PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a Land Rover?

superV
03-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Im looking at a 1995 Land Rover Discovery for 5K. Has anyone had any ex. with these?I have worked on several of the old ones but never a late model.How do they run are they dependable?How do they well do they tow? Any info would be great:)

roln 20s
03-12-2004, 12:34 PM
Thats real cheap. As long as it runs good, I think this is a can't miss. Never owned one, but rode in a couple of late model ones, seemed pretty nice.
Roln 20s

mikev
03-12-2004, 12:34 PM
I have a friend that works for an extended warranty company and he says they are a p.o.s. he gets more claims for engines and trannys on those more than any other. $7500 for a rebuilt motor at the dealer.

superV
03-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by mikev
I have a friend that works for an extended warranty company and he says they are a p.o.s. he gets more claims for engines and trannys on those more than any other. $7500 for a rebuilt motor at the dealer.
Humm thats not good are you sure that is for the discovery and not the full size?Its in really great shape and about 2k under blue book.
20's that what i was thinking!

superV
03-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Bump!

sorry dog
03-12-2004, 02:10 PM
It's a good deal for your mechanic.
The concept of the design is very similar to a landcruiser (97 & earlier anyway), but they sell for half as much. I think there is a reason for that.
Maybe if the milage is real low and your not planning on keeping it a long time.

mikev
03-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by superV
Humm thats not good are you sure that is for the discovery and not the full size?Its in really great shape and about 2k under blue book.
he was talking about them in general he said all the new ones are garbage. he is a claims adjuster for extended warranties he can tell you what breaks and around when on all of them very good source of info.

PowellScooter
03-12-2004, 03:22 PM
I am a svc writer at a Ford dealer and have never seen too much of a problem trend with the motors and trannys but the air suspension is a nightmare. As far as the adjuster being a valuable source of info, (not flaming your bud specifically) the ones Ive dealt with are not as educated as I would expect someone in their position to be. They seem to be like all insurance people and just want to deny all the claims they can. (bonus based upon savings to company?)

mikev
03-12-2004, 03:41 PM
he is an ase certified mechaninc and did it for 20 yrs before becoming an adjuster he actually aduits the claims to make sure they are not getting ripped off. like being charged 8hrs for a job that the book calls for 4 or verifying correct pricing on parts before he approves them.

sorry dog
03-12-2004, 04:57 PM
My opinion is based on what I see LR owners bitching about on off road forums and such. It's kinda bullshit, but you don't see to many Toyotas, GM's, or Fords with twisted axle splines.
A friend of mine had a Range Rover about 10 years ago and it took him about a year's worth of off roading before the truck was junk - literally - sold as salvage. One of the front fenders fell off driving down the road.

Lightning
03-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Had friend with one, he did not like the gas mileage. His starter took a crap, cost him $600 to get replaced. Parts are not always readily available on these, from what I've heard; if you're in a bind to get something fixed you may end up having to go to the $tealer.

Mandelon
03-12-2004, 06:23 PM
$5K was the purchase price or the annual repair budget?
A friend of mine had one and now drives a ford instead......it was that bad. :cool:

DaveA
03-12-2004, 08:27 PM
SuperV,
Why?
My techs do work behind the shop at the BMW/Rover/Acura store here, and every time I've been there with them...Every Time...we can't help but notice that a LandRover comes in on the hook- dead- not running. At least one. It's a joke around there.
I have another customer that buys them supercheap at auction in Atlanta- once the factory warranty expires the value tanks on the auction block. He's got big nads and has sold a ton of them to the uninformed lake yuppies around here whose kids want to be cool junior yuppies or something. He does NO service work- just sells the crap out of this stuff, along with Beemers and Benzes that have just passed the magic number on the odometer. I looked in a replacement parts catalog for LR's that he had and was shocked at the prices for basic stuff like water pumps and timing covers.
If you want to go offroading, or at least look like you are, go Big Three or get a Tokyota. Wait, I'd be suspect of the Chrysler stuff.
Just my opinions. Hope you agree...!

superV
03-15-2004, 08:13 AM
Thanks guys! I did not go through with it after doing some research I belive all the above to be dead on! POS:eek:

TOBTEK
03-15-2004, 08:22 AM
"V"......I would personally steer clear of a rover product...A while back when BMW owned the company, all the factory rep's were driving them as there demo's. And even they were saying that they were not dependable. Just my .02 for what ever its worth....

superV
03-15-2004, 08:30 AM
Thats a Big-Ol-10-4:D