LaveyJet
03-17-2004, 12:02 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/421Fast_Carrier-med.jpg

mirvin
03-17-2004, 12:28 PM
I hope everything is stowed properly.

LaveyJet
03-17-2004, 12:32 PM
No Kidden, I was on the Carrier Midway when we had a man go overboard. Made a hard turn to port, could hardly stand up. Stuff was all over the place.

mirvin
03-17-2004, 02:44 PM
How 'bout that big catapillar looking thing on the deck? I'm suprised that thing didn't go tumbling;)

mbrown2
03-17-2004, 03:00 PM
Is that photochopped; just looks funny, like I cannot even tell which way it is turning...Does it roll to the outside like a cat or inside like a v......If it is rolling to the outside maybe, but if rolling to the inside, why the wake on the left side of the pic.......
If it is real, I would hate to see it hook.:D

VD CRUISER
03-17-2004, 03:09 PM
Hey, I helped build that boat. I worked on Flat Tops at work and Flat Bottoms at home. They do roll to the outside like that.

ROZ
03-17-2004, 07:52 PM
I know a guy who works over at Suothwest marine inSan Diego. He is one of theguys that takes repaired vessels out to sea and test runs them. He said the carriers are capable of 60knots and can maueuver pretty well. Top speed they are the fastest in the fleet. They have to be, they launch planes from them..Even in a head wind..

LaveyJet
03-17-2004, 10:01 PM
Top speed they are the fastest in the fleet. They have to be, they launch planes from them..Even in a head wind..
Wind is not the problem, it's the lack of wind. Need about 30 knots across the deck to launch planes, if there's no wind then the boats got to haul ass.

Trash
03-17-2004, 10:47 PM
Yes, that picture is real. Usually done for sea trials. I can assure you the yellow crane on deck is secured, as is all the other gear.
Wind over deck isn't too big of a deal, but alignment with the wind is. 30 knots of wind is not a hard and fast requirement. It's a function of many things, primarily aircraft weight, configuration, temp etc. There is usually enough power dialed up in the cats to get the required end speed without the carrier having to pull the rods.

RiverToysJas
03-18-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by secondchance
No Kidden, I was on the Carrier Midway when we had a man go overboard. Made a hard turn to port, could hardly stand up. Stuff was all over the place.
Wouldn't they just send a helocopter back for the dude??? Seems like sending that huge wake from that turn would do more harm than good! :eek!:
RTJas :D

Rexone
03-18-2004, 03:08 PM
60 knots, holy shit that's like freeway speed. :eek:
and faster than most jet boats. :eek: :eek: :D

Back Forty
03-18-2004, 03:50 PM
Another vote for "ya it's real." That thing is traveling at a pretty good cut to be turning up the water like that. I would say it could also be called a flat bottom!
I also think they are either doing some sea trials or some scare the boot campers manuevering.

LaveyJet
03-18-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
Wouldn't they just send a helocopter back for the dude??? Seems like sending that huge wake from that turn would do more harm than good! :eek!:
RTJas :D
They did send a chopper, the turn is to keep him from getting chopped up in the screws. But that's another story.

LaveyJet
03-18-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Back Forty
Another vote for "ya it's real." That thing is traveling at a pretty good cut to be turning up the water like that. I would say it could also be called a flat bottom!
I also think they are either doing some sea trials or some scare the boot campers manuevering.
I think sea trials is the answer. You'll also notice no plans on board.

Buff
03-19-2004, 07:34 AM
Damn - the boats keep getting bigger and bigger at Parker! buf

OGShocker
03-19-2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by mbrown2
Is that photochopped; just looks funny, like I cannot even tell which way it is turning...
I thought it was a chop job too. But, if you look REAL close, you can see the Captain S*itting his pant on the super structure:D

HighRoller
03-20-2004, 10:35 PM
60 knots might be possible during sea trials but once you get fully loaded with personnel, aircraft, fuels and ammo that number drops significantly. Besides, there's no use for 60 knots when you're going to outrun the rest of the CBG ships by 30 knots. I would guess that's a sea-trial maneuver because it seems to be pretty high in the water.

Unchained
03-21-2004, 11:30 AM
All that speed and they only need to refuel once every 12 years +-

HP350SC
03-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
60 knots, holy shit that's like freeway speed. :eek:
and faster than most jet boats. :eek: :eek: :D
That would be a tsunami sized WAKE!!!
Jet boats can do 60?

Trash
03-21-2004, 10:08 PM
60 knots might be possible during sea trials but once you get fully loaded with personnel, aircraft, fuels and ammo that number drops significantly. Besides, there's no use for 60 knots when you're going to outrun the rest of the CBG ships by 30 knots. I would guess that's a sea-trial maneuver because it seems to be pretty high in the water.
This IS a sea trial maneuver. Usually rudder drills. A loaded ships steady state performance is not appreciably effected by the CVW loaded aboard. Speed IS usefull, regardless of how fast the rest of the BG is. A carrier will use it's max speed regardless of who can keep up if it is required. You don't have to be right next to all the BG ships to be protected. Max speeds are rarely used for sustained periods anyhow. Fuel is an issue for oilers, the nukes don't have to worry as much.
It is amazing watching a massive piece of machinery pulling maneuvers like that though.

Freak
03-24-2004, 12:54 PM
They pulled a lot of the copper wire out of some Naval ships and put fiber in at Virginia Beach. When they did that the ships lost enough weight they actually raised up out of the water a few feet. No one expected that to happen. They had to do some rengineering. Thats a lot of copper. Then there were the problems with the fiber underway. It worked fine at port but once the boat started rockin the fiber began to drop off. In the end it all worked out.

Ducatista
03-24-2004, 02:04 PM
I just have one comment after viewing that picture....
God Bless America!:)

AdrenelineOD
03-25-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Ducatista
I just have one comment after viewing that picture....
God Bless America!:) Ok! I agree, but, Then we`re screwed if theres no god!

beached 1
03-25-2004, 06:27 PM
Awesome pic Mike

welk2party
03-29-2004, 09:28 PM
Cool pic! I have been on a Aegis Destroyer during similar maneuvers. Absolutley amazing what a ship of that size can do so I can just imagine a carrier.

MagicMtnDan
03-29-2004, 10:48 PM
Here's another (not chopped)...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=635233