yourself first before trying to maneuver with a boat full of people. This will make it less embarrassing when you try to dock with a boat full of peeps.

Outnumbered
03-02-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by burtandnancy
Babbrad, been boating at Lake Mead since the mid sixties, and all I can recommend is save a few more dollars and start with a 24 footer, otherwise you may miss a lot of good boating days. You just missed a super clean 24 Hallett with a 525SC for less than a good 21 would cost, so keep you eyes open. Also, pray for lots of water on the left side of the Rockies...
The thought of a rookie boater in a 24' with a 525 scares me. I think he is on the right track with the 350/21' combo. Although I have grown up around boats, my Lavey was the first one I have owned. It was a perfect starter boat and we have been using it for about 4 years now. We are very pleased and will probably make the jump to a 24' next year or maybe even a 21' Lavey NuEra. We boat almost exclusively at Mead. If you are careful, you can boat this lake in a 21'. The 21' is a perfect size to become familiar with skiing, docking, and launching.
Good luck!
OL

Steamin' Rice
03-02-2004, 09:30 AM
If you are new to boating, I would suggest buying a clean used boat in the 21'-24' size range. If you have it for a couple of seasons and decide that you are not into boating, you should be able to sell it without taking too much of a hit. I would look for something with a bravo drive and a stock EFI motor, which would probably be a 1995 or newer boat.

Hemiroid
03-02-2004, 10:08 AM
IF YOU REALLY ARE "BAD" BRAD,
TIME TO SACK UP AND BUY A V-DRIVE.
BLOWN ALCOHOL HYDRO,,,,,

FastTimmy
03-02-2004, 10:27 AM
Go BIG or go HOME...
Just find a good used boat that you can learn in. Your first boat in itself will tell you what you rely want to own after 1 year.
Just my .02

little rowe boat
03-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Go with the Howard 220 offshore,it's a good stable boat for a first time boat owner and will handle the rough stuff on Mead with the 24 and 25 footers.

jackpunx
03-02-2004, 11:19 AM
Get a 5k jet boat... you will learn how to work on them at the same time:D .. Most of us started with either jet boats or Vdrives... It builds Character to get pulled in a couple of times.. and you wont be bummed when you ding an old boat.. You may not even like it.. so why take the big hit.. The Cole for sale is a great one. He is local and can help you so that you don’t have to re invent the wheel.. Keep that in mind as well.. You cant really put a price on that..
Good luck..

mirvin
03-02-2004, 11:27 AM
I know a real nice 21 foot Crusader that you can pick up for 10k:D 5.7 (350) with a VP290 drive. Would be great for your first boat.;)
mirvin

jackpunx
03-02-2004, 11:47 AM
I think that guy will deliver too:D

mirvin
03-02-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by jackpunx
I think that guy will deliver too:D
I betcha he'd at least meet him in Havasu:D

roln 20s
03-02-2004, 01:01 PM
If you are going used- check out:
1) Outcole'ds Cole
2) there is a used 2002 22 Howard Sport with a 350 Mag for sale on boattrader- awesome boat (the previous owners are on this site: GT and Dr Marg) I think its around 41K
3) Salty Crakers 2003 22 Vision- for sale on here- mid 30's I believe
New- check out:
1) Ultra 21 RS, 21 Stealth and 22 Stealth
2) Shockwave 21 Step Skier (I bet you can check with Kilrtoy- he might sell his to get a new Shockwave-he has a really hot wife :D)
3) Essex 21 Sterling
4) Vision 22 (Made at Essex)
Good luck
Roln 20s

badbrad
03-02-2004, 01:57 PM
what about an old spectra? I have a budget of about $15k and I would like to hold about 8 people. How do I know I am not getting ripped off on the price? I've looked at asking prices vs. NADA and there is a big difference.

Outnumbered
03-02-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by badbrad
what about an old spectra? I have a budget of about $15k and I would like to hold about 8 people. How do I know I am not getting ripped off on the price? I've looked at asking prices vs. NADA and there is a big difference.
NADA is pretty much BS in my opinion. Maybe dealers would try to steal your boat for the NADA price on a trade-in but its not real world right now. Demand it too high and the price of new boats is out of control. My boat NADAs for around $6-7k and I would not let it go for less than $14-15K. There was a thread on this topic about a guy who had inherited an old Schiada a while back. The NADA price was wacked, people were offering him double and tripple sight-unseen.
OL

DEEZ NUTTS
03-02-2004, 02:35 PM
Start shooting-up heroin now. Forget the boat. The heroin will save you money .:D :D :D

ITS ALL GOOD
03-02-2004, 02:48 PM
FOR YOUR FIRST BOAT DONT GO BIG AND FAST , GO MANAGEABLE AND RELIABLE, DOES NOT MATTER HOW YOU GET THERE AS LONG AS YOU GET THERE, ESPECIALLLY WHEN TAKING FAMILY. A GOOD USED PRODUCTION BOAT , SUCH AS A FOUR WYNNS OR A CHAPPARAL , 19 TO 21 FOOT , SMALL BLOCK OR EVEN A 4.3LITER V6, WOULD MAKE AN EXCELLENT FIRST BOAT AND WOULD LET YOU DECIDE WHAT YOU WANT IN YOUR NEXT BOAT AS WELL AS ALLOWING YOU TO LEARN HOW TO MANUEVER AROUND THE DOCK AND HOW TO PROPERLY ANCHOR AND TIE OFF, BUT NO MATTER WHAT YOU DECIDE, GOOD LUCK AND LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU AT THE LAKE..:)

Chase
03-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Take a whole bunch of girls with you when you are boat shopping. The boat that they show the most intrest in is the one to buy. I am just thinking ahead to when you get to the lake....if the girls that you took with you liked it, then the girls at the lake will like it too.........You can't tell me that you don't want something that the girls like...;) :D :D

Chase
03-02-2004, 02:53 PM
If you are looking for a boat bigger than an 18 foot, do nopt go any smaller than a 5.0 or a 5.7. Make sure it is fuel injected, and watch the little details as far as the fit and finish of the boat, storage areas for everything, the quality of the upolstery...Bottom line is that you get what you pay for. In most cases it is better to have too much power than not enough, since the throttle controls how fast you go, and lots of time your first boat is inadequet, and it is only a costly lesson.

jackpunx
03-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Chase
Take a whole bunch of girls with you when you are boat shopping. The boat that they show the most intrest in is the one to buy. I am just thinking ahead to when you get to the lake....if the girls that you took with you liked it, then the girls at the lake will like it too.........You can't tell me that you don't want something that the girls like...;) :D :D
Or you could always join a band:D

mirvin
03-02-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by badbrad
I don't think you're going to get 8 people in a 21 footer. Not even an open bow, unless you have 3 of em sitting permanantly in the front:(
You probly want to find something that's ready to go, that you won't have to put a bunch of money /time/ work into, right? For you're price range your looking at 80's to early 90's like Eliminator, Carrera, Commander, Crusader, Advantage etc. I see them all the time under 20k.
You can certainly find some nice older day cruisers (Spectra etc) but you're looking at a project (needs lots of work) or something that's already been restored and might be out of your price range. And you're only gonna get 5 adults in a closed bow day cruiser.
mirvin

Tom Brown
03-02-2004, 04:32 PM
I think you should buy this boat. $200 with trailer. :cool:
Throw an OMC 115 V4 on there and kick some ass. :D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=608500

spectras only
03-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Mirvin , the 20' [20'10"] spectra daycruiser is rated to carry 8 passenger:p . At one time I had 10 peeps on mine [idling around on a lake ;) ].After I've modified the double seats [ passenger side] the boat was comfortable for 6 :D .After I've modified the two buckets two rear jumpseat for two buckets with a rear bench on my 24's cockpit, I can seat 5 + 4 in the cabin .The 24 spectra is probably the most spacious of all the old boats in the 24' range.The Howard 25' Citation maybe a little bigger.

Mike67rs
03-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by OutCole'd
I have a recommendation for you,
COLE
and this one is here in Vegas.
I think you should check this one out..Cole makes a very strong boat...
Take your time to look at a lot of boats. Boattrader.com, classifieds etc. Spend as much time here as you can. It was this board that steered me in the right direction on my new boat purchase.

mirvin
03-02-2004, 05:15 PM
Hey Spectra's Only,
I kinda figured I'd be hearing from you on this one:D
I should've just said "why would you want 8 people on your boat"????? Or "dude, just grab 3 of your friends and stretch out a little". :)
My 21 open bow could easily handle 9 but who wants to be stuck in the bow with two other idiots all the way to Copper Canyon? Plus, where ya gonna put the keg!!
He'll have to learn the hard way though:wink:
mirvin

spectras only
03-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
I should've just said "why would you want 8 people on your boat"?????
put the keg!!
mirvin Hey Mirvin, why do you think I've reduced the seating capacity on my boat;)? 8 peeps were way too many rubbing shoulders with:eek: .Especially when my friends wanted to bring their whole families along, no room for coolers:rolleyes: :D

OutCole'd
03-02-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by THOR
Seriously, Outcold's Cole is killer. I honestly cant see why it hasnt sold yet. He is not that wierd of a guy. :D
Thanks Thor..... I think.:D

ROZ
03-02-2004, 09:10 PM
So did he make an offer on yer boat yet, OC? :D

OutCole'd
03-02-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
So did he make an offer on yer boat yet, OC? :D
No, He is looking to spend around 15K.
Besides, I think I am going to keep the Cole and use it a dingy for the Magic.:D

SJRS1
03-03-2004, 02:15 PM
24 ft schiada still available, will let go for 15k
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=581751

mirvin
03-03-2004, 02:25 PM
Hey SJRS1, where can I see that 24 you got 4 sale?
mirvin