PDA

View Full Version : 28' V- Bottom

Kid Mex.
03-10-2004, 11:28 AM
Been Lurking for a long time and have a couple of questions. I have been looking to purchase a 28 V-Hull. I have narrowed it down to DCB, Eliminator and Ultra. I want to do the 496 HO just because I figure the money upgrade for the HP 500 or 525 is not justified and I rather shell out the 8k for the whipple. I am planning on getting the XR drive with dual Hydrolic steering and open bow. What speeds can I expect from the 496 HO? I have the money to go with the 500-525 but I feel the money is better spent on the HO whipple but if I get either the 500 or 525 I won't whipple the motor. Thanks for your help.

HavasuDreamin'
03-10-2004, 11:33 AM
I won't be of much help, but from reading the boards, it appears the only whipple kit for the 496 is limited to 3.5psi. With a 525, you have more options.......5 psi set-up, etc. If it were me, I would shell out more money up front for a stronger motor (not necessarily a Merc) rather than putting a small kit on the 496.
Good Luck

carbonmarine
03-10-2004, 11:47 AM
GO SUNSATION ! .....Call dave hare at the factory
www.sunsationboats.com
Their 28ft has it ALL over those whom youve mentioned....Dont take it from me... read Hot Boat & Power Boat Reviews...
Rick32
:cool:

OGShocker
03-10-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Kid Mex.
Been Lurking for a long time and have a couple of questions. I have been looking to purchase a 28 V-Hull. I have narrowed it down to DCB, Eliminator and Ultra. I want to do the 496 HO just because I figure the money upgrade for the HP 500 or 525 is not justified and I rather shell out the 8k for the whipple. I am planning on getting the XR drive with dual Hydrolic steering and open bow. What speeds can I expect from the 496 HO? I have the money to go with the 500-525 but I feel the money is better spent on the HO whipple but if I get either the 500 or 525 I won't whipple the motor. Thanks for your help.
First,,, Look at Dana 27 it is an ALL BOAT 27, not 25 plus swim step.. (sorry I had to pimp)
To whipple the 496 HO is not a bolt on dealio. The top end needs re-work including new pistons that would add at least couple of grand to your cost.
My Dana 27' is a honest 65 MPH boat on GPS. I run a stock 496. I have a chance to buy a newly built 496 whippled 650 plus HP with all the right parts for a song. Should push ours to 75/80 range... my guess..
Good luck on what ever you decide and remember DRIVE IT before you buy it..
OGS

DaveSunsation
03-10-2004, 12:12 PM
Kid Mex,
If you'd like a complete information package on Sunsation and our world-class 288 send me an email with mailing address to david@sunsationboats.com and I'll get it UPS'd out to you right quick. In the meantime checkout our web-site at www.sunsationboats.com. We also have a dealer in Southern California, Castaic Boat & Marine (661-257-4140) that has a couple of awesome boats in stock as well to check out.
Please feel free to call anytime.
David Hare
Chief Operating Officer
Sunsation Powerboats
810-794-4888

roln 20s
03-10-2004, 12:51 PM
I would think with a 28 DCB openbow with the 496HO (Powerboat tested the 496 at 68mph, closed bow) you might see 70 on a perfect day, and probably the same with the Eliminator. I think that with the Ultra, you can expect to be slower than the other two, my guess is around mid 60s. If you have the money, don't hesitate, get the HP500 or HP525. They pull hard in the midrange, and even though they are alot more money, its money well spent. Plus, its been talked about on numerous sites, the 525 seems to be putting out near 525 or 550hp, not what its rated for- just something to remember. I don't think a whipple 496 is the right way to go IMO.
I know you said you narrowed it down to the three above, but I would definately look at the 28 Bullet by Howard. Its a must see, plus Sportboat of the Year 2 of the last 3 years. They make one of the best boats around. I've asked the same question about speed, etc... with this package, and apparently they have 2 out there (in the midwest) that are running high 60's with the 496 HO and the cuddy/openbow.
As for the openbow 28 with the HP500, check to see what Keith E Sayre said about his experience- BTW, he works for Conquest.
Heres the pic of the boat he is referring too:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/508/1419Howard_28_Bullet_1-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40510&highlight=howard (http://)
When you are talking this much $$$, I would definately look at these boats. All of those mentioned above are nice too, but I think you will find this boat to be a stand out, and worth every penny.
Roln 20s

welk2party
03-10-2004, 01:37 PM
I have a 28 Eliminator cat with the 496HO. I had the same rationale as you when I bought it. Come to find out, the motor needs about another 5k in work to make the whipple a good choice. The good news is that the HP numbers are going to go way up. The bad news is it is not as cheap as I was lead to believe.
I am currently considering a whole new motor and swiping the marine parts.

Scream
03-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Kid Mex,
I'm no gear head, but I've read plenty of posts here and elsewhere that asked that same question and all have answered go for the bigger motor off the bat, you'll be happier in the end with the product. Also, my new boat has the 496 HO which I'm happy with, but it does not have a good reputation for mods like the HP500 et. al. which is ok for me but doesn't sound like a good fit for you. Just my observation.

BoatFloating
03-10-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by roln 20s
I would think with a 28 DCB openbow with the 496HO (Powerboat tested the 496 at 68mph, closed bow) you might see 70 on a perfect day, and probably the same with the Eliminator. I think that with the Ultra, you can expect to be slower than the other two, my guess is around mid 60s. If you have the money, don't hesitate, get the HP500 or HP525. They pull hard in the midrange, and even though they are alot more money, its money well spent. Plus, its been talked about on numerous sites, the 525 seems to be putting out near 525 or 550hp, not what its rated for- just something to remember. I don't think a whipple 496 is the right way to go IMO.
I know you said you narrowed it down to the three above, but I would definately look at the 28 Bullet by Howard. Its a must see, plus Sportboat of the Year 2 of the last 3 years. They make one of the best boats around. I've asked the same question about speed, etc... with this package, and apparently they have 2 out there (in the midwest) that are running high 60's with the 496 HO and the cuddy/openbow.
As for the openbow 28 with the HP500, check to see what Keith E Sayre said about his experience- BTW, he works for Conquest.
Heres the pic of the boat he is referring too:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/508/1419Howard_28_Bullet_1-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40510&highlight=howard (http://)
When you are talking this much $$$, I would definately look at these boats. All of those mentioned above are nice too, but I think you will find this boat to be a stand out, and worth every penny.
Roln 20s
Roln, I knew some how you would slide in the Howard pimp!:wink:
If I was looking for a 28' V bottom the Howard Bullet would be hands down, no doubt and call it done choice. Call Mike Willen and tell him Rocky sent you. Heck he might raise the price.:D :wink:

Ducatista
03-10-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Good boats... :) Bad dealer (Castaic Marine) :(
RD Just curious....did you have a bad experience with them? The first boat my wife & I bought was a FourWinns 205 from Castaic Boats in 1988 from Jack the owner I believe. I have not been there in a long time. He had some new Nordic's on the lot the last time I was there(probably 5 or so years ago) he was trying to sell.

roln 20s
03-10-2004, 02:25 PM
If I was looking for a 28' V bottom the Howard Bullet would be hands down, no doubt and call it done choice. Call Mike Willen and tell him Rocky sent you. Heck he might raise the price.
BF- as you know, I totally agree. I have been to the LA Show 2 of the past 3 years, and I look at the Howards, walk and check out everything else, and end up back at Howard--I am done looking, I've decided. Now I just need a little more green $$$.
Roln 20s

jackpunx
03-10-2004, 02:26 PM
More Green!?.. your ready.. go order yours now.. :D

Kid Mex.
03-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Thanks for all of your reply's!! How much of a difference does the internal cooling do against the water cooling i.e. HP 500 v HP 525

carbonmarine
03-10-2004, 05:26 PM
IF you run in salt water that means you only have to flush the drives & wipe down well ... Otherwise if you run in only fresh water , not much of a biggie excpet to say if you get a pebble
or grass cought in you water implellors, etc..... The only differnce really is the HP of ea motor you are comparing ...
I run 500EFI's in salt and fresh... alsways change my implellors twice a year and flush .... I run great especially withe the sunsation hull - Its sexy like two smok'in hot teenage lesbo's !
Rick

SoCalOffshore
03-10-2004, 08:01 PM
525 all the way. I got 2! They are way under rated on HP.

roln 20s
03-12-2004, 08:02 AM
Kidmex- what are your thoughts now...you ready to go buy one of these!
Roln 20s

Steamin' Rice
03-12-2004, 08:23 AM
Regardless of what boat you end up with, if you have the $$ to got with the 500 or 525EFI you should do it.

bigq
03-12-2004, 08:29 AM
I would agree with the Howard slut and go for a bullet. I would also look at other engine options like RiverDave said. i know Ultra has used the GM Vortech Motor that is 550HP I believe, but there is many other options.

Laveyman
03-12-2004, 08:35 AM
I'm a diehard Lavey fan, and when I step up next time, I've gotta agree with Roln 20s, the 28 Bullet is gonna be hard to beat in that size range.
As far as engines go, the Teague 800 motor/outdrive package costs the manufacturers only $5,000 more than they pay to buy a HP525 package from Merc, and that is straight from the mouth of Bob Teague. For the extra five grand you're getting 300+ more HP. That's a bargain in my book any day!

roln 20s
03-12-2004, 09:49 AM
laveyman-
I saw you posted that same $ figure on the HP 525/ whipple thread. Is that his 10-71 blower motor or his new low pro whipple motor. If this is the case, either way these would be good choices, but I would love to have the low pro whipple EFI motor. that is a great price. Whats that motor price, around 30-35K plus the outdrive? Is that the Teague Platinum outdrive? I know these custom builders are becoming very competitive with Merc, and not because they lower their prices, only because Merc has jacked their up. Good thought on the motor upgrades.
Kidmex-go with the Howard and I bet GT will give you a great deal on one of his TP600 EFI motors. This is approx a 20-23K motor, not bad for a 600hp EFI fits under the hatch motor. Something else to think about.
If everyone seems to love these Bullets so much, why don't we see more of them around Havasu. Midwest and East are starting to buy these things like no tomorrow.
Roln 20s

Laveyman
03-12-2004, 10:56 AM
This price was for their new fire-breathing, Whippled EFI monster. Because I was looking to put the package in a new boat, Bob Teague wouldn't give me an exact price on the package. Basically, you cannot buy his pacakge direct from him without a signed letter from the manufacturer if you plan to put it in a new boat. This is done to protect his realtionships with the boat manufacturers. If you are re-powering a current boat, then you must buy it retail from him. I didn't ask what this price was because it didn't apply to me.
What Bob told me was this; Find out what your builder is going to charge you for the boat with an HP525 in it. Then tack on an additional five grand, because the manufacturer's actual cost on his 800EFI with drive is five grand over what they pay for the HP 525 package. If they're charging you more, they are pocketing the difference.