PDA

View Full Version : american offshore deck boat

rollindeep
03-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Hello im pretty new to boating and have someone trying to sell me a 2006 28' american offshore deck boat wondering if anyone can tell me if this is a good boat or not thanx for your help

Charley
03-28-2006, 11:04 PM
Hello im pretty new to boating and have someone trying to sell me a 2006 28' american offshore deck boat wondering if anyone can tell me if this is a good boat or not thanx for your help
It's a good running bottom, They are coming off a change of ownership so I can't speak for layup or fit and finish but my guess is it's a pretty solid boat.

LOWRIVER2
03-29-2006, 05:27 AM
Call Keith Sayre at Conquest Boats:
The AO hull was developed from the Conquest and Keith will give you all the answers you can imagine for that hull.

LOWRIVER2
03-29-2006, 05:28 AM
Keith's number:928-680-1400

Extreme Marine Az
03-29-2006, 05:50 AM
Call Keith Sayre at Conquest Boats:
The AO hull was developed from the Conquest and Keith will give you all the answers you can imagine for that hull.
So did AO splash the Conquest???

OGShocker
03-29-2006, 06:25 AM
So did AO splash the Conquest???
I thought it was the other way around. AO had the Talon bottom, Conquest got ahold of it then made the made their (Conquests) own deck. AO got pissed and knocked off the Conquest top. Most of this is just yet another Hot Boat rumor...:D

SoCalSouthpaw
03-29-2006, 08:59 AM
I thought it was the other way around. AO had the Talon bottom, Conquest got ahold of it then made the made their (Conquests) own deck. AO got pissed and knocked off the Conquest top. Most of this is just yet another Hot Boat rumor...:D
I believe this is exactly what happened. Nonetheless, Ed - the original owner of AO is back at the helm. So, you're safe with an AO. .....Also, I believe they use balsa wood in their construction. This apparently facilitates higher than average speed for a boat in that size. DOO IT!

Jesster
04-09-2006, 04:55 PM
I am taking delivery of an American Offshore deck boat at the end of the month. I have ridden in both boats and can honestly say there are few differences. The two obvious ones are the rails at the bow and the cockpit area is slightly different. The AO does use balsa in its construction in areas that from what I understand Conquest does not but I could be wrong you would have to ask Keith about that.
Conquest has really dialed in the details of their boat but there are no dramatic differences. The walk through hull is not available in the AO but I personally like the extra seating.
The AO was faster than the Conquest even though the Conquest I drove was equipped with Volvo Penta 600 and the Duo prop, and the AO was equipped with the 496HO and the Bravo X drive. I would have to say that it was probably due to engine tuning issues, the conquest was used, and not necessarily with boat problems or design.
The lack of Gel colors will probably influence most people to go with the Conquest but we are having ours painted before taking delivery so I will post pictures and you can decide for yourselves. And I like the fact that the graphics can be more easily changed as they become old or outdated. The biggest difference in the boats is obviously price and having to pay 25K more for the Conquest with the exact same options was the final decision maker. The prices are taken directly from the Conquest and the AO pricelists. I am sure there will be a lot of people thinking or saying you get what you pay for and I personally think they are correct but after having ridden in and driven both the differences between the boats is not 25k worth not even 5K worth in my opinion but you would have to drive both and decide for yourselves. I have read the term "flexy flyer" :rollside: used in certain posts but I think anybody that is familiar with the way Ed builds boats will agree that that is not the case. The boat comes in at about 4400 lbs or so and that is a little lighter than the Conquest lay-up so probably accounts for the AO being a few MPH faster under the same power.
When we went out on the water at Lake Pleasant in Phoenix there was a Magic deck out on the water at the same time with the same number of people. I can’t say what power it was under but we stayed dead even for a mile or so until one of us moved to the back of the boat then the AO pulled easily away. AO went through some tough times 2-3 years ago but the problems have been taken care of and Ed is back building the boats, and the guy responsible for those problems is, from what I understand, in Jail in LHC.
If anybody wants any info, Cliff Waters, I’m sure, would be more than happy to answer questions. You can call him at 480-225-0772 he was great to deal with and they do paint and interior work on site. Last time I was there they had a 40' Skater "Out of Control" in for repair work (what a beautiful boat) :) to the front sponson the work was finished, and to me was impossible to tell exactly where the work had been done. I was told the original paint work on it cost 40k. Our paint work will be done by Friday of next week so like I said I will post some pictures.

Jesster
04-10-2006, 01:29 PM
I forgot to mention we also checked out the Magic again beautiful boat but really nothing you couldnt get with the AO and still come in at least 20K less expensive.