PDA

View Full Version : Score Number III

Hotcrusader76
03-17-2004, 12:28 AM
Wow. Sure has been a good month on good deals for me despite loosing TPC's harddrives earlier this month. I suppose I deserved a good deal or two.
T4 T04B Twin Turbos (exhaust housing 1.15 A/R, 54mm compressor wheel, .60 A/R)
Not bad for $554.00 on Ebay. They should be here this week. These will be going on the Chevelle's BBF429 not the boat.
http://i24.ebayimg.com/03/i/01/6c/cf/fd_1.JPG

03-17-2004, 09:01 AM
Glad to see you got those, they were a smokin' deal. I was going to bid [buy it now] but they prob. would have just collected dust and never got installed in place of the E-370-10 turbos that are on there now.

superdave013
03-17-2004, 10:16 AM
If those have a 3" inlet I have some carb boxes that would fit those just right.
My turbos have 4" inlets so I can't use them.

Hotcrusader76
03-17-2004, 12:16 PM
Thanks guys. I am getting mixed reviews on my find from folks alike. I will have to post some of the responses to my find.
I will say they are going on a BBF 429 for the car (door slammer). I will be running a single Dominator with a 4500 carb hat from Superior Airflow. It should be a real tire skorcher...
Now all I need to do is find out how I'm going to plasma cut this k-member to fit the oil pan:D

03-17-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Hotcrusader76
Thanks guys. I am getting mixed reviews on my find from folks alike. I post some of the responses to my find.
I will say they are going on a BBF 429 for the car (door slammer). I will be running a single Dominator with a 4500 carb hat from Superior Airflow. It should be a real tire skorcher...
Now all I need to do is find out how I'm going to plasma cut this k-member to fit the oil pan:D Plasma cut the whole thing out and do a Mustang II frontend.:D

Hotcrusader76
03-17-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
If those have a 3" inlet I have some carb boxes that would fit those just right.
My turbos have 4" inlets so I can't use them.
I'll have to bump heads with ya on some ideas then. I want to stay with a carburetor hat but a box is not that far from reality.
Thanks Dave.

Hotcrusader76
03-17-2004, 10:55 PM
Well from my research and long chats with lakesOnly I believe that a rear sump set-up with some minor boxing should be all that's required. If the motor sets back a few inches then no worries it's not going to be class legal by any means. This is strictly just a personal challenge that I've planned and so far everything is falling into place.
My worry on this BBF 429 was the turbos I've bought. I hang out often at Turbo Mustangs.com (http://www.turbomustangs.com) and they've given me some mixed reveiws on my find.
Some say the exhaust turbine may be a little large...but it's dependant on the host motor. Would it be safe to say since this a C-12 fueled package that will rarely see the street going to be ok for spooling those babies up?
Turbo gurus please respond as I would like to see some comparisons on different applications.
~Ty

03-18-2004, 07:58 AM
They may be too big for a 429 so solve your problem and build a 557" BBF :D

Hotcrusader76
03-18-2004, 08:00 AM
That was option B. Build a 514 instead and increase the stroke some over the 429. Who knows the crank may be bad anyhow once I get this motor.

Unchained
03-18-2004, 02:56 PM
I want to stay with a carburetor hat but a box is not that far from reality. Thanks Dave. [/B]
I'm confused by your statement,
Are you going with a draw through or a blow through setup?
I've used a draw through several times but never tried a blow through. Procharger makes some pretty lofty claims about their blow through's.
Congratulations on that great buy. Most people like me pay well over that for each turbo and mine were rebuilds to start with.

Hotcrusader76
03-18-2004, 04:50 PM
It will be a blowthrough regardless of whether it's a box or hat. I carry the superior airflow carb hats at my shop so I obviously will be utilizeing them on my car.
Yeah I know...I felt like it was a good deal at that price. Matter of fact he has over 8 sets of these priced the same.
~Ty

Unchained
03-19-2004, 02:15 PM
It will be a blowthrough regardless of whether it's a box or hat. I carry the superior airflow carb hats at my shop so I obviously will be utilizeing them on my car.
~Ty
Just curious, whats your reason for going blow through?
I have'nt seen that many done successfully for a high HP applications.
I see you're a carb builder. What do you do to a carb to make it work for a blow through turbo setup?
From the look of Superdaves setup he's going draw through so I think the carb boxes he referred to would be for the compressor intake.

flat broke
03-19-2004, 07:09 PM
If I had to guess, Since Ty is a carb guy it is easier for him to work around the blow through issues than worry about the fuel puddling and other issues asssociated with going draw through with the particular turbos he picked up. I don't think there are any vacum seals on those turbos, which would cause problems in a draw through setup. From my standpoint, a box would be better as less work is needed on the carb to run blowthrough, but that being said I've seen some good running stuff in the dunes with hats instead of boxes. Always more than one way to skin a cat. Most of the time it boils down to which tools you're most comfortable using, and what plays to your strong suit.
Chris

Hotcrusader76
03-19-2004, 11:47 PM
You couldn't be any closer to the truth Chris.
These turbos will be supporting a single blowthrough 1150 Dominator on a BBF stroker. Whether it'll be a box or bonnet I don't know for sure as of yet. This motor will be a Kaase set-up, SCJ and intake where as the boat is a Trickflow induction set-up. Don't think I'll be done by CBBB but it's progress is moving forward smoothely.
As far as configuring the carb for blowthrough...well that's obviously already nailed down. I currently have one of our Dominators being run on a Twin T76 496BBC in Saudia Arabia...yeah no shit! Some new high speed terroist vehicle:D. Funny thing is he's not the only one...I also have a blowthrough 650 running out of UAE Dubai on Police PTG patrol jeeps running 4 cylinders and single turbos. Blowthroughs are fun and unique in design, but can often be simplier in set-up then a drawthrough. Why all of sudden these Arabs want set-ups that can run 20-25 degree inclines and under adverse sand conditions I don't know...but who cares right? Maybe with Saddam gone they can finanly be gearheads:D
I will keep ya posted on the BBF progress with the turbos. A friend of mine has informed me that I have an E-housing which is larger than the Schwitzer, so I believe this was a true score. Then again I was advised to ditch these for some T76s but I'll keep focus on the project at hand:D
~Ty

HEAVYBOAT
03-24-2004, 11:30 PM
Did your turbos arrive?
I apologize in advance for my ignorance, I know NOTHING about turbos (besides losing to them at the track all the time :mad: ) .....but what kind of turbo's are these? Where do they originate? What would be the difference between something like the turbonetics T4's and the ones you just bought? What was the recommended ci size if a person was to use the two of them and how much boost are they both capable of making on a 500ci mill?
What is the detailed list of things needed (parts) if someone was to do what you what your about to?
Thanks
Rick

Hotcrusader76
03-25-2004, 12:25 AM
Heavyboat...
The turbos should be here by Friday. A client of mine purchased the exact same set from this guy and did a complete teardown of the turbos. Turns out they're Borg Warner E-housing versions with a V-trim???? set-up. Now because I'm the FNG here (F*&king New Guy) on turbos it's been a steep learning curve...Boost is boost...but making it with a reliable turbo set-up is becoming very challenging.
All in all this guy on Ebay is selling some killer deals. It's been verified and checked that he's legiate and is offering smoking deals. Now how smoking they are I don't know but I'll refrain from asking him....could they be "hot"? Who knows, but $554.00 to my doorstep for two TO4B turbos (NEW) is hard to pass up.
Now back to the install specifics...
I do have to buy some external wastegates. I looked at some billet versions with controllers...those will set me back about $1000 total.
The Stainless steel exhaust system will run about $400 in tubing and more if you don't have a TIG weldor...yes I said "weldor" someone who welds....with TIG in this instance. My fabricator is very good at welding and will be doing up the exhaust to the turbos for me. Remember this is a BBF transplant into a 72 Chevelle:D
After that it's another feat to get an intercoller done up and routed to the Dominator carburetor (blowthrough set-up). That will be another thread someday down the road.
My advice to you.....????? Get some turbos and give her the "spurs"!:D:D:D

Unchained
03-25-2004, 07:18 PM
You can buy nice ready made stainless flanges, header collectors, and tubing from www.stainlessworks.net and the parts are pretty reasonable.
I got the 2" stainless tubing from the Jeg's catalog. They have a J bend for about $ 23 each.
TIG welding stainless is not hard. Buy a used machine and go for it.
You should be able to buy a real good wastegate
for $ 380.00 ea.

Hotcrusader76
03-25-2004, 10:58 PM
Thanks unchained....I just got the new catalog for Stainless Works, they've got alot of cool stuff.
The waste gates seem a little pricey, but I've yet to skimp out on quality. I'll keep searching...
NEWS FLASH........
Just got the turbos in today. WOW!!!! These have got to be "hot"!!!:D:D
I'll post the pics of their arrival. It blows my mind that these were only $510.00 ($554.00 delivered)!!!!!
For anybody wanting some turbos from this guy...here's his link to "Ebay ID: 19seventy2 (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=19seventy2&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50)
The only complaint I had about the transaction was the lack of communication. Of course I can understand he may be busy hi-jacking trucks full of turbos:D:D:D...but an e-mail would have been nice. Bottomline is I got my turbos in less than 5 days from payment being made. So I shouldn't be complaining right?:D:D
He's got 6 pairs of turbos up right now ranging from $425-600.00. These turbos are right out of the factory box, with warranty, and still wrapped in plastic. Anybody wanting pics of what I got e-mail me and I'll be happy to link them up for ya.
~Ty