PDA

View Full Version : How bout this one...walk through VS cuddy open bow.

Mandelon
03-10-2004, 08:50 PM
How much of a pain is it to get through the mid cabin? I can think of several times when I have had to jump forward to ward off of a dock or another boat. A mid cabin might make that harder.
But I can see some advantages too.....Anyone had both and what do you think?

rivercrazy
03-10-2004, 08:53 PM
It really depends on the boat. Some cuddy/opens are very easy to negotiate. Others are tough.
I'm more of a cuddy/open fan. Looks better, more structural integrity, an area to get out of the sun, and a great place to mount stereo gear (and a place for a quickie!)

Mandelon
03-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Ha! Now you're talkin!!! Maybe even a "slowie" :D :D

Havasu Hangin'
03-10-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
How much of a pain is it to get through the mid cabin? I can think of several times when I have had to jump forward to ward off of a dock or another boat. A mid cabin might make that harder.
But I can see some advantages too.....Anyone had both and what do you think?
Don't run into anything.

HavasuDreamin'
03-11-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Don't run into anything.
Exactly what I was thinking. :D

CARGUY
03-11-2004, 08:48 AM
I have a 26 lavey and the cuddy is easy to deal with. The biggest boat Lavey will do a walk through on is a 24 because of the structural issues. After having a cuddy I have no desire to change.

jbtrailerjim
03-11-2004, 09:46 AM
I prefer the cuddy/open. I have two small children, so the mid cabin comes in handy when the kid's wanna get out of the sun. The opening to get to the front is kinda tight in my Ultra and it would not be very ideal for a larger person.

OGShocker
03-11-2004, 03:01 PM
Most 23's I have been on are walk throughs. Our 27 cuddy is pretty easy and I am 6.1' 210 lbs.
I am affraid I'd get stuck in a 23 foot cuddy and you fockers would laugh and throw s**t at me!:D So, I would have to say walk through.

surfer2001
03-11-2004, 09:46 PM
I've had both & IMO the mid cabin is nice for "special times" but both of my boats were 25 footers & the walk through had a much larger open bow seating area. Both had seating for 10, but who wants to sit in the cabin while underway? On the other hand, I try to limit my guest to 6 or 7. I’m over being camp leader. My Nordic is easy to get through as long as you’re not over 6 foot tall. I like my Nordic so much, having the cabin is just a bonus.

BOBALOO
03-11-2004, 09:50 PM
I like the way walk thru's look but the 25' cuddy open I have is pretty easy to get thru. The Lavey was a little tighter and I think the shockwave was the best.
Oh yeah I am only 5'7" and 155# so I fit every boat.:D
IMHO the best use of the cuddy is to keep the three ice chests out of the sun,install stereo equip,and there is an opening there that leads under the open bow that is perfect for wakeboards and foldie chairs.
If you can, get a ride in a cuddy, I bet nobody will want to ride down there for long. If you go to RWYB I'll be there if you wanna check it out.
25' is the minimum size for a cuddy.

Mandelon
03-11-2004, 11:53 PM
good info..........

THOR
03-12-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by BOBALOO
I like the way walk thru's look but the 25' cuddy open I have is pretty easy to get thru. The Lavey was a little tighter and I think the shockwave was the best.
Oh yeah I am only 5'7" and 155# so I fit every boat.:D
IMHO the best use of the cuddy is to keep the three ice chests out of the sun,install stereo equip,and there is an opening there that leads under the open bow that is perfect for wakeboards and foldie chairs.
If you can, get a ride in a cuddy, I bet nobody will want to ride down there for long. If you go to RWYB I'll be there if you wanna check it out.
25' is the minimum size for a cuddy.
I did the exact same thing. I just recently order a new Ultra and had them take out the cuddy, make ice chest cut outs on one side with a bitchin cover and a storage space on the other side. Plus they will cover the step down portion and make that a ski locker.
THOR <-- very happy with the walk through

Mandelon
03-12-2004, 06:34 PM
What sid you order Thor, the 24'?

mtndewdrops
03-13-2004, 10:01 PM
Go for the Open Bow all the way...IF you are any where near 6' tall, a mid cuddy is difficult to negotiate. Who said that you can't have "Special Times" in an Open Bow? Just find a secluded cove and you are good to go.