PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Fraud

INEEDAV
03-10-2004, 07:44 AM
I wanted to fill you guys in on a scam a guy tried to get me on. I was bidding on a Enderle stack injection setup a week ago. Well I wound up being out bid on it. The next day I recieved an email from "racing*stuff" wanting to sell the injection system to me because the high bidder bid more than he was able to pay for the unit. Sounds good, checked out racing*stuff feedback, looked good. I called the number the guy had listed, answering service (first hint I might be taking it in the shorts). Emailed the guy a couple times, nothing. Finally I went back to the original item and emailed the seller from there. Well, low and behold the guy has no idea what I am talking about. More checking and find that the real racing*stuff id belongs to Louis Reese. The name on the emai I got from the scammer was Jeffery Lehman. I have found out from rushpost.com that the account is registered to someone in Australia. And since I have ridiculous amounts of free time at work so I am going to pursue the a$$.
Here is the email I got from the guy trying to sell me the thing off Ebay.
To member: ineedav
From member: racing*stuff
--------------------
Hello,
You were bidding on my "BB CHEVY ENDERLE STACK INJECTOR \INJECTION" auction.
The high bidder couldn't afford to pay and said he "went higher than he wanted
to".
I choose to offer it to you in case you still want it, rather than relist.
I'd like to receive the payment by Western Union. If you're interested just e-mail
me back.
Thanks for the bid and I look forward to hearing from you soon!
Sincerely yours,
Jeffery Lehman
phone/fax: 1-773-409-2102
--------------------
This email was sent by an eBay member via eBay's email forwarding system.
If you reply to the email, your response will go directly to the member and not
through eBay.
Just wanted to let you guys in on this, incase one of you comes across the same name or a similar deal.
As a note, the seller on Ebay racing*stuff seems to be a good guy.
Billy

superdave013
03-10-2004, 07:49 AM
Good deal that you caught on. Please report him o e bay too. I hope you hang that maggot

INEEDAV
03-10-2004, 08:22 AM
I have reported him to ebay as well. They have not gotten back to me yet. I have forwarded what I have to the police here locally and they are contacting the Austrailian federal police. I will keep you guys updated.

HavasuDreamin'
03-10-2004, 09:02 AM
FYI ... 773 is a north chicago area code.

INEEDAV
03-10-2004, 09:14 AM
Rushpost.com has the IP using that email address coming from Australia.

HavasuDreamin'
03-10-2004, 09:26 AM
Then the dude obviously gave you the wrong phone number. :( Sounds to me like someone is trying to scam some money using someone elses name. :mad:

INEEDAV
03-10-2004, 09:29 AM
Sounds like it huh. I have found several Lehmans in the area, but can not get any info on the number yet as to whos it is. The number goes straight to an answering machine/fax machine.

CircleJerk
03-10-2004, 10:30 AM
Thanks, that's a bummer.:(

flattie
03-10-2004, 11:05 AM
Someone tried to do that with a motorcyle on cycletrader.com to me also
Never send money western union with no info

Cole Sanger
03-10-2004, 11:12 AM
I had a friend just go through something similar. He bid on a boat, but got out bid. A couple days later he got an e-mail from some lady saying the buyer couldn't come up with the funds. Sounds similar. He ended up passing also due to the strange dealings he had.

Sherpa
03-17-2004, 01:54 PM
guys,
never, ever, use western union to pay for something. once you
hit that "send" button, it's G.O.N.E.
there's no way western union can halt the transfer. there is also
the ability to receive the payment from ANYWHERE, so can't go
find the culprit and blanket-party them back......
--even paypal has some issues...
this was a nice catch on your part... excellent ebay-heads up.
--Sherpa

126driver
03-17-2004, 02:30 PM
paypal sucks. Four days for the money to hit your account. WTF? :mad:

INEEDAV
03-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Paypal beats a hot check or no means of recourse should the buyer or seller turn out to be a piece of $hit as in the "seller" in my case.

Rexone
03-17-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by 126driver
paypal sucks. Four days for the money to hit your account. WTF? :mad:
I disagree. I've done probably close to 200 paypal transactions. It's quite safe. And if they pay by credit card the transaction is immediately credited to your Paypal account. I did alot of ebay sales a year ago that were paid in this manner and we shipped next day with money in the Paypal account. Now if they pay Paypal some other method than credit card that does create a delay. But it is still safe. Much safer than accepting cashiers checks and money orders which can be easily forged with todays sophisiticated computers. We've been burned by a couple of those forgeries too.
bottom line is is someone is trying to circumvent ebays system there's usually a reason. and wiring money for something not received from a seller you don't know... well you should just never do that under any circumstances.

78Eliminator
03-17-2004, 06:18 PM
Hey Billy, something similar happened to my girlfriend. She got a "renewal" e-mail from ebay, supposedly asking to renew her passwords, paypal info and stuff. The next day she calls me up at work crying saying that her e-bay and paypal do not work and that the accounts are disabled. Luckily, e-bay stopped the guy in his tracks before he did any REAL BAD damage to her account. What he did, is cancel all her auctions, then put up his own using her account for some "Rolex" watch. Anyway, Sharon uses e-bay to make a living and she lost about $1000 worth of sales in one swoop. I was so livid when I found this out. If I ever got a hold of the creep that did that to her.......:mad:

Fiat48
03-17-2004, 06:30 PM
I have had so many absolute legit looking emails from Ebay. But I always send them to spoof@ebay and every time...I get a response that the email wasn't from Ebay.
The people doing it are pretty good. I think castration would be a fair punishment for 1st time offenders.

78Eliminator
03-17-2004, 07:16 PM
Anyone who selfishly prospers by the demolition of ones livelihood deserves to die by public evisceration.
(yeah, I just watched Braveheart the other night)

SANGER-RICH
03-17-2004, 07:17 PM
The answer is to this do not respond to any of these e-mails that as for your info, I get them all the time and turn them into eithe EBAY or PAYPAL, I have made some major purchases and sold some major priced things an never had a problem, I beleive in EBAY AND PAYPAL and I accept credit cards and mostly any means of payment, Just be aware , they are out there to get ya so beware.:p

NorCal Gameshow
03-17-2004, 07:22 PM
How is it that they can get your e-mail ? your e-mail address should only be avail. to the seller not anyone else....that would cut back on this b-s...

Fiat48
03-17-2004, 07:32 PM
Speaking of frauds...here's a few just came in. I am selling the 48 Fiat and also a set of pistons. 2 seperate ads. Here you go:
Greetings,
i am Angelo Murry by name i am from the U.S but i am based in portugal where i do business,right now i am intrested in buying your 48 Fiat Topolino Mob Style S&W solid mount chassis ,i will like you to get back to me with the last offering price of it.
Regards,
Angelo.
Greetings,
i am Angelo Murry by name i am from the U.S but i am based in portugal where i do business,right now i am intrested in buying your Manley Pro Dome ,i will like you to get back to me with the last offering price of it.
Regards,
Angelo.
:mad: :mad: :mad: Yeah, right!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Rexone
03-17-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by NorCal Gameshow
How is it that they can get your e-mail ? your e-mail address should only be avail. to the seller not anyone else....that would cut back on this b-s...
well up until awhile back emails weren't private on ebay. In fact you could use your email as your ebay id name (which I did). Alot of people still have copies of all those email addresses is my guess. That email in the id thing changed about a year ago and they made everyone drop the @whatever.com part of their ebay name if they were using one.
Also emails of bidders and sellers used to be on screen. All you had to do was place a bid, get the email then retract the bid. can't do it anymore. they've tightened it up a bunch. I get the bogus Paypal and Ebay requests for info daily. The scammers even spoof the ebay.com addresses on the emails now so they look legit. They aren't. Ebay and Paypal will never contact you asking for personal info by email. If they need something from you you will receive an email asking you to login to your account. Never click on a link in these requests for info. They can be stealing your info or can be viruses and worms. (sounds like an intestinal problem). :rolleyes:

Fiat48
03-17-2004, 09:31 PM
I got one email from ebay asking me to log onto my account and included a link to do so. But I forwarded it to spoof @ebay and they came back and said it wasn't legit either. I got a feeling that link, although it looked legit...wasn't.
So..bottom line for me is...they'll have to call me on the phone or catch me when I log on for info. I trust no emails.

Rexone
03-17-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
Never click on a link in these requests for info. They can be stealing your info or can be viruses and worms. (sounds like an intestinal problem). :rolleyes:
:D

Hotcrusader76
03-17-2004, 11:19 PM
I can attest to the Ebay scamming going on these dayz.
INEEDAV can offer witness to this as he and I were bidding for a BBC Victor intake which apparently had claims of being an original Lingenfelter ported version. Well it turns out after closer investigating, the guy just bought the very intake from a previous guy who I had already contacted.
Long story short it was ported by the "original" owners brother in a backyard under a tree for crying out loud. The late John Lingenfelter had never ported it back in 87 and to this very day the guy trying to sell it swore on his mothers grave that it was authentic.
This discovery was in all thanks to INEEDAV contacting me after the sale. Hell I didn't even know he was a ***boater until we started e-mailing each other:D
~Ty

INEEDAV
03-18-2004, 06:00 AM
Glad I could help Ty.
Billy

126driver
03-18-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by INEEDAV
Paypal beats a hot check or no means of recourse should the buyer or seller turn out to be a piece of $hit as in the "seller" in my case.
Yeah, you're right. I'm just pissed because I'm waiting for a transfer from my paypal account to hit my regular account and I hate waiting. :wink:

superdave013
03-18-2004, 09:01 AM
my beef with paypal is the charges.
They are owned by e bay. E bay charges you a listing fee and final value fee. I have no problem with that.
I have a personal paypal account so i can not take credit cards. But paypal pretty much does everything they can to get the buyer's to pay via credit cards. When that happens I have to decline their payment or upgrade to a paypal premmier (sp) account. Well if I was to do that I will then get charged 2.9% + 0.30 on all incomming money credit cards or not! Add that to the ebay listing fees / final value fees and it's getting out of hand if you ask me.

INEEDAV
03-18-2004, 09:05 AM
I honestly did not realize that Dave, guess I should read the fine print, huh.

126driver
03-18-2004, 10:08 AM
I had to upgrade to the premier account to accept a $1500 payment and got banged for the 2.9%. I should have had the guy mail me a money order. :mad:

Fiat48
04-02-2004, 11:07 PM
Dear valued customer,
Our records indicate that you haven't submited the correct information to updateyour account. Please re-update your account. You HAVE to fill all the tabs in the form.
Do not respond to this email, as your reply will not be received. If you would liketo update your eBay account please use this link:
[
Thank you for your patience in this matter.
Regards, Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)
eBay Inc