PDA

View Full Version : 496 mag ho

faster1
08-06-2002, 07:47 PM
I have a 25 outlaw I run around 68-69mph with the 496 mag HO. I'd like to run in the 80+ range. What should I do? Anyone have any experience with this new engine - pro chargers, super chargers etc. What can I expect for a mph increase with these options? Any suggestions would be helpful.

baja25sst
08-11-2002, 06:11 PM
I have a 2002 Baja 25 Outlaw SST with the 496mag ho also. I changed out the exhaust tips and went straight through, added a K& N air filter and noticed no changes at all. I am running about 66 on gps. Glad to hear yours is running so well.
I called the people at www.procharger.com (http://www.procharger.com) and they sent an entire package with prices. I am going to purchase shortly but with the low boost 3lb as I think they said the 5lb is not ready yet but the 3lb will be able to be upgraded shortly. I really thought I would be running a little faster but I run down here on the Gulf Coast in 4-5 ft seas daily!!! The extra weight in this boat is a pleasure on those days.

BoatFloating
08-22-2002, 09:11 AM
The Procharger is a great system. I put it on my 496HO and picked up 15mph from 65 to 80mph. This is on a cat. On a V bottom you should see at least 10mph. The 5lb system is now ready. I'm going to stick with the 3lb for a couple years.

cougar27mtr
08-27-2002, 07:45 AM
I heard they were having problem with breaking pistons on the HO with the procharger system.. Does anyone know if they fixed this. I heard something about whipple reprogramming the computer which might help.. any ideas?
cougar27mtr

502procharger
08-27-2002, 10:41 AM
CHECK THIS OUT A USED SYSTEM FOR A 496. YOU COULD SAVE 3000.00 GOOD LUCK
http://www.offshoreonly.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi
GO TO PARTS AND ACCESSORIES
[ August 27, 2002, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: 502procharger ]

Whipple Charged
08-30-2002, 01:05 PM
We have a couple of packages available in the next few weeks, we have a naturally aspirated performance calibration with a new K&N style flame arrestor which makes approx. 445hp, then we have a package setup with CMI exhaust, filter, performance cal that makes approx. 470 hp, then we have a new camshaft, cal, CMI and filter that makes 525hp. Of course we then have a supercharger system that makes approx. 625hp, we have not finished the SC with CMI's yet, that is being tested. We can also just modify the rev limiters. You should never do any mods to the stock motors without proper ECU recalibration, no matter what anybody tells you!!
Thanks,
Dustin

RiverToysJas
08-30-2002, 04:31 PM
Whipple Charged:
You should never do any mods to the stock motors without proper ECU recalibration, no matter what anybody tells you!!Would that include going to headers over stock 496 exhaust?
thanks.

shockwaveharry
09-03-2002, 10:29 AM
RiverToysJas:
[QUOTE]...Would that include going to headers over stock 496 exhaust?
thanks.It worked for me. I was willing to take the risk because when I did install the exhaust, absolutely NO ONE had any experience with that motor. I didn't want to wait. Granted, I didn't have unlimited dyno time at my disposal to test and record every cyl's EGT's at every RPM, but, I was conservitive, I only changed one thing, checked plugs after high speed runs for the first few hours till I was satisfied with the results, and I knew I was dealing with a rich running engine to begin with. I have a small, light boat and don't hang with the long distance, high speed poker run croud.
If I was Whipple Charged, I'd give the same advise. He took the time and spent the bucks to make sure that the product he sells makes your boat go faster and stay together so you don't have to worry about it.
I, on the other hand, just pass along the knowledge I have gained myself. I don't have to warranty what I post but I don't conciously give bad advise either. Isn't that what the board is all about? :)

Whipple Charged
09-03-2002, 12:24 PM
The headers make the motor run leaner, which is not lean enough to hurt parts with a stock motor unless the motor runs up in water temp a bit, run 87 octane fuel, etc. so under normal circumstances, its not going to fry the motor, especially on short runs. I could see problems coming about in severly under powered boats that are fully under big loads. The knock system will reduce the spark output and richen the cylinders up slightly. So the best way is to get more fuel into the system to maximize power. The stock sensors must be used though, they cannot be removed.
As for stock running rich, under WOT, the motor is not rich, it's nearly 12:1 which is perfect for a NA marine motor. You'll see a bit of black on the plugs and transom, but that's at idle, sometimes part throttle, aslo during it's start up mode.
Thanks,
Dustin