PDA

View Full Version : Paging fiat 48

Blown 472
03-05-2004, 03:01 PM
You ever rear wheel dyno a car with a big stall? we did yesterday and got some strange results.

HBjet
03-05-2004, 04:13 PM
Curious, why did you dyno the car when you can tell what is does at the track?
Anyways, what where the results?
HBjet
:D

Blown 472
03-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by HBjet
Curious, why did you dyno the car when you can tell what is does at the track?
Anyways, what where the results?
HBjet
:D
Not my car, buddies car that ran 10.59 at 123/24 last year, did some intake work and other shizt and it was only showing 410 at the rear wheels and only top speed of 116 mph, I think they had some strange correction factors in, not sure but it showed a tire diameter of 24.5 inches when he runs 28 inch tall tire. Inertesting stuff, opened the plug gag from .035 to .042 and picked up 6 hp at the wheels. Otherwise it flattend out at 6000 rpm. That is what we are trying to figure out, has a 5000 rpm stall in it.

Fiat48
03-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Blown, I am not big on Dyno's. I'm not knocking them, just not big on them. I guess I better explain those instances before I start a dyno war.
Situation #1: A UGF 540" Chevy runs 119 mph. It's quicker than most the field but won't run MPH like the rest of the field. After trying many combo's of fuel systems, camshafts, cylinder head work,igniton system, and boat reworking the boat still goes 119 & change and runs only 7000 r.p.m. It's quick and wins some races but it's not fast. Finally the engine is removed and given to a "very known HNRA record holder" with a dyno in LA area. To be dynoed to find the problem. The motor comes back with cylinder head work, camshaft major changes and a Dyno sheet showing over 1000 hp...along with a $4000 bill. The boat loses 4/10 e.t. and now runs 117.
Situation #2: A basic prepared LS-7 motor runs 150 mph in 8.50 seconds in a drag car. The "new owner" forgets to shift the car once too often and finally drops a valve. The new owner gives the motor to his hero "World famous engine builder" in his area and a new engine is built. Complete with dyno sheets showing very high HP to the tune of $10,000. The car runs 8.80's in the 140's. With the same induction and ignition it had before.
Situation #3: Local AA/gas racer here blows up KB Chevys (Blown Alcohol) every couple races. Tune up related. Decides he's going computer system on the car and takes it to Mallory who has a chassis dyno facility to tune it. Storys abound about how shocked the crew at Mallory is about how much HP this car makes, ceiling panels in the building are blown off just from the exhaust pressures in the dyno room, most powerful car they have ever seen, etc, etc. Dyno sheets and computer data is now in hand. Result? The car fails to qualify at Bakersfield even for the "B" field. And the motor is lost on the 2nd run.
That said, the readings are always interesting in relation to where the motor make power and where it falls off, rather than peak HP or corrected hp numbers.
So, clue me in on what you guys were dynoing? What kind of motor and how heavy the car? :D

Blown 472
03-05-2004, 05:07 PM
My buddies 65 dart with the single four small block. I am thinking the car will run 10.40's this year with the reworked intake and better head gaskets. Guess we will find out next month as the strip will open. I guess it was good to find out the best plug gap and the air fuel ratio was pretty damn good to.

Fiat48
03-05-2004, 05:14 PM
Losing that much speed would be about 75 RWHP lost. Guessing the car weighs 2800 lbs. What ignition system used on the car?
High stalls always lose mph but done right make e.t. It's just converter slip.

HBjet
03-05-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Fiat48
Blown, I am not big on Dyno's. I'm not knocking them, just not big on them. I guess I better explain those instances before I start a dyno war.
Situation #1: A PGF 540" Chevy runs 119 mph. It's quicker than most the field but won't run MPH like the rest of the field. After trying many combo's of fuel systems, camshafts, cylinder head work,igniton system, and boat reworking the boat still goes 119 & change and runs only 7000 r.p.m. It's quick and wins some races but it's not fast. Finally the engine is removed and given to a "very known HNRA record holder" with a dyno in LA area. To be dynoed to find the problem. The motor comes back with cylinder head work, camshaft major changes and a Dyno sheet showing over 1000 hp...along with a $4000 bill. The boat loses 4/10 e.t. and now runs 117.
Situation #2: A basic prepared LS-7 motor runs 150 mph in 8.50 seconds in a drag car. The "new owner" forgets to shift the car once too often and finally drops a valve. The new owner gives the motor to his hero "World famous engine builder" in his area and a new engine is built. Complete with dyno sheets showing very high HP to the tune of $10,000. The car runs 8.80's in the 140's. With the same induction and ignition it had before.
Situation #3: Local AA/gas racer here blows up KB Chevys (Blown Alcohol) every couple races. Tune up related. Decides he's going computer system on the car and takes it to Mallory who has a chassis dyno facility to tune it. Storys abound about how shocked the crew at Mallory is about how much HP this car makes, ceiling panels in the building are blown off just from the exhaust pressures in the dyno room, most powerful car they have ever seen, etc, etc. Dyno sheets and computer data is now in hand. Result? The car fails to qualify at Bakersfield even for the "B" field. And the motor is lost on the 2nd run.
That said, the readings are always interesting in relation to where the motor make power and where it falls off, rather than peak HP or corrected hp numbers.
So, clue me in on what you guys were dynoing? What kind of motor and how heavy the car? :D
That's interesting, thanks...
Question for you though.... with the first situation you mentioned, the PGF 540, where the runs made with the same weather conditions, track conditions, and exact same set of lights? I only ask because those are factors which could effect the times... and I'm sure you knew that... just asking.
HBjet

Fiat48
03-05-2004, 05:43 PM
The UGF with the 540 was run for 2 full race seasons. It's most famous speed was 119.68. It was so consistant that it was a little bit of a joke. Sunny Jones used to monitor the speeds to know if the course was set up right. Et's would vary with air conditions but speeds were always the same.
One time at Red Bluff a bet was made that the boat would run 119 with a spark plug wire off. Was a $200 bet. The boat ran 119 with #7 plug wire grounded. :D

Fiat48
03-05-2004, 11:06 PM
An old clipping from Red Bluff 1983.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3741983_828_x_564_-med.jpg

Blown 472
03-05-2004, 11:41 PM
Losing that much speed would be about 75 RWHP lost. Guessing the car weighs 2800 lbs. What ignition system used on the car?
High stalls always lose mph but done right make e.t. It's just converter slip.
car is over 3000 lbs, he tried the crane hi 6 but switched it over to my msd which seemed to work better. That is what I was thinking.

HBjet
03-06-2004, 01:27 AM
The PGF with the 540 was run for 2 full race seasons. It's most famous speed was 119.68. It was so consistant that it was a little bit of a joke. Sunny Jones used to monitor the speeds to know if the course was set up right. Et's would vary with air conditions but speeds were always the same.
One time at Red Bluff a bet was made that the boat would run 119 with a spark plug wire off. Was a $200 bet. The boat ran 119 with #7 plug wire grounded. :D
that is too damn funny, and if I was there, I would have lost $200 bucks!
HBjet:)

LakesOnly
03-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Situation #1: A PGF 540" Chevy runs 119 mph. It's quicker than most the field but won't run MPH like the rest of the field. After trying many combo's of fuel systems, camshafts, cylinder head work,igniton system, and boat reworking the boat still goes 119 & change and runs only 7000 r.p.m. It's quick and wins some races but it's not fast. Finally the engine is removed and given to a "very known HNRA record holder" with a dyno in LA area. To be dynoed to find the problem. The motor comes back with cylinder head work, camshaft major changes and a Dyno sheet showing over 1000 hp...along with a $4000 bill. The boat loses 4/10 e.t. and now runs 117.
I said it before in "Blower Motors" and I'll say it again:
STOPWATCH.
LO

Blown 472
03-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by LakesOnly
I said it before in "Blower Motors" and I'll say it again:
STOPWATCH.
LO
Stopwatch, stay in control, girl I want you here with me but I am..