PDA

View Full Version : Glock

Jbb
03-13-2004, 02:56 AM
Bang! (http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb2.html)

quiet riot
03-13-2004, 03:52 AM
I just saw on the news that one of the local sherrif dept's made all the cops turn in their glock 45's and use 9mm cause of some problems found during training excercises.
http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=65410
jd

beached 1
03-13-2004, 07:26 AM
Another reason to own a Sig

lambertjr
03-13-2004, 08:08 AM
I'll stick with the good ole' Colt 1911 in .45 knockdown power

burbanite
03-13-2004, 11:36 AM
Whilst I do not own a Glock (I have four 1911's) I would suggest that the ammunition is most likely the issue here. ALL manufactures specify the ammo suitable for their gun for a reason.
It may be the case that the Glock is more susceptible to using the wrong loads than some others but be very aware that in the cases mentioned here, it is likely that more than one factor was involved - reloads, overpressure from bullet setback (maybe as a result of racking more than twice) and feed ramp characteristics.
Out of spec ammo causes many failures that may not normally occur, in almost any gun. Like I said, I am a 1911 fan but the same things apply, each gun has limitations and we need to be careful all the time. Regular cleaning and inspection help.
The difference between being in battery and out of battery in a Glock is very small, push on the front of the slide and you only have to move it a very small amount and the action will not work. By the same token, out of spec ammo can allow the action to function even though the slide is just a few thousands away from fully closed.
Tip: If someone has one pointed at you at close range grab the end and keep backward pressure on it, it will not fire in that condition, then reach for your condition one 1911 and let rip...

BOBALOO
03-13-2004, 01:41 PM
I've got 2 glocks and have had them for about 11 years,no problems using reloads but am a little worried now.
one is a 9mm the other is 40 cal the mini one.:D

77charger
03-13-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by lambertjr
I'll stick with the good ole' Colt 1911 in .45 knockdown power I am a 1911 fan also own 2 at the moment.:)
Glocks are fine i just aint a fan of them

Flying Tiger
03-13-2004, 03:23 PM
I reload my rounds and I'm abso****inlutely anal about measuring the propellant charge.
And only use Dupont Powders.
They're not sticky like other brands . If a "FEDERAL" measurement is critical in your book like it is in mine, Dupont powders are the only way to go.
Beyond reason measurement and weight checks, quality powders, and never overload any cartridge is in my routine.
Another huge mistake is inexperienced re loaders will use far more powerful rifle powders in pistol ammo.
Dumbshits really, a good way to loose an eye, fingers or a hand.

Flying Tiger
03-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by BOBALOO
I've got 2 glocks and have had them for about 11 years,no problems using reloads but am a little worried now.
one is a 9mm the other is 40 cal the mini one.:D
Home loads from an inexperienced re loader are what usually cause this kind of accident.
A Beretta will do the same if the round is overloaded, or the wrong powder is used.
Bad homeloads usually are the reason. Just remember that when you're standing next to someone at the pistol range that may be using bad ammo, you could be wearing his slide as braces on your teeth.
Thats why guys like me walk up and ask if they re load, and if so, I move next to someone with store bought ammo.

HighRoller
03-13-2004, 03:32 PM
How do you know which Glock models are which caliber? I'm assuming that the 21 is a .45 from the article, but how many different models do they make?

burbanite
03-13-2004, 05:20 PM
There is no doubt that Glocks are good guns, the fact that there are so many around and still selling at a fast rate speaks wonders. LEO use tells you that they are dependable issue weapons. Like all machinery they have their limitations and there are many, many other guns around that I would rather never have to depend on.
To make LEO's change to a 9mm is a mistake in my estimation, stopping a juiced up crackhead without a well placed head shot has proved difficult for those who have been in that same situation and has prompted the same people to request a change to a more effective caliber.
As Flying Tiger has pointed out, as well as paying careful attention to powder measurement, overall length is another thing that is important and relates to the burn rate of the powder. If for some reason the bullet suffers setback during use (such as has been described in the link, i.e. being racked more than twice), there is less room to allow the burning powder to expand at the proper rate. This can cause an over pressure situation and may have disastrous consequences.
Proper crimping and checking procedures can help avert problems.

77charger
03-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by HighRoller
How do you know which Glock models are which caliber? I'm assuming that the 21 is a .45 from the article, but how many different models do they make? There are many 17,18,19 are 9mms the 18 is a full automatic(machine pistol)
20 is a 10mm
21 a .45
22,23 -.40 cal
36 -cal ?
Plus more

dr. margarita
03-13-2004, 09:09 PM
Austrians must be getting sloppy....I'm a Sig man.

jlnorthrup122
03-13-2004, 09:14 PM
Speaking of metric guns did you hear bout that warehouse of mousers they found in servia?? yep they foun a warehouse of WWII German military (Natzi) unissued Mouser with the care package and they are selling them for $300.00 smackers Each!!!!!!!!!!!!! UNFIRED UN USED BRAND 60YEAR OLD GUNS!!! 300. bones!!!

seho
03-13-2004, 09:42 PM
Flying Tiger....actually I think powders designed for rifles are less powerful in identical weights of charge than powders specifically for pistols and shotguns. The reason is because you have all that barrel in front which gives more time to 'burn', if you will. It's more of a controlled burn rate to get a more controlled buildup of expansion of gasses. Pistols need it burned "right now" because of the short barrel and also the limited amount of charge that can be put in a smaller cartridge, otherwise un-burned powder flashes outside the barrel and does no good to pushing the bullet.