PDA

View Full Version : I'm cooler then you

superdave013
09-08-2003, 02:14 PM
Well I might not be but I hope my intake charge will be pretty cool. :)
I scored a couple of cores last weekend. Now I have to make the housing. fun fun now baby.
Anyway in this pic they are just sitting on top of the intake so I can eye ball things and come up with a good configuration.
So with that said maybe some of you armchair experts can hop in with your thougts on how I should do it.
Options I've come up with so far:
1. Stack them on top of each other.
This would be the easiest. A few have told me that's not the best way to do it and I agree to a point. On the industrail heat exchangers we make at work we change the height for different heat transfers. It also changes the pressure drops too but I'm not worried about that with the wastegates controled after the coolers.
2. Stand them on end and have each turbo blow through it's own cooler. I think this would cool very well. But the intake plenum would get get really big. Also I was told that fuel could puddle up. I don't know about that one but I guess it could happen.
3. Put them on an angle. Each turbo would still blow through it's own core. The plenum would be smaller but still pretty big.
4. Mount them side by side. I'm sure that would work well to cool the charge as the intake veloicty would slow down way more then the stacked idea. The housing would be so wide that it would barely fit between the turbos. Also I would have to make a transition to the intake. That would make the plenum really big again.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/9intercooler_cores1-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/9intercooler_cores-med.jpg

Hustler
09-08-2003, 02:24 PM
Hey Dave stupid question here but, Why do you need two?

superdave013
09-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Ok, now that I'm going I have a few other things for ya.
I was told that the intake or top (where everything comes toether above the coolers) needs to be a specific shape. Also that the tail pipes should expand at a specific angle.
Now I can see that the top needs to be desigined to get good air flow distribution. And I guess there is some merit about the tail pipes too.
I've seen some high end turbo set ups with that style of tail pipes.
I'll do my best to come up with something for the top that has smooth transitions and nice radius for corners and the like. But.......just how critical is all of this? I mean when I scoped out the GN30 boat a few years ago I took some pics. From what I'm told about all of this stuff it looks like the Hobans were breaking all the rules. Straight tail pipes, Intake top looks like a rude square box with 2 tubes stabbed into the sides. And not even stabbed into the center. Intercoolers are stacked also.
Now it's hard to say it didn't work well because that boat kicked major ass and was high points champ a few years in a row (if I'm thinking right).
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/9Dsc00076-med.jpg

superdave013
09-08-2003, 02:41 PM
Hustler:
Hey Dave stupid question here but, Why do you need two? Prolly don't but I have them so I'm using them.
Pretty much I'm trying to build this boat to run hard for a long distance. This is no 1/4 mile queen. Turbo's make a shit load of heat and the cooler the intake charge the better.

flat broke
09-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Dave,
I think the reason you're getting the info you have is because you're setting up a wet draw through system instead of a blow through deal with the Hoban's boat. My guess would be when you start making a lot of abrupt curves increase the chances of of the fuel falling out of suspension and puddling. In your setup I belive the entry into the plenum needs to be equidistant for both sides of the motor to keep the boost levels equalized.
On the 030 boat, only air is accumlated in the uppper plenum above the injection setup and cooler cores so that gives everything a chance to equalize from a pressure standpoint before fuel is atomized into the mix.
I sat looking at your setup for longer than I should have at work :) , and you've got me stumped. (not that I know anything) If you mount the cores long wise on their side (one core per turbo)the point where the ducting hits the core will see the most resistance as it is directly fed while the rest of the surface area of the core will be fed off of the residual boost (which I realize sooner or later should equalize accross the entire plenum). My guess is that you would want the cores down low on the t-ram with a wide open plenum above to let the boost from each side equalize before it is driven down through the cores.
One thing I'm curious about and this is basically a "for my education question", why the choice of the T-Ram. In a heavily pressurized system like you will have, is there a need to try and accelerate the charge velocity further? Will it see additional benefits? The reason I ask is I would think that you could use a something like the whipple manifold as a base upon which you could fab a cooler using the cores you have. This would allow you to build a large airbox/plenum above the cores, but the height would be pretty much even with the tops of your turbines. This would allow a pretty straight shot into the plenum, keep things simple, etc. But I don't know the physics behind using the T-ram so there is probably a damn good reason you're not doing that.
Either way, for maximum cooling, I would think that you will want to maximize the cooler surface area to housing ratio to force as much of the charge through rather than around the cores.
I'm done rambling. Let me know if you're gonna be around Wed or Thurs night and I'll grab Hacker and swing by. Maybe we could head on over to Denny's and get one of those hickory burgers I hear you're fond of :D
BTW, October is right around the corner, and you know what that means!!!
Chris

ColeTR1
09-08-2003, 03:35 PM
I have seen this configuration in air-conditioning It works good because the air has to change Direction at a 45-degree angle. For some reason that cools the air better. I think because air is forced into the fins on the cooler. Just think if you put a third on the bottom pre cool with the first two and super cool with the third???
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/503/738cooler-med.jpg
[ September 08, 2003, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: ColeTR1 ]

Infomaniac
09-08-2003, 03:50 PM
SHIT !!! I was going to say make a "V" out of them.

flat broke
09-08-2003, 04:07 PM
Seems like a damn good idea to me Cole. I think its pretty easy to see why that design works better than blowing "through" the core. By blowing against it, the air spends more time in contact with the surface area of the exchanger. I would assume this would increase the pressure drop, but I'm willing to be that won't be an issue in Daves system.
Chris

superdave013
09-08-2003, 04:18 PM
You know, right after I posted this I thought to myself.......There is a guy who's sitting a few offices away that his main gig is designing heat exchangers. This guy can calculate the heat transfers and pressure drops right on the money. I've seen him do it time and time again. I mean him hitting a pressure drop within .5 inches of water column is pretty standard around here.
So I e mailed him the same pics you see and went over to talk to him.
He likes the stacked idea. His thinking was the opposite of mine on the velocity thing. He wants to keep the velocity up as the will cause turbulence in the exchanger. That he says will help it see more surface area (and he spewed some other mumbo jumbo that I didn't catch good enough to relay here.) He pulled out a bunch of case studies on just about every configuration you can think of. He had studies on pretty much just what I was asking but on larger scales. Now he did say that it will be a higher pressure drop but like I said. I can live with that.
Then he started going on about what direction to flow the water. Pretty much just like you would think. Pump cold water into each cooler and not loop them together would be best. But if I had to connect them together cross flow would be the next best.
I respect his engineering talents as my livelihood depends on it. But I still want to hear from everyone else too so don't be shy now. :)
So at this point they will be stacked.

flat broke
09-08-2003, 04:43 PM
So the TR is in and the cores are stacked... next question, do we keep a larger or smaller volume of air above the cores? I would assume that he can probably determine the appropriate volume of space needed above the cooler to accentuate the turbulence he is seeking to create by increasing the distance between the cores and cylinders. Once you have that volume, I would assume you go with some sort of a symetrical shape/design that satiates his specified volume requirement. The only question then would be how to introduce the charge into the upper plenunm to minimize the occurence of fuel dropping out of suspension.
I'll be looking foward to reading the updates in the morning.
Chris

Snowboat
09-08-2003, 04:51 PM
I think ColeTR1's suggestion is the best. Caterpillar has a new radiator out (last ten years or so)that places modular cores at ninety degrees to each other. They did that for increased cooling, and the ability to remove just one core, when needed. With your turbos, don't you have the capability to create more boost than you'll ever need? Slow the air down and cool it more going around a corner.

superdave013
09-08-2003, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna run TR1's idea by the wiz bang guy at work. We'll see. Stacked sure would be easist to make the housing and top for.

Unchained
09-09-2003, 04:48 AM
I really enjoy the creativity of the fabricating part of a project.
I like the idea of mounting the cores stacked, that way if fuel settling out becomes a problem then you could remove one of them and not have to alter your whole core cover.
Fuel settling out can be a problem in a draw through setup.
I had it with my buggy engine. While idling around the fuel would want to puddle in the bottom of the compressor housing and when you got in the throttle it would have to draw through a big slug of fuel.
It would be best to not have any uphill runs in your piping from the compressors to the intercoolers. If you can't get it you may need to switch to a blower manifold to drop the height of the cores.
How much boost are you planning on running?
You probably should install a popoff valve.
I made my own (of course) and it was real easy.
What is the significance of the pressure drops?
The turbo's will make way more boost than you can use. If the intercoolers drop the boost by a few lbs what difference does it make?
Also I think you have those turbo's on backwards (jk)
Mark
[ September 09, 2003, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: Unchained ]

Terrible Buddhist
09-09-2003, 05:27 AM
my question is where did you get those headers!

MAXIMUS
09-09-2003, 06:05 AM
Very cool looking set up!!! :)

SK48
09-09-2003, 07:56 PM
Dave, I don't know the theory but on the GN30 boat when the second cooler was stacked on I believe Mike said it picked up 600 r.p.m. on top end without any other changes. If you have both cores you might as well run them.

Blown 472
09-10-2003, 05:21 AM
Are you running fuel injection?? wont the fuel stack up on the coolers if carbs are used?? :confused:

UBFJ #454
09-10-2003, 06:02 AM
A comment ... something you might think about.
My experience is that the internal casting ridges in the Edlebrock Tunnel Ram provide areas for the fuel mix to "Pool" causing surges in fuel delivery to the cylinders. The way I eliminate this problem is to eliminate the ridges entirely by filling them in then grinding the interior to where the planes between ports are smooth ... esentially blueprinting the manifold. I also match grind the intake runners to the particular heads I am using. It takes quite awhile to get all this done as I do everything by hand, but, it has proven to be a worthwhile effort.
Just a suggestion.

Itsahobby
09-11-2003, 07:42 AM
I need one of these for my boat eek!
Hobby
superdave013:
Well I might not be but I hope my intake charge will be pretty cool. :)
I scored a couple of cores last weekend. Now I have to make the housing. fun fun now baby.
Anyway in this pic they are just sitting on top of the intake so I can eye ball things and come up with a good configuration.
So with that said maybe some of you armchair experts can hop in with your thougts on how I should do it.
Options I've come up with so far:
1. Stack them on top of each other.
This would be the easiest. A few have told me that's not the best way to do it and I agree to a point. On the industrail heat exchangers we make at work we change the height for different heat transfers. It also changes the pressure drops too but I'm not worried about that with the wastegates controled after the coolers.
2. Stand them on end and have each turbo blow through it's own cooler. I think this would cool very well. But the intake plenum would get get really big. Also I was told that fuel could puddle up. I don't know about that one but I guess it could happen.
3. Put them on an angle. Each turbo would still blow through it's own core. The plenum would be smaller but still pretty big.
4. Mount them side by side. I'm sure that would work well to cool the charge as the intake veloicty would slow down way more then the stacked idea. The housing would be so wide that it would barely fit between the turbos. Also I would have to make a transition to the intake. That would make the plenum really big again.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/9intercooler_cores1-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/9intercooler_cores-med.jpg

J540
09-11-2003, 04:15 PM
Dave when i sold you the coolers remember i said not to stack them.first of all it will b 2 high ever think of your blower belt size you have seen mine, and irun an 1800 8mm try to find a belt bigger, some 1 said catapiller has them at 90 deg, thats cuz it takes les room going like \/\/ than ---- and you hav more surface area and not b as wide and they can run more HP motor and get better cooling. I use 2 b an equipment oper, at work, any way hav 2 take the kids 2 soccer i will talk when i get back, but your best cooling is put them in a /\ shape sealed . JOHN

superdave013
09-11-2003, 08:40 PM
John, Yes I do remember you saying that. I'm just looking at the hard data from were I work on heat exchanger configurations.
I have not made any housings yet as I'm still kicking around ideas at this point.
I am considering everyone's input so if someone has a wizzy idea speak up now.
I don't think the blower belt length will be much of a problem. :)

J540
09-11-2003, 08:44 PM
Haven't you ever seen a turbo with a blower belt, what am I new to this or what idea jawdrop to much tequilllasdsdfs shots

superdave013
09-11-2003, 08:53 PM
J540, I am waiting to see this avatar you have.

J540
09-11-2003, 09:32 PM
trying to do it now-test test test

ColeTR1
09-12-2003, 09:04 AM
J540 try this one a little smaller. Nice motor :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/502/738J540.jpg
Link

ACCEPTENCE
09-12-2003, 09:14 AM
Here's a thought:
Dave,
TR1 hit the nail on the head. Side by side at a angle. Much harder to make the housing but worth the effort. Efficiency, efficiency, efficiency and complete core surface area utilization. I called JPL and NASA and they said this is the best set up for a twin turbo dealio. We chated for a while and then they hung up on my cuz they were tired of having to spell out those big words I didn't understand. :rolleyes:
That's my wizzy idea!!! :D
On and this too...Make sure your turbos don't rest on the upholstry like that J540's boat does, the upholstry stinks when it melts!!!! Also, don't mount the trubos with a forklift cuz...if the ground is wet the forklift might get away and punch holes throgh the side of the boat eek! .
J540-<<<<<<"King A Da Monkeys"

superdave013
09-12-2003, 09:48 AM
ACCEPTENCE:
Here's a thought:
Dave,
TR1 hit the nail on the head. Side by side at a angle. Much harder to make the housing but worth the effort. Efficiency, efficiency, efficiency and complete core surface area utilization. I called JPL and NASA and they said this is the best set up for a twin turbo dealio. We chated for a while and then they hung up on my cuz they were tired of having to spell out those big words I didn't understand. :rolleyes:
That's my wizzy idea!!! :D
On and this too...Make sure your turbos don't rest on the upholstry like that J540's boat does, the upholstry stinks when it melts!!!! Also, don't mount the trubos with a forklift cuz...if the ground is wet the forklift might get away and punch holes throgh the side of the boat eek! .
J540-<<<<<<"King A Da Monkeys" My concern about doing it that way is that it makes the plenum area under the coolers really big.
I need to find out what's better. The cooler air or the smaller plenum area. There is a trade off here and I need to find out what's best.
I'm going to make the housing myself so it won't cost that much. More time then money per say. So that's one thing I can always change if it's not working out.
ACCEPTENCE, I was going to drop my shit in with an overhead crain but I do have a 12 ton forklift. I could put a hella hole in da boat with that sucka.
Oh, why do you spell your screen name ACCEPTENCE instead of ACCEPTANCE?
[ September 12, 2003, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

superdave013
09-12-2003, 09:50 AM
J540:
trying to do it now-test test test I was hoping to see something a little more pasty. :)

J540
09-12-2003, 10:30 AM
ColeTR1:
Link
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/502/738J540.jpg how do you get it smaller, my neighbor did it 4 me last night @ 10:30 acceptance; would'nt pick phone last night to help me cuz he try,n to get his trailer finished 4 his salvage boat, so when i JUNK MY shit up this weekend he can retrieve it wink i did try to get it smaller,just cant fig, it out

schiada96
09-12-2003, 10:31 AM
Dave you want a formed piece of alum for the dog house? Kind of like a roof top with big radius at the top? 3/16 or 1/4 thick.
Put a divider in the middle so the turbos don't fight each outher.
[ September 12, 2003, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: schiada96 ]

J540
09-12-2003, 10:31 AM
superdave013:
J540:
trying to do it now-test test test I was hoping to see something a little more pasty. :) i will put it on i need your help call me

J540
09-12-2003, 10:42 AM
ACCEPTENCE:
Here's a thought:
Dave, On and this too...Make sure your turbos don't rest on the upholstry like that J540's boat does, the upholstry stinks when it melts!!!! Also, don't mount the trubos with a forklift cuz...if the ground is wet the forklift might get away and punch holes throgh the side of the boat eek! .
J540-<<<<<<"King A Da Monkeys" I DONT smell it,OH thats right you r always behind ME ,JACK A-- wink it hits blower donkey, does'nt melt on it, once i have all the interior redone prob, solved, YOU monkey :D OFF MY LEG DOG
[ September 12, 2003, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: J540 ]

ColeTR1
09-12-2003, 11:01 AM
J540:
ColeTR1:
Link
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/502/738J540.jpg how do you get it smaller, my neighbor did it 4 me last night @ 10:30 acceptance; would'nt pick phone last night to help me cuz he try,n to get his trailer finished 4 his salvage boat, so when i JUNK MY shit up this weekend he can retrieve it wink i did try to get it smaller,just cant fig, it out Go to top rigth ( my profile) Click
top left >>View / update profile << Click
Select a different Avarar Click
Bottom USE Custom URL
Type in http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/502/738J540.jpg

J540
09-12-2003, 11:24 AM
did'nt work i think i f,ed it up
[ September 12, 2003, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: J540 ]

J540
09-12-2003, 11:38 AM
think i got it. :D :D Thanks cole TR1 .MINE is a cole 20' v drive cruiser
[ September 12, 2003, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: J540 ]

J540
09-12-2003, 12:10 PM
QUOTE]I was hoping to see something a little more pasty. :) [/QB][/QUOTE]
DAVE i put it in avitars i dont know how to get it here let me know, i have i lot of sandbar pic's :D

79 HUSTLER
09-12-2003, 12:24 PM
j540 you jackass argue Are we going to the river tonight or what biatch

J540
09-12-2003, 12:28 PM
79 HUSTLER:
j540 you jackass argue Are we going to the river tonight or what biatch yep got this 29' cat hooked up rt, now. hey look it avitars BIATCH

ColeTR1
09-12-2003, 12:35 PM
I would dump the charge front and back with a divider about 25% down.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/738inter.jpg
J540 Looks Great!! Good Job!! :) :) :)

superdave013
09-12-2003, 12:50 PM
ColeTR1:
I would dump the charge front and back with a divider about 25% down.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/738inter.jpg
J540 Looks Great!! Good Job!! :) :) :) Let's see how you would set it on the manifold. From what I'm seeing the divider plate will cover the intake ports. Also looks like a huge area under the coolers to me.

schiada96
09-12-2003, 12:57 PM
Stack them just like your pic and build a dog house. Blow in from the roof with a divider so they dont fight one another. Just form a shallow roof top.

superdave013
09-12-2003, 01:08 PM
schiada96:
Stack them just like your pic and build a dog house. Blow in from the roof with a divider so they dont fight one another. Just form a shallow roof top. Right now I'll going with a top kinda like this Gentry deal. But mine will fabricated. Although I do have a hook up on a rapid prototype set up that can make anything I want in a casting. I might go that route too.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/924_schiada_rudys2-med.jpg

J540
09-12-2003, 01:25 PM
Stack'n them is not it, you r try'n 2 put 2 much air in a small area. yes u can jack the boost up and create more psi, above the coolers, which creates more heat that you need 2 cool down, again fighting your self. one per side killer flow max HP.keep try'n different ideas on paper,that is a good thing nothing but knowledge can come from it. but i think you need to off that manifold i have billet runners 4 that billet manifold my friend and i r make'n i think u need to see them . can show u pics or come over and try 2 fig, it out. just one more stick in the fire.

J540
09-12-2003, 01:30 PM
DAVE that pic, looks good. those runners i hav would also lower every thing a bit which mabe fit better. and easier 2 fab.
[ September 12, 2003, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: J540 ]

superdave013
09-12-2003, 02:19 PM
J540:
DAVE that pic, looks good. those runners i hav would also lower every thing a bit which mabe fit better. and easier 2 fab. The cooler in that pic is 1/4" taller then what 2 stacked ones would be.
Anyway, what ever I do will get tested for pressure drops and heat exchanger efficiency.
I have a huge PD blower that I used to test my superchiller. I also some big fans laying around. I'll most likey use the PD pump as it's a roots style deal and can make some big pressure.
I will put thermocouples all over the housings to take temp readings. I'll also put some ports in the inlet duct for a peto tube so I can get good air flow measurements.
Here's a few heat exchangers that we are working on right now. They are in about the middle of the size range for us. We get 95% efficiency and only 13" of water collum of pressure drop including some valves and duct that's not shown.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/950RTO-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/9275RTO-med.jpg
I like to run my own tests and not rely on what someone told someone else.

ColeTR1
09-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Dave you don’t have to have them at a 45 they could be less to keep the height down. Under I would make as small as possible what ever it takes to get it smooth going into the tunnel ram.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/738inter2-med.jpg

J540
09-12-2003, 06:40 PM
Cole TR1 why is the air coming in at front or back which ever it is. why not blow in at the side right into the coolers.would the air going through the coolers lf, rt, hit each other causing a prob,or mabe not.

eliminatya
09-13-2003, 04:50 PM
guys that core sure looks like my Lee core. was hoping someone could tell me what size inlet and exhaust lines i should run to the lee cooler. also does it matter which end the water enters and exits.

superdave013
09-14-2003, 07:11 AM
eliminatya:
guys that core sure looks like my Lee core. was hoping someone could tell me what size inlet and exhaust lines i should run to the lee cooler. also does it matter which end the water enters and exits. They are pretty close to your Lee core. They are a little wider and the tanks are a little different. These have AN threads and the Lee cores have NPT threads.
Anyway I've seen them plumbed all different ways but on these the inlet is the end with the single fitting. It's a -12AN. J540 was thinking when he made the outlet tanks. He put a -10 fitting on each side and 2 in the end. That way you can plumb it a bunch of different ways and should be able to clear just about any thing. I would use two -10 lines comming out of these cores. That way there is no way you will over pressurize it. I don't think that will happen anyway as he an tested his to around 300psi.

superdave013
09-15-2003, 01:08 PM
Ok, I've had the weekend to think about things. I took everyones input and my own thoughts. I took the data that J540 gave me about his cores and checked it against the data I got from a superchiller that I tested a few years ago.
I also got some e mails from people who lurk and don't want to get into the discussion here. Most of the time I get really good info that way so thanks to you guys.
Any way I took all of these thoughts, data and new found info into our process engineer today. First off he about shit on the data from J540 on the efficiency of his cores. Then I showed him my superchiller data. It was not as good but still better then he expected. Now keeping in mind that the water is around 70 degrees and the intake charge is in the low 200 range. It was real clear to him on why J540 does not want to see them stacked. The first cooler does such a good job that there is not enough temperature differential between the air coming into the second core and the water to do much good. Sure it will do some and if I was running the high boost like the GN30 boat was it would even be better.
So now I've shifted gears again and am looking at the side by side options. I will be coming into the sides and not the front like TR1 suggested. Great idea and would be easy to do if I was running logs or a different style of exhaust. So I will have to put some turn vanes in to be sure the air flow is distributed across the entire core.
Here is a pic of the inside of a Richard Lee turbo cooler. The throttle bodies are custom (bad ass too) and so is the base it looks like. This would be pretty easy to make and should work pretty well. My cores are way bigger then these lil guys.
I bet Unchained would have like to have gotten his hands on this at the start of his project.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/9Intercooler-3-med.jpg

Unchained
09-15-2003, 02:21 PM
superdave013
[QB] I bet Unchained would have like to have gotten his hands on this at the start of his project. ]That is a real nice looking piece but you know I just have to do it myself.
Even if it's not as fancy looking.
So what numbers are you shooting for regarding the cooling?
My air temp sensor measures the temp under the intercooler. The air temp goes up the longer the turbos are at high boost. I was told that the air temp at 20 lbs boost coming out of the turbo's is over 260 degrees.
Here's some datalog info that I recorded.
www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/DATALOG1.TXT (http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/DATALOG1.TXT)
So after how many seconds at high boost do you measure your cooling?
Do you need to run it long enough to see where it will level off?
I can run a lot more water volume to the intercooler but it seems to be cooling a lot for the short blasts I do.
I have a 1/2" gate valve open about 5/8 of a turn on the -8 line that feeds the inntercooler.
Mark
[ September 15, 2003, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Unchained ]

565edge
09-15-2003, 02:53 PM
superdave013:
Ok, I've had the weekend to think about things. I took everyones input and my own thoughts. I took the data that J540 gave me about his cores and checked it against the data I got from a superchiller that I tested a few years ago.
I also got some e mails from people who lurk and don't want to get into the discussion here. Most of the time I get really good info that way so thanks to you guys.
Any way I took all of these thoughts, data and new found info into our process engineer today. First off he about shit on the data from J540 on the efficiency of his cores. Then I showed him my superchiller data. It was not as good but still better then he expected. Now keeping in mind that the water is around 70 degrees and the intake charge is in the low 200 range. It was real clear to him on why J540 does not want to see them stacked. The first cooler does such a good job that there is not enough temperature differential between the air coming into the second core and the water to do much good. Sure it will do some and if I was running the high boost like the GN30 boat was it would even be better.
So now I've shifted gears again and am looking at the side by side options. I will be coming into the sides and not the front like TR1 suggested. Great idea and would be easy to do if I was running logs or a different style of exhaust. So I will have to put some turn vanes in to be sure the air flow is distributed across the entire core.
Here is a pic of the inside of a Richard Lee turbo cooler. The throttle bodies are custom (bad ass too) and so is the base it looks like. This would be pretty easy to make and should work pretty well. My cores are way bigger then these lil guys.
I bet Unchained would have like to have gotten his hands on this at the start of his project.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/9Intercooler-3-med.jpg That looks like the one on dragboats.com for sale,I talked to that guy at long beach swat meet over the weekend,I sure would like to have that stuff.

ACCEPTENCE
09-15-2003, 10:36 PM
Well now...thats a nice looking piece but I still like the idea of the cores mounted at an angle to the plenum with the divider down the middle.
No chance of the air from each bank fighting each other, and lees 90 degree turns for the air to make to get into the motor.
Kinda makes ya go hummm :D :D :D

Rexone
02-10-2004, 01:34 AM
bump...
someone was looking for this thread, here it is.
The pictures are all there. Perhaps Info can go in and fix the image tags, those were screwed up in the conversion. As soon as thats done they'll come up again. (I can't access em here).