PDA

View Full Version : Electric Hatch Actuator

Waldo
03-10-2004, 08:46 PM
I am in the market to buy one. However, what happens if my boat loses power and I need to get into the engine compartment? I have heard the hydraulic ones have a valve of some sort....reading the other thread about someone removing the hinges because theirs crapped out got me thinking. Is there a way to open the hatch w/o power?

1stepcloser
03-10-2004, 08:52 PM
I have an access hole behind the rear seat cushion in front of the actuator.
If power is lost, or the actuator fails, just pull the cushion, stick your hand through the hole and pull the actuator pin.:)

Waldo
03-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Are you talking about a quick release pin at the bottom mount?

Havasu Hangin'
03-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Last resort- pull the hatch hinge pins.

1stepcloser
03-10-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Waldo
Are you talking about a quick release pin at the bottom mount?
Yes...and no.
Yes it's a quick release pin, but its on the top of the ram.
Evenin' HH.

Waldo
03-10-2004, 08:59 PM
HH, that's what I don't want to do...is there an easier way?

Waldo
03-10-2004, 09:00 PM
1step, thanks...figure you reach in and up to do that right?

Havasu Hangin'
03-10-2004, 09:02 PM
HH, that's what I don't want to do...is there an easier way?
Plug a charger into your cigarette lighter. Also, some newer installs have an emergency plug to run the ram.

1stepcloser
03-10-2004, 09:07 PM
1step, thanks...figure you reach in and up to do that right?
Well, yeah, it's really no drama, I've had to di it a few times over the years....
HH has a pretty good idear as well
Originally posted by HH:
Plug a charger into your cigarette lighter. Also, some newer installs have an emergency plug to run the ram.

Waldo
03-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Thanks - I don't have a cig lighter but will probably add one. I carry a jumper box thing under one of the seats.

Havasu Hangin'
03-10-2004, 09:10 PM
Thanks - I don't have a cig lighter but will probably add one. I carry a jumper box thing under one of the seats.
You could just hook it up behind your dash- positive to the fuse box, and the negative on the steering column. Should be enough to open the hatch.

Waldo
03-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the replies!!! I can't wait to put the ram on my boat. :D :D :D :D
I like the cig lighter idear (as 1step would say) behind the dash. Out of the way and useful. I can also plug a blender, light, or other toys into it as well... :D :D :D :D

Jetdriver
03-11-2004, 10:43 AM
If you look at Eddie Marines website you will see that they have a top mount for the ram that will allow you to lift the hatch 4 or 5 inches to get to the pin in case of power failure. Im thinking that would be the best route. Check it out!

Waldo
03-11-2004, 11:50 AM
What do you guys think of the hatch actuator "accelerator box"??? Do you have them and do they really make if faster and longer lasting for the actuator???