PDA

View Full Version : Mantra Hull & Pump Question ???

MidnightMantra
03-10-2004, 09:07 AM
Over the winter I purchased two 18 ft Mantra's. My chevy powered Mantra has a Dominator pump with an "A" cut impeller. It has recently been rebuilt and I have just completed my 468 BBC Tall Deck Stoker/Roller to push it. The new motor desktop Dyno'd at 749hp at 6500rpm's. In reality probobly around 650hp. Anyhow my question is I am looking for help on what I should put on the rear of the pump. I am looking at "The Snoot" from Hi-Tech and a place diverter to go with it. I am new to Jet Boating and don't know anything about this hull, weight, characteristics of the Mantra's. Does anyone know anything about them? Doesn't seem like there are many around. I have learned alot from these threads and any suggestions will be most helpfull on making my decision on what I need to gain for performance. Snoot, No Snoot, Diverter????? Picture of boat when I purchased it is attached.

stump
03-10-2004, 03:18 PM
contact tim speer at pro boat he has the mantra molds and still builds them he may have some info ,www.proboatinc.com

MidnightMantra
03-10-2004, 03:40 PM
thanks alot, heck, thats two hours away from me. I appreciate the info.

Jet City
03-10-2004, 08:22 PM
Hey MM, that Mantra is exactly the same as my Sleekcraft Sportster (even the bubble shape and transom spoiler), I beleive both of these are a splash of the Southwind (from the rub-rail down), Oldrigger or someone else could verify this. You'll probably find more handling and set-up info on Southwind as they were really popular back in the day (and heavily copied). For what its worth, I've been told these hulls are very stable below 80-85 mph, but become nervous beyond that point.
Scott

MidnightMantra
03-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Nervous beyond 85mph? WOW, Meaning the boat is too much out of the water maybe? I was hoping to reach that goal with my engine setup. So this hull is not designed to run any faster than that without being safe? What kind of un-stable problems have you heard about these style hulls?