PDA

View Full Version : Warning About Dihydrogen Monoxide! (Is it safe? Well, you can't boat without it)

MagicMtnDan
03-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Local officials nearly fall for H2O hoax
Web pranksters warn of dangers of 'dihydrogen monoxide'
The Associated Press - Updated: 2:05 p.m. ET March 15, 2004
ALISO VIEJO, Calif. - City officials were so concerned about the potentially dangerous properties of dihydrogen monoxide that they considered banning foam cups after they learned the chemical was used in their production.
Then they learned, to their chagrin, that dihydrogen monoxide — H2O for short — is the scientific term for water.
"It's embarrassing," said City Manager David J. Norman. "We had a paralegal who did bad research."
The paralegal apparently fell victim to one of the many official looking Web sites that have been put up by pranksters to describe dihydrogen monoxide as "an odorless, tasteless chemical" that can be deadly if accidentally inhaled.
As a result, the City Council of this Orange County suburb had been scheduled to vote next week on a proposed law that would have banned the use of foam containers at city-sponsored events. Among the reasons given for the ban were that they were made with a substance that could "threaten human health and safety."
The measure has been pulled from the agenda, although Norman said the city may still eventually ban foam cups.
"If you get Styrofoam into the water and it breaks apart, it's virtually impossible to clean up," Norman said.

RiverToysJas
03-15-2004, 12:45 PM
WOW! A simple Google search shows how wide spread that hoax is!!!
This is one of many websites that come up:
http://www.dhmo.org/
RTJas

Dave C
03-15-2004, 01:19 PM
thats great.
I gonna use that bit at the next party with a bunch of tree huggers.
Dude, did you hear about how they found out that chemical dihydrogen monoxide can cause death and may be linked to cancer?
no way dude... I think we should protest it....

Schiada76
03-15-2004, 01:38 PM
Tell 'em it's the most widely used solvent in the world.:D

summerlove
03-15-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
Local officials nearly fall for H2O hoax
Web pranksters warn of dangers of 'dihydrogen monoxide'
"It's embarrassing," said City Manager David J. Norman. "We had a paralegal who did bad research."
I know Dave pretty well - I need to call and give him crap on that one! I think his "paralegal" is my old secretary that left me for him....:) :D Pretty funny.....

bigq
03-15-2004, 02:18 PM
just shows how eager everyone is to ban what we don't really understand. Funny though, does she still work there? Can blam her though sometiomes it is tough to see the real for the fake.

Steamin' Rice
03-15-2004, 02:42 PM
Too bad for me!! I live in Aliso Viejo!! :D