PDA

View Full Version : AZ registration

H20 Toie
03-29-2006, 04:00 PM
So i just got the new reg for my cig and they sent the list with the new flat rate for non resident and a 26' to 39' is $292.00 but the fee i am being charged is 389.33. wtf is that all about.
Of course it is still a lot less than in calif which is great but if they have a flat rate then shouldn't i be charged the flat rate?

Waldo
03-29-2006, 04:02 PM
So i just got the new reg for my cig and they sent the list with the new flat rate for non resident and a 26' to 39' is $292.00 but the fee i am being charged is 389.33. wtf is that all about.
Of course it is still a lot less than in calif which is great but if they have a flat rate then shouldn't i be charged the flat rate?
drunk tax??

Roxysnow
03-29-2006, 04:21 PM
I have a 30' and mine was $292! But I don't have a Cig either!!!

SoCalSouthpaw
03-29-2006, 04:23 PM
For a one-time convenience charge son, I'll let you use my AZ addy and you'll never have to worry 'bout Non-res reg again.
CONVENIENCE FEE: $353.85US
:)

phebus
03-29-2006, 04:23 PM
drunk tax??
I've seen his posts. He's getting away cheap :rollside:

ChumpChange
03-29-2006, 04:27 PM
There may be a proration in there somewhere from the old way of taxing. They may be charging your for more than twelve months as AZ tries to put a certain amount of boats on certain months in order to not have an influx of renewals all at the beginning of the year snce that is when people bought their boats at the shows.

H20 Toie
03-29-2006, 04:28 PM
I've seen his posts. He's getting away cheap :rollside:
Hey i have never drunk posted while in AZ. at least not that i remember :)

H20 Toie
03-29-2006, 04:30 PM
There may be a proration in there somewhere from the old way of taxing. They may be charging your for more than twelve months as AZ tries to put a certain amount of boats on certain months in order to not have an influx of renewals all at the beginning of the year snce that is when people bought their boats at the shows.
correct you are, now i noticed it is for more than 12 mo. thanks

TrojanDan
03-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Why didn't you CG Document your boat if it's over 5 gross tons of displacement? I paid a one time CG fee of $375 back in 2002 for our 29' and the yearly renewals are free. Yeah you're bound to some additional laws like being boarded anytime and zero tolerance for drugs but it's really no big deal. :confused:

H20 Toie
03-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Why didn't you CG Document your boat if it's over 5 gross tons of displacement? I paid a one time CG fee of $375 back in 2002 for our 29' and the yearly renewals are free. Yeah you're bound to some additional laws like being boarded anytime and zero tolerance for drugs but it's really no big deal. :confused:
Becuase then i would have had to pay the property tax here in california which would have been 2k a year.

ChumpChange
03-29-2006, 04:41 PM
correct you are
One of my favorite sayings to hear :D

Boatcop
03-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Yeah you're bound to some additional laws like being boarded anytime and zero tolerance for drugs but it's really no big deal.
I got news for you. You can be boarded at anytime, and have zero tolerance for drugs with or without Federal Documentation.
As a Documented Vessel, the boat is considered US Sovereign. Meaning it is safe haven in a foreign port, similar to Embassy property. It also cannot be boarded by a foreign nation in International Waters without the owner's or the U.S. State Department permission. Those factors aren't provided to a State registered vessel.
On the down side, the vessel can be seized and used by the Government in times of National emergency (Declared by the President). So if there is a specific threat to one of the Dams on the River or to the coastal ports, and the Coast Guard and/or DHS doesn't have enough patrol boats to effectively patrol, they can seize the boat for that purpose. Highly unlikely, but still a possibility. It hasn't been used since World War II for small recreational vessels, but was employed during the Viet Nam War to obtain Cruise Ships for troop transport.
There actually is a formula to determine what month the Arizona registration will expire, based on the numbers issued. The first initial registration will be for 12 months. The second registration will be prorated up or down, anywhere from 7 to 18 months to bring the expiration in sync with the formula. After that it's back to 12 months. In addition to spreading the renewals over the full year, we use the formula to detect fake registration numbers and fraudulent decals. (issued to another boat)

TrojanDan
03-29-2006, 09:24 PM
Becuase then i would have had to pay the property tax here in california which would have been 2k a year.
Lost me on that one dude. :confused: Why would you have to pay CA property tax if it's registered through the United States Coast Guard? My hailing port is in CA (East L.A. to be exact :D) and I never had to pay a penny of CA property tax. Check the laws. :cool:

HMF'er
03-29-2006, 09:32 PM
I was all excited that I was charged less than the listed price, turns out it was only for 11 months!

TrojanDan
03-29-2006, 09:36 PM
I got news for you. You can be boarded at anytime, and have zero tolerance for drugs with or without Federal Documentation.
Thanks for the news. :hammer2: My point is it's no big deal out on the water as having AZ or CA numbers. Act stupid and "the MAN" will get you anyways. Maybe I should have been as specific as your comments about being US Sovereign property and having my vessel seized by the Gov't in a national emergency, but how many ***boaters give a rat's ass about that if you mainly boat on a lake? I know I don't. :boxed:

HMF'er
03-29-2006, 09:43 PM
I got news for you. You can be boarded at anytime.
Does the USCG know this? They had to use the excuse "got a call that you cut somebody off" to inspect me and many others as we pulled into CC last weekend.

Boatcop
03-30-2006, 05:05 AM
Does the USCG know this? They had to use the excuse "got a call that you cut somebody off" to inspect me and many others as we pulled into CC last weekend.
I would hope they do:
14-USC-89
The Coast Guard may make inquiries, examinations,
inspections, searches, seizures, and arrests upon the high seas and
waters over which the United States has jurisdiction, for the
prevention, detection, and suppression of violations of laws of the
United States. For such purposes, commissioned, warrant, and petty
officers may at any time go on board of any vessel subject to the
jurisdiction, or to the operation of any law, of the United States,
address inquiries to those on board, examine the ship's documents
and papers, and examine, inspect, and search the vessel and use all
necessary force to compel compliance. When from such inquiries,
examination, inspection, or search it appears that a breach of the
laws of the United States rendering a person liable to arrest is
being, or has been committed, by any person, such person shall be
arrested or, if escaping to shore, shall be immediately pursued and
arrested on shore, or other lawful and appropriate action shall be
taken; or, if it shall appear that a breach of the laws of the
United States has been committed so as to render such vessel, or
the merchandise, or any part thereof, on board of, or brought into
the United States by, such vessel, liable to forfeiture, or so as
to render such vessel liable to a fine or penalty and if necessary
to secure such fine or penalty, such vessel or such merchandise, or
both, shall be seized.

Havasu Cig
03-30-2006, 09:18 AM
I just sent them a check for 21k and some change and I am still fighting with them over another 5k. I would be happy if I were you. :mad: :cool:

Havasu Cig
03-30-2006, 09:21 AM
Lost me on that one dude. :confused: Why would you have to pay CA property tax if it's registered through the United States Coast Guard? My hailing port is in CA (East L.A. to be exact :D) and I never had to pay a penny of CA property tax. Check the laws. :cool:
They just have not found you yet, but they will. My other 1/2 works for the B.O.E. and you are subject to unsecured property tax on a boat in California. My buddy just got nailed on his cig that is home ported in Marina Del Ray after owning the boat for a few years. I beleive the rate is 1% a year.

buzzaro
03-30-2006, 09:41 AM
They just have not found you yet, but they will. My other 1/2 works for the B.O.E. and you are subject to unsecured property tax on a boat in California. My buddy just got nailed on his cig that is home ported in Marina Del Ray after owning the boat for a few years. I beleive the rate is 1% a year.
Yes, its 1%, i called my accountant when we were buying our boat a few weeks ago in havasu.

TrojanDan
03-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Trust me, the Board of Equalization or whoever they were tried hitting me with a tax bill. I had to show the B.O.E. proof of my out of state delivery, boat mechanic and gas receipts from AZ, a copy of my mortgage bill showing my AZ address, and my CG certification showing were my "mooring" is (again AZ address). It took about 6 months of writing back and forth but I finally received a formal letter from the B.O.E. that they agreed my "vessel is not for use in California". The best 7 words I ever read! So long story short, no 1% tax bill for me. :cool:

River918
03-30-2006, 11:31 AM
With the crazy company you keep, I am suprised the Coast Guard isn't boarding you all the time. They probably just wanted to see the twins!!