PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires (3 gone in one weekend)

Lightning
03-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Well, I had three trailer tires go out in one weekend - Carslile's. I called them and they are willing to step up and replace the set, said to just send them a copy of the bill for the new tires and that they will reimburse me. So here's the question....
Should I go with a radial trailer tire or a bias-ply? What do you like and why?

jbtrailerjim
03-15-2004, 05:46 PM
I've alway's run radial's on my trailer's and have never had a problem. I'm not a tire expert and I'm not sure of the pro's & con's of running one or the other. I'm not sure if this is a good comparison but I work in the trucking industry and I do know that about 99% of the semi truck-trailers you see on the road are running radial's.

GBLASER
03-15-2004, 05:56 PM
There have been tons of posts about how bad the carlisle tires are. Carlisle seems to have junk tires.

Lightning
03-15-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by GBLASER
There have been tons of posts about how bad the carlisle tires are. Carlisle seems to have junk tires.
They had a batch that they contracted out to Goodyear to make and those are the ones with all the problems.

phuggit
03-15-2004, 06:24 PM
Jeez, me too.
I just posted the same question over at RRL. I had two blow out on the way home Saturday afternoon. When I checked the other two, I noticed the treads were seperated and the tires were all out of shape.
Lightning
What was the number to contact Carlisle?

shadow
03-15-2004, 07:19 PM
Had the same problem with carslile tire tires as many of us have.
Went through Extreme trailer (great service).sent the tires to them and they forwarded them to goodyear.(2 blew same time same side triple axle trailer).Anyway goodyear sent me a questioner and I filled it out sent it back with a receipt for the new tires and a receipt for buff out scratches from tire smacking the side of the boat.They sent me a reimbursment check for the buffing for scratches,but beware they only sent me partial reimbursement for the tires because I didn't buy goodyear product.got about 50% of cost for the new tires.I buffed the scratches myself and charged them $200.so I broke about even.
Carslile tires are SHIT !!!!!!!!
Good luck.

randy77zt
03-15-2004, 07:36 PM
i have been an auto technician for 20 years.i never understood the meaning of those special trailer service tires.to me they just look like some cheap old bias ply tires .i run 205/60 -15 radials on my boat trailer and it tows fine at 75.but the whole thing is only 1800 lbs and runs on 1 axle.my grand parents had a 5th wheel rv trailer and it had those special trailer tires and they fell apart.i put some goodyear 235/75-15 lt highway tread 6 ply pickup tires on it and no more problems.the tires were rated at 3000 lbs load each.the trailer weighed 7000.with 2 axles the tires had a good margin for over load.

Scream
03-15-2004, 08:23 PM
Where's my flashlight? I'm goin out and checkin to see what tires I have right now...
:confused:

ahhell
03-15-2004, 09:08 PM
So, as a newbie...whats the sweet deal for trailer tires??? bias or radial, just a dual towing a 21 footer

Rexone
03-15-2004, 09:10 PM
I've always used radials with no problems. Just not Carlisles

Scream
03-15-2004, 09:13 PM
I went outside and checked, Thank God no Carlisles. I don't seem to have good tire luck so I didn't want that to be an issue...

Desert Rat
03-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by randy77zt
i have been an auto technician for 20 years.i never understood the meaning of those special trailer service tires.to me they just look like some cheap old bias ply tires .i run 205/60 -15 radials on my boat trailer and it tows fine at 75.but the whole thing is only 1800 lbs and runs on 1 axle.my grand parents had a 5th wheel rv trailer and it had those special trailer tires and they fell apart.i put some goodyear 235/75-15 lt highway tread 6 ply pickup tires on it and no more problems.the tires were rated at 3000 lbs load each.the trailer weighed 7000.with 2 axles the tires had a good margin for over load.
Stiffer side walls on the trailer tires are the difference I have been told. On tandem trailers when you turn you have one tire on each side that is getting very high side loads do to skidding action (for lack of a better term) Car radials have a soft side wall that will brake down due to this action and come apart.

Trash
03-16-2004, 03:36 PM
Trailer tires usually have the "ST" label on them which stands for "standard trailer". As mentioned above, the sidewalls are stronger than a car tire. I've never had much luck with the Carslile tires either. I currently have High Way Masters, which appear to be more rugged, and certainly don't cost any more.
I believe GoodYear makes a radial trailer tire called the "road master' or something like that. They are more expensive however. I cannot attest to whether or not they are any better.
Hawk the tire pressure too. They will fail very quickly if underinflated. I usually run mine at the upper end of the pressure range. This has helped reduce failure, nearly eliminated the cupping, and improved stability.

AZKC
03-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Ck for clearance issues on the tires to the trailer I had a very slim clearance between my tires and "sideboards":confused: when the tire would squish on roughroads it would rub and ruin the side walls and eventually blowing out :(

WILD LAVEY
03-16-2004, 06:42 PM
just checked the trailer this morning, just my luck ive got carslile. i better call extreme, the side walls are very dry and cracked. the trailer is only 14 months old!

spectras only
03-16-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Trash [/i]
I believe GoodYear makes a radial trailer tire called the "road master' or something like that. Goodyear Marathon radial trailer tires that is ,nuff said
;) :p