View Full Version : Paging Jeff Bennet

Marlin455
03-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Hi Jeff- I have followed your responses to the other thread on blueprinting the tahiti bottom- I am in the same process, and was wondering what specific filler you use to remove a hook, and what exact prep should be done before the filler is used(ie.- Sand with a specific grit to ensure good adhesion?)
Finally, what do you recommend to prep the hull before applying the speed coat(or other coating)? Thanks for your help, and welcome to the boards- I have a feeling we will keep you pretty busy with questions, as you seem to be the man when it comes to this! Stan

TRG
03-13-2004, 01:08 PM
if im not mistaken,...i think the prod. he uses is called Dura-glass, wich you can find at any of your local P/B supply house!
todd

Jake W
03-13-2004, 02:41 PM
Todd I think Jeff uses RAGE GOLD it is yellow in color and with the hardener in it it turns bright green I have used it for years on truck projects and it is really easy to sand.
Jake

Jet Hydro
03-13-2004, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't use RAGE GOLD or any type of bondo to fill a boat bottom... Use Dura-glass!
Body fill is not as strong and will hold moisture.

Jake W
03-13-2004, 03:08 PM
Hear is what I think.
If it is really bad you would be better off using matt and resin(the stuff the boat is made of to fill it in.
If it is 1/8 or 1/16 of hook the rage gold would work fine.
When Jeff uses Gage Gold (I am thinking that is what he uses)it is just to blend and level things out perfect.I am not trying to speak for him so I have no idea what he would use to to fill a major hook.
Jethydro we use to use Marrglass like say of instance to fill the srinkage after welding shut the door handels (that shit is a bitch to sand) and we would use a microsphers filler I think made by Dayna glass over it for the final fill.
Then we just started using the Rage Gold by itself and it worked prefect dident srink and did not have to use any other filler with it.
All though a boat is not metal (I persomaly would not use any kind of filler of any kind)to fill big gaps.The thing to body work is to have as least filler as posable and I would think the same would go for a boat.
As far as holding mosture that is why you speed coat it of re jell it.
And yes I know you are a body man.
Just my 2 cents take it or leave it.
Jake

TRG
03-14-2004, 03:37 PM
Actually jake...when i showed up at MPD i could sware that he used dura-glass on randys eliminator (HBjet), but then again, ive been known to be full of shit from time to time!lol
todd

Jake W
03-15-2004, 05:14 AM
Todd you may very well be right.I guess I should say that is my advise no matter wht Jeff uses.
How well does that dura glass sand?By hand?And would you need any other filler to finish?
Thanks Jake

Jet Novice
03-15-2004, 06:30 AM
I'm way deep into taking the hook out of my 76 Hawaiian too. Did a lot of grinding yesterday and have started filling the deepest parts of the hook with the first layer of fiberglass. I read Jeff's "how to" on blueprinting and have a couple of questions for anyone that works a lot of fiberglass. Jeff mentioned wiping the area down with acetone before applying the Dura-glass. Is this something I should do to prep the surface after each subsequent coat of fiberglass as well or can I just apply another layer after the first has cured? I know that it would remove any impurities but does it help with adhesion as well? I'm fairly handy using most types of fillers and such but I would really like to know the proper steps from one of you guru's about laying fiberglass so that I can get it right the first time. Any takers?

UBFJ #454
03-15-2004, 08:55 AM
Wipe it every time.

TRG
03-15-2004, 05:52 PM
my advice would be to treat it as if you were going to laydown an automotive finish....the cleaner the better!!