PDA

View Full Version : Who has weighed their hull accurately?

Unchained
03-14-2004, 09:26 AM
I weighed my 19' Stealth with an electronic crane scale and after I subtracted for the pump intake, steering and other misc. that were still in the hull ( with Duanes help ) I got 645# for the bare hull.
I asked for a lake layup so that's OK with me.
I hear guys talking about how their hull weighs 375# and I wonder if that's what the manufacturer told them or if they weighed it themselves.
Maybe it's like asking someone how fast their boat goes. :rolleyes:
When I look at the thicknesses of this hull I am puzzled at how someone could get the weight down to 375# +-
It would be like a potato chip.
On this Stealth hull the transom is 3/16" thick
The sides of the center pod where the throttle cable is mounted is 1/4"
The top of the tunnels is 3/8" to 7/16"
Near as I can tell the keel is about 1/2"
I have 2" x 4" stringers that are notched for the seats where race boats have 1" x 4" 's unnotched so I suppose that may account for 20# or so.
There's not that many bulkheads here and their only 1/2" plywood.
The sides look to be 1/4"
The bottom under the gas tanks is about 3/8"
I'd like to hear from someone who know's the facts on their hull weight and has some input about it along with their hull thicknesses.

fullwood
03-14-2004, 09:29 AM
i have a 19'6" custom built aluminum boat that isn't done yet but i weighed it and it came up with 555lbs with the intake installed.

Jet Hydro
03-14-2004, 10:33 AM
Mine will go on my race car scales as soon as the bottom is finished. I`m going to say 1000lbs. for now and I`ll bet I`m not far off on the bare hull :O

LVjetboy
03-14-2004, 01:41 PM
18'6" PlaceCraft
Trailer + Boat: 2940 (Truck scale)
Trailer: 900 (MCO)
Engine: 725 (DNE lift scale)
So the fully rigged boat with full tanks minus the engine is 1315 lbs. From there I can only estimate but I'll give it a shot...
Fuel: 85 ( Half full: 13 gal @ 6.5lb/gal)
Tanks: 100 (WAG)
Seats: 110 (Bathroom scale)
Pump + Intake: 150 (WAG)
Battery: 50 (Est.)
Wires + Cables: 70 (Big time WAG)
Hull: 1315 - 565 = 750 lbs
So the hull weighs about 700 - 800 lbs. Definitely a lake layup...I can walk on the deck no problem. Anyone have better guesses for pump + intake or empty 13 gal IMCO chrome side tanks?
jer

Blown 472
03-14-2004, 01:47 PM
No pie charts?? wtf?

LVjetboy
03-14-2004, 01:51 PM
Pie charts are for politicians
:)
jer

Kindsvater Flat
03-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Mine fuel of fuel (14 gal) weighs 3450. Boat and trailer.

Jungle Boy
03-14-2004, 03:31 PM
My 21' Eagle Tunnel weight is 530 lbs bare. With SBC and rigged out to race with 40 glns fuel, it weighs around 1575 lbs.

Blown 472
03-14-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Jungle Boy
My 21' Eagle Tunnel weight is 530 lbs bare. With SBC and rigged out to race with 40 glns fuel, it weighs around 1575 lbs.
And it can jump logs and shit and boldly go where no lake queen can go, would they take a trade on a used up glastron? we have a ****ing shit load of small rivers that I would love to rip the shit out of.

Unchained
03-14-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Jungle Boy
How did you weigh the hull?
How thick is the bottom, sides, and top?
Your hull has a lot more freeboard than mine and it's 2' longer so that's real light.

P-Money
03-14-2004, 04:48 PM
Isn't that Eagle aluminum?
Here's the specs: http://www.eagleracing.ca/RModels/Tunnel.shtml

Cs19
03-14-2004, 04:58 PM
Unchained, I have a 19 daytona thats 400-500 according to the boat order form and from what the experts say by pounding on the hull, mines a little diferent material the normal daytona though.I do plan to weight in a couple weeks, and try to subtract the pump,tanks,etc.Heres what mine is like.
The tops of the sponsons all the way back to the transom are very thin, like 3/16 or so but the raised section of the deck or bow is heavy enough that i can walk on it carefully, cant walk on the sponsons, your foot will go right through for sure. The sides of the boat are also about 3/16. if you tap it, you can really feel and hear its fairly thin.The bottom is kinda thick in the rear where the intake goes in, like 1/2 , maybe a little more than that, its like that where my tanks mount in the gunnels as well.If you tap or pound on the front between the pickleforks where it curls under towards the tunnells its really thin again and it slowly get thicker as it gets towards the bulk heads. My bulk heads are about 1/2 plywood, but there are large windows cut out to lighten them up. I can crawl through them into the bow if i need to. I can get you a pic if you wanted to see what im talking about. There are a few sets of bulkheads throughout the bow of the hull, I cannot remember how many, but they all have windows cut out.My stringers are also different than most, they are only 1 inch thick, but a little taller than most and my transom is also wood, which is about 3/4 thick , i really like the wood transom personally, nice for mounting stuff back there.
Anyway theres a little comparison for you. Its definatly thinner than the average lake boat, but its no lightweight. I have seen much lighter. I think its going to be perfect for what I want to do with it.atlest i hope. See ya Cs19

Jungle Boy
03-14-2004, 05:11 PM
Here's the specs from their site. They have an electronic scale that they can hang the boats from the over head crane. It's accurate to a few grams, I'm told. Some of you guys would love these boats.
Bare Hull Specifications
Length: 20'6"
Beam: 75"
Approx. Dry Weight: (Bare Hull, Lightweight with Intake) 535 lbs.
Approx. Dry Weight: (Bare Hull, Standard with Intake) 640 lbs.
Keel: .375 - 6061
Air Tunnels: .160 - 5052
Sides and Deck: .102 - 5052
Custom Fabricated Intake and Grate Included
Options to add to bare hull:
Fuel Tanks - 64 US gal.
Sharpened grate
Standard spoon
Standard spoon w/ QT-100
Lightweight model:
- .063" 6061 deck
- .125" 6061 bow
QT-100
Roll Bar - Steel or chome moly
Race Tech high back seats
5 Point harness seat belts
Dual Rack and Pinion steering
Autometer instrumentation to inculde 5" Monster Tach
Low oil pressire warning light
Dual 1100 automatic bilge pumps
Custom Droop Snoots
4-Point custom engine mounts
Single and tandem trailers
Billet Bowl and stator assembly with high pressure seal ring
Prepped, primered and final paint process
My 19' Sport boat complete with a 350ci small block weighs in at 1650 LBS. Here are the specs from the site.
19 Specifications
Length: 19'
Bottom: 5'6"
Sides: 30"
Beam: 6'6"
Approx Dry Weight: 1650 lbs
Keel Thickness: 0.500
Bow Thickness: 0.190
Side Thickness: 0.102/.125
Deck Thickness: 0.102/.125
Fuel Capacity: 45 US gal

Jungle Boy
03-14-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Blown 472
And it can jump logs and shit and boldly go where no lake queen can go, would they take a trade on a used up glastron? we have a ****ing shit load of small rivers that I would love to rip the shit out of.
We try not to jump shit with the race boats. Sometimes it happens, but not on purpose! The pleasure boats, well that's a different story. As far as a Glastron trade in,,,,well, you'll just need to call them up. They don't get many glass boats offered up. You'd make a wild river runner, I'm sure. One good ride and you'd drive right by the lake and look for river or creeks that feed it.

fullwood
03-14-2004, 06:02 PM
is yours the light model baldy?

Jungle Boy
03-14-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by fullwood
is yours the light model baldy?
Yup, both are. Don't need heavy sides or decks for me. As Rob C once told me "you run on the bottom, the sides are only there to keep the water out!"

Unchained
03-15-2004, 05:11 AM
I have a friend with a Daytona race hull, He added some reinforcement to it and some additional keel bubble then weighed It and got 550#
CS19, From what you're describing in hull thicknesses your hull sound real close to what I have.
I've found that what ever the manufacturer tells someone is most likely way off. I was told my hull would weigh 500# but I expected it would weigh more so I was prepared.
The Eagle aluminum hull is certainly a beauty.
Jungle Boy, Did you see them weigh the boat when you picked it up?
Not trying to be difficult, just looking for the facts.

OkieDave
03-15-2004, 07:40 AM
I actually weighed my old race hull. It was a 18 foot Youngblood Picklefork that I built when I lived in Havasu and worked at Magic. It weighed 400. It was very strong, you could walk anywhere on it you wanted. The guy I sold it to let it fall off the trailer, fully rigged, at highway speed. only scratches and scars. I have a Gull-wing style 18 at home that I built using about 20 gallons of resin and 2-3 gallons of Gel-coat. With a glass to resin ratio of about 50-50, maybe 5 pounds of balsa, the boat is about 400. I also have a Cheyenne splash that I built and it weighs about the same. as long as you use balsa core where needed, the deck is ok to dance on. I have a CP gull-wing at my shop now for repair that is under 300. It is a race boat and pretty flimsy. The side bulkheads and front bulkhead are all broken.

Jungle Boy
03-15-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Unchained
I have a friend with a Daytona race hull, He added some reinforcement to it and some additional keel bubble then weighed It and got 550#
CS19, From what you're describing in hull thicknesses your hull sound real close to what I have.
I've found that what ever the manufacturer tells someone is most likely way off. I was told my hull would weigh 500# but I expected it would weigh more so I was prepared.
The Eagle aluminum hull is certainly a beauty.
Jungle Boy, Did you see them weigh the boat when you picked it up? Not trying to be difficult, just looking for the facts.
Not mine, but others. I am very good friends with Rob and Doug, the owners of Eagle and weight is everything to Rob and his race boats. This is something that he takes very serious in his statements. I would believe him 110%.
Shit man, he just built another mountain sled and spent 2500 bucks on a little bag of Titainuim bolts for it. This sled weighed out at 337 lbs with 210 HP!!
The painter of his boat told him that he put a couple of extra coats of clear in it to make it shine nice and Rob's first question was "What would that weigh?"

fullwood
03-15-2004, 10:22 AM
i work on sleds alot baldy and all my friends are into them as well. i have never even heard of a sled less than 425 lbs. that's with carbon fiber and chrome moly frame, light weight everything drive parts absolutely everything. can you describe this sled and give us more specs because i hate to say this but we don't believe you. now don't get mad, i'am not in any way classifiying you with panther guys mostly because they have a disease, but we need more info.

MudPumper
03-15-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by LVjetboy
18'6" PlaceCraft
Trailer + Boat: 2940 (Truck scale)
Trailer: 900 (MCO)
Engine: 725 (DNE lift scale)
So the fully rigged boat with full tanks minus the engine is 1315 lbs. From there I can only estimate but I'll give it a shot...
Fuel: 85 ( Half full: 13 gal @ 6.5lb/gal)
Tanks: 100 (WAG)
Seats: 110 (Bathroom scale)
Pump + Intake: 150 (WAG)
Battery: 50 (Est.)
Wires + Cables: 70 (Big time WAG)
Hull: 1315 - 565 = 750 lbs
So the hull weighs about 700 - 800 lbs. Definitely a lake layup...I can walk on the deck no problem. Anyone have better guesses for pump + intake or empty 13 gal IMCO chrome side tanks?
jer
Jer, I got 105lbs (Bathroom Scale) for a Dominator pump with magbronze imp., Agressor short droop, and manual Place Diverter. No intake.

Jungle Boy
03-15-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by fullwood
i work on sleds alot baldy and all my friends are into them as well. i have never even heard of a sled less than 425 lbs. that's with carbon fiber and chrome moly frame, light weight everything drive parts absolutely everything. can you describe this sled and give us more specs because i hate to say this but we don't believe you. now don't get mad, i'am not in any way classifiying you with panther guys mostly because they have a disease, but we need more info.
There are plenty of sleds in "these" parts that are 400 lbs and less. You and your buddies need to update. If you know anything about Rob Chrunyk and mountian sleds then it you wouldn't need to ask. This is a one off sled. None other in the world excist. This sled started out with all ready lightweight "Racer Edge Chassis", he then made a lighter tunnel for it. Every bolt on the sled is custom made from titainium. All brass bushings were replaced with plastic. Every part on this sled is custom made. Before the engine went in it, it's value was at around 50K. It has a 210 HP Crankshop engine. I'll try to get some photos and more details from the boys at home. Because I'd really hate to have you think I'm lieing to you. :frown: :eek: Also, I was there when we weighed this sled. This was less fluids and hood, as he runs without in hill climbs. (hood that is!!)

quiet riot
03-15-2004, 12:17 PM
I'll chime in, My hull weighs 395 lbs with intake and you can walk on the deck and smack rocks and logs all day with no prob's. This was weighed on a hanging scale at the school where I built it. Scale seems pretty accurate as it weighed me at 204 lbs when I hung off it which is what I weighed at the time.
The bottom is 3/16 and everything else is .090. With an all cast iron small block ford (heavy for a small block with iron timing cover, water pump, heavy flywheel, etc..), live well, ski locker, rod holders, railing, multiple storage compartments, full floor, washdown pump, blah, blah, it weighs 2350 on weight scales minus the heavy trailer that weighs 650.
The shorter sprintjets that are raced can be picked up by 3-4 people when fully rigged with motors, etc. Some guys say with their alum Donovan motors that the boats weigh in around 1000 lbs or less race ready. These are bare bones 13 ft hulls that don't bounce of rocks and logs though, but they do hold up to roll overs pretty well.
I did find a few weaker points that dented around the front sides of mine that I had to reinforce a bit. That was from hitting waves and debree with it trimmed down at speed. Bending the metal in the right spots and using some foam to reinforce in spots works great.
jd

Unchained
03-15-2004, 02:29 PM
It looks like the aluminum hulls have a lot going for them.
How much do they get for one of those 21' Eagle bare hulls?
Are they noisy to ride in?

Jungle Boy
03-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Unchained
It looks like the aluminum hulls have a lot going for them.
How much do they get for one of those 21' Eagle bare hulls?
Are they noisy to ride in?
When they are fully carpeted and rigged out for pleasure they are not very loud at all. A stripped race ready boat is!! But then with open headers, you never hear the hull noise!:D Here's a link to the sport boats. The 21' sport at the bottom of the page was my 2nd boat from Eagle. It was a very nice lake boat or river runner. It ran 80 MPH with a 406ci SBC. Lots of guys put big blocks in this one.
http://www.eagleracing.ca/RModels/Sport.shtml

bottom feeder
03-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Boat specs.
13 foot lightweight race hull compleate (seats,wire,hose etc.)
American Tubine pump
All steel BBC
9 gal fuel
9 Qt oil
1030 LBS
Picks show light weight carpet and such

LVjetboy
03-15-2004, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the info Mudpumper. I'm guessing intake about 20 lbs or so. Total pump and intake plus plate about 130 lbs or so. A bit less than 150 lbs but close.
jer

screamdreambrad
03-15-2004, 11:15 PM
mark thats the same layup as mine. the 380lb'r has no wood in transom,1x4 stringers, thinner sponsons, and bulkheads. can go lighter now and twice as strong. carbon fiber kevlar. and it looks really bitchin too. thats what my next one will be. brad