PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question for you guru's

hd&boatrider
03-11-2004, 05:24 PM
I ordered the JL speakers XR650CSi - JL Audio 6.5" XR Series Componet and ordered grills from Ron's Custom Billet Grills. AM I going to need the grills for the tweeters also or will the tweeters actually be under the same speaker grill?
http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=314&1=317&3=1256
Thanks for the input.

ROZ
03-11-2004, 05:49 PM
The CXI's are a coaxial speaker.. His grill will cover this pair completely. The CSI ( I hope you got a god price on this set) is a seperate. His grill will cover the 6.5 like the other, but not the tweeter. I don't recomend covering it, but having him make a bezl you can mount the tweeter and it's grill(painted to match) would look good, IMHO...

hd&boatrider
03-11-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
The CXI's are a coaxial speaker.. His grill will cover this pair completely. The CSI ( I hope you got a god price on this set) is a seperate. His grill will cover the 6.5 like the other, but not the tweeter. I don't recomend covering it, but having him make a bezl you can mount the tweeter and it's grill(painted to match) would look good, IMHO...
I got the price listed Roz....Did I screw myself? What about just painting the grill on the tweeter white only?
By the way here is what I ended up with as a system:
(all JL)
8 6.5's
4 6X9's
2 12" Subs
1 10" sub
2 300-4 amps
1 500-1 amp
1 500-5 amp
3 Odessey batteries (1 other battery for the damn boat)
Rons Custom Grills for all of it
Install by Wired For Sound
A lot of equipment I already had and will reuse from the old boat.
What do you think :)

Havasu Hangin'
03-11-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by hd&boatrider
I got the price listed Roz....Did I screw myself? What about just painting the grill on the tweeter white only?
By the way here is what I ended up with as a system:
(all JL)
8 6.5's
4 6X9's
2 12" Subs
1 10" sub
2 300-4 amps
1 500-1 amp
1 500-5 amp
3 Odessey batteries
Rons Custom Grills for all of it
Install by Wired For Sound
What do you think :)
That will be an interesting wiring job...
What model subs?

hd&boatrider
03-11-2004, 06:57 PM
This is Justin, Toms son...What do you think about this Roz...What if on the Classic Grills that he is getting:
http://ronscustomdetail.com/f_stereo.htm
that he have holes drilled prior to the powder coating. Two holes would be in the center area for the tweeter to mount to. The other hole is for the speaker wire to go thru and hide behind the grill so you can't see it. Wouldn't that work good with the grills he is getting? The tweeter would be in the middle and if you look at the grills it looks like it would be a perfect frame for the tweeter. What do you think?
Justin aka hd&boatrider jr

hd&boatrider
03-11-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
That will be an interesting wiring job...
What model subs?
The subs are JLW6 12's and JLW3 10. You getting me concerned over here. What are you thinking HH?

Havasu Hangin'
03-11-2004, 07:07 PM
What are you thinking HH?
6 pairs of components with 8 pairs of amp channels...
...and the two subs to the 500/1 (250 watts each)?
Am I close?

hd&boatrider
03-11-2004, 07:09 PM
6 pairs of components with 8 pairs of amp channels...
...and the two subs to the 500/1 (250 watts each)?
Am I close?
First the 2-12's go to the 500W mono
2nd the 6X9's and the 2 sets of 6.5's go to the 300's
The remaining 2 sets of 6.5's and the 10" sub go to the 5 channel 500W amp
Sound good?

Havasu Hangin'
03-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Sound good?
Bueno.
Dats alot of wiring...

hd&boatrider
03-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Roz or HH...What do you think about this post by my son Justin:
This is Justin, Toms son...What do you think about this Roz...What if on the Classic Grills that he is getting:
http://ronscustomdetail.com/f_stereo.htm
that he have holes drilled prior to the powder coating. Two holes would be in the center area for the tweeter to mount to. The other hole is for the speaker wire to go thru and hide behind the grill so you can't see it. Wouldn't that work good with the grills he is getting? The tweeter would be in the middle and if you look at the grills it looks like it would be a perfect frame for the tweeter. What do you think?
Justin aka hd&boatrider jr

ROZ
03-11-2004, 08:33 PM
I don't know how large the solid circle in the middle of that grill is, but it would work well as a spot for a flush tweeter if the middle logo circle was gone...
I'm getting all misty eye'd seeing all those JL amps and subs :cool:
You do know that the 5005 is 100 x 25 x 250 right? Not that it going to make a difference with all that sound :eek: :D
I CAN"T WAIT TO HEAR IT!!! I'm going to get up there to check it out... Keep us posted on the progress..

ROZ
03-11-2004, 08:35 PM
Bueno.
Dats alot of wiring...
I'll second both of those comments and add an Amen...lol

hd&boatrider
03-11-2004, 08:40 PM
I will Roz....I hope to be taking it over to WFS on Saturday. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Shockwave gets everything done for me tomorrow.....I have to get to Ron in the AM and see if he could put the holes in the grills before powdercoating on Saturday. I don't want to drill holes after the powdercoating so as to not chip any off. Where do I find out the diminsions for drilling the holes? It would have to match the screws off the back of the tweeters. Any suggestions concerning that?
Adam suggested the 500-5 for the front speakers and sub
Thanks again Roz
Originally posted by ROZ
I don't know how large the solid circle in the middle of that grill is, but it would work well as a spot for a flush tweeter if the middle logo circle was gone...
I'm getting all misty eye'd seeing all those JL amps and subs :cool:
You do know that the 5005 is 100 x 25 x 250 right? Not that it going to make a difference with all that sound :eek: :D
I CAN"T WAIT TO HEAR IT!!! I'm going to get up there to check it out... Keep us posted on the progress..

ROZ
03-11-2004, 08:53 PM
XR650CSI Manual.. PDF (http://www.jlaudio.com/evolution/pdfs/XR650_CSi.pdf)
XR650CXI manual...PDF (http://www.jlaudio.com/evolution/pdfs/XR650_CXi.pdf)

hd&boatrider
03-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Thanks you Mr. Roz :)

Ducatista
03-12-2004, 11:59 AM
Damn HD.....Sounds like we will hear that baby all the way down here at Havasu! Sweet! Thats guna cost you a couple of MPH of the top end....but worth it!

hd&boatrider
03-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Ducatista
Damn HD.....Sounds like we will hear that baby all the way down here at Havasu! Sweet! Thats guna cost you a couple of MPH of the top end....but worth it!
Its not going to be as fast...that is true but I can live with it! Mid to upper 60's will be sufficient for me and my crew :)

Ivan Dan
03-13-2004, 10:44 PM
Hey Tom~ Why don't you save yourself the hassle and just exchange your XR650csi for the XR650cxi which is the coaxial speakers???? This will even save you a few bucks and should be A LOT easier of an install and cleaner looking too IMO.
Just a thought.....
DAN

hd&boatrider
03-17-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Ivan Dan
Hey Tom~ Why don't you save yourself the hassle and just exchange your XR650csi for the XR650cxi which is the coaxial speakers???? This will even save you a few bucks and should be A LOT easier of an install and cleaner looking too IMO.
Just a thought.....
DAN
I went for the better sound and the tweeters are going to be recessed in the speaker grills that Ron made for me. I considered that before ordering them.