PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Regs

MudPumper
03-08-2004, 09:00 PM
There was a post about water pressure regulators recently, does anybody know where it went, I can't find it. Thanks in advance.;)

Squirtcha?
03-08-2004, 09:15 PM
Is this it? (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17406&highlight=pressure+regulators)

MudPumper
03-08-2004, 09:23 PM
No that wasn't it but thanks, it's along the lines of what I want to know. I think it was in the last couple of weeks. Some people listed some part numbers and pictures of the regs they used and the plumbing. ??????

MudPumper
03-08-2004, 09:25 PM
Nevermind, I just found the nifty search function on here. Never seen that before!!:D

Squirtcha?
03-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Try using the search in the upper righthand corner. It actually works pretty well. I remember the post you're talking about.
Maybe this one?
pressure regulator (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16776&highlight=water+pressure+regulator)
http://www.impywheels.com/images/sc100valve.jpg
Hey that guy swiped my old avatar.

HBjet
03-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Here is the one I run, as well as Cyclone.
http://www.grainger.com/images/products/6LM11.JPG
Regulator (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId=1612840040&ccitem=)
You need to have an acct with Grainger to purchase one though, or atleast know someone who does.
HBjet

MudPumper
03-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Randy, just sent you a PM before I realized you posted.:D

MudPumper
03-08-2004, 11:12 PM
OK now which is better and why, the grainger reg or the rex reg??? All opinions welcomed.

HBjet
03-08-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by riodog
Randy, anyone can walk into any Grainger and buy whatever they want right across the counter.
Rio
When you have an account... but anyone with a business lic. can get one.
HBjet

HBjet
03-08-2004, 11:55 PM
I have had nothing but success with the Grainger one. You just have to check the screen every now and then for blockage. No big temp changes from running to idle. (120 running, 140 at idle) You don't need to really buy new water lines, unless the ones you already have are too small.
HBjet

Squirtcha?
03-09-2004, 06:29 AM
I like the looks of the Grainger inline design as opposed to the 90 degree Rex one. It seems like it would make for a cleaner installation.
This may have been asked on the other thread but I can't remember. I'm curious on the screen thing. What do you find in it when you clean it out, and do you suppose it's possible to run without it?
I've never found the need for a regulator, I'm just naturally inquisitive.

superdave013
03-09-2004, 07:22 AM
Randy, anyone can walk into any Grainger and buy whatever they want right across the counter.
Rio
NO way, I was there last Friday and they would not sell to me. I had to end up putting it on my work account. They did let me pay cash for the items though.

superdave013
03-09-2004, 07:53 AM
Randy, what the hell you keep posting shit for? ANYONE can walk into any Grainger or McMaster-Carr and buy anything over the counter WITHOUT an account or business license!
Rio
PS-it's not always necessary to have the last word-especially when you're wrong!
PPS- and we do realize that you're just trying to be a helpful 'little fuzzball' so thank you for your input for all of us 'less knowledgable' boaters.
H B is my hero!
I guess I'm not ANYONE as like I said, I got shut down at the Granger on Ball Road in Anaheim last friday.
And you are right about Randy being helpfull. He did come over that same friday to help plumb up a cooling system using the above pressure regulator.
SD013
ps, I didn't want you to have the last word with your WRONG info. :) Lighten up dude, it's only the internet.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
03-09-2004, 09:09 AM
I just bought a Waterloo toolbox from Grainger and didn't have to provide any kind of liscense.:)
Maybe they just don't like you superdave/HBjet. :eek: :cool:
Omega

superdave013
03-09-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
I just bought a Waterloo toolbox from Grainger and didn't have to provide any kind of liscense.:)
Omega
Well I was by myself but you could be right. He might have known that I'm friends with Randy and that facked things all up. lol
Waterloo eh? I scored the top half of one of those s.s. boxes they sell as costco. The guy that bought it didn't want the top half so I got it cheep.

Cs19
03-09-2004, 09:39 AM
Grainger would not sell to me either. I had to bullshit them a little, I actually got my reg. at ace hardware.
Why is Rio always so bent about nothing?

MarKist
03-09-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by cs19
Grainger would not sell to me either. I had to bullshit them a little, I actually got my reg. at ace hardware.
Why is Rio always so bent about nothing?
yeah I went in grainger and they wouldn't sell to me ??I needed it then so I went a head and opened a account got the part and paid cash for it and told them I would never buy from there again and so far I haven't!!I'm gettin the POPCORN !! :D :D :D
Mark

HBjet
03-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Randy, what the hell you keep posting shit for? ANYONE can walk into any Grainger or McMaster-Carr and buy anything over the counter WITHOUT an account or business license!
Squirtcha, the one pictured (by you) is the item that used to be sold by PFM with their intercooler. It's easily adjustable BUT it also uses a type of 'felt' for a seat and it not only WILL wear out after so many opening and closings but can also come lose and lodge in the dump line creating an 'over pressure' problem.
HB, while we all realize that you're the resident expert on all things 'jetboat', kindly try to keep your information 'factually correct' so people don't waste their time following up on 'bum' information.
Rio
PS-it's not always necessary to have the last word-especially when you're wrong!
PPS- and we do realize that you're just trying to be a helpful 'little fuzzball' so thank you for your input for all of us 'less knowledgable' boaters.
H B is my hero!
What's your problem?

HBjet
03-09-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
Omega
That's great. The two different Graingers I have been to required an account. It was never a problem because the company I work for had one set up already.
HBjet

flat broke
03-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Here's what I posted on the Riverratlife board on this topic...
Hacker uses a similar product from McMaster Carr. He's run it for two seasons, and I'll be adding one this year.
www.mcmastercar.com. (http://www.mcmastercar.com.)
The part number is 45805K46 and here are the specs.
• Maximum Inlet Pressure: 400 psi
• Outlet Pressure Range: See table
• Maximum Temperature: Air: 158° F;
Water: 180° F
A dial-set regulator allows you to adjust outlet pressure in 10 psi increments. For air and water service, valves are CSA certified, meet American Society of Sanitation Engineers (ASSE) Standard 1003, and areapproved by International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO) and City of Los Angeles Plumbing Standard. Each has a 1/4" NPT female tap for optional gauge connection. Body is bronze, spring cover is thermoplastic, diaphragm is Buna-N, and internal parts are stainless steel and thermoplastic. Connections: NPT female double union.
http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/110/gfx/large/45805kp1l.gif
No issues thus far. Since I'll be installing a dash mount water pressure gauge this year, I could tap the line before the reg, and compare readings up and downstream of the regulator for a sanity check. In regard to addressing the failure possibility of the reg, 1 more good reason to have a PSI gauge on the dash. Everyone always get's down on LV for so much instrumentation, but I'd rather pony up for the gauge than repair the damage that bilssfull ignorance from not having access to available engine data can cause.
And as old squirt suggested, run a ball or gate valve in front of the reg (just in case).
I've ordered plenty of stuff from McMaster Carr online and have never had a problem. Plus they use a courier service for deliveries which usually gets to you next day.
Chris

hack job
03-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by flat broke
Here's what I posted on the Riverratlife board on this topic...
Hacker uses a similar product from McMaster Carr. He's run it for two seasons, and I'll be adding one this year.
www.mcmastercar.com. (http://www.mcmastercar.com.)
The part number is 45805K46 and here are the specs.
• Maximum Inlet Pressure: 400 psi
• Outlet Pressure Range: See table
• Maximum Temperature: Air: 158° F;
Water: 180° F
A dial-set regulator allows you to adjust outlet pressure in 10 psi increments. For air and water service, valves are CSA certified, meet American Society of Sanitation Engineers (ASSE) Standard 1003, and areapproved by International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO) and City of Los Angeles Plumbing Standard. Each has a 1/4" NPT female tap for optional gauge connection. Body is bronze, spring cover is thermoplastic, diaphragm is Buna-N, and internal parts are stainless steel and thermoplastic. Connections: NPT female double union.
http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/110/gfx/large/45805kp1l.gif
No issues thus far. Since I'll be installing a dash mount water pressure gauge this year, I could tap the line before the reg, and compare readings up and downstream of the regulator for a sanity check. In regard to addressing the failure possibility of the reg, 1 more good reason to have a PSI gauge on the dash. Everyone always get's down on LV for so much instrumentation, but I'd rather pony up for the gauge than repair the damage that bilssfull ignorance from not having access to available engine data can cause.
And as old squirt suggested, run a ball or gate valve in front of the reg (just in case).
I've ordered plenty of stuff from McMaster Carr online and have never had a problem. Plus they use a courier service for deliveries which usually gets to you next day.
Chris
what he said!;)

mickeyfinn
03-09-2004, 12:49 PM
Grainger and McMaster Carr both cater to industrial/commercial markets. We deal with grainger on an almost daily basis and with McMaster whenever we have too. They just tend to be more expensive. They don't have a "company policy" that requires an account. If you go in and are paying cash they will usually charge it to a cash account, however in some areas a lot of the local service companies that do a LOT of business with them have been complaining about them selling parts (mainly HVAC type stuff) to individuals and cutting into their business. So in some areas at least they have started requiring an account of some type. This allows them to tell those who are bitching that they only sell to account holders. Whoever said they would not shop there again should reconsider this. By allowing individuals to set up an account they are at least acknowledging that the walk in business is of some importance and they are willing to find a way to continue selling to us.

cyclone
03-09-2004, 04:24 PM
I bought my regulator from the Grainger outlet store in Brea. Its off of Imperial Hwy/viking st.
I had to show a business resale license and open an account with them and the guy behind the counter flat out told me that they didn't sell to the general public, only businesses. Not trying to pee in anyones wheaties, that was just my experience a week ago.

Bryan Rose
03-09-2004, 07:31 PM
Who Cares who they sell to or not to..... they are a company trying to make money, they will sell to anyone.....
Bryan:pig_flyi: :pig_flyi: