PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear

Lightning
03-10-2004, 12:08 PM
I heading up to Big Bear this weekend for a little r&r. Everyone always says to "take the back road, it's way easier."
Does it really make that much of a difference?
Coming from San Diego, what's the best way to do that?

-Nezrik-
03-10-2004, 12:21 PM
I grew up in big bear. Drove that mountain many many times. It really doesnt matter which road you take. Its what you want to look at. YOu want to look at the desert? Then go through Lucerne. Want to see trees? Take highway 330 or 38. 38 traditionally has less traffic, but is a bit longer of a drive.

Outnumbered
03-10-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Lightning
I heading up to Big Bear this weekend for a little r&r. Everyone always says to "take the back road, it's way easier."
Does it really make that much of a difference?
Coming from San Diego, what's the best way to do that?
The back road (there are two--Forest Falls or Lucerne Valley) both have less curves but are both quite a bit longer. If you are in no hurry Forest Falls/Hwy 38 is a scenic drive that takes you up over 8,000 elevation.
Its faster to come up Hwy 330/18 thru Highland, Running Springs, Arrowbear, and onto Big Bear. Lots of curves but also scenic and the shortest route.
OL

Scream
03-10-2004, 12:27 PM
There's two "front" ways into Big Bear, and one "Back" way. the Back way is through Lucerne. Count the teeth (tooth) as you drive through lol. two front ways are through Mentone (Hwy 38)and past the Mill Creek Ranger district up thorough San Gornonio wilderness. Great drive. Second front way is from Highland and HWY 30/330 through Running Springs, Arrowbear, etc. Lots more people here.

TrojanDan
03-10-2004, 12:47 PM
I went skiing to Snow Summit last Friday (awesome conditions with no wait at the lifts) and came home down the 30/330?? through Running Springs and into Highland around 4:30pm. It was pretty close to bumper to bumper all the way going UP the hill, I was glad I was coming down.
I would definitely use the Redlands route, I believe it's the 38, if you are going up anytime during traffic hours.
Lots of snow on the resort mountains.
:cool:

superdave013
03-10-2004, 01:04 PM
I scoot up the 330.
Hope that snow melts soon. My downhill bike is ready to go!

Outnumbered
03-10-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by TrojanDan
I went skiing to Snow Summit last Friday (awesome conditions with no wait at the lifts) and came home down the 30/330?? through Running Springs and into Highland around 4:30pm. It was pretty close to bumper to bumper all the way going UP the hill, I was glad I was coming down.
I would definitely use the Redlands route, I believe it's the 38, if you are going up anytime during traffic hours.
Lots of snow on the resort mountains.
:cool:
Good point. Hwy 18 is still detoured due to mud slides a few months ago. Lots of locals are using 330 instead of 18. Combine this with the Friday weekend traffic and it sucks. But any other time its the faster route.
OL