PDA

View Full Version : What were they thinking?

Jet Hydro
03-08-2004, 09:48 PM
I`m having a hard time trying to figure out what Hondo was thinking when they made these Hydros. There`s over 3/4 of an inch angle difference between the front of the intake than the back.("up" in the front) I can now see why I run out of water in the first 1/8 of the 1/4, way to much angle on the intake. As the sponsons lift, the intake sucks air.....
This could be fun to fix.
Kinda makes for a hole new ball game from what we first thought was wrong.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020035.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020033-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020038-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020043-med.JPG

HBjet
03-08-2004, 10:02 PM
That is strange. When was that hull built? I wonder if someone designed a jet hydro today, how would they do the bottom in relation to the intake. If I were you, I'd give Jeff Bennet a call to pick his brain about your hull, and see what ideas he might have. NASA did when they wanted to know what happened to the space shuttle when it blew up last Feb. They hired him, as well as other aerodynamic experts to figure out what happened. So, if NASA wants his knowledge, I think it would be wise to just see what he says. Just an idea
Thanks for the photos. keep us posted
HBjet

Jet Hydro
03-08-2004, 10:16 PM
I had a few ideas that I was going to do but after we turned it over tonight they all went out the window.
I`m willing to talk to just about anyone at this point. I cant believe I had it running in the 11`s like it is.
Time to rethink and start from a different angle.

HBjet
03-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Jet Hydro
start from a different angle.
Isn't that the truth...

UBFJ #454
03-09-2004, 03:39 AM
What intake did you take out?

Unchained
03-09-2004, 04:09 AM
I don't know what to think about a hull design like that but the angle certainly lessens the curve that the water has to make going into the pump.
What if you left the intake mounted at that angle but built a large keel bubble in front of it?
What was your intake pressure showing at top speed?

UBFJ #454
03-09-2004, 07:25 AM
Unchained, I don't think I don't think he needs to put a very large keel bump in though he might have to increase what is already there somewhat.
A hydro jet is designed to ride on the front sponson plates and the keel & ride plate (a device that was developed after that hull was made) ... essentially a three point ride. In order to set a hydro jet up properly a good bottm man would need to know what intake is going to be used (need to know what depth down into the water it will be) and what Hp the motor going into the boat will be (this will determine the general size of the keel bump that will be needed). The trick in getting a hydro jet set up to run stablely is to match the front sponson plates depths to the keel and ride plate ... This I might add, is one of the most tricky types of hull types for a bottom man to get set up right ... Not impossible, but, requires paying close attention to details ... down to the thousandths.
Some pictures, including closeups, of the actual intake (and its straits) to be used (just set in place, not glassed in) would be quite helpful.

OkieDave
03-09-2004, 08:34 AM
I thought hydros were designed to run props and carry the tail out of the water on the prop. Thats why they wont go very good with a jet, you can't unglue the tail. Put your blown motor in a tunnell hull and see how much better you can go. 11's should be considered slow with a blower motor.

UBFJ #454
03-09-2004, 08:40 AM
There are Hydros (For V-Drives) and some Hydro Jets ... The Hydro Jets are a tricky breed to set up and take patience ... That may be why there aren't too awfully many.

Jet Hydro
03-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by BEAR_454PE
What intake did you take out?
The pump was a Dominator when I bought the boat so I would guess that the intake was the same??? We are going to install a new Aggressor Low Profile intake as soon as we can figure out what to do to the pod. I`m going to make a few calls to the pro`s and see what they think.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020044-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020045-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020046-med.JPG

Jet Hydro
03-09-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by okiedave
I thought hydros were designed to run props and carry the tail out of the water on the prop. Thats why they wont go very good with a jet, you can't unglue the tail. Put your blown motor in a tunnell hull and see how much better you can go. 11's should be considered slow with a blower motor.
The blower motor has seen high 9`s in a tunnel.
I could just put it in a V-Drive Hydro and run even faster than that but that's not what I want to do.
For me "It`s all about having fun and doing what hasn't been done." So far it`s been just that! :D
It`s been a lot of work and money but it sure is fun to put those V-Drives on the trailer. :cool:
Let`s Please not turn this topic in to a "why don't you just get a V-Drive or a Tunnel Jet"
It`s "not" going to happen until I`m done with this boat!
I`v always been one of those "Dare To Be Different" guy`s
To hell with "KISS" :D:cool:

OkieDave
03-09-2004, 12:24 PM
I agree with you about how fun it is to spank the v-drivers. You can spank a bunch of them with a ten second jet boat. :D

Jet Hydro
03-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by HBjet
If I were you, I'd give Jeff Bennet a call to pick his brain about your hull, and see what ideas he might have.
HBjet
Do you have a phone number?

UBFJ #454
03-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Jeff prefers e-mail to telephone as he has alot of different things going on most of the time.

superdave013
03-09-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by okiedave
I agree with you about how fun it is to spank the v-drivers. You can spank a bunch of them with a ten second jet boat. :D
Really :confused: :confused:
Jey Hydro, all I gotta say is mad "props" to you for doing something different and sticking with it when the going gets tough.

HBjet
03-09-2004, 03:34 PM
Do you have a phone number?
I was looking for it... can't find it though.
Maybe someone else can post it up.
Sorry
HBjet

UBFJ #454
03-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Jet Hydro ...
1) Check your PM's.
2) You might also want to talk to Duane Oblander @ Hi-TECH as he has been in the business a long time and has worked with quite a variety of different hull types over the years ... He's also there in Kansas.
3) Why the Aggressor Low Profile Intake rather than stay with the Dominator? Just Curiuos.

Jet Hydro
03-09-2004, 05:32 PM
BEAR_454PE Thanks for the PM...
Duane @ HI-Tech Performance is one of my sponsors, He knows this boat better than I do. He knows a good bottom when he see`s one but he doesn't do bottom work at the shop. Way to much going on over there to do the bottoms along with everything else he does. Not saying you couldn't get a bottom done there, but time is everything right now.
I would send it off to someone else to do the work but being how I`m in the body work field it just doesn't seem to be the thing to do.
Why the Aggressor you ask.
#1 Well there too they are one of our sponsors and it just doesn't seem right to install their pump on someone else's intake.
#2 Duane said we need the Low Profile intake
#3 Someone cut the bubble off the front of the old intake before I bought the boat so it has to be changed out anyway.
We have tried to reason with everything that had been done to the bottom before I bought it but just cant figure out what they were thinking.

UBFJ #454
03-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Glad to Help ... Will talk with Duane in the next few days to see if he thinks we might be able to offer any suggestions.
Jak

Duane HTP
03-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the recommendation Bear, but this is one boat that I DON"T have 30 years of experience with. I've looked at it many times and seems like every time I look at it, I come up with a different idea. I told Steve he should consult Jeff, Jack, and Ervin Capps. See if any of their ideas are the same as mine. On this boat bottom, I have some ideas, but really don't know for sure what to do. I won't lead somebody down a path that I don't know what's at the end. This may be a good lesson for all of us by the time it's all done.

UBFJ #454
03-09-2004, 07:48 PM
Understood ...

American Turbine Man
03-09-2004, 07:50 PM
I wouldn’t use a low profile intake, don’t they have an increased angle? I would set the Dominator intake in as close to zero degrees as possible. The reason: the hydro hull has the natural tendencies to lift the tail: the low profile intake will try to push the tail up and the stern down: also I think the increased angle might drag the steering. To hold the stern I would run a deep shoe. Since it is a hydro I don’t think shut-down would as big a problem as with a v-hull.
ATM

Jet Hydro
03-09-2004, 08:31 PM
American Turbine Man Thanks for the info. You are close to what I was thinking. I was thinking of setting it at or around 2 degrees? When I tried to use a straight cut shoe to load the pump it would stand the boat on the nose on shut down. I can now see why with the angle they had the intake set at. It looks like they were trying to force the water in the intake with out using a shoe. This boat never had a shoe until we installed one. Did they have shoes back in the late 70`s?
The steering is on the top so that not a problem. I plan to take the droop snoot off and go back to the straight snoot so I don't know if the old intake would work as good as the low profile?
These are all things that I plan to run be Jeff and Ervin.
Keep the Ideas coming, I need all I can get.

American Turbine Man
03-09-2004, 09:10 PM
We were doing shoe'd intakes in 1978, I can't remember who was the first one to install one.
ATM

HBjet
03-10-2004, 12:59 AM
Steve, I found Jeff's number...
(714) 934-1756 (days)
HBjet

Duane HTP
03-10-2004, 05:26 AM
ATJ's idea makes good sense. Hey Jet hydro, how about I drive up there for dinner, (lunch for anyone who's not from Kansas), today and take a look at it with you , since you have it upside down? Man, I love that Mexican Smorgass Board you guys have up there. Let me know if that's Okay by 10:am if you can.

Jet Hydro
03-10-2004, 06:45 AM
Works for me Duane.

Jet Hydro
03-10-2004, 06:54 AM
ATM, this boat is a 78 so maybe that`s the thinking Hondo used on the intake angle?
HBjet, Thanks for the number.

Jet Hydro
03-10-2004, 04:59 PM
Thanks to Duane and a few others I have now made up my mind on what needs to be done and How I`m going to do it.
Duane, I`m going to put the back of the intake opening right at the transit. Going to cut the transit and pull the intake out so the last 2 holes are sticking out on the intake where it mounts to the bottom. So in other words the last 2 holes wont be used to hold it to the bottom. It`s a long way`s out but I want the back lip of the intake at the transit.
I`m going to build a hole new pod with the idea`s I have collected today. :)
The saw`s will start tonight :D

bp
03-10-2004, 05:41 PM
steve, do you have data collection on that boat? just wondering..

Jet Hydro
03-10-2004, 06:37 PM
No, but I have ran a few gages and collected data from our old set up.

Duane HTP
03-10-2004, 07:33 PM
Your diagram looks pretty good.
Thanks for dinner today. I love that place.

Cs19
03-10-2004, 07:48 PM
Hydro or Duane, do you have any pics/ of this aggressor low profile intake? I did not know they made one.

ChetCapoli
03-10-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by cs19
I did not know they made one.
:rolleyes:

Jet Hydro
03-10-2004, 08:51 PM
I forgot to say that after all the people I talked to today, we still plan to run the Low Profile intake along with the Straight Snoot. :D
Just gota love the R&D of this project :D
Duane your most welcome as always ;) and Thank You! for a few Ideas. I know it`s going to work!
CS19 I`ll post one when it get`s here.

Cs19
03-10-2004, 10:18 PM
Chet, Im not up to date on the aggressor line. I dont run there parts and I usually dont read the aggressor hype around here either.
Shouldnt you be clipping coupons ?

Jet Hydro
03-10-2004, 11:15 PM
Chet please don't! ok? I did say please!... I have some bottom builders looking at this topic and don't want the normal going on in my topic. I`m trying to learn something here.
Here`s a picture after the saw got loose :D
Long ways to go but I had to make the first cut. There's no backing out now!:eek: :D :cool:
BEFORE
AFTER
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020056-med.JPG

UBFJ #454
03-11-2004, 03:32 AM
Steve - Are you going to install a PopOff?

Duane HTP
03-11-2004, 05:32 AM
Yes, Aggressor makes a low profile 5 degree racing intake. I just sent the one I had in stock to Ervin Capps to be put in a new Cheyenne. I have another ordered and will post a picture when I get it in.

UBFJ #454
03-12-2004, 03:41 AM
Just keeping the thread going.

Jet Hydro
03-12-2004, 06:48 AM
BEAR_454PE I don't have one yet but I`m sure I`ll be installing one before to long. Just have to see how much faster it runs with the new bottom.
I`m having a hard time with the new design because they had a very warped mold when they built this bottom. :mad:
I`v had to rethink the front of the new design to correct the warped bottom. I hope to be glassing by this weekend?
I had another bottom builder/racer look at it last night and he seems to think I`m on the right track. Kinda makes me feel better about cutting up a perfectly good boat...lol..

UBFJ #454
03-12-2004, 07:45 AM
Is the right front sponson a bit deeper than the left ... like a Kurtis 502?

Jet Hydro
03-12-2004, 08:16 AM
No, it`s all in the pump pod. The left side (front) of the pod is 1/2 deeper than the right side. I wanted to make 2 foot of flat in front of the intake so I cut up to my 2 foot mark but the pod has 1/2" difference right there. errr
Makes it kinda hard to build my starting edge of the flat.

Jet Hydro
03-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Fixed it...lol.. I just cut the whole thing OFF :Dhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020062-med.JPG

HotRod Sprint
03-13-2004, 07:02 PM
Fixed it...lol.. I just cut the whole thing OFF :Dhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020062-med.JPG
Looks like a couple too many of those little silver cans in the lower right corner to me :D
Rod

Cs19
03-13-2004, 07:09 PM
Jet Hydro, You aren't fu*#ing around man. Thats a pretty serious chunk you cut out there.Hope it all works out for you.

Jet Hydro
03-13-2004, 08:57 PM
It`s not all that big . It`s only 3 foot long X 2 foot wide :eek:

77charger
03-13-2004, 09:14 PM
Damn slowy what are you doing that requires that much cutting(i havent read the previous post)

UBFJ #454
03-13-2004, 09:31 PM
How are you going to add the structural strength to hold the intake in place? ... Is the oil pan going to fit into the keel well? ... How are you going to mount the engine? I'm sure you've got it All figured out, But, Darn, That Is One Big HOLE! Just Curious.

ChetCapoli
03-13-2004, 10:08 PM
geez slowy! I think you made a mistake with that much cut. I would have at least left an inch of bottom on each side(like an L) to keep some factory integrety in that area and make your life a little easier when putting the part you took out back in. Good luck to you my friend.
chet

Unchained
03-14-2004, 06:00 AM
That reminds me of when I converted my Sleekcraft from an insert pump to a Dominator pump x 3.
You might think about making a sheet metal or wood mold that will saddle over whats left of your center pod and will be the pattern that you lay up the bottom to.
What about making a mold over someone elses center pod that's already a proven design?
If you wanted to travel up to Mi. we could splash the center pod of the Stealth. The hulls bare now but the intakes in it.
Or what about making a center pod out of aluminum and mechanically fastening it in?
I have to give you some big credit for going for it with a large project like that.
Most guys would have shyed away from it.

Jet Hydro
03-14-2004, 07:30 AM
I will try to cover all that has been asked.
How are you going to add the structural strength to hold the intake in place?
1/2"of glass.
How are you going to mount the engine?
I plan to mount it in the same spot it was before the bottom change. Make a few run`s and go from there.
I would have at least left an inch of bottom on each side(like an L) to keep some factory integrity in that area
Chet there is about 4" of the drop left. I will build from that point. It should be as strong if not stronger than before. When I`m done the glass will be 1/2" thick.
You might think about making a sheet metal or wood mold that will saddle over whats left of your center pod and will be the pattern that you lay up the bottom to.
I already have a 1/16" wood mold built. Started glassing it in last night. I didn't want to splash it off another bottom because I wanted to say that it was my design and not someone else's. If it works I`ll get all the credit, if not, well we know that one...lol...
I had an Earl Smith Texas tunnel that I was going to cut the pod off of but I wanted to do my own thing.
This is a fun project, I do have to admit that it has and is trying my skills as a BodyMan / Fabricator but never the less, it`s been fun. I`ll try to post a few more pic`s as I go.

UBFJ #454
03-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Keep us posted ... I doubt your new hull will weigh over 615 lbs..

1tricky1
03-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Unchained
That reminds me of when I converted my Sleekcraft from an insert pump to a Dominator pump x 3.
Out of curiosity, was that the only change you made at the time, and was it that much beneficial?

Jet Hydro
03-15-2004, 10:17 AM
Ok, here`s what I`v done over the weekend
Remember this one :Dhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020062-med.JPG
Next
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020064-med.JPG
Next
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020067-med.JPG
Here`s where I`m at as of right now. Long way to go but it`s taken shape real quick! :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020071-med.JPG

cyclone
03-15-2004, 03:26 PM
lookin' good. that sure is a ton of work.

pgf127rt
03-15-2004, 05:41 PM
Steve, I noticed that you had better order another 6 of silvers, that one is about gone.
Project is looking good, lotta work there my friend, good luck.

Duane HTP
03-15-2004, 05:46 PM
Steve, ATTA Boy! Looks good so far. You've been burning the midnite oil, haven't you? Brian and I will try to come over again sometime this week.

Ken F
03-15-2004, 07:03 PM
Steve,
Looks like your on the right track!
Got any pics of the front of the pod?
Ken F

honkey1
03-15-2004, 07:55 PM
Dang brother that is alot of glass work...
Keep us posted
<---has the fiberglass itchies just lookin at that.

Jet Hydro
03-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Ken, this is the best I can do for now. I was going to do some more glassing tonight but I went motocrossing on Sunday and I`m hurting pretty good right about now...lol... I`m getting to old for that stuff...lol..
I`v got to get some more Dura-glass to fill the low spots in before I glass anymore.
I`ll try to post a pic of the front of the pod tomorrow.
This job gives me the itches to go jump in a shower ;)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020076-med.JPG

Jet Hydro
03-15-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Duane HTP
Steve, ATTA Boy! Looks good so far. You've been burning the midnite oil, haven't you? Brian and I will try to come over again sometime this week.
Ok Duane,
just let me know when and I`ll make sure I`m at the shop.

UBFJ #454
03-17-2004, 06:02 AM
Looks like we lost a few posts when Hot Boats Site had to be restored ... I know one of mine was deleted.

Jet Hydro
03-17-2004, 10:36 AM
Yep, it look`s like some of them went to the waste land.
Back to glassing I go :yuk:

Kim Hanson
03-17-2004, 11:05 AM
Very interesting slowy, you guys don't think I read this stuff.....( . )( . ).........:cool: :D

bp
03-17-2004, 06:20 PM
great effort there steve. will you be taking it to phoenix?

Jet Hydro
03-17-2004, 08:19 PM
bp, I hope too!
I`v got to see how it work`s out first.
Hey Kim, are you lost...lol... ;) :D You better get back the BR Forum before your spotted in here!

Jet Hydro
03-21-2004, 10:34 AM
Just a little more shaping and 1/4" more glass and I`ll be ready to turn the boat back over and glass the inside, then install the intake.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020090-med.JPG

Ken F
03-21-2004, 12:35 PM
Steve,
Can't really tell from the pics, did you shape the front like a v-bottom?
Ken F

Jet Hydro
03-21-2004, 01:26 PM
Yea kinda Ken. I`ll shoot a picture tonight before I go home so you can see what the front look`s like. I hope to be done shaping it today and put the last 2 layers of glass on so I can turn it over tomorrow.

Ken F
03-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Good Steve, I'll look forward to the pic!
Ervin and I were talking about it and looking at your pics last Monday evening when I was down there. You know, it's hard to get him to pay attention in "computer 101" when there's a boat on the screen! lol
Ken

Jet Hydro
03-21-2004, 07:13 PM
Ok Ken here ya go :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020096-med.JPG

blown428fe
03-21-2004, 07:45 PM
That last pic looks like a L-88 hoodscoop, just kidding. Very impressed by the amount of work your doing. Looks mint.

Ken F
03-21-2004, 07:49 PM
Okay, after looking at the cut-out again, I see now what you are thinking!~
Looks like it ought to work. Are you planning on a bubble also....or testing first?
Nice work Steve! If you get much better at this, maybe you ought to think about trying to earn a living at it?
Ken

Jet Hydro
03-21-2004, 08:11 PM
blown428fe, I was thinking the same thing....ROTFLMAO
Ken, I plan to make a bubble but I have to wait for the intake to get here so I can make them fit together.
As far as "ought to think about trying to earn a living at it" I think I`m going to slap you the next time I see you :D
I have a TX19 that I working on right now for a guy and a BIG ass Glastron out side because it wont fit in my shop (to BIG) and trying to get the Jet Hydro back in the water in 2 weeks for testing so I can make Waco TX...I`m sick of boat`s...errrrrr

Jet Hydro
03-21-2004, 09:08 PM
I just had to bring up what it looked like before I went nutzzzzzz and cut that big hole in my boat...lol
all`s I can say is "WOW" Sure did change didn't it :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020096-med.JPG

UBFJ #454
03-24-2004, 12:37 PM
Bump Bk To P. 1

Jet Hydro
03-24-2004, 04:18 PM
Nothing new to really show ya right now. I`m waiting on the intake to get here. Kinda taking a brake for a day or two to work on some other stuff around the shop.

Ken F
03-24-2004, 07:30 PM
Steve, that's looking reallly good!
What a difference eh? I'm almost as excited as you are to see what results will come of it. Got a first test date set yet?
Ken F

UBFJ #454
03-25-2004, 05:00 AM
Steve - I'm curious to see the shape of the Intake Bump your going to put in.

Jet Hydro
03-25-2004, 06:08 PM
it will be rounded. should be about 2 foot long going in to the pointed line in middle of the bottom that you see in the pictures. what do you think?

Jet Hydro
03-25-2004, 06:15 PM
Ken, time`s ticking real fast... I don't have a date but I can say ASAP!!!!!!! Waco is in just a few week`s and I don't want to show up with an untested boat again this year.(Want to keep it on the water this time :D ) I have to have a lest one week to do set-up`s and test runs before we hit the road to Texas. I think I can do it but I`m cutting it close now.

UBFJ #454
03-25-2004, 06:50 PM
Steve -
Don't see any pointing line, but, understand what your thinking. Given it's not my boat I don't think I should offer any suggestions ... Think your doing a great job in working toward getting that hydro-jet to maybe HookUp and Run, Safely.
Please keep us posted on your progress.
Jak

Ken F
03-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Steve,
Was down at Ervins today,and during out weekly "computer 101" class, I was showing him your pics of what you had done. His main concern was that the plane of the bottom of the "third leg" (for ignorance of the correct term :)) was the same as to the bottom of your front sponsons. In other words if you took a string-line and went from the bottom of one of your front sponsons, across the bottom of your new work, your string would be flat all the way across your new intake pod. Just passing that along.....
Good luck, and let me know how she does!
Ken F

Jet Hydro
03-25-2004, 08:45 PM
Yes Ken, the bottom of the pod is the same depth as the sponsons. I used a straight edge and a laser to make sure we keep it all in sink. Our plan is to use hardware to load the pump, not the pod. At first we were going to make the pod about 1/2 deeper than the sponsons but after some thinking I changed my mind. It`s much easer to use hardware because you can remove it or change it much easier than sanding the pod back down.
BEAR_454PE your more than welcome to off any suggestions. That`s how we learn, it gives us more options to think about.
They wont be taken wrong, so don't worry about hurting anyone`s feelings.

Duane HTP
03-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Steve, Your intake will be coming to your place tomorrow by overnight Saturday Fedex Delivery, so stick around the shop until it shows up. Okay?

Jet Hydro
03-27-2004, 12:09 PM
FedEx is trying to find the truck driver...lol... Seem`s he couldn't read the hours for Deliveries on the door he stuck his note on...lol... I think I`ll offer him some new glasses :D

Jet Hydro
03-27-2004, 03:46 PM
Here ya go guy`s.... This boy is BAD :D
The new AGGRESSORIntake came in today.
Boy oh Boy, I cant wait to try this bad boy out :D
Thanks Dave (Aggressor) and Duane (Hi-Tech Performance) I`m looking forward to another great year of racing :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020114-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020113-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020112-med.JPG

Jake W
03-27-2004, 04:06 PM
Looks nice Steve ,can you post a pic of the Berk intake and the Aggressor lowpro togeather.Also how much wider is the opening?
Jake:D

Ken F
03-27-2004, 05:42 PM
Man Steve, that looks great! Just having the word "Agressor" on there makes it about 4 mph faster. (ducking now)
Ken F

ChetCapoli
03-27-2004, 07:53 PM
Boy that is real nice HBJethydro!!(lmao!!) Why anyone would want a berkeley after seeing that is beyond me. Hey jake how much bigger is that opening. I also heard they were bigger too.
CHET

Ken F
03-27-2004, 09:16 PM
Here's my new low profile Agressor intake that is going in the Cheyenne. Maybe you can tell how much bigger chet.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5520Intake1sm-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5520Intake2sm-med.jpg
Ken F

Jet Hydro
03-27-2004, 10:00 PM
Here ya go ....side by side
Can you say big hole????
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020116-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020117-med.JPG

UBFJ #454
03-27-2004, 10:48 PM
That Aggressor Low Profile Intake looks very similar in dimensions to the Old Berkeley R (Race) Low Profile Intake that we are running. The thing that I like about the low profiles is that you can vary the size of the opening by varying the length of the shoe and "tune" the intake to various setups ... quite useful.
The one thing that we have found with our experimentation is that with low profiles the intake loading keel bump is more critical than with a standard intake ... shape and height are much more critical to obtaining a good and constant water load. The shape and height of the bump appear to be very boat specific (not necessarily hull specific) and depend heavily on the longitudinal CG of the boat. Given that Steve, I really can't give you any good advice in your intake setup as I don't "Know" your boat ... You'll just have to decide on what you think is best and tune/modifiy from there ... To give you an idea of what you might have to do, we are now laying up the 5th revision of our keel off-load setup.
Again, keep us posted and Good Luck ... One suggestion though, Don't Get In A Hurry to Go "Balls To The Wall" too soon ... Ease into it Slowly, Methodically Piece Wise Continuous.

Unchained
03-28-2004, 06:09 AM
I looked at the Aggressor intake in my boat and it looks to be about 1/2" taller than your low pro unit.
My boat has the same intake that I saw in R & D Express.
Ken, I can never open the pictures that you link to ***boatpics because it requires a password.

Jake W
03-28-2004, 06:20 AM
Unchained are you sure I think the R and D Express has a Dominator intake and suction that has been modified for the popoff.I could be wrong though.Now Flashback had an all Aggressor pump.
Does any have a Berkely R lowpro intake an a Aggressor lowpro intake to take any measurements and pics(It never hurts to ask).
Thanks for posting the pics Jethydro

Duane HTP
03-28-2004, 08:00 AM
R & D has an Aggressor intake in it with a Berlekey suction housing Jake. The pump is the one out of the Cheyenne that crashed. When we rigged the R & D Express in four days to be able to make the Phoenix race, we did not have time to change over to an Aggressor suction with the Pop Off and all.

Duane HTP
03-28-2004, 08:15 AM
Boy that is real nice HBJethydro!!(
Finally a nice comment from Chet. I'm going to frame this and put it up in my office. Thanks Chet!

Jet Hydro
03-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Finally a nice comment from Chet. I'm going to frame this and put it up in my office. Thanks Chet!
:D I really like the "HBJetHydro" part

Ken F
03-28-2004, 09:21 AM
[i]Originally posted by Unchained
Ken, I can never open the pictures that you link to ***boatpics because it requires a password. [/B]
Mark,
Duane told me the same thing last night.
I'll try calling Mrs. P today and see if she can give me some guidance as to how to get them to show up in the post. I'm not smart enough to figure it out!
Ken F

Jake W
03-28-2004, 10:18 AM
I see Duane when Roger and I were talking about it he had said he was not sure what the suction pice was(mabey Berk or Dominator but knew it had ben altered to accept the popoff.I stand corected.Are you guys going to change it over for this year?
And do you have a pic of the intake in the white TX 19 that thing was pretty neat looking.

Duane HTP
03-28-2004, 12:23 PM
No, I should have taken one before it was put in. That is one I made myself out of an American Turbine racing intake. They work well in a TX-19.

HotRod Sprint
03-28-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Ken F
Mark,
Duane told me the same thing last night.
I'll try calling Mrs. P today and see if she can give me some guidance as to how to get them to show up in the post. I'm not smart enough to figure it out!
Ken F
Ken, I'll send a PM with my email. Just email the pics to me, and I'll post them in the thread for you.
Rod

Ken F
03-28-2004, 09:04 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jet Hydro
[B]Here ya go ....side by side
Can you say big hole????
.....NO response from the peanut gallery?

Ken F
03-28-2004, 09:08 PM
Okay, thanks to HotRodSprint, and his notes from Sidewound, I finally got the picture deal handled! I edited my post right above Jet-Hydro's pic of his new blue intake on page four, and my new polished intake shows up now!
Thanks again HRS
Ken F

Jet Hydro
03-29-2004, 09:00 PM
Nothing like 9" of set back :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020121-med.JPG

Duane HTP
03-30-2004, 08:16 PM
Steve, Looking good. Your Poxy puddy is on the way. Brian shipped the last I had with a low profile Aggr. intake to a guy in LA. yesterday.

Jet Hydro
03-30-2004, 09:24 PM
Ok Duane that will work...
Just turned it over to work on the inside tonight so I hope to set the intake this weekend and build the bubble on the bottom.
The guy with the Baja came by to night, dropped of another $500 for the down on parts. "It`s on fo sure" :D
He wanted to know if we might have the rail kit by this weekend?
Still looking for a used foot feed and a set of SB Chevy T/T Headers???? Anyone??????????

Jet Hydro
03-30-2004, 09:28 PM
I forgot ...Don't for get that we are still going to need some kind of drive line after doing the set back along with the low profile intake in the Jet Hydro ;)

UBFJ #454
03-31-2004, 04:59 AM
Steve - Our intake is set within a mm or 2 of where you set yours. We use a LENCO driveline, but, the boat isn't used as a Lake or River boat. Jak

Duane HTP
03-31-2004, 06:07 AM
Steve, When you get it all set in and we get a measurement, Power Drive will make you one for a very reasonable price. Mounts are on the way. Man, what a season! I've sold out of just about everything. Putting in more invertory as we speak. I haven't been able to keep up with the Snoot sales, but I just got 22 of them done yesterday. Damn material costs too much to do more than that at a time.

ChetCapoli
03-31-2004, 09:27 AM
Man, what a season! I haven't been able to keep up with the Snoot sales, but I just got 22 of them done yesterday. Damn material costs too much to do more than that at a time.
WOW i cant wait to hear the results of all these boats with this snoot...man i must be missing the boat on this one! He's only got 22 left and there going fast! I gotta get one TODAY!! Where do i go?? I need one NOW!! :rolleyes:
CHET

Blown 472
03-31-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by ChetCapoli
WOW i cant wait to hear the results of all these boats with this snoot...man i must be missing the boat on this one! He's only got 22 left and there going fast! I gotta get one TODAY!! Where do i go?? I need one NOW!! :rolleyes:
CHET
Chet, you been a dick your whole life or did you just grow into it?

Duane HTP
03-31-2004, 08:13 PM
No, Chjet I said I just got 22 of them in. I have plenty. Don't be trying to change what I said.
You probably won't be able to hear about any of them, because you mouth is always open in front of your ears.

Jet Hydro
03-31-2004, 10:24 PM
Chet, I think I did ask you to "PLEASE" not start your crap in this topic, didn't I? WTF can you not stay out of just one topic in this forum?
Please STOP :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

TRG
03-31-2004, 10:36 PM
chet's still thawing out up there, thats all they do,...bitch about everything!:rolleyes:

Jet Hydro
03-31-2004, 10:53 PM
Duane do you want to look the pump over before I reinstall it?
Are you wanting to make another
Hi-Tech Performance transom plate like the old one you made before? That thing sure was a work of art ;)
I just put the 2nd gallon of glass/reason on the inside so it should be ready to set the intake by Friday if the poxy putty comes in.
This sure is more work than I ever thought it would have been.
Jet boat`s...ya just gota love`em :)

ChetCapoli
04-01-2004, 06:48 AM
Chet, I think I did ask you to "PLEASE" not start your crap in this topic, didn't I
Funny slowy now the shoes on the other foot your being the old HBjet now arent ya? This support group is college educated boy..you even have the proffessor with his pompom's on. At least Hbjets shop has a little more class not to come here with the spamorama...amazing. You want me to stop?? Give it a rest will ya? Your boats done as far as information you need so just post up your results when you get them with all those "must have parts" parts from HTMHP. There selling fast you know! He just might not have any left for you either! :D
CHET

Jet Hydro
04-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Chet, you really need to get yourself some help.
If you don't want to read about what I`m doing to my boat "Don't click on the topic" OK...
There are a few that want to know what we are doing thus being the reason for this topic. sorry it upends ya so much to have a boat that strikes so much interest.
Save your money, you too could buy one as there is a guy wanting to make a mold out of my boat if it works like we want it too.
Don't you have some vending machine to go fix?
funny thing is while I was driving to the shop today I saw a Coke Machine, had to stop and kick it a few time`s then I turned it over, painted a big finger on the side with the words "Fix that Chet" :D
Felt so good I think I`m going "vending machine hunting" all day :D

TRG
04-01-2004, 06:11 PM
:D
Too "F"ing funny!

ChetCapoli
04-02-2004, 06:43 AM
Felt so good I think I`m going "vending machine hunting" all day :D
ROFLMAO!! good one HBJetHydro!! Should try it when there is snow around i bet you'd have more fun.
I'm sure there's alot of people interested in your boat so just post the numbers and knock off the spamorama. You obviously didnt understand my other post. I'm sorry if i am the only one to see thru this marketing facade or at least the only one to speak up about it.
CHET

Unchained
04-02-2004, 11:05 AM
An old saying comes to mind ......
Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool,
Than to speak and remove all doubt about it.

TexasJet
04-02-2004, 03:21 PM
"facade" n, a false, superficial, or artificial appearance or effect. Chet, just what do you think we have posted that fits this definition? Please avoid generalities, ie, be specific. You will be graded on your response.

TRG
04-02-2004, 09:27 PM
marketing?...even if it is,...marketing, its is still some interesting material to learn about and possibly make a personal judgement upon! would you agree chet? or would you keep bashing someone who is taking pride in getting his hands dirty (sticky-n-itchy) trying to repair a design flaw and expressing what materials and parts/ vendor he chooses to use?
im willing to go out on a limb here and say that,... you dont even have enough knowledge about what you think you know to have an opinion on this topic, my personal judgement upon what i think of you and quite possibly everything you stand for, is that you are a bonified "CHUMP"!
have you ever been able to tell a perfect stranger on these boards, "hey buddy you have a beautiful boat, and you did an outstanding job in the restoration on that hull"? i seriously doubt it! that is why i say you are a chump! have a wonderful day chet.....for braines! :D
jet hydro keep up the good work, were all here to see the project progress and see what #'s she pulls when you are finished! good job buddy! :D
Todd

Jet Hydro
04-03-2004, 09:15 AM
Todd Well Spoken.
This is not a marketing effort but a simple topic on how wrong things were thought out back in the 70`s.
"Wrong" may not even be the right word but how "advanced" we are in design these day`s after looking back at a 70`s boat.
Other than Dean Willis, I am the only one to try to improve the performance of this style of boat by design, even Dean fell short of keeping the True Hydro styling by setting his Hydro Top on a Tunnel Bottom. I had asked Dean why he did his boat that way and his reply was that "the tunnel boat worked well so why not".
My plan is to keep the True Styling of the Hydro. I`v had many try to get me to change it by adding tunnels but I wont budge...lol.. Just like I told SDBA 069 when he asked me why I dont scrap the hole idea and get another boat to race." I have a point to prove and I`v been proving it well for the last two years." :D
I may have a big disappointment coming up real soon, who knows until it hit`s the watter???
Anyway, I`v got to get back to work as we are turning it back up-side down today to finish the bottom.
Have you kicked a vending machine Today :D

Jet Hydro
04-03-2004, 05:54 PM
well I got the intake set today and the boat back upside down so I can finish the bubble. Things are going as planed so far.
I hope to be installing the motor by next weekend and in the water by the following Monday for testing. If everything keeps going as it has, we should make the season opener in Waco on the 23rd.:D

ChetCapoli
04-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by TexasJet
just what do you think we have posted that fits this definition? Please avoid generalities, ie, be specific. You will be graded on your response.
What do i think "we" have posted?? You havent posted anything....it's the instructor that has gotten a little carried away is all.
Be specific..well if i must...ie... "cant keep up with snoot sales" is one that comes to mind. Did you get the numbers of the headers yet? Just wondering. What was the final price tag for the 8.6mph gain if you dont mind me asking?
CHET

Ken F
04-03-2004, 09:11 PM
Chet,
If you aren't an idiot, you made a world-class effort at simulating
one. Try to edit your writing of unnecessary material before
attempting to impress us with your insight. The evidence that you are
a nincompoop will still be available to readers, but they will be able
to access it more rapidly.
And what meaning do you expect your delusionally self-important statements of unknowing, inexperienced opinion to have with us? What fantasy do you hold that you would believe that your tiny-fisted tantrums would have more weight than that of a leprous desert rat, spinning rabidly in a circle, waiting for the bite of the snake?
On a good day you're a half-wit. You remind me of drool. You are deficient in all that lends character. You have the personality of wallpaper. You are dank and filthy. You are asinine and benighted. You are the source of all unpleasantness. You spread misery and hatred wherever you go.
I cannot believe how incredibly stupid you are. I mean rock-hard stupid. Dehydrated-rock-hard stupid. Stupid so stupid that it goes way beyond the stupid we know into a whole different dimension of stupid. You are trans-stupid stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid collapsed on itself so far that even the neutrons have collapsed. Stupid gotten so dense that no intellect can escape. Singularity stupid. Blazing hot mid-day sun on Mercury stupid. You emit more stupid in one second than our entire galaxy emits in a year. Quasar stupid. Your writing has to be a troll. Nothing in our universe can really be this stupid.
Perhaps this is some primordial fragment from the original big bang of
stupid. Some pure essence of a stupid so uncontaminated by anything else as to be beyond the laws of physics that we know.
Don't you know that you are pathetic? You worthless bag of filth. As they say in Texas. I'll bet you couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions on the heel. You are a canker- A sore that won't go away. I feel debased just for knowing you exist. You are a bloody nardless newbie twit protohominid chromosomally aberrent caricature of a
coprophagic cloacal parasitic pond scum. and I wish you would go away. You're a putrescent mass, a walking vomit. You are a spineless little
worm deserving nothing but the profoundest contempt. You are a jerk, a cad, a weasel. Your life is a monument to stupidity. You are a stench, a revulsion, a big suck on a sour lemon.
I will never get over the embarrassment of belonging to the same species as you. You are a monster, an ogre, a malformity. I barf at the very thought of you. You have all the appeal of a paper cut. Lepers avoid you. You are vile, worthless, less than nothing. You are a weed, a fungus, the dregs of this earth. And did I mention you
smell?
I'm sorry. I can't go on. This is an epiphany of stupid for me. After this, you may not hear from me again for a while. I don't have enough strength left to deride your ignorant questions and half baked comments about unimportant trivia, or any of the rest of this drivel. Duh.
Ken F

Old Guy
04-04-2004, 06:05 AM
Among the Inept, Researchers Discover,
Ignorance Is Bliss
By ERICA GOODE
There are many incompetent people in the world. Dr. David A.
Dunning is haunted by the fear he might be one of them.
Dr. Dunning, a professor of psychology at Cornell, worries about this
because, according to his research, most incompetent people do not
know that they are incompetent.
On the contrary. People who do things badly, Dr. Dunning has found in
studies conducted with a graduate student, Justin Kruger, are usually
supremely confident of their abilities -- more confident, in fact, than
people who do things well. "I began to think that there were probably
lots of things that I was bad at and I didn't know it," Dr. Dunning said.
One reason that the ignorant also tend to be the blissfully self-assured,
the researchers believe, is that the skills required for competence often
are the same skills necessary to recognize competence.
The incompetent, therefore, suffer doubly, they suggested in a paper
appearing in the December issue of the Journal of Personality and Social
Psychology.
"Not only do they reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate
choices, but their incompetence robs them of the ability to realize it,"
wrote Dr. Kruger, now an assistant professor at the University of Illinois,
and Dr. Dunning.
This deficiency in "self-monitoring skills," the researchers said, helps
explain the tendency of the humor-impaired to persist in telling jokes that
are not funny, of day traders to repeatedly jump into the market -- and
repeatedly lose out -- and of the politically clueless to continue holding
forth at dinner parties on the fine points of campaign strategy.
Some college students, Dr. Dunning said, evince a similar blindness: after
doing badly on a test, they spend hours in his office, explaining why the
answers he suggests for the test questions are wrong.
In a series of studies, Dr. Kruger and Dr. Dunning tested their theory of
incompetence. They found that subjects who scored in the lowest quartile
on tests of logic, English grammar and humor were also the most likely to
"grossly overestimate" how well they had performed.
In all three tests, subjects' ratings of their ability were positively linked to
their actual scores. But the lowest-ranked participants showed much
greater distortions in their self-estimates. Asked to evaluate their
performance on the test of logical reasoning, for example, subjects who
scored only in the 12th percentile guessed that they had scored in the
62nd percentile, and deemed their overall skill at logical reasoning to be
at the 68th percentile.
Similarly, subjects who scored at the 10th percentile on the grammar test
ranked themselves at the 67th percentile in the ability to "identify
grammatically correct standard English," and estimated their test scores
to be at the 61st percentile.
On the humor test, in which participants were asked to rate jokes
according to their funniness (subjects' ratings were matched against those
of an "expert" panel of professional comedians), low-scoring subjects
were also more apt to have an inflated perception of their skill. But
because humor is idiosyncratically defined, the researchers said, the
results were less conclusive.
Unlike their unskilled counterparts, the most able subjects in the study,
Dr. Kruger and Dr. Dunning found, were likely to underestimate their
own competence. The researchers attributed this to the fact that, in the
absence of information about how others were doing, highly competent
subjects assumed that others were performing as well as they were -- a
phenomenon psychologists term the "false consensus effect."
When high scoring subjects were asked to "grade" the grammar tests of
their peers, however, they quickly revised their evaluations of their own
performance. In contrast, the self-assessments of those who scored
badly themselves were unaffected by the experience of grading others;
some subjects even further inflated their estimates of their own abilities.
"Incompetent individuals were less able to recognize competence in
others," the researchers concluded.
In a final experiment, Dr. Dunning and Dr. Kruger set out to discover if
training would help modify the exaggerated self-perceptions of incapable
subjects. In fact, a short training session in logical reasoning did improve
the ability of low-scoring subjects to assess their performance
realistically, they found.
The findings, the psychologists said, support Thomas Jefferson's assertion
that "he who knows best knows how little he knows."
And the research meshes neatly with other work indicating that
overconfidence is a common; studies have found, for example, that the
vast majority of people rate themselves as "above average" on a wide
array of abilities -- though such an abundance of talent would be
impossible in statistical terms. And this overestimation, studies indicate, is
more likely for tasks that are difficult than for those that are easy.
Such studies are not without critics. Dr. David C. Funder, a psychology
professor at the University of California at Riverside, for example, said he
suspected that most lay people had only a vague idea of the meaning of
"average" in statistical terms.
"I'm not sure the average person thinks of 'average' or 'percentile' in quite
that literal a sense," Dr. Funder said, "so 'above average' might mean to
them 'pretty good,' or 'O.K.,' or 'doing all right.' And if, in fact, people
mean something subjective when they use the word, then it's really hard
to evaluate whether they're right or wrong using the statistical criterion."
But Dr. Dunning said his current research and past studies indicated that
there were many reasons why people would tend to overestimate their
competency, and not be aware of it.
In some cases, Dr. Dunning pointed out, an awareness of one's own
inability is inevitable: "In a golf game, when your ball is heading into the
woods, you know you're incompetent," he said.
But in other situations, feedback is absent, or at least more ambiguous;
even a humorless joke, for example, is likely to be met with polite
laughter. And faced with incompetence, social norms prevent most
people from blurting out "You stink!" -- truthful though this assessment
may be.
All of which inspired in Dr. Dunning and his co-author, in presenting their
research to the public, a certain degree of nervousness.
"This article may contain faulty logic, methodological errors or poor
communication," they cautioned in their journal report. "Let us assure our
readers that to the extent this article is imperfect, it is not a sin we have
committed knowingly.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

TexasJet
04-04-2004, 07:00 AM
Chet, he ran out, he sold the last one and had to reorder. Duane is in business to make money so if you think about it, for him to run out of snoots is a supply error on his part. They are not cheap and for him to order 22 at a time means a substantial investement for a small businessman. If the snoots were going to sit on the shelf for months and months it would not make sound business sence to order so many would it? As to your questions, I have the answers. However, I am not going to share them with you and here's why. I really think you will take what ever I say and twist it to suit your shit stirring purposes. Therefore, from this point on I have applied the "Chet Filter" I will not repond to anything you say in any post on any topic. I am not interested in anything you have to say. Goodby Chet and good riddance.

Ken F
04-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Steve, your topic kind of got hi-jacked and I appologise about that. Keep us posted, there are quite a few who are still interested in your project.
Ken

Jet Hydro
04-04-2004, 03:59 PM
Yea Ken, that always seem`s to happen when Chet comes around.:rolleyes:
I`m working out some high spots today and I should have the Polyester Primer on tonight. If I get it that far I`ll post up a pic of the finished new improved/redesigned bottom.:cool: :D

Jake W
04-04-2004, 04:52 PM
Boy O boy you really got to these guys Chet.
Once agine if you do not want to answer questions why post the topic?
Ken and Texas jet why would you let Chet get under your skin he did it to HBjet with MPD and now with you guys with HTP and buy playing in to it ,just makes him go further.
Chet we know Ken and Texasjet swear buy Duane and HTP why question them about it that is their choice.
I say your questions are revelent but vacuous.So that being the case they will never be taken serious.
Jethydro are you going to put a new paint job on the hydro?Allso I noticed that you drilled holes befor you set the intake , you are not going to bolt it in untill ithe epoxy is cured are you?

Jetmugg
04-04-2004, 05:11 PM
Jet Hydro:
I don't mean to hijack your thread, I just wanted to jump in and get an update on Jake W's Gullwing project. How's it going Jake?
Steve.

Jet Hydro
04-04-2004, 05:32 PM
Jake the new paint job got scraped because I`m running out of time with doing the car show`s this winter.
Next year it will get the art work and new paint :D unless I get my new boat before hand.
I set the intake last night while the boat was upside down, whata bitch that was....lol... I had to set it while it was upside down to make sure it followed my new bottom like I designed it. I put the epoxy on the intake and stuck it inside the hull using the bolts to hold it in place and at the angle I wanted it set at.
So "no" I didn't wait tell the epoxy was set up to install it, I set it while it was fresh and uncured.
Why would you want to wait for it to cure before installing?

Jet Hydro
04-04-2004, 06:42 PM
Steve - I'm curious to see the shape of the Intake Bump your going to put in.
Maybe this will help you see what kind of bubble I made.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020150-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020145.JPG
Here`s the old bottom again....
And now the new bottom:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020143-med.JPG

TexasJet
04-04-2004, 06:51 PM
Steve, sorry for getting off topic. It won't be necessary again. Now, I really like the way the bottom is looking. Are you bringing that boat to the Roost?

Ken F
04-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Jake,
Thanks, you made me learn a new word today-vacuous. Good word. Applys wonderfully to the "subject".
Ken F

Jake W
04-05-2004, 04:31 AM
Jethydro(Steve) they say not to put the bolts in and sinch them down when setting the intake because it could cause a hook .But in your case that probely wont apely being that there is not much surface there.It is looking good I hope it works for you.
Jetmugg(Steve) I have not been able to do much on the Gullwing in the last month been working just about every day, but should get back on it in a week or two.The plan is to jell it all black and where the 2 stripes are on the side will be 2 colors of orange in jell along with the racing buckets.the seat covers for the racing buckets should be done really soon they will be grey tweed with black piping.I am in the process of smoothing out the stringers and the bilge and gunnel surports to jell them black also.Dash has been filled of all the holes but for 4 gages and stearing.Set back is done (all in glass) the hull has less than 1/2 inch befor the intake breakes out and this is the MPD intake that has been cut at the mounting flange to make it set back further with out breaking out.Just yester day I stuck all the parts on the motor well all but the Canton pan to do a little day dreaming.That is where I am at at this point the hard part is next sanding it all down to spray the black jell.How are you doing?
Jake :D

UBFJ #454
04-05-2004, 06:34 AM
Steve -
What you've come up with looks good ... It's going to be interesting to see how well it works in the water. From the way it looks, it should work just fine, but, you never know ... Be Careful and Please keep us posted.
By the way, what depth below the shoe/shim mount plate did you make the bubble/bump? Could you post a picture of the "Keel" in profile and another looking at the bump in the intake from behind the transom ... I'm interested in comparing what you've done with what I've just completed putting under our boat.
Thanks in advance.
Jak

ChetCapoli
04-05-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Ken F
Jake,
Thanks, you made me learn a new word today-vacuous. Good word. Applys wonderfully to the "subject".
Ken F
Ken that word ought to be your middle name...at least i dont go on a two page rampage like some bi-polar individual in the nuthouse who got scolded for throwing his food on the floor did. I just put out the facts and since i hit a personal nerve with you,it's not liked bottom line. Well i dont like cheerleading bottom line especially when a so called "professional" does it after he sees the opportunity to do so(which seems to be every chance he gets). Doesnt' show much class! Isn't there another board with some guy complaining about the same gimmick? Had to do with that squirtcha guy and how he fell off the face of the earth after his 6.3 turned into a 2.3 gain. Amazing how that works eh?? I'm gonna have to look as i saw it somewhere.
Slowy got his answers weeks ago and the bottom job is done so everything else said here is "gravy" from the job. In your case its spam IMO. There will be more "substance" when he gets up his numbers i'm sure but until then....looks like drama.
As far as Texas... maybe you should "filter" your wallet next time and not me. Sorry if i asked you some questions that hurt your feelings and that wouldn't have hurt your wallet. Sue me! Only person i feel sorry for is sdba069 as he is in your backyard. Never going to know if he would have made you faster at a better price... sad but true. Btw, where are all these snoots texas do you know? For selling like hotcakes you sure dont see them on the net much. You would think a few would trickle down so we could get some "unbiased" feedback around here. Any reason why that would be?? Fair question isnt it?? You'd be lying if you said no.
CHET
P.S. Hey hobo with your first grade grammar skills on here, somone must have given you that word to use...fess up the truth now while i make myself a hot hamsanwhich! :D

Jet Hydro
04-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Just for you chet....
2 4 6 8 who do we appreciate?? Hi-Tech Performance and Aggressor....Yea ...now I`m cheerleading...Happy now?
Now Get the hell out of my topic and go spread you shit else where. Your not wanted in this topic. Move on!!!!!!:mad:
Hammer down, please remove chet from this topic.:mad: :mad:

Jet Hydro
04-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Steve -
What you've come up with looks good ... It's going to be interesting to see how well it works in the water. From the way it looks, it should work just fine, but, you never know ... Be Careful and Please keep us posted.
By the way, what depth below the shoe/shim mount plate did you make the bubble/bump? Could you post a picture of the "Keel" in profile and another looking at the bump in the intake from behind the transom ... I'm interested in comparing what you've done with what I've just completed putting under our boat.
Thanks in advance.
Jak
I have a 5/8" 5o shoe so I made the bubble 5/8".
It should give me a good place to play with shims.
I rounded the bubble in to the intake at 5" from the center of the front loader bolt holes.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020151-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020154-med.JPG

Duane HTP
04-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Sure nice work Steve. I'm anxious to see how it works, I know you are too.

UBFJ #454
04-05-2004, 12:48 PM
Steve, Thanks for the additional pictures ... They make what you've constructed clearer ... I do like what I see, but, I don't understand when you say:
[I have a 5/8" 5o shoe so I made the bubble 5/8".]
The 5o I'm confused by ... Is that a 0.500" thick shoe or ??????
We use the leading edge of the loader recess as Zero for our Longitudinal keel measurements and the shoe/shim mounting position on the intake as the Height/Depth Zero. By our scheme, the maximum depth of your keel would be at approx. 5 5/16" from our zero (based on our Berkeley Low Profile R Intake) ... As I have it built now, our max keel depth (1.523") occurs at 6.0".
The reason I'm asking about your bump depth and shoe thickness is ... Are you proposing to hang the show/shim hardware below the deepest point of the keel?????
As for this "Chet" character, Don't Waste Your Time Responding To His "Posts" ..... Just Ignore Him ... If Everyone Does, he'll probably go away.

Jet Hydro
04-05-2004, 02:51 PM
The 5o is type O...lol.... hit the wrong key`s and didn't notice it until you pointed it out.
The shoe is 5/8" thick.
"With Out" the shoe the mounting position is 5/8" lower than the maximum depth of the bubble.
As of right now I plan to start out with the shoe at the same depth as the bubble.
This boat might want to unload and reload the pump real bad on shut down so when I start to shim the shoe for depth I will do it in as small of amounts as I can. Been there done that with the old bottom and it wasn't very fun if you know what I mean...lol... Kinda like hitting a sand bar @ 90.
Funny thing about this boat is "how in the hell did it ever run as fast as it did with "NO" bubble and the ramp they had for the pod" ???
If someone would have told me that it ran 11`s I would have said Bull Shit...lol... No way...lol... but it did !
This new design can only make it better. Now if I can just tune it to fly like I want????????????

Jet Hydro
04-05-2004, 02:57 PM
Sure nice work Steve. I'm anxious to see how it works, I know you are too.
Thanks Duane, it`s been a lot of hard work and many of long hours. I sure hope it pay`s off like we want it too!
We will soon see :D Maybe by the weekend?

UBFJ #454
04-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Steve -
Please PM me a Phone # (and time that would be best) where/when I can call you.
Jak

Ken F
04-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Steve,
Well, looks like you've about got it ready for paint! It's got to be an improvement.
Just how much is the BIG question isn't it? LOL
Man, you have been putting in some long hours, and lots of hard work.
I'm anxious to know ...
Ken F
Bear, I put Chet on "Ignore User" list too.

Jake W
04-05-2004, 04:19 PM
Chet you are a riot.That post was more in you favor that theirs.
VACUOUS.I be thought that their word all buys me self.
It was more of a put up or shut up post.
I'm glad to have made it to fist grade status.Yea Yea thats great
Your buddy Jake aka Hobo:D

UBFJ #454
04-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Sorry Steve ... My Cell Phone went Dead.
5/8" = 0.625"
0.625 - 0.125 = 0.500 (Max Difference) ... 0.125 = 1/8th"
0.625 - 0.500 = 0.125 (Min Differtence)
2nd Shoe ... 0.125 Flat ? / or Taper ???
Jak

Jet Hydro
04-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Jak.Thanks once again for the input. I think that we are thinking on the same track. I`ll run it by Duane and we`ll see where we go next. Thank`s again.
Steve

UBFJ #454
04-05-2004, 04:50 PM
Suggestion ... Within the Range above, Play the "Shoe & Loader Game" to Dial It In ... If that's not it ... Take the next Step ... But ... Above All ... Go Piece- Wise-Continuously-Slowly Toward Being Aggressive In Your SetUp.

Jet Hydro
04-05-2004, 04:59 PM
will do Jak.
Back to sanding and more Polly primmer. I`m going to try and paint it tonight :D

Jake W
04-05-2004, 07:36 PM
Steve I think your thread is a great learning tool for some one with a jet hydro.I am sorry if I through it off track in any way.Look forward to the test results.

Jet Hydro
04-05-2004, 07:42 PM
Jak here the picture we were talking about. It was @ 1/2 track. Had to lift and let it settle down before stepping back on the gas. Took the win but it was to ugly to do it twice.
To much shoe and not enough ride plate for the nozzle I had on at the time.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208Waco_race_2.bmp

Jet Hydro
04-05-2004, 07:48 PM
Jake, the bottom that I have designed it not only for a Jet Hydro.
This style of bottom can be used on other boat as well. I already know of two other`s that are planning something close to what I have. Besides it wasn't you that jack it up in the first place...lol... we know who that was...errrrrrrrrrrr:rolleyes:

UBFJ #454
04-06-2004, 12:59 AM
Steve, I see what you meant by a "Wild Ride". Looking at the picture brought something to mind ... Check your PMs.

malcolm
04-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Just made it through the whole 7 pages. Good read! Look forward to more pics.

Jet Hydro
04-07-2004, 01:50 AM
It`s painted! :D
It`s only 5:00am but it`s painted.....lol...:eek!:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020166-med.JPG

Jet Hydro
04-07-2004, 02:00 AM
I had to go back to page one just to see how much it really changed "WOW" Took me a month but I think I`m happy now:D
03-09-2004
04-07-2004
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020168-med.JPG

Jet Hydro
04-07-2004, 02:24 AM
Page 2 still makes me ROTFLMAO.....lol...:wink:
This sure has been fun to share with you-all. Thanks for all the phone call`s, you guy`s kept me going!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020062-med.JPG :wink:

ONAROLL
04-07-2004, 02:44 AM
JetHydro..................
Very Nice job!!!

Unchained
04-07-2004, 03:16 AM
Nice work !!

UBFJ #454
04-07-2004, 05:58 AM
Steve, where are you putting the motor relative to where it was ... moving it forward a bit? Have you weighted the bare hull yet?

Duane HTP
04-07-2004, 07:33 AM
Steve, Bear brought up a very good point. Take your trailer over to the elevator this morning and weigh it. Then when you put the boat on it we can weigh it again and subtract the difference for hull weight.

Unchained
04-07-2004, 08:48 AM
Duane,
Did you guys ever weigh R & D express?
What did you get?
Jak,
What weight is your boat?

Jet Hydro
04-07-2004, 09:53 AM
We are going to put it on the Race Car Scales tonight before we turn it back right side up.
I`ll post the numbers tonight.

Duane HTP
04-07-2004, 10:19 AM
R & D Express weighs 540#.

UBFJ #454
04-07-2004, 10:34 AM
The "Black Mamba" weighed 500 +/- 10 lbs (scale accuracy) w/steering wheel & column, seat, gauges (now gone) and foot pedal (now replaced w/new dual pedal setup) ... My guess is that the totally bear hull weighs in at something like 485 lbs.

Jet Hydro
04-07-2004, 07:01 PM
Front is 577lbs
Back is 211lbs
Total is 787lbs
That make`s the back only 26.7%
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020172-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020175-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020176-med.JPG

Ken F
04-07-2004, 08:21 PM
Steve,
WoW...that really surprised me that it weighs that much, didn't it you?
Sure is lookin good by the way...
Ken

Cas
04-07-2004, 08:34 PM
WOW! you're doing some great work! Wanna come out to CA to paint up an easy project? :)
Can't wait to see what kind of numbers it'll do after the change over.
Oh yea, I think I've seen the first pictures of your boat without any duct tape on it :D

Jet Hydro
04-08-2004, 08:37 AM
Ken it doesn't surprise me at all. I`v been trying to tell everyone that it was at lest 800. I knew it was some where between 800 to 1000 lbs. I`ll have a total weight when it`s all done. I`m going to weigh every part as we install them. Motor, pump and all. you`ll shit when you see the total weight.

Ken F
04-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Steve, I'll bet the Omega still has you beat! LOL
Ken

Jet Hydro
04-08-2004, 11:21 PM
Transom plate had to be rebuilt. I`ll post a picture as soon as it`s finished but here`s a picture of the set back from the old set-up.
Old
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020005-med.JPG
New
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020178-med.JPG

Jet Hydro
04-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Cas
WOW! you're doing some great work! Wanna come out to CA to paint up an easy project? :)
Can't wait to see what kind of numbers it'll do after the change over.
Oh yea, I think I've seen the first pictures of your boat without any duct tape on it :D
If it will pay for the trip and I can run one NJBA race sure!
Hey now, I`m a racer and that duct tape is my best friend :D
Go to www.redgreen.com ;) one of my new sponsors....lol...
http://www.redgreen.com/images/index/door-over.gif

Jet Hydro
04-08-2004, 11:43 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208RedGreen.bmp

UBFJ #454
04-10-2004, 12:13 PM
Prefer 100 MPH Tape over Duct Tape ... But ... Love "Red, Green".

pops1
04-12-2004, 09:55 AM
Transom plate had to be rebuilt. I`ll post a picture as soon as it`s finished but here`s a picture of the set back from the old set-up.
[/IMG] Looking Good! Dave

Jet Hydro
04-12-2004, 01:08 PM
Thanks Dave :D and thank you for your help!
I know as always, with team Aggressor "I can only go forward" :D
Here's a picture of the new transom plate all polished up.
Just got back from Hi-Tech Performance, picked up a few goodies, look`s like we should be testing by Wednesday if all goes as planed? :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020186-med.JPG

Ken F
04-12-2004, 05:06 PM
I don't see the infamous Hi-tech logo on there steve.....you musta been rushing the big guy! lol
Ken

Duane HTP
04-12-2004, 05:27 PM
That's because we were too busy engraving 4 inch Hi-Tech logos in the side of your new boat. HA! Damn, I'm slipping. Must be the old age thing, Huh?

Jet Hydro
04-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Duane I thought you said they were going to be 8" letters ???:eek:
oop`s My Bad! :D ;)

Ken F
04-13-2004, 04:29 AM
Duane, been meaning to talk to you about that.......I like the 8" idea. Be careful about how deep your engraving goes though...the sides are pretty thin!
Ken

Jet Hydro
04-13-2004, 09:56 PM
Well it look`s like Thursday might be the test day? Keep coming up with to many small problems :( like finding new bolts the right size, making new parts and so on. It`s always something.:mad:
I`m getting real close but I`m not going to rush it. ;)

honkey1
04-14-2004, 07:36 AM
Well it look`s like Thursday might be the test day? Keep coming up with to many small problems :( like finding new bolts the right size, making new parts and so on. It`s always something.:mad:
I`m getting real close but I`m not going to rush it. ;)
Keep us posted Steve I can't wait to hear how it runs. Hopefully I'll see ya in OKC this year.

Jet Hydro
04-14-2004, 08:41 PM
Will do honkey1
I don't think there will be any racing in OKC this year again ....errrrrrrrr
But I still plan to come to lake dirty bird a few times.
Doesn't look like we will be testing for a few day`s... to much wind in the forecast.
Maybe Sunday?????
I still might take it to the water just to look for leaks but wont make any passes until the wind dies down.
I have to take my youngest MX Racing Saturday so I know that will be the day that I should have been on the water....lol...
Kid`s have to come first!
Dad`s come in last you know....lol...

Duane HTP
04-15-2004, 06:27 PM
Steve, Are we going to get to try it tomorrow?

Jet Hydro
04-16-2004, 08:22 AM
I`ll call ya. Are you going to be able to bring a boat (just in Case)or do I need to bring "The turd"?

pops1
04-16-2004, 08:58 AM
I`ll call ya. Are you going to be able to bring a boat (just in Case)or do I need to bring "The turd"?
Steve - Its been a long Haul, yet look at what you have accomplished and knowledge in getting there. You are now a Motor Man, Rigger, Set Up, Glass Man, Pump Man, Bottom man, And Driver Man. You are the MAN!!! Good Luck- No enjoy what you have accomplished- Dave

Jet Hydro
04-16-2004, 11:07 AM
Dave, Thank You! Maybe I should go to work for a Boat Shop ;)
Sometimes I just stand back and look at what I have accomplished and it really makes ya feel good to be able to say "I DID THAT !"
I hope I can tune it in a few day`s as Waco is less that 7 day`s tell I`m called to the rope.
Being that the wind has kept me out of the water it gave me a little more time to make a few more things that I felt were needed.
Got my intake brace finished just need to polish it but that will have to wait.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020200-med.JPG
Even finished the new drive shaft.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020197-med.JPG

UBFJ #454
04-18-2004, 07:02 AM
Testing ... Testing ... Testing ... ?????

Duane HTP
04-18-2004, 07:19 AM
Steve, I got your message, but something is wrong. I can receive email here at the lake, but I can not send it.??? You could call Brian, 316-208-4095, and he probably would let you in to pick up the shoes.

Jet Hydro
04-18-2004, 09:10 AM
I picked them up Friday, that opened up a whole new can of worms. They cut my hole opening down a bunch in the intake. they are going to have to do for now because I`m just out of time.
I Plan to test Tomorrow one way or the other. The wind has been a real problem and it`s gusting to 40mph today...errrrr

UBFJ #454
04-18-2004, 11:01 AM
What is the opening size with the shoe(s) in place ... from the front of the loader recess back to the leading edge of the shoe at its centerline?

Jet Hydro
04-18-2004, 01:37 PM
Now it`s 13 3/8
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020204-med.JPG

UBFJ #454
04-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Good opening to start with ... You can always grind them more open if you need to.

Jet Hydro
04-18-2004, 07:05 PM
All dressed-up and no where to go :(
this wind has to stop sometine????????????????
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020205-med.JPG

honkey1
04-18-2004, 07:52 PM
I hear it so windy because Texas blows and Nebraska sucks...
NOTE this is a joke I enjoy visiting both states.........

Jet Hydro
04-19-2004, 05:05 AM
it`s 7:52am and the wind is still blowing....errrrr
I`m going to the lake anyway just to see if I can find just one spot to get it wet.
Whis me luck...later:D

TexasJet
04-19-2004, 11:05 AM
It was definatley blowing in Texas this weekend, 20+ with gusts to 30+. Just starting to whitcap on the lake. Nice 15" chop, great for high speed runs, NOT!!

Beal Motorsports
04-19-2004, 12:25 PM
Hopefully things will be calming down for Waco, TX, this weekend.

Jet Hydro
04-19-2004, 04:50 PM
I be one Happy boater! :D
Out of the Box
We saw a gain in mph by "5mph" and the ET had to have gone up one full sec.
Handling was the best it`s ever been.
I am very happy with the out come!
Oh yea it Floats too! ;)
All I need is about another 1500 hp and some Nitro :D
With some tuning we should see some more gains in MPH and ET?
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4213P1020213.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020214-med.JPG

Ken F
04-19-2004, 04:54 PM
AWRIGHT Steve! That's a pretty big step
for no tuning. guessing here, but probably another 5-7 through set-up mods? Hopefully.
Congrats!
Ken F

Jet Hydro
04-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Thanks Ken
With the water we had the old boat would have never stayed hooked to the water but this new bottom just stayed sucked down and pushed forward.
I`m so damn happy I`m going to go home before 4:00am for the first time in 40 day`s... Yeeee Haaaaaaa.
Duane is making a few more parts to try but the water wont let us try them here so they will have to wait until T&T in Waco.
Really felt good to have Duane tell me how good of a job I did on the new design.
Damn, I`m wound up ...lol.... Can you tell ....ROTFLMAO ;)

Cas
04-19-2004, 05:39 PM
Congrats Steve, that's awesome! I'm also going with Ken on this one that you'll probably see another 5 or so once it's all dialed in. Doesn't it feel absolutely great when the work you've done comes out with really good results..... :)

RED
04-19-2004, 05:51 PM
Thats great! Been reading your thread for awhile. Good job on the hydro. Bet theres not many of those running around that will keep up with you. Just outstanding! Think im gonna have a beer.:D

Ken F
04-19-2004, 06:29 PM
Steve believe me....I know just how wound up you are! I was the same way Saturday pulling the new Cheyenne.
Good luck this weekend! Is D going with you? I'm pretty sure he said he was.
Ken F

Jet Hydro
04-19-2004, 07:48 PM
As far as I know Duane is going?
I cant wait to see how bad I smash my old ET of 11.50:cool: :D
Thanks for the wish of good luck, I need all the luck I can get!

Ken F
04-19-2004, 07:51 PM
Well, even if you don't take Lady luck with you this weekend, you will have something better....Duane in your pit!
What more could you want?
Ken

bottom feeder
04-19-2004, 08:44 PM
Jet Hydro,
Stellar job on the entire project. I have been lurking or learnng from your project. Thank you for sticking with the postings. The most informative thread in some time. Glade to see it go your way!
Best regards
Bottom Feeder

honkey1
04-20-2004, 09:57 PM
Good to hear keep us posted on how things go at Waco..........

Jet Hydro
04-20-2004, 11:04 PM
Thanks all and I`ll let you know how the ET goes in Waco. "up" I hope ??? :D
Still thinking about the new Jet Hydro :D
Thinking real hard now!
http://www.pritek.net/greg/can.jpg
http://www.pritek.net/greg/can5.jpg

UBFJ #454
04-21-2004, 07:53 AM
Steve - Check my comments over on the "Alley".
Good Luck @ Waco ... Be Wise ... Be Safe.

Duane HTP
04-23-2004, 01:50 PM
I just got a call from Brian. Jet Hydro just made his first run down the liquid 1/4 mile, with the new bottom, at Waco Tx. The boat stayed hooked up all the way down the track with a conservative set up. The numbers were 11:05 ET, @ 92 MPH. I'll bet Steve is jumping up and down.
He put a lot of hard work into that boat. Way to GO STEVE!

BLUBYU
04-23-2004, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the update. Time to start dialing it in...:)

BLUBYU
04-23-2004, 02:23 PM
I'm sure there's lots of peeps interested and wishing him well, keep us posted on how it goes..:wink:

Jet Hydro
04-25-2004, 07:12 PM
"Yep" I be one happy Camper :D
out of the box the Only change I made was going from the droop snoot with a 3.090 bushing in it to the Straight Snoot with the same 3.090 bushing and went from 88mph to 92mph. Stayed hooked all the way :D
Next step is to step up on the motor program but I still think there might be another 6 to 7mph in boat set-up with the current motor set-up.
We were rained out so I only got to make the one pass but That was enough for me to be happy partying in the rain all weekend.
I`ll post a pic of the run tomorrow.
I want to thank Duane from Hi-Tech Performance and Dave from Aggressor, I couldn't have gone this far with out you guy`s!
We are not even close to being done yet so stayed tuned, there will be more of "How the Little Jet Hydro Could"....lol....
I`m still wound up!!!! Cant wait for the Ft Worth race :D

Ken F
04-25-2004, 07:23 PM
Hey Steve, Congratulations!
I know you gotta be pumped!
Glad it worked out well, and I would agree that I think you are looking at more just through set-up. Just remember to take baby steps!
Ken

Jet Hydro
04-26-2004, 09:47 AM
92.4 mph @ 11.05 et
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208Waco_2004_11_0_et-med.jpg

Beal Motorsports
04-26-2004, 10:38 AM
I actually got to see you run. I was on the holding rope about 15 boats down. Looked like it left the line pretty hard. I was also the one in the Leas Brothers pit talking with you and Brian. I was also curious if you had found a hat adapter for the b&m? We switched to a Kuhl supercharger for that reason. Those carbs can be onry when sitting on top of a huffer!

Jet Hydro
04-26-2004, 11:33 AM
They don't make a hat adapter for these mega blowers. I might make one myself or just scrap the blower and move up to a real blower. These blowers are great for a lake boat but I really don't think they were made for all out racing. Right now I`m just thinking of sending off the carbs and having them converted.
You should have introduced your self, wasn't like we didn't have time for BSing...lol...
I needed to put 2 more degrees of timing in because when I hit the gas it took a crap and cost me about 1 1/2 sec on the starting line. Once the motor caught back up it did leave pretty hard but it was to late to be first to the finish line :( Good thing it was only T&T...lol...
We still had a good time and cant wait for the next race.

Beal Motorsports
04-26-2004, 11:42 AM
Duane used to sponsor us with our texas tunnel. We ran the B&m as well and it seemed that our B&M would max at about 9-10 psi. Oh and that pass looked a lot smoother than the one from before. Are you going to Brady?

Jet Hydro
04-26-2004, 12:02 PM
No, I`m going to set out until Ft Worth. I want to try to do some motor work if time will allow.
Yea, that pass was smooth as it`s ever been. You could feel the air entrapment as it built up speed. Was a hell of a lot better than jumping out of the water @ 1/2 track and it kept the officials off my butt...lol...

LVjetboy
04-29-2004, 11:40 PM
"92.4 mph @ 11.05 et"
Thanks for the followup posting numbers.
jer

Jet Hydro
04-30-2004, 08:26 AM
No problem LV, hope to post better numbers next time. The ET should have been a 11.00 but the motor didn't like the weather change and took a crap on the line so I didn't get much of a run at the starting line.
Going to do some shoe work and change the wedge, might pick up a few MPH and drop the ET a little. The rpm`s were a little high so I think I can up the intake pressure some.

pops1
05-05-2004, 08:45 AM
NOW YOU HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT IT- Whats next! good job -done well!

superdave013
05-05-2004, 09:13 AM
or just scrap the blower and move up to a real blower. These blowers are great for a lake boat but I really don't think they were made for all out racing.
Now you're talking! Those 2 lobe deals are ok for a street rod. You might be asking just a little to much out of one though.
I would like to say that this is one of the best threads ever. I enjoyed following along and would like to give you a congrats on the out come.
Anyone can buy a boat, takes a real man to cut one up to make it different!

Jet Hydro
05-05-2004, 12:33 PM
pops 1 I think we are going to play the shoe & loader game for a while to see what we can get out of what we have right now, then I`m planning on stepping up the motor program a bit. I think with a few more pony's we will see an even larger improvement. The boat feel`s like it can take on more HP now :D That Aggressor Low Profile Intake sure fooled everyone didn't it? :D
Worked Just like I said it would. Great!
Thanks for assisting me on the project. Couldn't have done it with out the Pump Parts! It`s all got to work together and that it does!

Jet Hydro
05-05-2004, 12:46 PM
Thanks superdave013,
I hope you all had as much fun reading about it as I did doing it. I`d would have loved to seen some of the look`s that were on some faces when I cut that big hole :D
It`s been a blast and the people helping me have been so good to work with, I`d do it again in a heart beat!
To bad Hot Boat didn't pick up the Story, it would have been a good read for some of the readers that don't visit the web site.
I know that`s the stuff I like to read about in Hot Rod.
again Thanks Dave.

ChetCapoli
05-05-2004, 04:38 PM
"Yep" I be one happy Camper :D
out of the box the Only change I made was going from the droop snoot with a 3.090 bushing in it to the Straight Snoot with the same 3.090 bushing and went from 88mph to 92mph. Stayed hooked all the way :D
I'm amazed you tried a droop first...interesting to know the thought process here? Did you have doubts there slowy or was this prerehersed for the show? I wonder if you adjusted the shoe with the droop still on you would have had the same 4mph gain.... then again....maybe a bit bigger on the insert would have given you 4?? Quite a few scenarios to consider that might just work.(not to promote but that would actually work if you know what i mean :D)) Alot of water thru that new pump to restrict it like that especially with blower hp. With all those free parts what difference does it really make i guess. Cant beat the free word anyday in my book. To bad most guys dont have free parts to try.
i think if you did you wouldn't post up it up here.... drama baby...drama... :p
Your buddy
CHET

Jet Hydro
05-05-2004, 05:51 PM
Chet you wanted the facts and that`s what I posted!
Now for the reason on why I tried the droop first "it was the last set up that we ran last year and I needed a starting point to know where I was headed." "NO" There were no doubts about anything because I didn't know what was going to work and what wasn't.
show???? WTF show??? What are you talking about here chet? There was no show to it, Me, My girl friend, Duane and Brian were the only one`s there during testing. Who was the show for? oh and the dumb ass on the jet ski.
I bought booth the snoot and the droop from Duane so WTF are you getting at?
I wonder if you adjusted the shoe with the droop still on you would have had the same 4mph gain
If I would have left the droop on and lowered the shoe it would have spit me out the front on shut down!
I ran 6400 rpm`s with the droop and 6700 rpm`s with the snoot. Thus telling us that being that it went faster (mph) with the snoot but ran more rpm that the snoot needs more shoe. this motor is set up for 6500 rmp`s
I first lake tested the snoot with a 3.125 and went the same speed as the droop. Then Duane made a 3.090 ((((The Same size we tried in the droop)))) and saw the mph gain. So "NO"to your comment ----->maybe a bit bigger on the insert would have given you 4?<---- it doesn't work that way chet.
If I go to small, it will spit the tail out of the water on top end because the intake pressure go`s up to much, so we have to find the right size hole to make it all work together.
If you go to big you only slow down. It`s all about testing and testing.Chet you have a lot to learn about SET-UP`s
Chet I spend thousands of dollars testing these free parts you keep talking about just so people like yourself can be sure your getting what your paying for. Free Think again! Now if you want to fund all the testing and pay me for my time and the R&D we do then yes you`ll have the right to say Free but until you do STFU you know nothing about what your talking about. One half hour of testing burns $75.00 just in fuel. Want to pay that bill? How about just the up keep on the motor? How about the $1000.00 I spend per event to show case their parts? How`s about just pay for my time I spend? I`ll put your name on the boat.????
I have obligations to those that sponsor me and I have to do so much for them in return or they will move on to someone else. There`s nothing FREE in this world!
It all cost someone somewhere!
Most of the time is`s all involved.

Jake W
05-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Chet I want to say something on behalf of any Buis or shop or person that spams(jet stuff) on hear or any where else.These guys need to make money to stay in buis.If none of them sold parts or their services then they would be no more.I for one would like there to be as many jet shops buis ect there could be thus more choices.I say spam away guys.Make some money so we as jetters can have something new or rebuilt for the future.
I like my JETAWAY,PRIME A JET thanks HTP
I like my DPS INDUCER thanks LCK Marine
I like my flowed pump impellor and custom made loader thanks MPD
I like my Shortey Headers thanks BASSETT
I like my NOS bottle Bracket and 2 in carb spacer thanks SB Products
I like my sheet alum valve covers thanks Unique Alum Products
The ****ing list goes on and on CHET these are the people that make what we have in the first place or make them better.
Now with that said there is no problem with asking questions about these products or services.

Duane HTP
05-05-2004, 07:01 PM
Jake, you're wasting your time on ole Cjet! You could take him to the lake and show him the difference that some of the above mentioned parts made, and he still wouldn't get it.

HammerDown
05-06-2004, 04:31 AM
Hmmmm, this thread isn't headed in the wrong direction...is it?

Jake W
05-06-2004, 04:54 AM
Na Hammer .Jethydro how much heigth did you take off the pod?Also is it running on 3 points now or just the pod?

Jet Hydro
05-06-2004, 06:19 AM
3 points but the sponsons only tick the water.
Hammer I asked you to remove Chet from this topic long ago. Now do you see why?
he ad`s nothing in no way shape or form. If he was just trying to learn something it would be different.We all know what he`s up too!:mad:

Jet Hydro
05-06-2004, 02:01 PM
My computer at the house took a dump So I couldn't finish my reply.
Jake I cut about 1 1/4 " off the depth of the pod.

cyclone
05-06-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Jake W
Chet I want to say something on behalf of any Buis or shop or person that spams(jet stuff) on hear or any where else.These guys need to make money to stay in buis.If none of them sold parts or their services then they would be no more.I for one would like there to be as many jet shops buis ect there could be thus more choices.I say spam away guys.Make some money so we as jetters can have something new or rebuilt for the future.
I like my JETAWAY,PRIME A JET thanks HTP
I like my DPS INDUCER thanks LCK Marine
I like my flowed pump impellor and custom made loader thanks MPD
I like my Shortey Headers thanks BASSETT
I like my NOS bottle Bracket and 2 in carb spacer thanks SB Products
I like my sheet alum valve covers thanks Unique Alum Products
The ****ing list goes on and on CHET these are the people that make what we have in the first place or make them better.
Now with that said there is no problem with asking questions about these products or services.
Amen! i too would like to see more business coming here to sling parts and answer questions. I dont care if it is spam, its still information. the more the better if you ask me.
Chet works too hard to squeeze a dime out of a nickel to realize the value of info that passes right on by while his head is up his ass. :D
By the way, I love my Jet-a-way because it's already saved me twice from being tossed out the side of my boat. Thanks!

ChetCapoli
05-06-2004, 06:59 PM
Now do you see why?
he ad`s nothing in no way shape or form. If he was just trying to learn something it would be different.We all know what he`s up too!:mad:
No slowy tell me why?? Funny how sides change in less than a year eh?? You got GOLDEN pom pom's pal!! It be one thing if you'd just post up your stuff but you have to cheerlead beyond anything ol HB has ever done. You see why no other guru's want to come here?? Like i told you before, first it was the donut club and now its the support group for the promoter. When does it end? GS marine used to come here...wonder why he doesnt anymore..hmmm. That perfromance jet guy up there in N Cal USED to come here..not anymore.... what about SDBA069???The list can go on and on and on. Yet you blame me. I gotta laugh. As far as learning something..shit my friend whadiathink i didnt do something along the lines of what you did? I didnt cut my boat up some and modify strakes and the like??? I didnt play with shoes, droops, loaders, inserts etc..?? WTF??
This thread is overwith as far as your project and learning..the rest is gravy for you to pom pom about..bottom line. Enough is enough already. Post your numbers and let it be. I asked you some GOOD questions..you just didnt like em cuz i QUESTION your mans parts! GOODNESS GOD dont say they dont work. He'll call you ever name in the book if you question em boy...VERY PROFESSIONAL. (I see he edited his "DICKH#$D" remark before i had a chance to quote it!)Makes me wanna run right out and buy parts from him for sure. If i did and they didnt work he'd give me every reason why and how I DID it wrong i bet and tell me to pound salt to get my money back. The snoot not work? WHAT??? OMG how can you say such a thing! We'll for FIVE HUNDRED BEANS i dont need a shelf piece sorry. Speaking of which...where did that squirtcha guy go? He was all over the place about it and then vanished...hmm... seems that 6.3 turned into a 2.3 real quick eh?? What happened there? How many shoe adjustments did he make if any??? Honest question i must say. There is no reason why you cant get the same numbers with a droop and playing with different shoes, inserts, loaders, etc.. bottom line. American turbine came out with that snoot long before and you don't see to many of them...why do you think that is???
CHET
Dont tell me you pay for all your parts either..why do they call is SPONSOR?? I'm sure you dont have many self pieces hangin on your wall.

ChetCapoli
05-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by cyclone
Amen! i too would like to see more business coming here to sling parts and answer questions. I dont care if it is spam, its still information. the more the better if you ask me.
Chet works too hard to squeeze a dime out of a nickel to realize the value of info that passes right on by while his head is up his ass. :D
I gotta laugh at you too cyclone. Your part of the donut club arent ya? You wouldn't buy your parts or have work done anywhere else so why do you want other alternatives?? You wont ever use them to save a buck but yet you critisize me for it..too funny! Seems the value of info comes from two places around here.....all the rest are chased away! FACT!
chet

Duane HTP
05-06-2004, 07:15 PM
Chet you're right. You did run off Greg, you did run off 069, and you have run off some other good people. You have won. You have accomplished your mission. You have now run me off of this board too. I hope you're happy. For those of you who I was trying to help, I'm sorry it has come to this. Thank you for all of the business and support that you have given me. I'm sure most of you will continue, and like always, I'll try to give you the best advise or steer you in the best direction I know how. Please mark my web site, www.hi-techperformance.com and email me at, doblander@hi-techperformance.com or feel free to call me at any time, 316-794-8616. I'll be there to help and serve you. And Chet, remember, that little yellow sticker on the back of all of those boats that are passing you at the lake came from
HI-TECH PERFORMANCE, INC.

FOMOCO76
05-06-2004, 07:34 PM
WOW !!!!:( :( :yuk:

Jet Hydro
05-06-2004, 08:15 PM
Chet I don't think you did anything even close to what I did to my boat.. your not smart enough.
yes I "DO" have a back room with all kind`s of parts hanging on the wall. I`ll try to post a picture just for you sometime this weekend. I don't know of to many 4500 sq foot shops that "don't" have self pieces hanging on the wall.
((((American turbine came out with that snoot))))
no shit????
HEY STUPID LOOK AT THE SNOOT I RUN!
There is a picture of it you dumb ass. Bet your not smart enough to know what brand it is?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020233-med.JPG
You know chet, it is fun to shoot the shit with you but running off the builders is something none of us want. I don't think there is anyone left now for you to run off, Are you happy Now?
Duane don't run off because of Chet, We all know he`s full of month old vending machine leftovers. It`s not his fault he was drooped on his head as a child. Chet you keep this shit up and you`ll be posting to yourself before long. Hammer may not have the balls to boot you but others may find a new web site that will if you show up.
Hammer step up or let someone else have the job!
What more is it going to take?:confused:

King Kuracz
05-07-2004, 09:51 AM
Chet, you're a ****ing douche bag!
Duane, thanks for the help and info you've given to us on this and other boards. Don't blame you a bit for not wanting to be a part of Chet's bullshit when you could be out making a buck during your busiest season.
Now the question, with all the pros run off, does this make Chet the "leading expert" around here?
If not, for sure he's at least the leading asshole!

Ken F
05-07-2004, 06:49 PM
Duane,
Sorry to see you go. You have helped many of us and oftentimes not made a dime for your efforts, but I understand your position in leaving. You have a business to think about.
Hammer, how long are you going to let this go on?
Pretty soon, there will be no vendors, builders, or pump people willing to come here to even ask questions of. If Duane promotes his business here to a degree, so what. He isn't overbearing about it. He passes out a lot of good helpful advice too, and never asks a penny.
You know, the more I think of it, I don't think I'm going to return either. Who needs this shit? It reminds me of the Jerry Springer show here. ...and I don't watch it either.
Ken F

King Kuracz
05-07-2004, 07:04 PM
Ken, you can now expect to recieve a nasty PM from Chit.
Be very afraid! lol

Cas
05-07-2004, 10:05 PM
there always has to be 1 dumb **** to ruin it for everyone else. Not that it's any big surprise but you're that 1 Chet

cyclone
05-09-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by ChetCapoli
I gotta laugh at you too cyclone. Your part of the donut club arent ya? You wouldn't buy your parts or have work done anywhere else so why do you want other alternatives?? You wont ever use them to save a buck but yet you critisize me for it..too funny! Seems the value of info comes from two places around here.....all the rest are chased away! FACT!
chet
i must ask what this "donut club" is that you speak of?
I haven't sent any money Duane's way but I still value his opinion and enjoy reading his posts. Here's the deal Chet. You happen to post on a website that is populated mostly by people who happen to live in the Southwest. Strictly by locale, these folks deal with businesses that are near their home and as such, when a new person asks for advice, these people recommend the shops that they frequent. You're unfortunate circumstance is living somewhere else and this puts you in the minority of the folks on this site. Hell, I get to go boating with most of the folks here on a fairly regular basis and I consider myself lucky for that.
You could tell anyone to go anywhere, but instead you seem to sarcasticly jump on everyone else' case that doesn't subscribe to your point of view.
Yes some people will pay the pros to do their work and not question the advice given to them because there is one thing money can't buy and that is TRUST. Finding a pump or engine builder you feel comfortable with trusting isn't easy. Once you do, there isn't much reason to switch to another builder if you're boat runs the way you want. If a person is happy with the performance they get out of their boat even though they didnt try every different mfr's product on the market, there is nothing wrong with that. Most people dont have the time or money it takes to lake test all the different parts likes droops, snoots, impellers etc. I for one have little time to test my boat which is why i took it to the track. I learned alot about it that weekend.
It's all part of the game. You pick a builder, take their advice and then go have fun with your boat. It doesn't matter that it might cost more than brand x or that you didn't directly compare brand x to brand y. Stick with what you're comfortable with and just go boating and have fun.
Now you can't honestly say I've been cheerleading for any single pump vendor here. When people ask tech questions regarding jets I offer very little advice because frankly, i'm qualified to speak about my setup only and not much else. And if you think I'm uninterested in saving a few bucks then you must have missed the part where I rigged, wired, sanded, welded, carpeted, fiberglassed, rebuilt and restored both of my boats from top to bottom with nothing more than help from a few good friends. I outsourced the pump and my latest motor because I dont have the right machinery to mess with it. If I did, you'd find me tackling these two projects as well.
At the very least I hope i've opened your eyes to the reasons why things are the way they are with many of the members on this forum. It's got nothing to do with getting a discount or cheerleading for a certain shop.
Personally, I'd rather read posts about you wrenching on your own boat or testing it at the lake than another post where you talk smack on other forum members. It would be nice to see you drop the chip on your shoulder and get back to enjoying the information this site has to offer.
so how is your boat running? (i mean that in the most unsarcastic way possible.)