PDA

View Full Version : ford 460 ?

Scape Goat
03-14-2004, 08:06 PM
I am looking to replace me d3ve heads on my 460
What is the best to get (factory heads not aftermarket)
I have a wiend tunnel ram on the motor
I am looking at dove c
also would I be able to use my current springs from the d3ve and put them on the dove c heads. the springs are from clay smith.
thanks brian

Danhercules
03-14-2004, 08:25 PM
Yo Lakes, Can ya get this one?

03-14-2004, 09:08 PM
Find a pair of C8, C9 or D0VE heads, all have 75cc chambers and the ports and valves are the same size. The valve springs should be checked for height as the D3 heads may have a slightly taller installed height due to the deeper 91cc chambers.

Scape Goat
03-14-2004, 09:17 PM
thanks will look inyo it more.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
03-15-2004, 07:29 AM
D0VE heads are probably the most common among the C8,C9 and D0VE group and are fairly easy to come by. One thing to remember is the D0VE heads will yield a higher compression ratio than the the D3VE heads due to smaller combustion chambers. I think you are on the right track. try to find local heads if you can shipping these iron beasts gets expen$ive!!!
Omega

LakesOnly
03-15-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Scape Goat
I am looking to replace me d3ve heads on my 460
What is the best to get (factory heads not aftermarket)
I have a wiend tunnel ram on the motor
I am looking at dove c
also would I be able to use my current springs from the d3ve and put them on the dove c heads. the springs are from clay smith.
thanks brian
C8VE-A, C9VE-A, D0VE-A AND D0VE-C's will increase your compression approximately 1 to 1-1/2 points over your D3VE heads, assuming no other changes in your engine.
While you have the heads off, it would be wise to do a little grinding on the exhaust side of the head. Reducing or removing the Thermactor bump in the exhaust port helps, but the single- most beneficial improvement is blending the exhaust bowl where the machined edges of the bows meet the cast surface. These two modifications combined can make quite a noticable difference in power output.
If you are unsuccessful in finding a pair of heads, PM me and I might be able to help you out.
LO

Blown 472
03-15-2004, 11:23 AM
The valves from the dove's are .100 longer than the d3's as they moved the chamber up into the head more to get lower comp ratio. I dont think the springs will work as they might get into coil bind.

Scape Goat
03-15-2004, 03:50 PM
thanks guys looking at bumbing up but will need complete head jobs to do so. researching right now and found a guy who has a yard full of .
the cam I have is a clay smith and has 560 lift. duration at .050 236. this is a hydralic cam.