03-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Wear it!
DMB

Essex502
03-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Fantastic....smarmy bitch that she is.

OGShocker
03-05-2004, 12:22 PM
NEW YORK (AP) - Martha Stewart was convicted Friday of obstructing justice and lying to the government about a superbly timed stock sale, a devastating verdict that probably means prison for the woman who epitomizes meticulous homemaking and gracious living.
The jury of eight women and four men deliberated three days before convicting Stewart of all counts against her. The charges carry up to 20 years in prison, but Stewart will most certainly get much less than that under federal sentencing guidelines.
Her ex-stockbroker Peter Bacanovic, 41, was convicted on all but one count against him, making a false statement.
The charges centered on why Stewart dumped about $228,000 worth of ImClone Systems stock on Dec. 27, 2001, just a day before it was announced that the Food and Drug Administration had rejected ImClone's application for approval of a cancer drug, an announcement sent ImClone's stock plummeting.
Stewart and Bacanovic claimed they had a standing agreement to sell when the price fell below $60. But the government contended that was a phony cover story and that Stewart sold because she was tipped by her broker that ImClone CEO Sam Waksal was frantically trying to dump his own holdings.

HighRoller
03-05-2004, 12:26 PM
What a stupid, greedy bitch. She is worth more than a billion dollars. She sold the stock to protect a net profit of less than 50,000 DOLLARS!! That's like one of us throwing away our lives for a quarter. She got what she desrved, even though you know she'll get a cream puff sentence at Club Fed and be back on TV within five years.

78Eliminator
03-05-2004, 12:39 PM
Hey dude, any time in any kind of prison is bad news. And think of all the money she is going to be losing while she is in, not to mentoin her popularity.
I would not give any of my time for prison for any amount of money.

bigd1
03-05-2004, 01:30 PM
Convicted felon is a BIG DEAL. Probably means the end of her leadership of her company, etc. I'm convinced she cheated but in the grand scheme, what a monumental waste of time & money.

welk2party
03-05-2004, 02:10 PM
In the end, does it really matter. Back in the 80's a brilliant trader by the name of Michael Millken created junk bonds and bilked the public of obscene amounts of money. He did time in a country club prison and the feds were never able to account for millions that he most likley kept. Today he is well regarded in the industry and still has ties to the finance industry. He even gets paid from what I understand, big $ to speak and lecture about trading techniques.
Martha cheated for her personal gain, to the tune of what, a quarter mil. Not chump change I will grant you, but we have bigger fish to fry. What about Enron and MCI and all the others. Those are irreversable tragedies. I am glad she is being punished for an illegal act. Definately helps to keep the pension funds going and the honest guy a chance to keep playing on an even field.
The problem with the stock market is that it is based on perception and not reality. Companies are more concerned about meeting analsyt projections for the quarter rather than building a solid long-term financially viable company that rewards its owners with something valuable.
Sorry for the rant.

Essex502
03-08-2004, 07:08 AM
If your net worth is $1 Million then the $50K Martha would have lost if you sold the stock the next day - legally would be equivalent to $119 to YOU. That is comparing the $50K to her estimated net worth of $420 Million as of the beginning of the day last Friday.
Greed is NOT good!

HavasuDreamin'
03-08-2004, 07:16 AM
My guess is she will receive a suspended sentence and a boat load of community service. She made a dumb move, and should be punished, but I doubt she will do time. I could be wrong.