PDA

View Full Version : Which boat?

Eric1969
09-12-2001, 06:38 AM
I am looking into purchasing a new boat within the next year or so and would love some general opinions. I want a boat that can handle large waves/wakes on an inland lake in GA, wish to ski and tube, want maximum top speed , and the boat has to be extremly reliable.
I have my choices narrowed down to a Cobalt 206, Checkmate Persuader 218 bow rider, and a Baja Islander 212.
I would truly appreciate any comments or opinions on these boats.
I also am very aware that with everything that happened yesterday, this probably is the last thing on peoples' minds (it is a low priority of mine right now). However, I personally need something else to think about for a little bit.
Thank You

phillyray
09-13-2001, 10:59 AM
The Ckeckmate's I see out here on the N.E. Coast take a serious beating. There owners seem to love em! Very solid well made boat. I had a friend who had a 1998 Baja Hammer. He thought it was a piece of crap! That boat had a lot of issue's I seem to recall.

Eric1969
09-13-2001, 11:28 AM
Phillyray-
What do you mean by take a beating? I am assuming you mean beating due to wake size. Thanks for the input.

phillyray
09-13-2001, 11:51 AM
Thats correct,wake and the such. I've seen Checkmates jump Tugg boat wakes of of massive size, hell I've been in them at that time. Walk across the deck, rock solid kick the sides or hull, ya can break your foot! Another friend has a Baja Hammer....YUK!!! I've herd some ok things about Colbolt. But not like CM.
[This message has been edited by phillyray (edited September 13, 2001).]

Dave1972
09-13-2001, 12:02 PM
Hey Eric,
I had a Checkmate Vision 221 DLX and it was a very sturdy boat. The construction is very solid and strong. Did all of my boating in the midwest (WI,IL,MO) and crossed many many barge wakes on the Mississippi River without even thinking twice (ok..at least not about the boat handling it). Also took the boat down to Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri during holiday weekends....it took a beating but handled everything thrown at it very well. I would definitely buy a Checkmate over any of the boats you've mentioned.

Eric1969
09-14-2001, 05:16 AM
Dave,
What type of Checkmate was the Vision 221 DLX? Was it an I/O or Outboard? What was it powered with?
Thanks for the information. I find it very interesting the difference responses I get when I post this question on different sites. When I ask this question to people who own manufactured boats (Four Winns, Sea Ray, Cobalt) I get the opposite response. They say go with the Cobalt. I wonder why? I guess you stay with what you know.

Dave1972
09-14-2001, 11:22 AM
Eric,
My boat was powered with a 350mag mercruiser with an alpha drive. Ran about 60-62 with full fuel and other boating "crap". And yes, I have found that the responses are varied and if you like what you have...why not buy another one? Although I would have to say that I am still partial to checkmate. I have an eliminator that is perfect in every way and will probably buy another one as I like their lines. Given your manufacturer list, I would buy a checkmate every time over the others. History, styling, and workmanship are very VERY good with checkmate...I don't think that their "graphics" are as up to date as some of the west coast manufacturers, but I would say that their build quality is just as good if not better! My $.02 again like usual!

Eric1969
09-17-2001, 09:27 AM
Dave,
Thanks again for the input. I don't know if I trust your information because you are in education and everyone knows that teachers try to brainwash their students!!! Just kidding, of course.
Is your Eliminator used for skiing,ect? If this is a stupid question, just ignore.

Dave1972
09-17-2001, 01:55 PM
Eric,
I have used it for tubing and skiing. It's not worth a darn for slalom skiing as it puts out a decent wake at slower speeds. It would be a great boat for wakeboarding! And no..I'm not a teacher trying to brainwash...I work in the business function of a college...even worse...I try to take your $$$ any way I can!!!

Eric1969
09-18-2001, 07:49 AM
I think you owe me some $$$, my college tuition was too high.
I could solve your slalom problem - speed your boat up to about 60mph. I'll bet the wake is alot smaller then!!!!!

FIREMAN
09-19-2001, 01:52 AM
http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/jump05.gif

Reckless288
10-01-2001, 10:20 PM
My last boat was a 230SX StingRay with a 502MAG. This boat was a 72mph GPS boat that could out turn any boat out there. The looks of a rocket performance boat and when I switched the Corsa Silent-Choice on it became a ski/tube pulling animal that sounded like a 4cyl in a Sea-Ray...Flick the switch again and it was bad to the bone... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif
Rick
288 Sunsation www.homestead.com/homepage.html (http://www.homestead.com/homepage.html)