PDA

View Full Version : 2X vs. 4X

OutCole'd
03-15-2004, 04:26 PM
I know this thread has been done before but I could not find it.
This last weekend I launched my new boat (28' Magic Deck) for the first time with my truck. 03 Crew cab Chevy HD 2wd. and had a hell of a time getting the boat out of the water. Spinning the tires. Luckily a bunch of guys helped out and jumped on my bumper giving me some rear end weight getting my some traction and getting me out of the water.
Now when my wife backed in, my tire was on the smooth section of the ramp instead of the grated section which is the reason I believe.
But how often does this happen to you peeps with 2wd. trucks?
If is is a rare occurence I am not going to switch because I like the truck, but I do not feel like going through this everyw eekend I go out.
Are some launch's better that others? I have never had any problems with my other boats.
Thanks.

Kilrtoy
03-15-2004, 04:30 PM
I only know from what I have driven 2WD's. Olny once have we ever had a problem. We got stuck in a rut, in the dirt, when pulling the boat out (F150).
Now the new F250, ripped the boat right out, according to the wife last week. She was very impressed. Then again we are only pulling out a 21' boat.

Mandelon
03-15-2004, 05:36 PM
Have one of each and have never needed 4x4 on a ramp. I can see a steep slimy ramp and an unloaded truck could be an issue though.
Air down the back tires if you get stuck maybe?

Lightning
03-15-2004, 05:38 PM
I think you should upgrade to a wider tire. The stock tire suck on these trucks.
I had the same problem in my stock 2004 Chevy 2500hd Duramax when I was not in 4x. There is so much torque, it's hard not to spin the tires.

RiverToysJas
03-15-2004, 05:43 PM
I have always had 4wd, and use 4-Low every time I pull the boat out of the water. I like to do it that way, because it's easy for the wife. She only needs to lift her foot off the brake and truck pulls the boat out (unless it's a steep ramp, then it only takes a light touch on the gas). It's a nice gentle pull though, unlike some 2wd's I see yanking their boats up. As soon soon as the trailer's out and we're at the top of the ramp, it's back into 2-high.
But that's just my thoughts and what works for us.
RTJas :D

Danhercules
03-15-2004, 07:29 PM
Try the parking break. Step on the parking break about half way and then pull out. It usually helps from keeping the tires spinning. Helps on the way down if the fronts lock up too.

OutCole'd
03-15-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Danhercules
Try the parking break. Step on the parking break about half way and then pull out. It usually helps from keeping the tires spinning. Helps on the way down if the fronts lock up too.
I treid that, also tried steering both directions. No help. Lots of tires spin.

TheEduKATor
03-15-2004, 07:33 PM
That used to happen in my 98 Tahoe 2WD. I had Mud Terrain Tires on though. When the ramps were really slimmy my tires never had traction. It also depended on the steepness of the launch ramp and the water level. It never loss traction at Windsor, but it did happen a few times at the Havasu Marina when the water was low and the trailer tires went off the paved part of the ramp. At site 6, forget about it. I thought that launch ramp was a burn out contest to see who could peel out furthest up the ramp.
I now have a 2003 F-250 4WD with stock tires and have not had a problem pulling out our 26 Cat since. I have not had to use 4WD once.

NorCal Gameshow
03-15-2004, 07:46 PM
Have you tried using second gear? it's a big help with my supercrew..

canuck1
03-15-2004, 07:49 PM
Start the boat and push the truck out

Kilrtoy
03-15-2004, 07:57 PM
Now that is some funny shit.
I have seen on several occasions plenty of people do this, Althought, i don't think they were trying to get the truck out.

canuck1
03-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Actually, I was being serious

OutCole'd
03-15-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by TheEduKATor
I now have a 2003 F-250 4WD with stock tires and have not had a problem pulling out our 26 Cat since. I have not had to use 4WD once.
So since you do not use 4wd. What do you think the difference is?
Tire size?

Outnumbered
03-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Tires make a huge difference. Not just size but tread pattern. Go with a more aggressive tire like a BFG AT or MT and you will see a big improvement.
Also, if you don't want to buy a new 4x4 then consider a Detroit Electrack or ARB locking rear dif. They're switchable and will lock both rear wheels so you have true 2 wheel drive. Most factory limited slips are a joke and still let one tire spin. It would run about $1,200-1,500 installed. Here is more info.
http://www.tractech.com/Products.htm
http://www.arb.com.au/air_locker_features.htm
OL

Havasu Hangin'
03-15-2004, 08:31 PM
I think 25Elmn8r had the same problems with his new Sub. I think he changed the tires and it fixed it.
I'm with Jason...the Z-71 means "never stuck on Z ramp"...

jjfosterj
03-15-2004, 08:32 PM
2X 03 Dodge 2500 Hemi does great @ Windsorhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1366DSC00917-med.JPG

CA Stu
03-15-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by canuck1
As a last resort, I've done it.
1-2-3- GO!
And away you zoom.
Takes teamwork! (And a couple of beers to give you courage for the ramp :D )
Cheers
CA Stu

25Elmn8r
03-15-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
I think 25Elmn8r had the same problems with his new Sub. I think he changed the tires and it fixed it.
I'm with Jason...the Z-71 means "never stuck on Z ramp"...
HH is right, I had the same problem at Windsor. It sucked having a truck with 500 miles on it and it wouldn't pull the boat out. the stock Chevy tires suck donkeyd$%^. I went with a bigger tire because of the lift that I also added and have never had a problem since.
Just swapping the tires with something more aggressive will more than likely fix the problem.

redneckgirl
03-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by OutCole'd
I know this thread has been done before but I could not find it.
This last weekend I launched my new boat (28' Magic Deck) for the first time with my truck. 03 Crew cab Chevy HD 2wd. and had a hell of a time getting the boat out of the water. Spinning the tires. Luckily a bunch of guys helped out and jumped on my bumper giving me some rear end weight getting my some traction and getting me out of the water.
Now when my wife backed in, my tire was on the smooth section of the ramp instead of the grated section which is the reason I believe.
But how often does this happen to you peeps with 2wd. trucks?
If is is a rare occurence I am not going to switch because I like the truck, but I do not feel like going through this everyw eekend I go out.
Are some launch's better that others? I have never had any problems with my other boats.
Thanks.
It depends on if it is a stick or automatic? I am not a fan of 2x, as I have always had 4x4 (growing up on a ranch we all needed 4x4 to get around, some would say I was a spoiled child). That being said, we had a freind that had a stick 4x4 pulling a jet boat with no tongue weight, and it had a hell of a time pulling it out unless it was in 4 wheel low. How is the tongue weight of the trailer, do you need to add weight or have the trailer company adjust the tongue weight?? Our Shockwave granted it is only a 21' is balanced great and pulls it easily with our 4x4 Expedition. It is an easy pull for our F250 4x4. Extra $$$ for a 4x4 is well worth every penny, especially when you need it.
RNG

OutCole'd
03-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by 25Elmn8r
HH is right, I had the same problem at Windsor. It sucked having a truck with 500 miles on it and it wouldn't pull the boat out. the stock Chevy tires suck donkeyd$%^. I went with a bigger tire because of the lift that I also added and have never had a problem since.
Just swapping the tires with something more aggressive will more than likely fix the problem.
What tire size did you go to? Also what motor do you have? Did changing tire size effect the power?

spectras only
03-15-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by canuck1 ,Start the boat and push the truck out . When I had my challenger [340 4 spd ,3500lbs clutch] in the 70's ,that was the only way to pull my 20 spectra out on almost any ramp. My 98 Jeep GC has less power, [5.2 L] has the quadratrack tranny , and it pulls my 24 spectra [6000lbs package] up on any ramp without going in 4 low .:D Quadratrack rules. :cool: Ps; recommended for jets only:p :D

Outnumbered
03-15-2004, 09:35 PM
What tire size did you go to? Also what motor do you have? Did changing tire size effect the power?
The bigger the tire the less power you will have. But with a slightly oversize tire on a stock truck you won't feel the difference. If you are running 245/75/17 you could go 265/75/17 and it would be no big deal. Its when you lift the truck and run 35's that you will have a problem with power loss.
The more important issue is the tread. You need a BFG All Terrain KO or something like that.
OL

RiverToysJas
03-15-2004, 09:45 PM
Here's a chart to compare tire size with gear ratio.
4-Wheel Parts Tire & Gearing chart (http://www.4wheelparts.com/tire_gear_ratio.asp)
RTJas :D

rvrjunkie
03-15-2004, 09:51 PM
Does a limited slip rear end made a difference on a wet boat ramp?

quiet riot
03-15-2004, 09:58 PM
put some slicks on it, as you start smoking them they will get better traction!:D
jd

Salty Cracker
03-15-2004, 10:04 PM
If you don't want to upgrade to the 4x4, I agree with the above, wider tires, and lockers kick ass if you can go that route just a few hints though:
#1 DO NOT HAVE PEOPLE JUMP ON YOUR BUMPER, I've seen an axle snap because 15 or so people were jumping up and down on a bumper to try to get traction...big no no!!!
#2 If you think it's gonna be close, dont try to pull out with 10 people still in the boat...I see those jackasses all of the time @ site six(1/2 ton pickup trying to pull out a pontoon with 15 people on board)
Good luck, and I forgot, when are you going to post pics of the new ride???

Salty Cracker
03-15-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by rvrjunkie
Yes, you can sit and point out the ones with and without all day long!!

quiet riot
03-15-2004, 10:11 PM
Limited slips can make a big diff in traction. Many factory limited slips aren't much to write home about and many times just spin one wheel. Aftermarket cone clutch differentials or even ones with more clutch disks work much better. A switchable locker is a great way to go and not affect drivability on highway and have full lock when needed.
Wet oversized mud tires (like I run most of the time) are the worst for traction on pavement, followed by most cheap factory tires. A good all terrain like bfg and such are a great choice, just keep size in mind. The wider the tire the less friction applied on a smooth surface, until you get into softer compounds (like racing slicks, etc) that actually get adhesion properties when warmed up. Wider tires can be benificial for dirt, mud, sand etc or roughened surfaces where a shearing force in applied from the tread to the driving surface.
Taller tires or using a higher gear will apply power more smoothly and have less tendancy to initially break loose and start spinning.
jd

mmered8299
03-15-2004, 10:18 PM
Bill, talk to Brian? @ Drive Line Services off of Valley View between DI and Spring Mtn. He would have some info on that locking diff. Boy, your having all sorts of problems with that new boat! How did it run. Are you making W I D E turns now?

TheEduKATor
03-15-2004, 10:29 PM
So since you do not use 4wd. What do you think the difference is?
When I bought my Ford I got the upgraded 4X4 Package that came with a wider all terrain tire over the stock option. They seem to get the job done. Unlike my mud terrain 35's on my chevy. Like quiet riot said, wet mud terrain tires are worst for traction on wet pavement.
I also like to make sure all the weight is out of the boat including people and I hit the bilge before trailering because my ice chest water drains into the back of the transom. It makes a big difference in weight when my entire back seat is a fiberglassed ice chest as well as the middle locker.

25Elmn8r
03-16-2004, 02:14 PM
Just in case you didn't see it earlier before the server crashed.
I went to 33x13x18 Nitto Terra Grappler All Terrains. I(My wife) have an 03 Sub with the 5.3 Litre. The larger tire size definitely affected the perceived power. The sub does fine on all but the steepest hills. But I store the boat out at Parker so it is a short haul. Once these tires are gone I am actually going to go to 35's and regear the rearend. Here is a pic before the accident!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/204DSC00071-med.JPG

OutCole'd
03-16-2004, 02:15 PM
For the guys with 2wd's and having no problem's, what size boat are you towing?

iparky
03-16-2004, 02:29 PM
I had the 2500HD Duramax, 2x, with posi traction. Both tires (33s bfg all terrain)sometimes smoke N pulling out. The worst thing is the wife saying all the way home "I told you to by 4x4." My new Suburban pulls out the same boat w/no problems. It is a weight over the rear wheel thing, and YES we got the 4x4 but have not had to use 4 wheel yet.
She just likes having it there, ie. the ramp at princess cove on Mohave is long and steep, she puts in 4x just so she has no problems and makes the other fools look just like that FOOLS!:D

25Elmn8r
03-16-2004, 02:31 PM
As you can see by the name, 25 Daytona

jjfosterj
03-16-2004, 03:24 PM
29' Cheetah and no limited slip I stay on the rough at Windsor and have no problem but my trailer has some good tongue weight I have seen many people have a hard time on that slick part between the lanes I would just stay on the rough part