PDA

View Full Version : Dish Network

Havasu Cig
03-09-2004, 06:57 PM
I don't know how many others have Dish Network, but they are screwing their customers!!!!
They pulled all Viacom channels from their service today, which includes MTV, VH1 and 8 other channels due to price increases from Viacom. In return theor customers are only going to get a $1.00 rebate per month off their service.
If you call them there is a recording asking their customers to call Viacom.
I have 5 boxes, three dishes, and an HD box (which cost me 1k) in two different houses. Anytime I have called for customer service in the past they are A$$HOLES!!!
I think it might be time to switch to Direct
:mad:

King Kuracz
03-09-2004, 07:15 PM
They are out of my house.
ASSHOLES are making me miss the premiere next week of the next season of South Park. Doubt I can get Direct installed by then.
I'm glad I got a "no commitment" deal from them. It's obvious they have no commitment to their customers.

NorCal Gameshow
03-09-2004, 08:14 PM
Losing mtv doesn't seem like much of a loss...
having said that, the merger of direct and dish would've sucked big time ....I hope i never have to go back to cable...

JetBoatRich
03-09-2004, 08:39 PM
The place I am staying, lost CBS today?:mad:
from the changes

NorCal Gameshow
03-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
The place I am staying, lost CBS today?:mad:
from the changes
at least they still have internet access...:D

BiggusJimbus
03-09-2004, 08:43 PM
try these guys...
http://expertsatellite.com/catalog/
They get you hooked up pretty quick, and the deals are great. I was up and running in less than a week.

Jrocket
03-09-2004, 08:44 PM
You sure get the short end of the stick alot! Hows your better half doing?:D

JetBoatRich
03-09-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by NorCal Gameshow
at least they still have internet access...:D
That is a good thing:D
Still a few shows on CBS we enjoy:mad:

Dr. Eagle
03-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Soooo where ya staying Rich???:confused:

JetBoatRich
03-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Soooo where ya staying Rich???:confused:
San Jose. near the Great American theme park:rolleyes:

Dr. Eagle
03-09-2004, 09:01 PM
I was staying in Fremont just a couple of months ago, just a few miles north...:rolleyes:
Know what you mean...:rolleyes:

JetBoatRich
03-09-2004, 09:09 PM
I was staying in Fremont just a couple of months ago, just a few miles north...:rolleyes:
Know what you mean...:rolleyes:
This is a temp. deal here, I am looking at places for the next four months. Some sort of Corporate housing.

Dr. Eagle
03-09-2004, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I just stayed in an Extended Stay America. They got good wireless internet service though!

JetBoatRich
03-09-2004, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I just stayed in an Extended Stay America. They got good wireless internet service though!
I am in the extended Stay, actually Santa Clara. The wireless is real nice:D The place I may move next week has it as well;)

Dr. Eagle
03-09-2004, 09:15 PM
I am in the extended Stay, actually Santa Clara. The wireless is real nice:D The place I may move next week has it as well;)
It made working my ass off a little more bearable. Gotta have the broadband!

CEO
03-09-2004, 09:54 PM
Direct tv is awesome lots of channels and some for free?

HCS
03-09-2004, 10:14 PM
I am in the extended Stay, actually Santa Clara. The wireless is real nice:D The place I may move next week has it as well;) Are you up & on right now?

mbrown2
03-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Absolutely crap....gonna do some investigating on Direct if they don't solve it within the week.

LAVEYSABRE575
03-09-2004, 11:18 PM
mbrown i feel the same way i also have 5 receivers and an hd box, i received the call from the wife today about the viacom thing went straight to tweeter and bought new equipment for direct they have a three for free deal i just purchased another hd box and two more receivers plus a extra dish for the lake house,easy transition everything plugged right into the existing cables the back breaker for me was the nickalodean station my 4 1/2 yr. old dghtr. was upset about that ,also god forbid my wife miss an episode of the young and restless you know the saying happy wife happy life....derek

hislittleho
03-09-2004, 11:22 PM
Dish sucks!!!!!!! I have had some spats with them! Many hours on the line and a few hundred dollars later. I am now with Direct
I have had nothing but good service from them.

mbrown2
03-09-2004, 11:49 PM
Derek,
Thnx for the 3 for Free info...I have 4 recievers here and 1 at the river to replace...two of them are PVR's so I need to verify if Direct has that....just friggen sucks if I have to switch...

Essex502
03-10-2004, 06:21 AM
Go DirecTV or don't go satellite at all. GO with the original and still champ of the satellite business.

burbanite
03-10-2004, 07:02 AM
Anyone with HD should be with Direct anyway.
If you have an HD set you can use an antenna and get your local channel Hi Def feed for nothing, it is OTA. I've had it since 2000, paid nothing.

Pointerman
03-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Hey, I think you are staying across the street from my company. I work at TiVo and there is an Extended Stay across the street from our facility. We are at Great America Parkway and 237.
DIRECTV offers a PVR with TiVo service. Far superior to the DISH product so if you go to DTV make sure you ask for TiVo. You won't regret the decision.

JetBoatRich
03-10-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Pointerman
Hey, I think you are staying across the street from my company. I work at TiVo and there is an Extended Stay across the street from our facility. We are at Great America Parkway and 237.
DIRECTV offers a PVR with TiVo service. Far superior to the DISH product so if you go to DTV make sure you ask for TiVo. You won't regret the decision.
That is the place, you work at that office?

Jetdriver
03-10-2004, 08:12 AM
Im getting screwed! We picked up Dishnetwork when we moved in to our new place and so far it sucks. Now I dont even get my MTV! But what really sucks is that I figured it would be just like Directv so I signed a 2 year deal. Im ****ED! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Terrible Buddhist
03-10-2004, 10:36 AM
There has to be a way to get out of that contract after this...offer to pay them a dollar more for those channels back! A dollar...geez!

Pointerman
03-10-2004, 11:55 AM
That is the place, you work at that office?
Yup. Great company to work for. Been here for 3 1/2 years and loving every minute of it. Welcome to the area.

XTRM22
03-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Damn, glad I got those new rabbit ears for the tv at the Havasu House! Of course I wouldn't need them but nobody has movies on Beta to rent to me!;) :D :p
Chuck

JetBoatRich
03-10-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Pointerman
Yup. Great company to work for. Been here for 3 1/2 years and loving every minute of it. Welcome to the area.
Thanks for the Welcome:cool:
Check your PM

EricU
03-10-2004, 02:41 PM
I have been with Dish Network for about three years now because I live in a semi-rural part of Napa and I can’t get cable (though my neighbor has cable!).
I have had no problems until Dish and Viacom had there little spat and then the channels get yanked.
I can’t believe they are going to give me a god-damn one dollar credit – That’s BULLSHIT!
And this is right before March Madness which is on CBS! – That’s BULLSHIT!
Then both Viacom and the Dish Network are trying to feed us some more BULLSHIT! Saying that it’s not their fault – Well it has to be at least either Viacom’s or Dish Network’s fault!
Eric.

harleypauls
03-10-2004, 03:12 PM
I have been a direct tv subscriber for a couple of years now and I have had absolutely no promlems!!
2 years ago, my wife bought me Tivo. I didn't know too much about it, BUT boy was I wrong!! It is the best thing since sliced bread. I can't be without it now.
Easy to operate for the electronically challenged. Great customer service!! :)

77charger
03-10-2004, 03:27 PM
Just before i got direct tv a couple of years ago a dish net rep was telling me how good dish ntwk was bla bla bla.I told him i was leaning towards direct tv he then told me dish was going to buy out direct(never happened)I went with direct tv instead and love it,(esp since i get to watch most programs 3 hrs earlier)Except for local tv i have to stay up later.My cable service around here SUCKED when i switched.

Havasu Cig
03-10-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Jrocket
You sure get the short end of the stick alot! Hows your better half doing?:D
Actually I think my other 1/2 is more pissed about this than me. Her two favorite shows are the Jessica Simpson one and the Real World on MTV.
I Personally don't watch much MTV except for the Osbournes once in a while, but the dollar back Bullshit for losing 10 channels is crap. And on top of that Dish Network is telling us to call Viacom and complain. It sounds like their problem to me.
My other 1/2 is saying she will give it one week and then we are going with Direct.
Anyone know what Direct is charging for an HD box????

LAVEYSABRE575
03-10-2004, 10:30 PM
havasu cig, tweeter has a nice hd box by samsung it has all the toys on it for 499.00.....derek

LAVEYSABRE575
03-10-2004, 10:32 PM
cig.. tweeter has all direct tv stuff...

ROZ
03-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Mr. Havasu Cig, there's a Tweeter right here in Esco :D ;)

LAVEYSABRE575
03-10-2004, 10:48 PM
roz i hear the sony xm 1 receivers are like gold right now i heard there totally unavailable is that true...derek

ROZ
03-10-2004, 11:08 PM
I answered in one of your pm's... :rolleyes: :D
***boat, fix the pm machine :frown:

Jrocket
03-10-2004, 11:15 PM
Do you have those tower speakers still?

ROZ
03-10-2004, 11:29 PM
check your pm's...

Jrocket
03-10-2004, 11:44 PM
Got the PM but couldnt reply.Long drive,cash in hand,ready when you are,got it?:D LOL

ROZ
03-10-2004, 11:46 PM
It worked. I replied to your reply's reply :eek: :D

hislittleho
03-11-2004, 12:23 AM
Dish sucks and always will!!!! My advice to one who is stuck in a contract is to just pay off your contract. You will save $$$$ in the long run anyway. Dish stands for S.C.A.M. :yuk: :yuk:

JetBoatRich
03-11-2004, 05:41 AM
Looks like the knuckle heads worked it, we have CBS this morning:(

MagicMtnDan
03-11-2004, 06:43 AM
The Associated Press
Updated: 8:21 a.m. ET March 11, 2004
DENVER - Ending a fee dispute that left millions of DISH satellite television customers without several popular channels, EchoStar Communications Corp. agreed early Thursday on a new contract with CBS parent Viacom Inc.
EchoStar pulled the plug on Viacom programming Tuesday, leaving up to 9 million DISH Network viewers nationwide without Viacom channels including MTV, VH1, Comedy Central, BET and Nickelodeon.
The dispute also left as many as 2 million DISH viewers without CBS shows when EchoStar pulled the network's programming in cities including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Miami, Boston, Denver, Minneapolis and Dallas.
DISH subscribers in those cities were threatened with the loss of the upcoming NCAA men's basketball tournament, which begins March 18 on CBS.
Customers turning to the disrupted channels instead saw a message accusing Viacom of seeking an unreasonable rate increase that would result in higher monthly satellite bills for EchoStar customers.
"We understand that this has been a difficult few days for our customers, and we thank them for all the encouragement they have given us throughout," EchoStar chairman and CEO Charles Ergen said in a joint statement with Viacom. "We also look forward to a long relationship with Viacom in which we can provide their quality channels to our viewers."
In the statement, Viacom president Mel Karmazin apologized for the service disruption and thanked viewers "for their patience and support."
The blackout was the largest disruption since 2000, when a similar dispute between Time Warner cable and ABC interrupted service to 3.5 million cable customers.
MTV spokeswoman Jeanine Smartt, a spokeswoman for MTV, cited customer displeasure as a factor in the renewed negotiations that led to a deal.
"Really, it was the outcry from the viewers that truly, I think, brought EchoStar back to the negotiating table," Smartt said. "They called us by the thousands and thousands."
Viacom and EchoStar began sparring after a contract for the DISH Network to broadcast Viacom channels expired Dec. 31. The contract was extended at least three times, with the latest court order expiring late Monday.
EchoStar said Viacom illegally tried to force it to carry channels at unfair prices in exchange for the right to also carry 18 CBS-owned stations in 16 markets.
It said New York-based Viacom sought rate increases up to 40 percent over the length of the contract, which would total potentially hundreds of millions of dollars.
Viacom officials said EchoStar was fighting over what amounted to 6 cents more per customer per month.
Besides CBS, media conglomerate Viacom also owns MTV and the Paramount movie studio.

Havasu Cig
03-11-2004, 08:28 AM
I just noticed the channels were back this morning.
I am still going to check into Direct though....
For me it is a pain in the ass because I have it in two houses with multiple boxes (including an HD reciever in one), and our Weekend Warrior as well. I will have to see what Direct is willing to do.
I have been with Dish almost eight years and they are a pain in the A$$ to deal with sometimes.:rolleyes:

Ion
03-11-2004, 08:47 AM
I too have been with Dish Network for several years and was shocked to see what they pulled. 'Specially the lousy $1.00 refund offer! What a bunch of jackasses! I enquired about Directv and they have an offer of 3 rooms (3 boxes and remotes) for absolutely bupkis (free)! There was a fair $14.95 shipping fee for the goods. Even though DN has pulled their heads from their asses, I'm seriously considering switching. Before I do, I'll give DN the opportunity to match the freebie offer from Directv.

Pointerman
03-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Ion,
Hey, I see that you do airbrushing in your sig line. Do you do artwork on T-shirts? I want to get my Dad and his wife a matching pair of airbrushed t-shirts with the Warlock logo on the back and their names on the left chest. I want all of this in a waving flag pattern (if you could see their boat you would understand). Been trying to locate a good airbrush artist.

mbrown2
03-11-2004, 09:38 PM
Wow; just realized the channels were back....I figured it would be solved pretty quick. I just did not want to run out and get a boat load of gear...even with the three free offer, I would still need to replace the two PVR's I have, so it will add up....Two dishes, 3 receivers and 2 pvr's...Hopefully they can work out their differences..

Faster Daddy
03-12-2004, 12:51 AM
Dumped the DISH and got hooked up with DirectTV a week before they pulled that crap. 3 receivers ( one of them a Tivo) + installation $120. There was also supposed to be a fee DVD player but after you read about all of the hoops you have to jump through to get it = not worth the time :mad:
The downside, it will probably take me a couple more months to figure out the new channel #'s