PDA

View Full Version : Formula 242LS

Nick Gregg
07-10-2001, 01:48 AM
Please can any one help?
I live on a small island off the United Kingdom and I need some imfo to improve the proformence of my boat.
I have a Formula 242LS running a 5.7ltr Merc
with alpha gen 2 drive.I'm running 50 m.p.h at 4600 rpm with a 23p mirage prop,and i want more top end.
I have a 454 Mag/Bravo 1 to rebuild.
I would like to know what mods i can do to this engine that will work well in this boat,
What type of blower to use, What prop etc and what kind of proformance I can expect.
Any imfo would be greatly apprieciated.

spectras only
07-16-2001, 09:25 PM
Nick ,I've noticed the outdrive guys ignoring you.I'm familiar with the formulas and I can tell you this.A 24 foot formula is way too heavy for a single [???] 350 Chev.You should have either twin 350's or a single big block with mods for power.A while ago a guy I used to boat with, had a 25 footer with two 350's and just made the 60 MPH mark.A Mag 454 with a blower is a good choice with an upgrade to Bravo III.Guys braking the Bravo I's with blowers.If you gentle on the throttle at take offs your BravoI would survive.

28heatspeed
07-17-2001, 03:21 PM
Ive got a 28ft nordic heat with a 509 blown chevy with head work etc.(bravo 1 with 1.36 gears)24pitch prop she hits low 80's on gps.
dont know if this helps but maybe it will give u an ideaof what u need to do

Nick Gregg
07-18-2001, 12:12 PM
Thanks for replying specras,May be its not that a popular boat or a bit old that will be of some use. Originally posted by spectras only:
Nick ,I've noticed the outdrive guys ignoring you.I'm familiar with the formulas and I can tell you this.A 24 foot formula is way too heavy for a single [???] 350 Chev.You should have either twin 350's or a single big block with mods for power.A while ago a guy I used to boat with, had a 25 footer with two 350's and just made the 60 MPH mark.A Mag 454 with a blower is a good choice with an upgrade to Bravo III.Guys braking the Bravo I's with blowers.If you gentle on the throttle at take offs your BravoI would survive.

spectras only
07-18-2001, 02:31 PM
Nick,in the seventies and eighties people would give an arm and leg owning a Formula,but todays lighter boats are faster,and Thunderbird Yachts still building heavier boats [excellent for rough water].My alltime favourite was the 1980 233 foot Liberator model,and the 302.When John Connor was racing 27 Formula offshore class those were the days of real offshore boating and you needed some heavy layups to last.We have a poker run every year in september,and the organizer [Tony Spring] has a 1992 24 LS.I don't remember what is his setup,but I'll ask him next time when I see him and let you know.You can contact him by log on to www.vancouverpokerrun.com (http://www.vancouverpokerrun.com)

Nick Gregg
07-21-2001, 06:36 AM
Hi spectras only, thanks again I'll e-mail your mate Tony and give him a try.A friend of mine runs a Chapperell Villian 111 with a slightly modified 330 7.4 , different cam inlet manifold and gil exausts,this is a shorter and may be lighter boat but I,m only 5- 10 m.p.h slower than him when it is quite calm,but when it gets rougher i can keep him not to much problem. Thanks Nick. Originally posted by spectras only:
Nick,in the seventies and eighties people would give an arm and leg owning a Formula,but todays lighter boats are faster,and Thunderbird Yachts still building heavier boats [excellent for rough water].My alltime favourite was the 1980 233 foot Liberator model,and the 302.When John Connor was racing 27 Formula offshore class those were the days of real offshore boating and you needed some heavy layups to last.We have a poker run every year in september,and the organizer [Tony Spring] has a 1992 24 LS.I don't remember what is his setup,but I'll ask him next time when I see him and let you know.You can contact him by log on to www.vancouverpokerrun.com (http://www.vancouverpokerrun.com)