PDA

View Full Version : Mercury 6.2 Break-in?

Kahuna
03-06-2004, 07:34 PM
What is the beak-in procedure for a Mercury 6.2?

Kilrtoy
03-06-2004, 07:56 PM
FULL THROTTLE
if it breaks, better to break it early........:D

JetBoatRich
03-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
FULL THROTTLE
if it breaks, better to break it early........:D
I guess that would work to:rolleyes:

Kachina26
03-06-2004, 10:15 PM
As we say in the car business......RTFM and it don't mean "read the FAT manual".

Kilrtoy
03-06-2004, 10:20 PM
So what does it mean

redneckgirl
03-06-2004, 10:22 PM
We just got our 21' Shockwave Step Skier with the 6.2 MPI in January. We got a Mercruiser manual with it. It says for the first 10 hours don't go over 3/4 throttle and to vary your speed, don't idle to much. After 10 hours you can go full throttle for short lenghts of time but keep varying your speed. At 20 hours you are home free. We are at 11.5 hour, after tomorrow hope to be at 15 hours. Barry look for us soon for our 20 hour service, after that can't wait to water ski. :D :D :D
RNG

dicudmore
03-06-2004, 10:25 PM
I think the mercruiser manual will say something about avoiding full throttle for the first 15 approx hours and making sure to vary the engine rpm to help seat everything etc.
Does anybody really do that?
I'm sure they dont do it w/cars. I think all I would really try to avoid is continuous full throttle operation, but I would DEFINITELY have it pinned long enough to find out and tell the rest of us how your new boat runs :D

Kachina26
03-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
So what does it mean Substitute fat with the F word of your choice, don't use "funny" cuz I already got that one.

dicudmore
03-06-2004, 10:34 PM
I got it. Maybe you gotta be in the biz.....

Kilrtoy
03-06-2004, 11:11 PM
I read manual and he asked why I was staring at him.
Im just playing, follow what the manual says,
I did NOT,
Not a single problem 153 hours.
I followed the manual for about 2 hours.....

Scream
03-06-2004, 11:46 PM
OK, Kachina26 is a respected member of the automotive repair trade, and under the oath of the fixer upper union he must abide by the manual, BBBUUUTT the dude that checked my new toy out to me said almost the same as the manual except this.
"The manual says to break the motor in for 20 hours, then bring it in for an oil change. Some say break it in for 10 hours, then an oil change, then another 10, and then an outdrive/steering alignment and oil change...I say, Run the F____er for 20 hours WOT or what ever you want and change the oil, align the steering and have fun, if it breaks, it's under warranty".
The real question is Who Do You Believe?

K9Blitz
03-07-2004, 10:04 AM
Are you saying Merc doesn't want us to push our new motors and outdrives so that they will be less prone to breaking during the warranty period?
Interesting concept. My 496HO and BravoX drive have about 4 hours on them and it's killing me. I'm avoiding full throttle starts and WOT for at least another couple of hours. But then again, calm water and a skipped Zoloft dose could make me actually enjoy the first 20 hours of boat ownership.

bordsmnj
03-07-2004, 10:12 PM
i read an article the other day about the newer cross hatch paterns that are put into engine bores these days and if you don't apply enough presure to the rings (against the cylinder wall)by giving it some gas under load you miss a very important "window"for good seating to take place. in other words run the shit out of it and don't keep it at one rpm for very long. i took my 6.2 straight to a ***boat mag performnce test thing last year the same night i took delivery on the boat. they run the shit out of it after i short i hour early morning breakin. then i ran the shit out of it ever since. kept good oil in it give it all it's shots so to speak and a recent compresion test(170-190) shows that it's good as new after 120+ hours. nice motors. :D