PDA

View Full Version : Head Dilemma

65 +please
03-05-2004, 01:53 PM
I am building a 509 BBC. This is only a 9 to 1 motor. I need your advice on which cam,carb and intake to run. The motor is being built for pleasure only. it's going in a 20.5 daycruiser jet. IM only looking to run 65+. I hope that's not asking a lot.
I also have been hearing around that you can't run 990 heads on a gen. 5 motor. Please say it aint so. as I have invested a lot of money in these suckers. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Rich

Fiat48
03-05-2004, 06:39 PM
Seems in one of the threads Info told me you could use the heads on a Mark V. Different head gasket was required. Trying to find that thread and then will edit with a link.
Here: http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40261 :D

cstraub
03-08-2004, 06:52 AM
They will leak. ..thats why the Gen V was only around for a couple of years.
Chris

Hotcrusader76
03-08-2004, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by 65 +please
I am building a 509 BBC. This is only a 9 to 1 motor. I need your advice on which cam,carb and intake to run. The motor is being built for pleasure only. it's going in a 20.5 daycruiser jet. IM only looking to run 65+. I hope that's not asking a lot.
I also have been hearing around that you can't run 990 heads on a gen. 5 motor. Please say it aint so. as I have invested a lot of money in these suckers. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Rich
If you're going into a set of 990 heads with a mild lift cam 0.580"+ then (110-112LSA) look into a Victor Jr intake and a mechanical secondary 950cfm Holley.
If you decide to step down into the large oval ports consider running an "Air-Gap" dual plane and 750 or 950 vacuum secondary.
You did mention this was a family lake boat, well those 990 heads won't wake up until you've just passed the family boat barrier on that low of a compressoin. Just my opinion.
I'm sure many folks in this gearhead section could expand on your application and what may work best with what you've already purchased. IMHO....run more compression (10.25:1 Pump gas safe) and the Victor/HP950 combo.
~Ty