PDA

View Full Version : BOAT SIZES on the RIVER

Goodtime$
03-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Do you ever think the day will come when there are boat size limitations on the river?
I know there is a push from Parker residents to keep the big offshores out and to keep shoreline erosion down.
Blythe is limited by the water level, goodluck with a 23foot plus.
Havasu? launch ramp limitations?
just shootin the breaze.

HavasuDreamin'
03-09-2004, 05:53 AM
There will be no size limitation. How can anyone justify it? The only size limitation will be due to lower water levels and people really screwing up their 38' boats on the river.

beached 1
03-09-2004, 06:51 AM
I would like to see a limit of size on the river, but I think the lakes such as Havasu shouldn't be. At least on Havasu (although it is getting pretty rough I'll admit) there is enough room for them to run.

Mr.Havasu
03-09-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by HavasuDreamin'
There will be no size limitation. How can anyone justify it? The only size limitation will be due to lower water levels and people really screwing up their 38' boats on the river.
You got that right, I hate bringing my 28' to parker. Everytime I do I screw something up. I guess I just don't know the river good enough. I'll stay in Havazoo, except for OP6 or River Dave's birthday. Some events are just plain worth the risk!;)

Goodtime$
03-09-2004, 01:20 PM
I dont believe that havasu will or should have a limitation on boat sizes.
But Parker is no Havasu, and i was just curious what everyone thought. It has been proposed for the past couple years to try and limit larger boats on the strip due to crowds,accidents and shoreline erosion.
The real issue is safety, conserving the river we all love and banning jet skiis, have a good one. 90degrees in Blythe yesterday i hear.....

rivercrazy
03-09-2004, 01:25 PM
I bet most of the shore line erosion and the rough water in Parker and other locations is not due to big boats but to wakeboard boats with their sub planing speeds and water bladders.......Wakeboarding has much more to do with these problems than larger boats IMO

HavasuDreamin'
03-09-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Goodtime$
But Parker is no Havasu, and i was just curious what everyone thought. The real issue is safety
That is the only way they can justify banning larger boats on the river IMHO. You can't just decide (as a governing body) to ban someone or something without just cause. I can see the larger boats being of greater threat on busy weekends if the owner/operator is ripping it up through a crowded area. Larger boats just aren't as nimble as the smaller ones. On the flip side, if someone was ripping it up in a congested area, most likely the cops would write him up for unsafe operation.
As I said earlier, replacing a $3,000 gearcase and $1,000 prop will make the big boys think twice. ;)

CMABadseed
03-09-2004, 02:26 PM
we are always at the lower river by martinez and i have noticed that....despite them looking so small at havasu, the biggest boat we see down there is a Mach 26, with that small an area the thing looks like a house. not to mention those advantage party cats with the high sides.
IMO,there is no reason to have something really big at parker either, there just isnt the room to have fun in a boat much bigger than 26 or 28.

BUSTI
03-09-2004, 04:08 PM
I would hate to see gov't. regulation restrict boat size on the Parker Strip. Thats a sure way to invite other regulations such as motor and fuel type and that kind of intrusive govt regulation that we would all hate to see. Personal preference for me would be that all big boats go where it is safe for them run. The big lakes namely. But I would rather live with the big boats and their wakes at Parker than the thought of having big government control our weekends!
My friend is an independent insurance broker and he told me that Progressive Ins. is considering putting their own restrictions on their insureds for the Parker strip and that boat size is an issue to them.

Boatcop
03-09-2004, 04:46 PM
It would be impossible to regulate boat size on the River. There are too many Agencies and Jurisdictions involved.
If (for example) California passed a law that says boats over 24 feet are illegal on the Parker Strip, it wouldn't be unenforceable, unless the state of Arizona passed a similar law. The federal government (Coast Guard) would also have to sign off on it. That would take an act of Congress to make it a Federal Law.
There is little chance of that happening, since the two states can't agree on things like age limits for operation and other discrepancies.
And if just the Feds passed a length law, it couldn't be enforced by State Officers, who have limited Federal Jurisdiction. It could only be enforced by Federal Officers, such as the Coast Guard, BLM, or US Fish and Wildlife, who have better things to do that be out there with a tape measure checking boat lengths.
It would also be too broad. A 28 foot pontoon boat doesn't throw up any kind of wake to speak of, but would also be illegal. They couldn't exempt multi-hull boats to allow pontoon boats, because of the big cats.
There would also be Constitutional issues, since the State has no authority for shoreline erosion control or regulation of Federal Streams and Waterways. That's the responsibility of the Federal Government (Corps of Engineers).
Just for clarification, since I know the question will come up, the states can enforce their own laws, even if they are somewhat different form the other, if the other state has a similar law.
Example: Both states have age restrictions. California's is just higher than Arizona's. So Officers of either state can enforce THEIR OWN STATE'S age restriction.
An opposite example would be if one state required licensing, and the other didn't, it couldn't be enforced on joint jurisdiction waterways, unless the other state had some sort of licensing or training law also. UNLESS The law said that residents of, or boats registered in that state couldn't be operated without a licensed operator.

CA Stu
03-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
I bet most of the shore line erosion and the rough water in Parker and other locations is not due to big boats but to wakeboard boats with their sub planing speeds and water bladders.......Wakeboarding has much more to do with these problems than larger boats IMO
I agree 100%. One wakeboard boat with a fully loaded bag can ruin the river for anything less that a deep-V hull.
It's freakin' inconsiderate and selfish to run boats like that on the River in my opinion. Drag that baby to Havasu, and let the flats and smaller boats have some fun, too.
Wakeboard boats can run on Havasu or the River, shallow jetboats can only run on the River. Why not be friendly and let them have their fun?
Thanks
CA Stu

Rexone
03-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Just ban all jet powered boats under 14 feet. ;)
j/k seadooers.

77charger
03-09-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by HavasuDreamin'
There will be no size limitation. How can anyone justify it? The only size limitation will be due to lower water levels and people really screwing up their 38' boats on the river. With the upper colorado lakes (powell and mead)Getting lower every year and the populations getting bigger this might put and end to big boats(as well as smaller boats) on all waterways.Imagine no more water flowing from there?
As for bans on boat sizes if they can get away what will keep them from limiting other boats.
People want lake lice banned if that can be done what will keep them from banning other watercraft.Personally it aint the boat size its the drivers.

disco_charger
03-09-2004, 08:23 PM
I don't know, I've seen a couple 30' + cats through the Topoc gorge, not on plane leaving a tidal wave. Wanted to kill that guy. Makes me wonder why someone with a 30 footer would want to drive their boat somewhere that requires a 3 point turn to change directions :rolleyes:

Froggystyle
03-09-2004, 11:10 PM
What you guys need is a "Tri-Hydro" (tm) deckboat with a jet drive... hehe

RiverToysJas
03-09-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
What you guys need is a "Tri-Hydro" (tm) deckboat with a jet drive... hehe
But Froggy, where-ever could we get one of those??? (http://www.tridentboats.com) ;)
RTJas :D

repo man
03-10-2004, 12:58 PM
what is it with "THE LAND OF THE FREE'' wanting to ban every thing?

Ducatista
03-10-2004, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't even think to put my boat on at Parker. I can't believe some people do with large rigs, that seems crazy to me. Unless it was to swamp a bunch of peeps from HB with freeboard challenged boats! J\K:D

Froggystyle
03-18-2004, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
But Froggy, where-ever could we get one of those??? (http://www.tridentboats.com) ;)
Thanks Jas! I just caught up with this post. When are you coming down for a peek?

RiverToysJas
03-18-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
Thanks Jas! I just caught up with this post. When are you coming down for a peek?
LOL! That's a good idea, I'll have to schedule a trip pretty soon. I'd love to see what's goin' on down there!!!

shueman
03-20-2004, 06:49 AM
Big Boats, Big Water - Lakes
Small Boats, Small Water - River
I believe the Bridgewater Channel limit is 36'.
Personally, I choose to go where they ain't.

riverbound
03-20-2004, 12:06 PM
I am sick of the big boats on parker. Its not the size of the wakes that bother me because most of them are going so fast there is very little wake. The thing that gets me is that most of these boats are so big that the smaller boats and lake lice are not visible to them I have had many close encounters where the guy in the boat that belongs in the ocean almost ran me over in my river boat. and while I am not a big fan of government intervention in our hobby, I do feel that something needs to be done. If people with ocean boats are not smart enough to keep their boats in the ocean or big lakes someone should step in and do it for them.
Sorry for the rant but I remember when you would drive up and down the strip and see flatbottoms lined up on the beaches now they come out at sunrise and sunset and put them all away during the day.

Havasu Cig
03-20-2004, 12:20 PM
I would not take our boat to Parker, but at Havasu there is plenty of room to run. If I do buy another boat for just Havasu it will be a pontoon boat, but that does not mean the Cig will not make an appearance now and then.
For those who want legislation I guess the guy I saw launching his 16' jet boat at O'Side Harbor a month ago should not be allowed to do so either. After all it could be a safety issue:confused:

Havasu Cig
03-20-2004, 12:21 PM
For those that are anti "big boat" you better stay away from the poker runs on Havasu. I would hate to see you supporting the show by watching.

riverbound
03-20-2004, 01:01 PM
I just run my boats where they belong my 18" spectra does not see havasu it stays on parker . The big boats are okay on havasu because there is room to run them there. I am not anti big boat I use to race offshore with my uncle until I had kids and now I have to focus on other things.

DUNDUN
03-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by CA Stu
One wakeboard boat with a fully loaded bag can ruin the river for anything less that a deep-V hull.
It's freakin' inconsiderate and selfish to run boats like that on the River in my opinion. Drag that baby to Havasu, and let the flats and smaller boats have some fun, too.
Wakeboard boats can run on Havasu or the River, shallow jetboats can only run on the River. Why not be friendly and let them have their fun?
Thanks
CA Stu
I agree, I have a flattie and The wakeboard boats almost to sink us everytime they pass. and the people that have these boats don't know how to use them and don't understand the wake they're throwing or they just are that inconsiderate.So Boats like mine get hit with 4 ft. rollers!
I don't have a problem with the big boats, I think they're pretty cool, one day when I'm rich, I might buy one but I think they belong on havasu with the rest of the water buffalos.

Flying Tiger
03-20-2004, 06:16 PM
I have a electric remote wake size and shape control.
T.A.P.S.
If I'm not towing a wakeboarder, I adjust the taps so I have no wake. Perfectly flat behind me.
Several other builders offer a version of this too.
I tow at sunrise, sometime evenings, & on slow days on the river, and usually at 14mph.
Big deep V Hulls put out a far bigger wake than anything I can muster, and there's far more of them out there.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812P1010014-med.JPG

BADBLOWN572
03-20-2004, 10:50 PM
I run my 26' cat on Parker all the time and I have no intention of stopping. When I get my bigger boat, I intend on running it there too! Riverbount made the comment "The thing that gets me is that most of these boats are so big that the smaller boats and lake lice are not visible to them." Wait a second, A boat on parker being so big that you cant see another watercraft...That is BS! If someone is in your blindspot, you let them get there by not driving away from them. I do everything I can to keep my field of vision open and keep all watercraft at least 30' away from me in all directions. If someone claims that an accident happened because they couldn't see another boat, they have no reason being on the river or behind the wheel of a boat. I too remember when flattys lined the sides of the lake, but that is in the past and it will not happen again! If you limit boat sizes, you are still going to be allowing 19' boats that throw just as much wake as a 30' boat. Get real! Look at the problem and your solution doesn't make sense. Next thing you will say is if it is not a flat bottom, get off of the river.
I have a great respect for smaller boats and I am considering getting a flatty right not, but there is a time and a place for both. There is no way I would take out a flatty on a weekend. They are perfect for when no one is on the lake. Getting mad about bigger boats causing the water to be too rough is stupid. I can promise you my 26' cat throws less wake than most 20' boats.
I am a firm beliver that if a boat can be operated safely in an area, they should be able to be there. Size of a boat is not that big of an issue. It is more about the responsibility of the driver and their knowledge of how to drive their boat on the waterways. It is plain stupid and irresponsible for a big boat to go hauling ass by redrock if there are a lot of smaller boats out front just as it would be stupid to go running a flatty out in front of road runner on a holiday weekend. Be smart, be safe, and we can all run on the river safely.

shadow
03-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Never had or have any problems spotting lice on the river.
Seems the lice can't spot a 27ft cat comming up or down river.
Always shooting across the river in front of on comming boats.
Maybe not the size of the boat,maybe the boating skills of the
"Rental lice" and brains of the people out there sking and wakeboarding in the middle of the river on holiday weekends.
It's not the boat sizes it's the responsibility of the operators.

TRG
03-21-2004, 09:25 PM
ive said it before,...and im sayin it again!
if i had the coin to drop on "ANYTHING" over 25' you would never catch me out playin' on a river! i would be spending my time runnin the coast up-n-down...back-n-fourth! every weekend!
running back-n-fourth to catalina for lunch!
lets face it!, its a much shorter tow to the so.cal. harbors, than up to"laughlin", "havazoo" or " the parker strip"!
i personally dont like the idea of a 40' fountain runnin hard through the gorge! its a bit unsafe! and i think that there should be some kind of limmit to speed in certain areas of the river, think about it...they place bouys for some shallow areas and 5mph areas! should'nt they enforce speen sensitive areas as well, like in the gorge and out in front of the sandbar? after all, that seems to me to be the areas with the most prob.s
my shameless two pennies!:D

BGMAN203
03-21-2004, 09:40 PM
I am not really even gonna get into this one.....but I feel there is a problem with the water conditions at parker. It has not been named the "Parker Ocean" by many people. The reason it gets so rough is large boats on a small body of water. If you have a big boat, run it on a big piece of water. If you have a small one, don't go to the big lakes cuase that is where the bigger boats will be. I know its eaiser said than done, but something needs to be done...like I said I really don't wanna get in to this one. I will just sit back and eat my popcorn.

DUNDUN
03-21-2004, 10:08 PM
I really don't like the big boats on the Parker strip. I think it's unecissary and dangerous, It's not even a matter of "River Lice". The river is just too skinny. I never go on havasu because it's usually too choppy and because thats where the 40 foot fountains go. I went to parker last year not knowing that magic and sleek craft boats were having a regatta that weekend. It was the scariest weekend ever. I saw too many 30+ foot boats on the river at once.

mbrown2
03-21-2004, 10:22 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if somepeople on here are saying they should not be there because they make it choppy, then they are mistaken...I spend a ton of time on our docks at Parker, and spend time repairing them every couple of years....and it is not the due to big boats that we are repairing them....it is due to water level constant fluctuations or wakeboard boats throwing big wakes and rocking the shit of them...those wakes are much more huge then a 28 or 30 v is throwing up...
What about the wakeboard boats, you going to ban them to......
Same folks that want no regulation on noise for the OT Headers, but want to ban boats on the river with faulty logic...
Also, I don't find it hard to spot Jet Skis....just have to be more cautious cause its tighter..

BGMAN203
03-21-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by mbrown2
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if somepeople on here are saying they should not be there because they make it choppy, then they are mistaken...I spend a ton of time on our docks at Parker, and spend time repairing them every couple of years....and it is not the due to big boats that we are repairing them....it is due to water level constant fluctuations or wakeboard boats throwing big wakes and rocking the shit of them...those wakes are much more huge then a 28 or 30 v is throwing up...
What about the wakeboard boats, you going to ban them to......
Same folks that want no regulation on noise for the OT Headers, but want to ban boats on the river with faulty logic...
Also, I don't find it hard to spot Jet Skis....just have to be more cautious cause its tighter..
There are plenty of boats with thru the transom exhaust making as much, if not more noise than OT pipes. Thats not the answer. I don't know what the answer is. But I am sticking to, big boats= boat on the big lakes.

mbrown2
03-22-2004, 12:12 AM
BGMAN, I don't care to ban anything to do with noise...I was only making a point, just cause it appears to be the issue...maybe its not the issue.....and you proved it with your response on thru-hulls being just as loud...the same as some small boats driven incorrectly make wakes just as big....:)

DeltaSigBoater
03-22-2004, 01:14 AM
WAKEBOARD Boat drivers need to empty their balast tanks when not towing a f****ng wakeboarder. God for bid they have to wait 3 mins. +/- for them to fully refill.

shadow
03-22-2004, 07:24 AM
Before saying this NO disrespect intended! My heart goes out to
the families of the loved ones!
Big boats dangerous?The last tragic accident (collision i rememberat Parker was at a vdrive regatta 3 deaths in two boats under 20ft.

MudPumper
03-22-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Flying Tiger
I have a electric remote wake size and shape control.
T.A.P.S.
If I'm not towing a wakeboarder, I adjust the taps so I have no wake. Perfectly flat behind me.
Several other builders offer a version of this too.
I tow at sunrise, sometime evenings, & on slow days on the river, and usually at 14mph.
Big deep V Hulls put out a far bigger wake than anything I can muster, and there's far more of them out there.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812P1010014-med.JPG
Wakeboard boats just need to know to respect boats with no or low freeboard. I can't count the number of times I've been just floating and a wakeboard boat with full ballast tanks passes within 50' of my transom. I'm in a mad dash to fire the motor and head into the wake so my boat doesn't sink.
Hey Flying Tiger, was that pic taken at Chuy's in Valencia??

hack job
03-22-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by shadow
Before saying this NO disrespect intended! My heart goes out to
the families of the loved ones!
Big boats dangerous?The last tragic accident (collision i rememberat Parker was at a vdrive regatta 3 deaths in two boats under 20ft.
yeah big boats are safer?:rolleyes: :confused:

rivercrazy
03-22-2004, 10:29 AM
I run my 25'er on the river from Laughlin down to Havasu, on Havasu, on Mohave, infrequently on Parker, and out in the salt from time to time.
I never have a visability problem seeing any type of watercraft. In fact I would argue my visability is better since the boat is a little higher on the water than a 18-21'er.
The issue here is one of tolerance for others right to boat and enjoy the river. I know if I come off plane or get on plane that my smaller boating brothers could be impacted by that. So I really do my best to not do that in close proximity to them. My boat on plane doesnt throw any larger wake than my old 21 jet boat did. Its all about sharing the waterway and respecting other peeps out there in all sorts of other sized craft.....
But I will agree 110% with the argument that the wakeboard boats throw the largest and highest cresting wakes on water. They were designed for that specific purpose. Shit those wakes scare me in my 25'er!!!!:p

DeltaSigBoater
03-22-2004, 10:44 AM
Funny thing most people I’ve seen being towed behind wakeboard boats with a well endowed wake cannot do any trick that requires a wake of that magnitude.

HighRoller
03-22-2004, 11:47 AM
I think it all comes down to judgement and ability. Anybody who thinks that a 40ft boat belongs in the gorge or on the Parker Strip is irresponsible. You cannot maneuver a boat that size fast enough to avoid all the things that happen on a small piece of crowded water. If you're on a secluded stretch of Havasu, fine. But what are the rest of us supposed to do about maneuvering around the docks, parking or sharing a tight piece of water with a guy in a 40 footer who thinks people should just "get out of his way"? Yes, there are people in smaller boats who are stupid too, but they are easy to avoid.

schiada96
03-22-2004, 11:50 AM
As aboat owner are you not responsible for damage caused by your own wake? I know if something happened to my boat by a large wake I'd have that guys ass.

shadow
03-22-2004, 11:57 AM
come on now are we really talking 40fters here? one time I saw that 44ft magic on the river,yes that just plain stupid! now back to 25ft-28ft maybe even 30ft. yes theres plenty of room and it 's all back to the skills and responsibilty of the operator.What concerns me more is a 2,000.00 boat with 5 dudes beer bongs and show your tits signs,drunk and not paying attention.then throw some rental lice in the mix to top it off.

TRG
03-22-2004, 07:33 PM
ok...i was only going to post the first one but i cant refuse,...i know that there are plenty of you who were boating back in the late 70's- to the mid 80's, right?? now if you are telling me that the water at havasu or the water at parker was the same as it gets now!...im going to just scream!:mad: j/k i(i wont scream)
the type of boats that were around between those years were 24' (camble- sleekcraft-SKV , to name a few) and smaller! correct?
now on any given weekend you WILL find the 40' boats in havasu or maybe not as much in parker, but they do freq. there also! that is plain as day the reason why the water is so chewed up!
if you think im wrong,...then there is a pretty good chance you were not there between the years of 70' and mid 80's!
the reason for those dates...the most influential years of my life!
MY good ol' days! :)
one more note to be taken! if you talk to any of the fiberglass tech.s that you may use,...he will tell you that the majority of the rep.s of the smaller boats are getting much bigger nowadays, simply because of the water cond. and the older models were not designed to run in those conditions.
not trying to do any ruffling!
just layin it down as i see it!
todd
also...have a wonderful evening!

rivercrazy
03-22-2004, 08:46 PM
I was boating in all those locales back in day. To me the water is rougher for a few reasons not attributable to just one.
*More boats
*More boats
*Thousands more PWC's
*Less skillfull drivers
*Easier financing
*Wakeboard boats and wakeboarding (how many boats did you see in the 70's running at 14 mph off plane, nose skyward, with 400-500 pounds in the stern, dragging a stern digger.....
*And bigger boats
Probably in that order......

77charger
03-22-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
I was boating in all those locales back in day. To me the water is rougher for a few reasons not attributable to just one.
*More boats
*More boats
*Thousands more PWC's
*Less skillfull drivers
*Easier financing
*Wakeboard boats and wakeboarding (how many boats did you see in the 70's running at 14 mph off plane, nose skyward, with 400-500 pounds in the stern, dragging a stern digger.....
*And bigger boats
Probably in that order...... Or other lakes like mead and powell as well as others practilly being drained that more people are going to havasu where the water is more constant.Now just think when the upper lakes dont have any more water to supply?

rivercrazy
03-22-2004, 09:13 PM
Good point

pleasantcat
03-22-2004, 09:29 PM
good topic. i for one wont go to parker out of respect for the nozzel boys. when i had my jet i ran up the river all the time and cursed at the prop boys. when i stepped up i found that ( looking at the way i felt before ) it would be hypocritical of me to run the river with my cat. and even a bigger issue is safety. i cant run my cat at speed on parker with the traffic so why go. havazoo is pretty wide open and safer for my type of boat. just my .02

TRG
03-22-2004, 09:56 PM
good point as well, but in the earlier days the boating boom was strong as it is today! then the little guys all went belly up!
im not going to sit here at try to say that there was the same amt. of heads out boating then as there is now but, i personally think that its mainly the size that contributes to the majority of the madness,..as well as the other reasons as you have stated above,...good reasons i might add also!
see, we "CAN" have a debate without all of the name calling!
please dont take what im saying as negative comments to the river lifestyle, but i think that there should be some kind of reg. as to the size of the "off shore" vessel that the consumer wants to run on such a small body of water!
IMO, if they can regulate the size that runs through the bridge (havasu) they should not have a problem saying that you cannot put that 30'+ rig in at parker and anywere down river from there! but then again...im not the one making the laws!
todd

cigarette1
03-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Maybe you need to find a smaller lake :D

shadow
03-23-2004, 05:50 AM
Simply because of water conditons?This is why boats are getting bigger. I beg to differ! how about, Family comfort nowadays you can take your whole family out at once and you don't have to leave half the family sitting on the beach waiting their turn for a boat ride. and lets not forget new and improved hull designs built for both speed and handling. don't get me wrong I respect every ones right to boat in whatever style they choose.I own a mobile at parker and don't plan on not using my boat there any time soon and don't expect anyone else to either.so I hope we can all boat there together and I promise not to run over any fellow boaters in smaller boats.

HavasuDreamin'
03-23-2004, 08:15 AM
Money is the root of all evil. ;) I blame the financing of today. Now a days, you can get financing for 20 years on a boat! What a joke. Your going to have to replace those motors long before that thing is paid off.
Financing is why everyone and their brother have 30'ers that cost $100K...........because it is the same payment that a 24'er was 10 years ago when all you could get was 6-8 years financing. And the mfg.s have taken notice. Why are boats sof f'n ridiculously priced? Because people can afford the "payment." You know the old saying......a dollar down and a dollar a month for the rest of your life. :rolleyes:
In our society, bigger is better (I see some responses on this). ;) I need to super size my meal, I need a 64oz coke even though I am only going to drink 20oz., I need an Excursion to haul my family of four with, I need a 38'er for Parker, etc. Until our society gets away from this mentality (won't happen), it won't stop.
I also blame the finance companies for the lake lice problem. That is truly a situation of a dollar down and a dollar a month type financing. Hell that is what they advertise, and all the bozo's who don't know didly squat about boating go out and buy one, or two and then end up at the river jumping wakes 2' off your transom.
Lot's of issues, few solutions. :frown:

rivercrazy
03-23-2004, 09:00 AM
IMHO the last thing we need is more government regulation or laws passed.
What we need is to help educate our boating brothers on proper driving technique and respect for others.
As soon as laws and regulations get passed it impeeds the freedom of all and eventually will lead to closure of the river!

riverbound
03-23-2004, 10:03 AM
There is no correct answer to solve this problem. Except common sense. I personally own a ski natique with 1000 lbs of ballast I only run the tanks full when I am towing a wakeboarder and I spend the 3 minutes to dump and fill the tanks when I am not towing I also try not to disturb other boaters with my monster wake by doing my riding in less crowded areas of the river. I also have a 18 foot spectra. Neither of these boats will ever go to havasu because it is not the right place for this type of boat, Even though I have the same right to the lake as the big boats common sense tells me not to put my boat there. Big boat=big water little boat=little water. I do have alot of friends with big boats 29ft to 42ft. none of these guys run their boats on parker, if they want to go to parker they ride in my boats.
I am also looking at $40000 in dock and sea wall repairs because of the water conditions on the river. Something needs to be done either we can do it ourselves or the govt. can step in and do it for us, it is our decision as a boating community.

BADBLOWN572
03-23-2004, 10:15 AM
My decision has been made. See you in Parker

shadow
03-23-2004, 11:53 AM
This is getting ****ing halarious! Now it's the banks fault for the water in Parker?My down payment could have bought 50% of the boats on the river,Hard work day in and day out finances my boat.
oh yeah and the excursion that tows it.I will agree any jackass can go finance a jet ski.
big river? lost lake? blythe? martinez? do any of these ring a bell?
see you in Parker bad blown!

HavasuDreamin'
03-23-2004, 01:53 PM
I will agree any jackass can go finance a jet ski.
And any jackass now a days can go finance a boat. A big one at that if they have a decent job. Not the banks fault persay, but they make $150K 30'ers avaialbe to a lot more people now than 15-20 years ago. The banks are out to make a buck, but it doesn't make sense to finance a boat over 20 years when your average blower motor lasts 5-7.
Good Luck in the Parker Ocean. ;)

shadow
03-23-2004, 02:11 PM
most jackasses don't have 25-30 grand sitting around.
one other thing,Now I don't want to sit and get into a pissing match with you anyway cause we would probablly get along just fine .But with a name like Havasu dreaming and arguing over parker water conditions and saftey?Will we meet in parker or Havasu?

BADBLOWN572
03-23-2004, 03:27 PM
I do believe that the financing has gotten easier, but in the past boating was more of a "good old boy" sport where everyone knew everyone and everyone helped out. Nowdays boating has become popular and has graduated from the "good old boy" status to the "trendy and popular" status. Financing plays a part, but it is just like other things. Everyone wants to be bigger and better than the next guy.
As for Parker, I have been raised on Parker my whole life and will continue to go to there. Is it the place for a 40' deep V, no! I will give you that, but I see no valid point for even a 30' boat to stay off of Parker. If you know what you are doing you will be fine. It is the idiots (in any size boats) that screw it up for the rest!
Shadow, look for me at least twice a month starting in a couple of weeks. :D River season is here!

Goodtime$
03-23-2004, 03:35 PM
I started this thread just to bring up conversation on what people think about how boating, the river etc are going.
I used to ski at Mike Macks, i have always had a place below Lost Lake and love both parts of the river.
Point 1. Yes boating is trendy, i believe so until interest rates and inflation creep its way up. Dont get me started on gas prices.
Point 2. yes, wakeboard wakes are big, so are the wakes off a fountain. I like watching flatt bottoms race, tunnel hull lake boats and wakeboard boats all the same. Big Vs? I used to watch Miami Vice.
Point 3. WE ALL LOVE THE RIVER, yes Parker gets crowed, yah Blythe has its share of lake lice too. But we all love any part we boat on. As long as we take care of what we love, we can all enjoy it.
Point 4. Lake lice, river roaches etc. They all get in the way, a petition would be a great place to start, or we all go buy jet boats and take it back to the old days of running them down and knocking them off.
Badblown and everyone. thanks for the comments and keep them coming. If the water was up in Hidden Valley, i would be shoppin a tunnel, but I dont think i can float that boat out of my channel. Have Fun everyone....

77charger
03-23-2004, 04:35 PM
most jackasses don't have 25-30 grand sitting around.
one other thing,Now I don't want to sit and get into a pissing match with you anyway cause we would probablly get along just fine .But with a name like Havasu dreaming and arguing over parker water conditions and saftey?Will we meet in parker or Havasu? I must be a jack ass to you then cause i dont have 30k sittin around or a 30 ft boat.But really i dont care for the 20 yr financing i took the 10 yr plan last year and bought my 21 ft eliminator to use with my wife and son it only goes 60 at best but it suits me fine and i paid it off already.
If i want to go fast i'll grab the other boat which will hit 118mph 9.18 seconds to be exact or by the time 90%of big boats hit plane:D
The chop at havasu aint a prob for me i just kick it down to 30 mph and take all day its just the launch ramp situations which kill it.I hate to see ocean sized boats in the lake but on the other hand i dont like federal regulation saying you shouldnt be able to use a big boat on a lake its your choice!Theres always the lower river which IMO is funner than havasu on a holiday weekend

shadow
03-23-2004, 05:01 PM
77 charger maybe you mis interped that.I have great respect for someone who goes out and gets the boat that serves the purpose for their famlies particular needs.havasu dreamin seems to think the banks will just loan anyone 100g's for the boat of their choice.I beg to differ and stated earlier that any jackass can go finance a jetski.I'm also with you on the 10 year plan don't know why he thinks everyone is on the 20 year plan.

LOWRIVER2
03-23-2004, 07:07 PM
For the record,
I boat the river just south of the strip, after being the 69th truck in line at the AVI on a holiday weekend 8 years back, I went south, I love it. I can still ski on a holiday weekend at glass alley at 3pm, that's pretty much un heard of anywhere else.
As for financing, a neighbor had a conversation with one of the major west coast builders (old friends) a couple years back. The owner was asked about the big boat thing. He said the cost to make the 27-30 foot models was'nt much more than the 21-24's but the profit margin was great. He did mention several young guys buying on 20 year loans, then getting them repoed. The sweet thing for the owner was he bought them back at a low price and turned them around again. I've seen several newer used boats at his lot to believe it.
So it may not be "common place" , but it also happens more than we might think. Shit, I know I've seen my share of sub 25 yr. olds gassing up at Parker Oil and wondered where they got the cash to buy the big boats and I've asked them. Some paid cash, many others financed. I don't really care, none of them can launch on my water anyways/lol.

BGMAN203
03-23-2004, 08:00 PM
I feel the need to imput my $.02 again. First of all I can't belive this hasn't turned into a name calling shit flinging thread yet. Lets keep it that way.
Now alot of blame for the rough water is going to the wakeboard boats. Fine, I will agree with that. But, you guys with 24+ v bottoms and cats throw a mean ass wake too. Unless your doing like 80+mph, which you shouldn't be doing when its crowded anyways. If you don't belive me, come for a ride with me, we will go follow one. I am still not convinced that the "big boats" are not the problem. They are not all to blame, but they are a big contributer.
I will save my dock,sea wall and erosion frustration to a later date!!
Again, good thread, keep it interesting
Brian

BADBLOWN572
03-23-2004, 08:16 PM
Guaranteed, my boat will throw less of a wake (on plane) than a 20' V drive cruiser. Cats don't throw much of a wake at all. Been behind them before in a flatty and not that big of a deal.
I don't see what the big argument is anymore about bigger boats on the river.
1) they will continue to be there
2) there is nothing you can do about it
3) accept it or leave
4) the day of the 20' cruiser being the biggest/best on the h20 is over.
These are just simple facts. It is the way that things are going and is pointless to get pissy and blame all the problems on boats that certain people don't like.

mbrown2
03-23-2004, 08:22 PM
My 26' Cat does not make much of a wake floating from the dam to house...just ask JRocket:D

TRG
03-23-2004, 08:36 PM
ok!...lets make this interesting! shal we?
ive got $200 bucks as a gentlemans wager,...that says....ANY 20' v-drive will throw a much smaller wake than your carerra cat (carerra??) nice boat by the way! just above plane as well as at speed!
200 bucks is alot for me to put out there on a wager,...but its to make my point! and im sure we can turn it into one hell of a good reason to go boating!!:D :D lmao
todd
P.S. no disrespect intended to BB572

RiverToysJas
03-23-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by toddnjuzz
ive got $200 bucks as a gentlemans wager,...that says....ANY 20' v-drive will throw a much smaller wake than your carerra cat (carerra??) nice boat by the way! just above plane as well as at speed!
200 bucks is alot for me to put out there on a wager,...but its to make my point! and im sure we can turn it into one hell of a good reason to go boating!!:D :D lmao
todd
That's an easy $200 for you. Where's Jordy with his V-Drive? This will be a no brainer!!!

TRG
03-23-2004, 08:42 PM
:D

BGMAN203
03-23-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by toddnjuzz
todd
Thats my point exactly. Unless you have a trick, no wake throwing cat, it will be bigger than a v-drive.

HavasuDreamin'
03-24-2004, 06:03 AM
havasu dreamin seems to think the banks will just loan anyone 100g's for the boat of their choice. I'm also with you on the 10 year plan don't know why he thinks everyone is on the 20 year plan.
Not true. Never once did I single you out. My point is that there are a lot more 30' + boats out there because a lot more people can afford it............and the banks aid greatly in people being able to afford these rigs. If you think there would be just as many $150K rigs out there with a max of 10 year financing, then you are greatly mistaken.
I am fine with people buying bigger. Makes no difference to me......as I will bring my 19' tunnel out during the week. Fact of the matter is.........the water is much more stirred up today than it was 10-15-20 years ago. Why? Because people have larger boats, and there are a lot more of them. Period!
Good for you financing your boat over 10 years. You were wise enough to realize that a boat in general is a depreciating asset and the sooner you can get it paid off, the better off you will be. By the way.........you will find me in Havasu mostly, but I will also frequent Parker, and the Needles/Topock area. :)

jody165
06-23-2004, 05:54 PM
Got a 38 ft V-bottom AND a wakeboard boat with all the ballast tanks and such. I would swear that the wakeboard boat leaves a a much larger wake. Especially since I am usually running the 38 footer reasonable fast so the wake isn't that bad.
There has got to be a million wakeboard boats at Parker these days. Setting a max length limit will NOT remove the wakeboard boats. The flatbottom days are over (had one, miss it) on summer weekends. Has been over for awhile.
Face it, there is no way to control the wakes at Parker. Do what I did, get married, get a large mortgage, have a couple kids and then start going to Mead... ;) :D

77charger
06-23-2004, 06:01 PM
been out a few times this year already and have to say if a big cat is movin good there aint much wake at all.But a big v still leaves a wake but i just slow down since i aint in no hurry anymore

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Make sure you guys read the thread in bench racers. All of this has been said and done. It is not the boat its the drivers. BTW I saw 2 jet boats squirting eachother in the no wake zone at moabi last Sat. That was stupid! So read the thread then come back.

TRG
06-23-2004, 06:13 PM
big river and south for me from now on!
not to stirr any shit!... but it also seems that there are a whole lot more boaters that are in it for the family aspects of boating down there also!
"GOD BLESSED" the lower river!!!!!!

Tyson Ross
06-24-2004, 02:04 AM
Damn flatbottoms make to big of a wakes for my canoe!!! I want them banned! I owned a Sanger and sold it so I could have a boat that holds more people and can handle this day in age conditions. You don't see Model T's or VW bugs on the interstate anymore. Times change and boats have grown and are made to handle rougher water at higher speeds while holding more people. It's great that the flattys are still around. Unfortunately, you drive them now at your own, higher risk on weekends or summer weekdays as it is rougher then years past. I thoroughly enjoy seeing flatbottoms haulin tail up river. I equally enjoy seeing a 26 ft DCB with twin screws haulin tail as well. Drive at safe speeds for conditions and know the rules and eveyone should be able to enjoy. If someone wants to make a 3 pt turn, let them.

superdave013
06-24-2004, 04:45 AM
CA'MON Tyson,
I agree with every thing you said about the new age la de da.
I too sold my flat. But I loved it so much that I could not go farther away then a v drive schiada cruiser.
But to compare a bad ass flatbottom pass to ANY thing else is just well....... CA'MON, nothing is more bad ass then a bad ass flatbottom pass at the Parker Strip. Well, a blown alki hydro is up there too. :)
Not hating the cats, I enjoy watching them thunder by also.