PDA

View Full Version : any other places to launch

TANG-INATOR
03-17-2004, 08:07 AM
Going to boat on Havasu this w/e. Going to launch from Moabi. Is there anything closer to havasu that has courtesy docks? Also how many miles, on water, to havasu from Moabi? I know it should take around 40-60 minutes from moabi....thanks

THOR
03-17-2004, 08:16 AM
Topock is right across from there. I think it is free.

Kachina26
03-17-2004, 08:17 AM
Not free, they used to have a guy in a golf cart that would come out and collect. I heard he passed away, but I'm sure someone still collects.

chub
03-17-2004, 08:26 AM
I don't know what direction you are coming from but Bill Smith park and Needles Marina are North of Moabi but I'd check water levels it may still be kinda low. It will add about seven or eight miles to your trip.

Mandelon
03-17-2004, 08:46 AM
I think it was $5 or $10 to launch at Topock. But you don't have that long idle out like Moabi does.
I don't recall any place south of Topock to launch....Its about 15 minutes down to the Sandbar and maybe another 25 minutes down to the channel.
Gorge can get rough when its crowded. The wakes bounce off the canyon walls...

Ultracrazy
03-17-2004, 12:11 PM
There is nothing south of Topock........till you get to Havasu. The only problem with Topock is that it's basically a one or two boat ramp and it's steep. If you know what you're doing......you have no worries.

Desert Rat
03-17-2004, 12:31 PM
Be careful about Topok. A few people wiped out their props last year. It seems that they get a hump of dirt that builds up out about 25 feet or so right in the middle of the approach to the ramp. Year before last a buddy trashed his prop there and ownership told him he was launching at his own risk. There was a thread on this with people complaining about the fact that if you’re charged to launch they should take responsibility. Of course if you have a jet then no worries:D

Essex502
03-17-2004, 01:18 PM
Be cautious on the trip down to Havasu from Topock as the water levels are low.