PDA

View Full Version : I have a question?

63stevens
03-06-2004, 03:15 PM
I'm in the process of fixing some bad spots and taking the hook out of my 72 Lavey 22' cruiser. I filled in the hook with a few lawyers of glass and resin. After grinding the glass and resin down and getting it as flat as possible I filled in the low spots with mar-glas. Once the mar-glas was set and sanded flat I still have some low spots. The problem with the mar-glass is that it doesn't give you much time to work with it and it doesn't go on like bondo. Because of the glass fibers in it you can't lay it out like you can with bondo. Is there anything you can use that doesn't absorb moisture but you can work with like bondo. Or should I just use bondo and when I get done put a coat of resin on it to seal it. I plan on putting gelcoat on the bottom when I get done.

Cole Sanger
03-06-2004, 04:06 PM
I used some Evercoat Rage on the interior of my boat a while back. I talked it over with Havasu Barney and he said it was fine. He liked the 3M products. He sprayed the gel on my interior after I prepped it and it came out great. It is just like Bondo. Easy to sand and you can work with it for a while so long as you don't mix too much hardener. Mix what the can says and you will be fine. Good Luck.

Rexone
03-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by 63stevens
I'm in the process of fixing some bad spots and taking the hook out of my 72 Lavey 22' cruiser. I filled in the hook with a few lawyers
While I can't give advice on the glass stuff I want to commend you on your efforts to clean up the judicial process. This is a good start.

DansBlown73Nordic
03-06-2004, 04:55 PM
I thought the same thing......:wink: Excellent spot to put all lawyers.....:p

63stevens
03-06-2004, 11:07 PM
sorry layers.

INEEDAV
03-07-2004, 07:09 AM
No, No. We like it better as lawyers.:D
I got excited when I thought about you grinding them up.

Sangerboy
03-07-2004, 07:16 AM
It's OK ssmike, as a brother in "careers where nobody likes you" I feel your pain;)

BILLY.B
03-07-2004, 07:25 AM
Evercoat products are great as far the bondo deal goes. As long as you put a coat of resin over it you'll be fine. But then why would you have to if your going to gelcoat the bottom?. I'd seal it up with a epoxy primmer, scuff the primer and it's ready for the gelcoat.

INEEDAV
03-07-2004, 07:56 AM
Where is a good source for gelcoat, I found some here in colorado springs, but you can only get it in small amounts and the price is insane. Who makes a good non-air inhibited gelcoat, or does anyone? Can one add wax to gelcoat to get it to cure without being covered?

63stevens
03-07-2004, 10:48 AM
I have been getting some of my material at this place.
www.sherfab.com
very helpful and good prices. They were running a sale on gelcoat the other day.