PDA

View Full Version : What can I do to my motor???

htmer
02-28-2002, 02:39 PM
I have a 98 HTM sr-24 with a Marine Power 454 and a Nickerson built 1:74 B&M supercharger. This setup is too darn slow. Nothing internal has been done and Ive been told I cant put a bigger supercharger on the block. Ive got a Holley carb, Imco exhaust, and EMI headers is about all that has been done. I am not the most mechanically inclined person so any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.....

riverliver
02-28-2002, 05:33 PM
Take it over to GT Performance with a bag full of MONEY and that should take care of it
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Infomaniac
02-28-2002, 09:48 PM
htmer: You can put as big a blower as you can afford on it (and what will fit the boat). Just do not boost the hell out of it. A blower cam would help a lot.
Blower cam and a little more blower that will accomodate 2 carbs. should wake it up without worrying about the engine.
The 174 is the biggest that will fit that manifold.

Craig
03-01-2002, 03:58 AM
I'll agree with Infomaniac, if you could go to a 250 blower with dual carbs and a blower cam, you see a difference. I had a 250 on a stock 454 Mag shortblock. You just have to keep the rpms down below about 5500. You should upgrade the valves, ignitiion and fuel system as well if it wasn't already done. This basic set up made 697 horsepower on my 454.
Craig

htmer
03-01-2002, 07:34 AM
If i were to make the changes necessary to fit a bigger blower on my 454 block, what do you estimate the costs and what should i expect speed wise. It does about 70 now.

riverliver
03-01-2002, 10:29 AM
My cost as of today is close to 20K this is with a TBS 871 and inercooler and new imco drive this is with a lot of head and cam stuff.
good luck http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Craig
03-01-2002, 12:41 PM
I spent about $10,000. I did most of the mechanical work myself. The package consisted of B&M 250 w/2 750 Holleys, Lunati blower cam, full MSD ignition, upgraded fuel system. Heads had new valves, springs, screw in studs and roller rockers. This included the $600 for dyno time. The boat went 72-73 mph before and I hit 94.6 after. I did not have time to dial in the prop. Needed a bigger one because I was hitting 6000 rpm.
Craig
Drop me an e-mail at mltdwn12@qwest.net if you'd like more detail

htmer
03-01-2002, 01:16 PM
Craig, what boat did you do this work to?

Craig
03-01-2002, 05:38 PM
22' Advantage Sport Cat

Whipple Charged
03-01-2002, 08:56 PM
We have a new 3.3L supercharger package that would work well on that motor along with a head and cam change!
Thanks,
Dustin

htmer
03-04-2002, 07:09 AM
Email me some more info on that Whipplecharged. scotttinker@oemaviation.com
Thanks.

Catatonic
03-04-2002, 09:57 AM
Hey Whipple Charged. Do you offer a blower package for the 496 HO? I want to put it an HTM SR-24 and would like to know what kind of performance numbers I can expect.

BoatFloating
03-21-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Catatonic:
Hey Whipple Charged. Do you offer a blower package for the 496 HO? I want to put it an HTM SR-24 and would like to know what kind of performance numbers I can expect.
Cataonic, I put the Procharger system on my 496HO and picked up in a Carrera Party Effect about 15-20mph easy on only 3lbs of boost(safe). I know they are coming out this year with a 5lb system and that should take HP to 600+ easy. I think why wipple hasn't really put out one yet is they change computer programs and the new Merc computer is cripted and now body can get into the. The Procharger doesn't touch computer. Got any more questions email me.
BF.....

HavasuDreamin'
03-22-2002, 08:05 AM
IMHO, if I was going to upgrade from your current set-up, I would not go half way, I would go all the way. I look at it this way. Why put a 250 blower on it, change the cam to a blower cam, upgrade the valves and ignition, etc. and not do any head work or bottom end work. You need to pull the motor anyway to do that stuff. . . right? While I had the motor out, I would go the extra distance and put forged pistons, quality steel rods, some head work, etc. in it and put an 8-71 on top. You'll spend a little more now, but you will feel good when it is done and won't feel as though you only went half way. For me, if I didn't have the money to do it all the way right now, I would wait another year, enjoy the rig, and do it when I could. The last thing I would want, is to constantly wonder about my bottom end (motor that is) http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif My $.02
[This message has been edited by HavasuDreamin' (edited March 22, 2002).]

cougarmtr
03-22-2002, 11:51 PM
I was there, bought a 502 crate 450 hp ,bolted a 250 supercharger to it,Well it worked for a couple of seasons until i got brave enough to let her rip, i mean let it go.Replaced valve components ,Top end a must!meaning heavier valve train,bottom line,dont go second rate on anything,figure out what you want to do,as far as top end,and do it right.agree with havasu dreamin on this.