PDA

View Full Version : My Son is an Accident Waiting to Happen!!!

RiverKitty
03-14-2004, 10:35 PM
So my son Chris & his buddy go to the skate part for a little skate bording action when some bully starts pickin' on his buddy. Chris steps in between them to prevent this jerk from hitting his buddy and the bully ends up punching Chris in the face. Chris didn't hit back but rather stands there and stares at him until the kid gets freaked out and takes off running.
The boys go back to boarding then shortly after, Chris falls off his skateboard and breaks his ankle! Then drives himself home using his left foot to navigate. I drive him to the hospital and he starts shaking and feels like he's going to throw up. I cover him up with a blanket and rub his back to help him feel better. After spending 4 hours at the hospital, he leaves with a swollen ankle the size of a tennis ball and a swollen cheek!
The joys of being a parent! It's no wonder I have as many gray hairs as I do....on the bright side....at least I still have hair! *wink* I wish I could always be there for my children to catch them when they fall or to beat up anyone that might hurt them but I guess it's all a part of the process of growning up. *sigh*
Each day brings a new adventure, but I wouldn't change it for the world!
Gotta Love Being a Parent!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/414beachFeet.jpg
Have any interesting parent stories of your own???

quiet riot
03-15-2004, 02:03 AM
Ouch, that doesn't sound like a fun day.
Okay, I got a parent boating thing that kinda freaked me out. Last summer I was boating with my kids and my brothers family. We pulled back into the dock cause my bro's wife wasn't feeling so good (she was due and had a kid 3 days later.)
When I lift my 5 yr old daughter outta the boat and set her on the dock she starts walking towards her older brother just as I tell them to be carefull, and wouldn't you know it, she slipped between 2 of the dock sections and got her leg caught at the knee. I jump out to help her cause she's crying and stuck, but so does everybody else on the dock, and there was a lotta people there.
Well, as everybody rushed over the docks sections bowed down with the weight and started smashing her leg even harder and she started screaming. At that point I was freaked cause I couldn't pull her out and was picturing her getting her leg cut off. I realized what was happening with the weight of all the people and yelled at everyone to get back.
Well a couple of people (including my 11 yr old son) weren't moving fast enough for my liking so I through them in the water to get the weight off the dock. Meanwhile my daughter is still whaling at the top of her lumgs like I've never heard her before and I'm trying to lift her out but don't want to to rip her leg off. Finally, with a little wave action I felt her leg free up a little and got her pulled out.
Luckily nothing was broken but her leg sure swelled like crazy. I can't believe her knee didn't get crushed with all the pressure on it. I had a little explaining and apologizing to my son as to why I threw him off into the water but he understood. I just felt so helpless for what seemed like forever (probably was just 10 seconds or so) when I couldn't get her leg free and listening to her scream and the crunching/creaking of the dock joint (which I thought was her leg at the time.)
Really makes ya sit back and think afterwards, you always know you'd do anything for your kids but when ya can't it sucks.
jd

BUSTI
03-15-2004, 10:47 AM
RiverKitty,
You sound like a wonderful person! Being a parent is a special thing and I look back at the greatest moments in my life and they have been with my children. All of them are young adults now and often I reflect on the events such as you and your Chris just experienced and I am grateful to have had kids. Loving your kids is such a reward and going through the growing pains of getting them to adulthood is joyous, frustrating, and sometimes painful...but always worth it!
I just love other parents that understand the adventure of raising kids is great! And so are you..... great post!l

mirvin
03-15-2004, 10:56 AM
Sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders. It's not easy to take a punch, but it's super important to be able to if you know what I mean;)
mirvin:cool:

Ziggy
03-15-2004, 02:23 PM
Parenting stories---gee, where do I start.
My son who just turned 21 has had few few broken arms, most recently about 4 yrs ago while at Glamis when a buggy decided to try running him over.
My daughter has had broken collar bone(while at soccer practice) and broken wrist from rollerblading. The pain she was in with the collar bone just killed me inside. She was pretty much in shock but when it came time to remove her from the car at the ER she was having nothing to do with that----screaming and yelling at the top of her lungs :cry: ...it took a nurse and quick actions to get her out. Worse part was we the parents got the MAJOR 3rd degree by hospital nurses as to how she broke her bone(insinuating we did it) but the obvious soccer outfit,shoes and grass stained clothes they didn't notice :rolleyes:
Many more stories but not enough time.....the life of a parent.

RiverKitty
03-15-2004, 05:21 PM
Wow! This is turning out to be a pretty cool thread! :)
Chris' face is twice the size as it was yesterday and he's starting to get a black eye. When he tries to smile or laugh, (besides the fact that it hurts) only half his face reacts. Poor puppy! He is however discovering that pain pills are a valued drug in times like these! *wink*
Thanks Quiet Riot, BUSTI, Mirvin & Ziggy for sharing!!!
Cheers to all the Wonderful Parents out there!!! :D

BUSTI
03-15-2004, 07:17 PM
Kitty,
Your son sounds like a kid that will soon be a man that will be able to keep his mental discipline strong even when others around him are falling apart. When my boys were growing up I always felt that good citizenship was more important than grades, popularity and sports!
As it turned out they got good grades or lets say above average. they were big excellent athletes and as such were fairly popular. But what has served them the best of all my efforts were to make them men of their word, hard working, and honest men who niether steal, lie or cheat! But most important they are men of great personal courage!
You are right ...this was a great thread. Tell Chris tomorrow he will still be sore but not half as effected as the bully that hit him! There is no finer or rare personal trait than personal courage! Rarely does life provide us with the situation where one can easily demonstrate personal courage. Personal courage isn't defined as a by some bigger guy hitting a smaller guy. Nor is it defined by the smaller guy defending himself from the bigger guy.
Personal courage is really defined by one person with out regard for him or herself coming to the defense of a weaker/smaller person not capable of defending themself. And that by coming to their aid you put your self in danger...such as they way your son did! There is no greater demonstration of personal courage than what your son did for his friend! He stood in and took the blows for his friend regardless of what the cost was. What a guy! What a fine young man!
I am sure you and Chris' father have had a lot to do with him growing up so strong. Good Job!