PDA

View Full Version : Nordic, Hallett, Howard

surfer2001
03-03-2004, 08:40 PM
I just got a new 2004 25 Rage, for 63K did I do good? I looked at the Hallett 255 (71K) & the Howard 25 Bullett (83K). I chose the Nordic because it out performed both of the others & Was less expensive. The Nordic also IMO had the best hull. I got it with the 496 HO MAG 425 HP = 77 mph gps (according to Power Boat Mag.

BoatFloating
03-03-2004, 10:19 PM
Not to burst your bubble and congrats on the new boat but the Howard Bullet is the best in class and rated highly by alot of the mags.

HavasuDreamin'
03-04-2004, 06:06 AM
No doubt the Howard is a nice boat, probably nicer than the Nordic. However, I don't care for the lines on the 25'er. I think you did very well, Nordic builds a great boat that should be trouble free for many years. :cool:

Kachina26
03-04-2004, 06:29 AM
If 20k were no object for me, I would have gotten the Howard also back when I was boat shopping. But 50k was my limit, and I ended up spending 65k so as you can see I already pushed my upper limit. Congrats on the new ride!

Essex502
03-04-2004, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by surfer2001
I just got a new 2004 25 Rage, for 63K did I do good? I looked at the Hallett 255 (71K) & the Howard 25 Bullett (83K). I chose the Nordic because it out performed both of the others & Was less expensive. The Nordic also IMO had the best hull. I got it with the 496 HO MAG 425 HP = 77 mph gps (according to Power Boat Mag.
Congrat's on the new boat but don't be surprised if you don't see the MPH as reported in a magazine as the mags always seem to get more speed out of the boats than us mere mortals can.

surfer2001
03-04-2004, 07:54 AM
No worries about busting any bubbles here. I was looking for “other” opinions. All of the boats are awesome, and I would have been happy with any of those three. Is the Howard 20 grand better? I think not. Both the Nordic & the Howard hit middle 70 ies. With the Nordic maybe + 2, The Hallett topped out at about 71. The Hallett has a convention hull, while both the Nordic & Howard are stepped. Also, I would have had to wait till July to get either the Howard or Hallett. I wanted my boat NOW. Thanks for the replies.
See you at Havasu and the River , I'm there almost every weekend. What did someone say "SandBar", "Foxes", "RoadRunner". Show me your......
hee hee

roln 20s
03-04-2004, 08:07 AM
surfer2001- I'm a huge Howard fan, and think they make one of the best boats, period. But I do admire your logic, is it worth 20K? Thats why each boat manufacturer has its own niche and consumers have choices. Enjoy the Nordic, definately a nice boat, you did well.
Roln 20s

rivercrazy
03-04-2004, 08:59 AM
IMO the Nordic has the best looking deck lines of all those boats. 77 does sound a bit optimistic for a 496HO.:D

jbtrailerjim
03-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Congrats on the new Nordic. You did good. The 25 Rage is a helluva nice boat. All three boats you mentioned are awesome boats. I'd be happy with any one of those boats. I agree with the above post that the Howard is nicer. But.....I'm with you. I'm not quite sure if the Howard is worth the extra $20K. Good luck with new boat and see ya in Havasu.:cool:

surfer2001
03-04-2004, 11:49 AM
Here is a better shot & THX for all comments.

BoatFloating
03-04-2004, 12:23 PM
sufer2001, sorry if my first post cam off rude it wasn't meant. When I looked a couple years back the Nordic 25' rage was on my short list. I think it's one of the nicest boats out there in all areas. for the price and quality you made the correct choice. Enjoy the summer.

PHX ATC
03-05-2004, 06:17 AM
Good choice of rides. The Howard is a rippin ride too, but I agree with the $20K difference - a little out of control for our budget too. You'll have plenty of fun with the Nordic. It has some shortcomings that can be fixed or upgraded later without too much trouble.
I don't think you'll be able to get 77 out of her, but maybe you could, downhill with a tailwind.:D I never have gotten her to run full out without backing off.

surfer2001
03-05-2004, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by PHX ATC
Good choice of rides. The Howard is a rippin ride too, but I agree with the $20K difference - a little out of control for our budget too. You'll have plenty of fun with the Nordic. It has some shortcomings that can be fixed or upgraded later without too much trouble.
I don't think you'll be able to get 77 out of her, but maybe you could, downhill with a tailwind.:D I never have gotten her to run full out without backing off.
Yea, that 77 number is tuffy, & I got that straight out of PowerBoat Mag. But they got that off a nordog GPS. Actually I don't really care, anything over 70 is hauling a$$. Don't tell my wife, but I did hit 80 on the trailer.....holy $hit
Saw you pics (very nice), I came so close getting exactly the same graphics. Luckly we found something a little different.
What shortcomings are you talking about? I already dumped 2 grand into the stereo....

PHX ATC
03-05-2004, 07:45 AM
Silly little things on mine: gauge bezels are plasticky white (anondized red or silver is better), cup holder inserts are plasticky white (same color & material), there was no drive shower (easy install), no remote for the stereo (I look funny trying to adjust the volume with my foot in the midcabin and trying to drive), no compartment dividers in the engine hatch (some wood and carpet will fix that), the "Nordic" label and monster inlay in the rear bench seat comes undone too fast.
I could have gotten all this stuff if I'd ordered it, I know, but these are some things that I have changed or will change in the future. No big deal, it obviously didn't stop me from purchasing it, just little things that would've suited me better that I will know next time to get right out of the shoot.
Oh yeah, the trailer could use some rollers or titanium skid pads underneat the rear of it where it sits soooooooooo low.
I'm not even going to upgrade the stereo because I just can't compete with everyone else who has the butt massaging, thigh jiggling $6K-$10K stereos!:D Mine's a stocker and always will be!

throttlejunkie
03-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Congrats, on the purchase of the Nordic. I just picked up 2003 Rage with 50 hrs. 5yr. warranty , loaded for 45k. And love it!:cool: :cool: :cool:

surfer2001
03-05-2004, 05:23 PM
Wow 45K, I sure hope it works out, I had to go new. I thought I saved 20K when I got my last boat used. It had 132 hrs on it. The engine was a 454 Mag. 5th time out I lost power, the previous owner had old gas & that caused the valves to tulip. Next was fuel system issues, then the drive & so on & so on. All in all, I spent over 10K fixing the dam thing. As I always say thats BOATING.......
GOOD LUCK & ENJOY

throttlejunkie
03-05-2004, 05:29 PM
I know the origanal owner.. so I'am confident that it was a great purchase..

dicudmore
03-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Congratulations. The Nordic is a great boat, you will love it.

C-2
03-05-2004, 11:36 PM
I'm not even going to upgrade the stereo because I just can't compete with everyone else who has the butt massaging, thigh jiggling $6K-$10K stereos!:D Mine's a stocker and always will be!
Smart man and agreed! :)
Surfer2001
Congrats on the boat, you couldn't of gone wrong with any of your choices.

TPI
03-06-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by throttlejunkie
Congrats, on the purchase of the Nordic. I just picked up 2003 Rage with 50 hrs. 5yr. warranty , loaded for 45k. And love it!:cool: :cool: :cool:
Now thats a good deal!:D You saved $40,000.00 over the Howard, just by waiting a year for the resale.(joking) Seriously though, the Howard could be sold without all of the balsa coring, the lifetime hull warrantee, the Billet seat bases, and all Billet through bolted hardware, and I would bet the price would be about $15K less, But then it wouldnt be a Howard. There is a boat out there for everyone. I believe that anyone that can buy a boat 25' long with a 496HO for under 70K is getting a very good deal, a lot of manufacturers couldnt touch that price, once again, good job. As far as the speed goes, you will have to drive the boat and see what you can get it to do. Some days will be better than others, depending on water/weather conditions. Have fun with it.

RJ Nordic
03-06-2004, 08:14 PM
Good choice surfer...Now, we expect to see you at the Jamboree in July....right:D

Kilrtoy
03-06-2004, 09:47 PM
If that boat with a stock 496 does 77, Ill buy one,
Most boats in that class with an HP500 dont even hit 77.

TPI
03-07-2004, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
If that boat with a stock 496 does 77, Ill buy one,
Most boats in that class with an HP500 dont even hit 77.
Kilroy, that is so true. The thing is: Speed does not stand alone. The key is: How does a boat handle at that speed? I am talking about any V- Bottom. Everytime the speed topic comes up, i get sucked in. I spend a lot of time trying to make boats go fast, with as little power as possible, its very difficult. I have seen boats in the past run well at 75 mph and handle perfectly, but at 78 become totally out of control. You would usually find this scenario with a non step bottom. Then you throw in the cooler, 3 passengers, some towels, innertubes, and 100 plus temps, and now the accelleration is shot, it takes forever to plane, and the top end will suffer. This goes for just about any V-Bottom. It would be cool to go on a test ride in the above conditions, because thats what the reality of our boating is, isnt it?:confused:

surfer2001
03-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Just got back in home, (weekday home) anyway. I had 10 adults on the boat today, in rough, windy, choppy water, we hit 69 @ 4900 RMP the boat ran so smooth I couldn’t believe it. Fully loaded that boat still jumped out of the hole, up on plane in seconds. Saturday with 3 on board the speedo was reading 75, & I had a ton gas in the tank. I’m so impressed with this boat. Nordics rock.

wildbillg
03-08-2004, 07:02 AM
Glad your having fun with your new boat!!
I have owned 2 nordics now and I sell them now!
I also think they are great boats and the wife WANTS me to get another. The lines of the boat are so sleek and I like the idea of a real windshield.
Surfer2001:
Im glad your having fun with the boat, wish I could have met up with you at the shop but I was at the boat show when you piced up your new toy, have fun with it!!

Essex502
03-08-2004, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by surfer2001
Just got back in home, (weekday home) anyway. I had 10 adults on the boat today, in rough, windy, choppy water, we hit 69 @ 4900 RMP the boat ran so smooth I couldn?t believe it. Fully loaded that boat still jumped out of the hole, up on plane in seconds. Saturday with 3 on board the speedo was reading 75, & I had a ton gas in the tank. I?m so impressed with this boat. Nordics rock.
GPS or speedometer numbers? Glad to hear it ran well!

PHX ATC
03-08-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by surfer2001 the speedo was reading 75
I think he said speedo.:p

surfer2001
03-08-2004, 09:36 AM
http://www.powerboatmagazine.com/2001tests/dec2.php[/url]
specs included

PHX ATC
03-08-2004, 11:27 AM
The powerboat spec boat had a lab finished 26P prop which probably helped a little on the top end. I'm running a B1 24P which is not lab finished nor anything fancy. I'm not sure what surfer2001 is running, but I bet it's close to the same thing.
If surfer2001 is happy with his top end, then more power to the brother! He's a happy guy with his performance and will continue to be! :)

wildbillg
03-08-2004, 11:37 AM
truly the boat is running in the mid 70's with the 496HO, it is on e of the fastest stock power boats out there right now.
Whenever I'm out with a customer in a new 0 hour boat we allways get it in the low 70's and I have even got one customer out there with a closed bow 25 rage running a mag motor (375hp) and he is telling numbers in the mid 70's on gps.

Essex502
03-08-2004, 03:37 PM
I think he said speedo.:p
Could be a GPS speedo versus standard water pickup type.

SBullet
03-08-2004, 06:36 PM
Surfer 2001,
Congrats on the new Nordic!! You invested your money wisely. I also have a 25 and I am very please with the performance and stability of the Boat.

surfer2001
03-08-2004, 07:03 PM
Like the blue on yours, very nice. any complaints, would you have done anything different?
IMO
The good:
power & performance
handeling
looks
built in removable cooler
workmanship
Wife likes
The not so good:
Sound system
Very Little storage
No drive shower (I'm adding one this week)
hard to complain about hee hee
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=39857

PHX ATC
03-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Essex502
Could be a GPS speedo versus standard water pickup type.
Ah, the way you said it, I thought handheld GPS versus speedo.
Mine goes 1 meeeeeeeeeelion miles an hour.
Hurtling through space parked on mother earth.:D

SBullet
03-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Surfer 2001
I pretty much added every option available:
External Steering
Drive Shower
Dana Tabs
Depth finder
GPS Speedo
Tow Cover
The only thing I wish I would have different is the motor! I want more power!! After the warranty expires I am going to take it to Arizona Speed and Marine and install the intake manifold, it will add another 100 HP.:D :D