PDA

View Full Version : F-250 Diesel vs. Chevy 2500HD Duramax

bear down
03-11-2004, 05:14 PM
Just wanted to get everyone's input and feedback. Here are my pro's and con's that I have right now. I currently have a 5.3l Chevy Tahoe '02 I need more HP/Torque for my trailer and toys.
Chevy 2500HD: Super Quiet Diesel and the interior is kick ass. Very nice inside and comfortable and looks like the Tahoe/suburban inside. Many interior features and awesome Bose system. Allison Transmission is awesome, you can feel the strength of the trany as you put the truck into gear. I hear the that Diesel is made by Izusu and is an aluminum block head. I has a second battery just to keep the glow plugs going. The exterior is nice but looks like a 1500. The tires are small and does not sit really high. The ride is very comfortable and has good pick up and go for a truck with a 4.10 ratio. It has 310 HP and 590ft. torque on it.
Ford F-250 Diesel- Looks awesome on the outside and has a good height and good looking stock tires. The diesel is super loud but sounds pretty wicked. The interior is very truckish with no real bells and whistles. The transmission feels weaker than the Chevy but the Diesel just seem more powerful because it sounds so damn loud. It's an internation motor with cast iron heads (so I think that is a pretty durable engine). The ride was very good and stable. I like the rancho shocks as stock shocks on this truck. My MP3 player plays louder than the stock stereo and the interior does it's job. It's a very meaty looking truck. Looks really nice on the outside.
Now let the games begin.

HammerDown
03-11-2004, 05:33 PM
So you think the Ford Diesel is loud! You should have herd the old IDI engines.
I'm a Ford guy true and true...and I have the older 7.3
But I wouldn't buy the 6.0 Diesel untill ALL the issues have been cleared up.

PHX ATC
03-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Personally, they still have some software issues with the Fod 6.0 liter diesel. It's an International engine with Ford proprietary software. Go figure. The Duramax is as good an engine as the 6.0 liter. Both are quiet in my opinion....:D
If it were me, right now, I'd opt for the Chevy 2500 HD crew cab, long bed, Duramax, Ally, 4x4. Either way, I'd get new rims and bolognas on them.
They're both good trucks and just depends upon which you like more. I think they're within $400 or so of each other too.

Jungle Boy
03-11-2004, 06:11 PM
I went from a 2000 F-250 Diesel to a 2001 K2500 back to a 2003 F-350 Diesel. It has the 7.3 engine. All were 4 door trucks. After having all that room in the Ford and going back to a GM, it was like going into a sub-compact unit. I got rid of the GM as fast as I could. I love the room and truck feel of the Fords. Sure, the GM have a nicer interior and nice ride, but it's a truck god danm it!! Take them for a test drive with 3 buddies and sit in the back seat with a cooler of beers. The choice will be obvious. :cool:
Oh ya, They all pull good. You'll not feel much torque difference unless you pull a big stock trailer around. For boats - they are all good.

twistedpair
03-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Let's See.... Given those two options................
I think I'll go buy a Dodge!!:D ;)

Mike67rs
The next gen Ford will be out in September for 2005. I am sure it will be much more refined, and maybe by then they will have the bugs worked out of the 6.0. You didn't mention Dodge. Dodge now has most power of the 3 with its 325HP/600 50 State legal Cummins

DeltaSigBoater
FORD all the way, but i agree the old 7.3 is and always will be better than the new 6.0, I wish I would of bought one before they stoped offering the 7.3. F-250/350's look bad ass all the way around, and personally I cannot stand the way the front grill looks on the chevys.

little rowe boat
03-11-2004, 06:32 PM
The Ford guys are going to say Ford and the Chevy guys will say Chevy.As long as you get a diesel you will be happy with either.:cool:

77charger
03-11-2004, 06:36 PM
If i were to buy a diesel i would go dodge cummins.I am a chevy person too
Chevy- i dont like the alm head since diesels basically detonate,
ford -lot of probs with the 6.0
IMO a 4.10 is great for a gas motor but fora diesel a taller gear is a better choice since diesels make most of their torque very low 2k and under.why run it at the ery top of its powerband?
I have a chevy with the 6.0 gasser and it has the 4.10s small tire and it spins like 2600 at 70(fine for a gas motor)

Lightning
03-11-2004, 06:49 PM
I'd go with the Chevy (that what I have). FYI - Unless you get the manual transmission, the rear end is 3.73 gears. Allison tranny kicks ass, interior is 10 times better than Ford. I bought mine, changed the wheels (no lift), upgraded the shocks to bilsteins and I am really happy with it.
As far as Ford: The 6.0 is a new motor and it's long term durability has not been seen yet, they have had a ton of problems so far. I heard through a reliable source that they have had to buy back a ton of trucks (1000+). Also, they just had another tire recall on the full size trucks. The tranny is new along with the motor. They are having a body remake in a year or so, which usually lowers the value of existing trucks.
If you do go Ford get the 7.3 diesel if you can find one - bullet proof motors. I've heard mixed reviews on the tranny that came with the 7.3's however.
Overall, Chevy seemed like a better truck in my evaluation. Good luck shopping. By the way, there is rumor that the Duramax will be offered in the Suburban in 2005. If you need help finding a truck, check this guy out - he's helped many on the boards.
Diamond-Motors (http://www.diamond-motors.com)

Jordy
03-11-2004, 06:51 PM
I have an '02 and an '04 sitting in my driveway. Both Duramax Chevys. You couldn't give me a Ford, at least not a 6.0 diesel. ;)

SoCalOffshore
03-11-2004, 08:08 PM
Chevy/GMC all the way. Better looks, much better higher quality interior, Bose stereo, XM radio, Allison transmission, the Duramax is proven and is very strong and very quiet and the ride is far superior. The Ford is larger and has a little more room, but the 7.4 is louder and weaker and the 6.0 seems still questionable. Of course any of the big 3 will work great and its personal taste.

dicudmore
03-11-2004, 09:31 PM
2500HD all the way. The Allison trans works awesome. Someone said it above, the rear gear is 3.73 and works PERFECTLY with that engine trans combo. 65 in 5th gear 1800-1900 rpm. Torque peak (on my old 02 anyway) u guessed it, 1800. see the connection? 4th gear 65 mph, 2400, hp peak =, uh huh

payloan
03-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by little rowe boat
The Ford guys are going to say Ford and the Chevy guys will say Chevy.As long as you get a diesel you will be happy with either.:cool:
Naahh really! no offense litle rowe boat but you set yourself up for that one
Payloan

dicudmore
03-11-2004, 09:51 PM
agreed, and obviously either will pull whatever you got or whatever you want later. So will the CUMMINS.
My $$$ would still go to the Duramax

little rowe boat
03-11-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by payloan
Naahh really! no offense litle rowe boat but you set yourself up for that one
Payloan
None taken,your right I set myself up.Go FORD all the way less creature comforts but will out pull the Duramax everyday of the week.

El Chingon
03-11-2004, 10:14 PM
Hey So cal offshore, saw your boat in the new hoat boat mag....lookin' good. I know that wasn't you driving?

payloan
03-11-2004, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by little rowe boat
[B]None taken
Your a good sport Lil Rowe Boat if the world had more people like you I wouldn't get my ass kicked as much

MagicMtnDan
03-11-2004, 11:01 PM
You'd probably be better off with the 3.73 gears instead of the 4.10's. That Duramax has plenty of power and it doesn't need the 4.10s unless you're pulling houses.
There's no decision to make here. Go with the best riding, best interior (it's where you spend all your time), quietest truck with the best transmission and engine...the Duramax.
Enjoy!

STV_Keith
03-12-2004, 07:45 AM
You didn't say you were looking for a new truck (and maybe I can assume not since you mention the older, louder 7.3 PS), but here's my take on the newest trucks out:
Best Stock Auto Trans: Chevy - Allison
Most Stock Power: Ford - 6.0 PS
Best Stock Fuel Mileage: Dodge - Cummins
Quietest Stock Motor: Dodge - Cummins
Best Stock Brakes: Dodge
Best Manual Trans: All about equal
Most easily modifiable: Dodge - Cummins
Top Power Potential w/normal (sane) mods:
Ford 7.3 ~ 325rwhp/650 ft-lbs
Ford 6.0 ~ 410rwhp/800ft-lbs
Chevy 6.6 ~ 375rwhp/800ft-lbs
Dodge 5.9 ~ 500rwhp/1050ft-lbs
That's my take and we mod/work/see all of the above listed trucks on a daily basis. It's all we do here. We currently have 2 company trucks - both Dodges. :)
http://www.dieseldynamics.com - check out the mods available for each.

STV_Keith
03-12-2004, 07:47 AM
Oh yeah, and on the gearing thing...unless you are regularly pulling 12k+#, go with the lowest numerical gear you can get (3.54 in older Dodges, 3.73's in current Dodges/Fords/Chevys).
4.10's usually cause fuel mileage to suffer at least 1.5-2.0 MPG.

SoCalOffshore
03-12-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by El Chingon
Hey So cal offshore, saw your boat in the new hoat boat mag....lookin' good. I know that wasn't you driving?
Really? Is that the April issue? I have not seen it. When they tested it I had an outdrive problem, which was covered under warranty. Oh Yeah, it was towed to Havasu by a Chevy Duramax at 75 mph!

welk2party
03-12-2004, 08:02 AM
Does anyone on the boards have a hook up for Chevy? I might be in the market for a DURAMAX.

HARDIN18
03-12-2004, 08:09 AM
Have a buddy go get the Chevy for a test drive, you go get the ford. Line both trucks up at a stop light. When the light turns green, punch it. Whitch ever one wins, buy it.

Desert Rat
03-12-2004, 08:15 AM
Everybody has an opinion. If their was one clear winner in all catogorys then I would say go with that truck. Some are louder than others, some ride better, some with more power, some have more room etc... You need to judge on what matters most to you and decide on those factors. I have been a Chevy guy most of my life but to me it looks like the front of the Chevy is turning Japanese with the (in my opinion) ugly ass headlights! For me I wanted the diesel pulling power but inside room was very important. The Ford CrewCab was my choice as it has the largest interior. Lets face any one of the three brands will get the job done! Good luck on your purchase whatever it is.

Lightning
03-12-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by welk2party
Does anyone on the boards have a hook up for Chevy? I might be in the market for a DURAMAX.
Call Armen at Diamond-Motors...
Diamond-Motors (http://www.diamond-motors.com)

bigq
03-12-2004, 08:39 AM
Not true I love the Fords and have always had Fords. Went I went diesel I went with the CUMMINS in the dodge. seemed to be the best from what I gathered and now it has the best power of all of the trucks. The internals are HUGE in the Cummins and it seems like the Ford and Duramax were after thoughts. It was also my first diesel, but I am sure you will be happy with whatever you pick.

Mike67rs
03-12-2004, 08:47 AM
Only get a Dodge if SIZE matters...Check the pic...
From left to right, Chevy....Ford....Dodge

PHX ATC
03-12-2004, 09:29 AM
Those are the old pics of the old Chevy 6.5 TD and the older International Ford diesel.
Here's the Duramax, 6.0 Ford, and Cummins.

PHX ATC
03-12-2004, 09:32 AM
D'oh. Same picture here:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1601sizeimage.jpg

little rowe boat
03-12-2004, 10:06 AM
Nothin bad to say about the cummins,my father in-law has one with bookoo miles on it and it still runs strong.

little rowe boat
03-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Nothin bad to say about the cummins,my father in-law has one with bookoo miles on it and it still runs strong.
As a matter of fact,at one time not sure if it's still true if you were to buy a Ford,F550 or bigger it came with the Cummins.

dorC
03-12-2004, 10:20 AM
The 6.0 has had some real problems. Supposedly the 04 are to have most of them fixed. Time will tell. I definetly would not be buying any 6.0 older than a 04. Now, I'm partial to the Chevy's so I'm not going to get into that debate. But if you want a loud engine, take a listen to the old Cummins. They truly perfected the marbles in a coffee can sound! ;)

OGShocker
03-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Chevy.!. I own one. I love it. I recommend it.
My .02

jackpunx
03-12-2004, 11:15 AM
04 F250 own it.. love it and recomend it..

Three Days Only
03-12-2004, 11:24 AM
I have owned both the 7.3 PSD and now a 04 6.0 PSD. No comparison the new 6.0 PSD is great in all aspects. Coupled to their new 5 speed tranny the trucks tows great, better then any other vecihle i've driven. My 02 7.3 had all the upgrades done to it and the new 6.0 stock out tows hands down. I feel that no matter what diesel truck you purchase right now, you cant go wrong. I just like the solid front axles on the fords and dodges compared to the a-arm front ends on the chevys.
Jeff / 3DO

HammerDown
03-12-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Three Days Only
I just like the solid front axles on the fords and dodges compared to the a-arm front ends on the chevys.
Jeff / 3DO
Guess thats where the Chevy's nice ride comes from.