PDA

View Full Version : Kneeboarding

lynden
03-09-2004, 09:34 PM
Got a question for yall.
Does anyone have any pointers/tips/tricks for a first time kneeboarder. I'm a fairly big guy, 6'3" about 300#. My mom doesn't think I can do it, but I'll show her.
Anywho, is it as hard as she makes it out to be, or is it fairly easy to get up on? I'd love to wake board, but my knees are shot (good ole football), so I figured I better take it somewhat easy.
From what I've gathered from teh interweb, I wanna lay on it like a surf board, with my chest on the board, and once the boat gets moving slowly I hop up into the kneeling position and strap the board on. After that its all bets are off...
Any help???

LASERRAY
03-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by lynden
Got a question for yall.
Does anyone have any pointers/tips/tricks for a first time kneeboarder. I'm a fairly big guy, 6'3" about 300#.
Any help??? Yea, Lose weight.:D I'm almost as big as you, 6'3 270 lbs. I'm going to try a wakeboard this year. It's easier then a single ski, and not hard on the lower back like a kneeboard.:cool:

quiet riot
03-09-2004, 10:04 PM
If ya got knee problems ya might want to rethink the kneeboard. I busted my knee in football and found kneeboarding to be the worst on it. Skis and other stuff were much less demanding on my knee. Its not too bad on calm water for a few minutes but any rough stuff and my knee is shot for a day.
Not too much to getting up on them, just like you said. Try the first few times without messing with the strap for the legs. Just leave it strapped down tight and put your knees on top of it. The strap seemed to be the biggest problem for newbees. And have the boat take off just fast enough to plane you on the board (10-12mph) while you get up and situated, then usually around 15mph once your situated.
jd

HighRoller
03-09-2004, 11:36 PM
I'm a big guy also and I highly recommend starting out from the shore first to learn how to control the board. Plant the back end of the board in the sand and let the tip rise above the water while you're in the riding position.Tell the driver to hit it when you have a little less than 10 feet of slack left. Once you get that piece down, start in deep water using these tips. Laying on your stomach, keep the strap as loose as it will go and hold it in your teeth. If you don't it will no doubt end up under your knees, which is bad. With the boat pulling you just below planing speed(yours, not the boat's) plant your elbows firmly and use them to hold your weight and steer the board. You'll see what I mean when you do it. Suck your knees up onto the board as quickly as you can while letting go of the strap. Done correctly, the strap will be laying just just in front of your knees. Very Important: Once you have gotten on your knees have the boat speed up and pull you onto a plane. It doesn't matter if the strap isn't done or if you're not in the right position yet. There's less drag on the board when you're on a plane and since you'll be holding on with one hand while messing with the strap and moving yourself around, I've found it easier to do while planing.

lynden
03-10-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
Yea, Lose weight.:D I'm almost as big as you, 6'3 270 lbs.
Thats a whole nother issue....I need to drop about 40 pounds and build up some muscle again!
I love this $13/hr office job, but I'm a fat ass now bcause of it, guess its back to the gym this summer. Anyone have any luck with a recumbent bike?

Mandelon
03-10-2004, 09:06 AM
Don't even bother trying wakeboarding if its rough. It will beat you to hell. If you can find some glassy water it is a lot of fun. Its easy too. You can cross the wake and jump a little, then do 360's passing the rope behind your back. But rough water just sucks ass for kneeboarding. The newer wakeboards have nice deep indentations for your knees.
Don't forget the vest. :D

1Shockwaveguy
03-10-2004, 09:19 AM
Highroller is 100% correct. To add to his post I would suggest using a double handle rope at first and while holding onto the handles use your hands to grab the front on the board on both sides for stability. Another trick for the more experienced rider is to tuck a beer into your vest so once you get up you can pop a coolie and cruise. (same trick works on a water ski) just do us all a favor and when your done with the beer tuck the can back in your vest and don't just chuck it.

welk2party
03-10-2004, 09:49 AM
Knee probs? NO KNEBOARDING! You will be hating it.

rrrr
03-10-2004, 10:00 AM
I have had knee surgery on the left one 8 times. It's a mess. No way could I kneeboard. Wakeboarding is no problem. It all happens slow, and it's a lot easier on the ol' pins than skiing.

syke-o
03-10-2004, 10:01 AM
i think the best way to get started is to just throw the rope all coiled up out of the boat and into the water, and while it is still coiled up find the handle and grab it, then tell the driver to punch it full throttle, let all the slack run out and then hold on for your life... i think this is the easiest way to get pulled up..

FMluvswater
03-21-2004, 11:48 PM
Ask Tom Brown. He's got it down.

DeltaSigBoater
03-22-2004, 12:24 AM
Everyone is correct… if you have knee problems then DO NOT KNEEBOARD.
Forget about weight being an issue, I’ve seen big guys out there on skis, wakeboards, and kneeboards.
I teach waterskiing & wake/kneeboarding here in San Diego, and have taught kids, teens, college students and adults how to do all the above. And what you picked up online is pretty much what we tell people to do too.
For some reason people think kneeboarding will be easier. One thing that happens to everyone when they’re learning how to kneeboard is that they start to panic when they get flipped over. I’ve had to jump in an undo the strap on several occasions.
If you really love wakeboarding, then stick to that. Or maybe try a wake skate!

bigpapasean
03-22-2004, 12:27 AM
What is the difference between a wake board and a wake skate?

DeltaSigBoater
03-22-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by bigpapasean
What is the difference between a wake board and a wake skate?
A wakeboard had bindings that are attached to the board.
A wake skate a cross between a skateboard & wakeboard. Made out of wood, has grip tape in leiu of bindings.
wakeboard (http://www.overtons.com/graphics/products/large/19893L.jpg) wake skate (http://www.overtons.com/graphics/products/large/19023L.jpg)

h2oski2fast
03-22-2004, 12:40 AM
Wake skate does not have bindings on it.

bigpapasean
03-22-2004, 12:45 AM
:idea2:So my size 15 feet would probably have an easer time with a wake skate :p

DeltaSigBoater
03-22-2004, 01:05 AM
Well it all depends, are you finding that the bindings are too tight on your feet? Or can you not find a pair big enough?
Most wake skates are 106cm to 116cm long and 38.5cm to 40cm wide. If your feet are extending over the edges then its not going to be easier for you to get up.
If I had to size up a wakeboard for you I’d put you on a board between 140cm-144cm with xxlarge bindings.

bigpapasean
03-22-2004, 01:14 AM
My buddy’s board had xx bindings and it was all most imposable to get my foot in even wilt binding goop. My feet are wide. I think I be more out to ride more if I didn’t haft to fight with bindings

DeltaSigBoater
03-22-2004, 01:20 AM
its the bindings then, different manufactures have different ideas of what xxlarge is. Furthermore xxlarge in an advance binding is going to be tighter than that of a beginning xxl style binding.

bigpapasean
03-22-2004, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the info. I have been to a shop and tried other brands and stiles just cod not find one that didn’t turn my feet blue. So I think im going to look in to wake skates a little more.

Sherpa
03-22-2004, 08:00 AM
while I'm close to your weight and height, kneeboarding might
not be your best choice. here's a no-cost way to find out.
kneel-down on the floor, with your whole body weight resting on
your legs. stay this way for about 20 minutes. if it hurts, then
kneeboarding isn't for you. while you're probably not going to
kneeboard for 10 minutes, you can assume the 4-5 minutes that
you will be riding would be about the same pressure on the legs.
you might want to try wakeboarding.... Coming from a DIE-HARD
slolam skier myself, I found wakeboarding to be VERY easy to get
up and ride...
I have all the ski toys from waaaay back. anyone remember the
"skurfer"-? I still have the "rage" model. it was a pain in the butt
to learn to ride, but we mastered it and rode alot.
the difference between trying that old skurfer, and a new wakeboard is the wakeboard is eaiser to get up on.,
once in the bindings, submerge the whole board under you.
think of it as an underwater hydro-foil. the board is perpendicular
to the rope, and you are directly above the board while in the
water.
the boat accelerates, and you basically just remain standing.
once you get on plane, the board needs to be turned to face the
boat.
happy riding...
--Sherpa