PDA

View Full Version : Cam shaft

Thunderbutt
03-17-2004, 01:37 PM
When the boat was built in 1972 we used a Iski. cam some where along the line it was replaced with a differant cam. on the end of the cam it reads Cam Dynamics, is that the same as Crane? There are two numbers on the cam. CH3610 and 856-F. Does anyone recognize one of them as the grind number.

Fiat48
03-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Cam Dynamics is owned by Crane. Couldn't match any numbers in Crane catalogs though..even an old 1977 catalog I had.

Thunderbutt
03-20-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Fiat48
Cam Dynamics is owned by Crane. Couldn't match any numbers in Crane catalogs though..even an old 1977 catalog I had.
Flat, I noticed on another thread about Cams, I think you said the lifters should ride in the middle of the Cam lobe. Mine doesn't and this Cam has been in the motor for a very long time. The Cam has a little play, is that ok? The Guy doing the motor said the Cam and Lifters look like new.

TIMINATOR
03-20-2004, 07:48 PM
Non-roller cam lobes are tapered about 1 1/2 degree to promote lifter rotation, so the lifters, being radiused, ride near the edge of the lobe. The pattern should widen towards the top of the lobe and then go back to the edge on the closing ramp. If the pattern is more than a third of the width of the lobe, the cam is on the way out. Now you know everything! TIMINATOR