PDA

View Full Version : Laughlin to Havasu, who done it?

caribbean20
03-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Am planning a trip from Laughlin to Havasu (Nautical Inn) on May 21 on the river. I have a 20' jet. Anyone done this trip recently? Looks like it is about 70 miles on the river. Are there any marinas on the way (e.g., Needles)? I made the trip about 10 years ago from Laughlin to Needles and recall it was quite fun (until I ingested a rock in the jet drive, grate was missing).
About how long does it take and are there many hazards along the way (e.g., hidden reefs, very shallow water, etc.)? Presumably it all depends on the river level. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Doug

flat broke
03-18-2004, 10:04 AM
Totally doable.
Fuel capacity for the ride back may be a concern. From Laughlin to The Avi, you're fine after 12:00-1:00pm. From the Avi to Needles, things get a little shallow and you need to keep your eyes peeled. Once you hit Needles, drop the hammer and cruise on down to Havasu. You'll probably have more problems with the rougher water N of the Nautical than on the river. If you only have a foot throttle, you may want to keep a heavy brick around for cruise control :)
Chris

79 HUSTLER
03-18-2004, 10:09 AM
I do it in a 29 cat a few times a year. Fuel is not my problem with 120 gal worth. Did have one scare once, A few miles before needles there was a huge rock bar in the center and had someone else not hit it just before I came I would have been next. Just drive slow on the way down and look for hazards and on the way back hammer the mofo. KELLY

HighRoller
03-18-2004, 10:10 AM
It can be done, but just be ready for a long day. I used to cruise at 35 mph so here's what I've found from my trips up and down. It'll be at least 3 hours going up if you're going to stop regularly. (You know you will) Depending on your mileage, I'd hit the Avi on the way up. After Laughlin you can hit topock on the way back for a splash. Should take you 2 and a half hours to come back. In a 20 footer you won't have to sweat much. Be sure to check the outlet schedule for Davis Dam ahead of time so you know when they will be dropping the water. This time of year the water usually runs hard all day. Just keep your eyes open when you get up towards Laughlin. There's a few small islands and rock bars, but they have trees and vegitation on them and are easy to avoid if you're looking. Other than that, have a blast! Oh, and one final essential piece of advice. DON'T make this trip in a 20 ft boat on a weekend.

rivercrazy
03-18-2004, 10:15 AM
You best bets for gas are the Avi, Needles Marina, and Topok. You might think about fueling up in Havasu at Havasu Marina also. Just make sure you get gas before about 5pm or you might be stranded high and dry!
For the most part if you stay on the AZ side of the river you good to go. But watch out for a few spots!

jackpunx
03-18-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by 79 HUSTLER
I do it in a 29 cat a few times a year. Fuel is not my problem with 120 gal worth. Did have one scare once, A few miles before needles there was a huge rock bar in the center and had someone else not hit it just before I came I would have been next. Just drive slow on the way down and look for hazards and on the way back hammer the mofo. KELLY
You make this trip in your big boat?.. LMK if you want to make one this weekend.. I'll roll behind you :D

79 HUSTLER
03-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Mark, I think I'll wait till at least end of april to may before going up there :p . But if someone bigger is heading up I will definately jump on the train to follow them up. It is just a lil scketchey past needles and it really suck to cruise at like 15-20 to keep an eye on things. I like to keep the hammer down while flying by all the campers. KELLY

Liquid Courage
03-18-2004, 11:16 AM
I had a buddy do it in a Cigarette Cafe Racer last season. Made it w/out a problem. You just have to look for the ripples in the water. You should be fine in a jet.

THATJEFFGUY
03-18-2004, 11:16 AM
I do the Laughlin to Havasu run quite a bit...in a 26 footer. Just watch out for a few rockbars around Needles. There are plenty of stops along the way for ice/beer/snacks...the Avi, Topock, Park Moabi. It's a fun trip and there are lots of decent beaches along the way to stop and hang out. Personally I dunno if I would do it in a 20 footer though...the water gets pretty choppy thru the Gorge, and even worse once you hit Havasu..especially on a weekend ! ! Have fun !

jackpunx
03-18-2004, 11:19 AM
Im PMed you my number.. if you go up this weekend and want to take a ride up to needles or down to Havi springs for breakfast let me know.
A long time ago in my first jet I took the trip down from there.. it was a blast.. just had gas issues.. and one other time I took a wrong turn and found some really shallow water.. but stayed on the gas and got out of it.. So Im a little gun shy in my IO..
good luck

Three Days Only
03-18-2004, 12:29 PM
It's no problem when the water is high. The sketchy part for us was around Bull Head City at the overhead gas line in the corner. It got real shallow there, we stayed towards the inside around all the docks and made it through. A buddy of mine took out his lower unit the same day right behind us, kind of screwed up his weekend. I wouldnt try it in the boat I have now. We were in a comp boat then. If your worried about it, just drive down to needles and launch.
Jeff

Skaterfast
03-18-2004, 01:55 PM
70 miles!
I thought it was mor like 45?
You talking about round trip?

al cole'holic
03-18-2004, 02:01 PM
...what's really awesome is the ride back from the Channel to Laughlin around dusk fresh out the ER, completely wasted on demerol with a couple hundred stitches in your back!!...prop check...:D

dimarcobros
03-18-2004, 02:12 PM
That must have felt great every time you hit a wake.
DMB

jackpunx
03-18-2004, 02:22 PM
was this or is this the reason for your user name? "al cole'holic
:D

mtndewdrops
03-19-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Three Days Only
The sketchy part for us was around Bull Head City at the overhead gas line in the corner.
Jeff
That is the shallowest area I know of on the river. It can be intimidating even on a jet ski.
I have cruised from South Havasu to the Avi and back in my 21' I/O. I think the boat consumed around 40 gallons of fuel.

randy77zt
03-19-2004, 08:43 PM
i did it the third week of october last year.i have a 18'mirage tunnel with a 2.5 merc .was running a 30 cleaver and cruising about 70 mph.i had 25 galllons(full tank) plus 10 in jugs.had to have the taxi at bullhead city take me to the gas station-but i brought the oil so it was no big thing.water was glass all the way and it was in the middle of the week so i only saw 3 other boats.that tour boat rolls a big wake.there is a couple of gravel bars in the needles/avi area but they are on the west side of the river.no docks in laughlin to tie up to but there is beach behind harrah's.

Cs19
03-19-2004, 09:22 PM
Piece of cake if you have fuel and beer. The worst spot is that rock bar in front of circle beach. Its down river from the avi, bout 10 minutes below, maybe 15. just above Willow valley.Stay to the sides in that area, AZ side is best like someone mentioned.
We used to kick it at that beach all day, ive seen more outdrives get torn right there, it sneaks up you..
We go to blythe and go for long missions like that, thats when you gotta be on your toes, some parts are almost to shallow to even get through.Laughlin/needles is easy.Have fun.

CAHotRodBoy
03-21-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Liquid Courage
I had a buddy do it in a Cigarette Cafe Racer last season. Made it w/out a problem. You just have to look for the ripples in the water. You should be fine in a jet.
Zat you Tank?
-Al (baja fresh)

Liquid Courage
03-22-2004, 03:13 PM
Ya Al-Daddy, what's the haps!? I heard you bought a Cigarette....True??? I think I have a buyer for my boat....Stepping up to a Top Gun;)
Tank

Charley
03-23-2004, 08:10 AM
I did it once in like 1990... I really don't like to talk about it ;) ...well sober anyways