PDA

View Full Version : Tunnel Ram ??

GottaJet
03-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Thinking about going for the old tunnelram on my slightly modified 460.Can anyone suggest the best one to run maybe hook a part #(polished) and place to get one?Carb advice would also be helpful.Any advice you guys can come up with on making the change from a single carb setup to the double carbs will probably save me alot of money and headaches. :D THANKS GJ :D

Blown 472
03-09-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by GottaJet
Thinking about going for the old tunnelram on my slightly modified 460.Can anyone suggest the best one to run maybe hook a part #(polished) and place to get one?Carb advice would also be helpful.Any advice you guys can come up with on making the change from a single carb setup to the double carbs will probably save me alot of money and headaches. :D THANKS GJ :D
What kinda rpm you turning? you like tuning carbs?

GottaJet
03-09-2004, 09:31 PM
Around 4700 4800 and I cant say tuning carbs is one of my specialties..Don't they just bolt on and go;) :D

Hustler
03-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Around 4700 4800 and I cant say tuning carbs is one of my specialties..Don't they just bolt on and go;) :D
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Dude!! did you hit the lotto?:D Like I said before I'll help ya out all can but I would spend the money and have Dave @ DNE do the initial setup

HammerDown
03-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Only looking at 47-4800 rpm with a Tunnel Ram :confused: why bother?

Hustler
03-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Hammer he's only running a single 750 right now.

Hustler
03-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Hey GJ why not just buy this mo betta (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41853) :D

Blown 472
03-10-2004, 09:22 AM
Why not put a victor single plane on it with an 850, the bling bling factor wont be there but more consistant and probably more fun in the long run.:rolleyes:

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
03-10-2004, 09:32 AM
tunnel rams don't even start to work good until 6000 rpm. single carb setup is the best for 'lake boat'. If you were turning 7000 rpm and trying to set the water on fire it would be different.
I must admit they do look cool!:cool:
better invest in bigger gas tanks also:p
Omega

HBjet
03-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Blown 472
you like tuning carbs?
Why would he need to tune them after there dialed in?
Never had a tuning problem with both of my tunnel ram motors once they where dialed in.
HBjet

HBjet
03-10-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
I must admit they do look cool!:cool:
better invest in bigger gas tanks also:p
Omega
True, and yeah, you will burn more gas....
HBjet:D

LakesOnly
03-10-2004, 10:13 AM
In my opinion, the two best tunnel rams for the 460 Ford is the Weiand and the Offy Turbo-Thrust.
The increased air/fuel cfm applied to your engine may net some slightly higher engine rpms's with proper tuning.
While it is true that no other carbureted induction set-up can beat a 2-four tunnel ram above 5000 rpm or so, many people don't realize the significant increase in mid-range torque that they really do offer (this over your current set-up for sure).
460's love a lot of air, fuel and spark advance--especially when you can offer all of these things together at once.
I say go for it. Just be sure to have your own backyard oil refinery. ;)
LO

LakesOnly
03-10-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by HBjet
Why would he need to tune them after there dialed in?
Never had a tuning problem with both of my tunnel ram motors once they where dialed in.
HBjet
Gotta agree with this one. It's all about understanding all your fuel circuits. Through-and-through, a properly tuned 2-four set-up starts, idles and wails without much more than an occassional hiccup when firing...
LO

TopCat
03-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Blown 472
Why not put a victor single plane on it with an 850, the bling bling factor wont be there but more consistant and probably more fun in the long run.:rolleyes: I do hav a brand new Ford motorsport (same as victor) singleplane intake for sale if you're interested $180.00

BigBoyToys
03-10-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by TopCat
I do hav a brand new Ford motorsport (same as victor) singleplane intake for sale if you're interested $180.00
Selling all your Ford stuff huh?:D Gotta go with a BBC now right;) :p :D

TopCat
03-10-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by TopCat
I do hav a brand new Ford motorsport (same as victor) singleplane intake for sale if you're interested $180.00 you know better i'm just trying to sell the few things i dont need i also hav the polished offy single plane plumbed for N2O hell i'll even ship them for free/ i've decided to keep the heads/i'll put the new heads on later :D

GottaJet
03-10-2004, 11:29 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions :D It would probably be better to go with the single carb setup,but that bling factor is just so compelling:p Gonna have to toss this one around a little:confused: Thanks again for the help guys:D

screamdreambrad
03-11-2004, 12:02 AM
gj go for the gusto! tunnel ram:) brad

Jet Hydro
03-11-2004, 12:07 AM
Best tunnel ram for the 460 Ford is the Weiand.
If your going for the looking cool factor, you still want the Weiand because when you up grade to a bigger better motor you`ll be glad you did. Just put 2- 600`s on it for now. It will run just fine! http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208post-5-17257-P1000662-med.jpg

Hotcrusader76
03-11-2004, 12:27 AM
You mean my intake doesn't even compare?:D:D:D
http://i6.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/5e/94/8b_1_b.JPG

Hotcrusader76
03-11-2004, 12:31 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions :D It would probably be better to go with the single carb setup,but that bling factor is just so compelling:p Gonna have to toss this one around a little:confused: Thanks again for the help guys:D
Something you could consider is to salvage two Ebay 3310 vacuum secondary carburetors, purchase the rear metering block conversions from Jegs and bolt them right up. With a little phone call to me I'll walk you through simeasing those vacuum cansisters and getting a baseline tune before you even fire the motor.
How's that sound?
Dialing in dual carburetor is not a Vodoo art here. It's a matter of taking the necessary prep time to ensure both carburetors are equally the same "before" bolting them on.
The second issue at hand and probably one of the most dicked up issues on TR boats is the linkage. Spend the money and get a good linkage kit or plan on running them inline with a simple rod and special fabbed morse cable mount.
It's not rocket science...it's very easy and many people here on the boards benefit from their killer set-ups (TPC and non-TPC:D)

TopCat
03-11-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Hotcrusader76
http://i6.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/5e/94/8b_1_b.JPG I wish i had yours they would match up great with my new IDT heads if you know anyone else with a TFS intake that mite be 4sale let me know I'm about to buy the single 4bbl intake it's great for the 7200rpms i'll b runnin

LakesOnly
03-11-2004, 10:31 AM
http://i6.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/5e/94/8b_1_b.JPG
Ty, you're talking about a whole different league here....;)
LO

Squirtcha?
03-11-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by LakesOnly
Ty, you're talking about a whole different league here....;)
LO
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Dropped my new/used Weiand TR off at the polishers this morning. Was pretty happy with the price at $195 for a complete detailing. It would've cost me that much just to get the tools I needed. They did a buddy of mine's last year and it turned out nice.

Cole Sanger
03-11-2004, 12:57 PM
So where is this polisher at? Always in need of a good place in AZ. Had trouble with one place already, don't want to do that again. Thanks

Squirtcha?
03-11-2004, 02:39 PM
KerrWest Plating. 4737 N. 43rd ave suite #3.
Phone # 623-937-8676
It's on 43rd ave just south of Grand across from the Home Depot. They've got some big accounts. Paul Yaffee, Phoenix Choppers, Bourget etc. etc. They were in the process of doing a "show polish" on some brand new S&S motors and they looked great.
I thought the price was pretty reasonable. It could be that I told them it wasn't a rush job. He said he figured it'd be about two weeks, which fit my schedule fine since I'm still piecing stuff together for the swap. The price to do the intake is for what they term "show polish". The intake has never been sanded or polished, so it's basically an out of the box finish. Since it was used, it also had some minor corrosion on it, but not bad.

GottaJet
03-11-2004, 10:55 PM
Something you could consider is to salvage two Ebay 3310 vacuum secondary carburetors, purchase the rear metering block conversions from Jegs and bolt them right up. With a little phone call to me I'll walk you through simeasing those vacuum cansisters and getting a baseline tune before you even fire the motor.
How's that sound?
Dialing in dual carburetor is not a Vodoo art here. It's a matter of taking the necessary prep time to ensure both carburetors are equally the same "before" bolting them on.
The second issue at hand and probably one of the most dicked up issues on TR boats is the linkage. Spend the money and get a good linkage kit or plan on running them inline with a simple rod and special fabbed morse cable mount.
It's not rocket science...it's very easy and many people here on the boards benefit from their killer set-ups (TPC and non-TPC:D) Holy Shit!:eek: I had trouble just reading that:confused: Seriously though, It's great to know when I make the conversion I've got a great bunch of people like yourselves to harass with Questions..Thanks GJ:D :D