PDA

View Full Version : mb quart speakers

Essex29
03-11-2004, 06:09 AM
Has anybody used these speakers? Likes/Dislikes?
mbquart (http://mbquart.com/2003/en_US/products/prod_detail.asp?isArchive=&cat=auto&series=nautic%20series&strt=1&model=QM+160%2E19)

Havasu Hangin'
03-11-2004, 06:57 AM
Those are pretty much the same speakers I have in my boat (mine are separates, though).
Great speakers. I can't figure out how they take so much abuse, handle so much power...and keep on sounding clear as a bell.
I'm gonna up them to 150 watts RMS each in a couple weeks...then we'll see if they scream for mercy.

KC_Nelson
03-11-2004, 07:02 AM
You might have a hard time finding them, specialty item of low production. Just installed the QM 218.61 into the bench seat of the Nordic, the sound quality is amazing but most of that comes from the bench seat being a very good sound chamber. Bought them off of eBay last year.

KC_Nelson
03-11-2004, 07:04 AM
This is a picture of one side of the bench.

KC_Nelson
03-11-2004, 07:28 AM
Another pic of the bench seat as I was cleaning up.

ROZ
03-11-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by KC_Nelson
You might have a hard time finding them, specialty item of low production.
Like all mfg's who produce both car and marin speakers, they are not produced in equal numbers. They are not hard to find though... As with the Alpine STM666 and Infinity Kappa marine speakers, I have yet to hear a valid compliant about the Nautic line...
Originally posted by KC_Nelson
Just installed the QM 218.61 into the bench seat of the Nordic, the sound quality is amazing but most of that comes from the bench seat being a very good sound chamber. Bought them off of eBay last year.
Now the 218Q's you have there haven't been made in a while. The new series is QSD... You're only going to find them on ebay or at a mom and pop shop hat may still have a set collecting dust in the back. They also made a version of that speaker in the Premium line. Al Cole holic has a pair of those run as coaxial in his boat and they rock!
Why did you install them in the bench :confused: I hope you have a similar grade speaker in the side panels....

Essex29
03-11-2004, 08:38 AM
Realistically how many of the 160.19's would you need/want to really be happy?
90% sure that it would be for a deckboat, but 10% chance it might be for a 26-28 open bow/cuddy.
Why do they come with those black box lookin crossovers and not the one's in the clear box? Is there a better way to control their frequency?
How about the Mb Quart 218.19 series...I have 2 pairs of the 6 1/2, but I dont have the tweeter, can I do anything with them?
hey Roz, Do you have a hookup on the white nautic grills? Old style not the new plastic new one.

KC_Nelson
03-11-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by ROZ
Why did you install them in the bench :confused: I hope you have a similar grade speaker in the side panels....
Nordic places one set of Clarions in the bench, my original plan was to only replace those with the MB. After mounting the first set of MB in the bench the bass came through pretty good, figured more is better and cut the holes for the second set. Nordic has the fuel tanks on the sides so speakers can not be mounted on the side panels without more effort than I wanted.
My objective has been towards quality sound without adding subs, obtained my objective. Now I want to replace the one set of Clarions in the mid cabin with an additional two sets of MBs, but no cash for the project until next winter.

rivercrazy
03-11-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
I'm gonna up them to 150 watts RMS each in a couple weeks...then we'll see if they scream for mercy.
Its not installed yet? Lazy! :D

PerfectionDtail
03-11-2004, 09:08 AM
I have MB Quart NKD 116. They scream! Very happy with them.

ROZ
03-11-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by TheGreyGoose
Realistically how many of the 160.19's would you need/want to really be happy?
90% sure that it would be for a deckboat, but 10% chance it might be for a 26-28 open bow/cuddy.
I think 4 pair is a good start...
Why do they come with those black box lookin crossovers and not the one's in the clear box? Is there a better way to control their frequency?
The clear crossovers are for seperates. There are different tweeter settings. 0db, -3db, and -6db.....DEpending on how your seperate is mounted, located, or utilized the settings can be changed... For example: I'm adding another pair of tweeters to up high on my dash in my pickup to help sweeten the imaging. If I ran them at 0db they would be way too overbaring up top. I'll set them at -6db to give just enough volume to help bring the sound to where I want it.
Because you really don't need to mess with such settings in a coaxial application, they cross them over an seal it up...
How about the Mb Quart 218.19 series...I have 2 pairs of the 6 1/2, but I dont have the tweeter, can I do anything with them?
THat's the setup that HH has.... If you still have the crossovers, you can add any of the tweeters MB or any other company offers... They come disassembled, so you can paint the grill and bezel white...
hey Roz, Do you have a hookup on the white nautic grills? Old style not the new plastic new one. I can have a parts guy order them if they're available... The plastic ones on the new models screw down... Benefit is that they won't pop off when under way...

KC_Nelson
03-11-2004, 02:55 PM
ROZ thanks for your replys, educational.

Jetdriver
03-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Hey ROZ! Remember a week or so back I was asking you about grills for speakers? Well these MB's are the same as what I have. I need a grill! Got any?

ROZ
03-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
Hey ROZ! Remember a week or so back I was asking you about grills for speakers? Well these MB's are the same as what I have. I need a grill! Got any?
Which one? The Qm160.19 , QM218.19, Qm218.61, or the NKD116? :D
I don't have grills lain around. I can always order them for anyone who needs em:)

Essex29
03-11-2004, 05:22 PM
So let me get this straight...
Can I use the clear crossover on the 218.19's? Will I benefit anything if I just use the 6 1/2 and not add a tweeter...more midbass? Is it worth it?
On the grill's can you get me a price for 4 pair?
Has anyone ever painted the white frame of the speakers? How did it turn out?

ROZ
03-11-2004, 05:44 PM
So let me get this straight...
Can I use the clear crossover on the 218.19's? Will I benefit anything if I just use the 6 1/2 and not add a tweeter...more midbass? Is it worth it?
On the grill's can you get me a price for 4 pair?
Has anyone ever painted the white frame of the speakers? How did it turn out?
If you have the 6.5's with the crosovers, you can add them to your system. You'll get more midbass, but will also bring your impedance down..
What do you think HH, would you add an extra driver to your component setup? :D
Grills for the 218 6.5? I can ask my parts guy to check on it tomorrow...

Havasu Hangin'
03-11-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
What do you think HH, would you add an extra driver to your component setup?
As per my usual advise...MORE IS BETTER.
Actually, since those tweeters are so bright, more mid-bass would probably be fine. I'm a big believer in an EQ...so you can always make adjustments as you go.

Essex29
03-11-2004, 07:29 PM
Thanks for all the help!!
I'll wait to hear from you on those grill's.

Jetdriver
03-11-2004, 09:05 PM
The 6.5 that is featured on the web page above. Thanks ROZ

ROZ
03-12-2004, 02:44 PM
~

BoatFloating
03-15-2004, 11:08 PM
Greygoose, just buy my boat and HH will tell you you won't have to worry about stereo.;)