PDA

View Full Version : red hot glowing headers

crownline79
03-18-2004, 06:03 PM
well I thought i had all the vlaves figured out but when i looked back the headers were glowing red and then i checked the oil and, well still a nice milkshake for my oil. Is 55mph slow for a 19 foot hondo with two people?

Rexone
03-18-2004, 06:22 PM
glowing red is probably normal. Milkshake is not and is probably not related to the glowing red. You've got some good advice in your other thread on the water issue on things to check. I'd work towards solving that as water in the oil isn't a good thing. As far as the speed I don't know the particulars but a stock Olds with a stock pump it sounds about right.

1Bahnerjet
03-18-2004, 08:13 PM
if you've got the Hondo Pantera Jet Boat, Powerboat Mag. tested that Boat back in the 70's. it ran 53 mph, but they said the Seat of there pants feel was more like 73. Yeah, I hate Milkshake Oil too. :rolleyes:

Larry Nebb
03-18-2004, 08:45 PM
I would look at the timming. If it is retarded to much it will make the headers flow red

crownline79
03-18-2004, 09:02 PM
So many things to do to get this sucker running right, but i know its worth it because I had a great time on the lake today untill i saw the headers. thanks for all the comments

moneysucker
03-18-2004, 11:01 PM
Pull off the intake and look for a milk shake trail down the gasket to the oil. It usually be at the water intake/ thermostat front end of the motor. and if you see anything then replace the gasket and hope for the best. If you don't see anything, Pull off the heads and check for leaks there. Replace the needed gaskets and time that bitch. Move your header control valve under the seat so you have instant control. They have cool billet control valves if you want it out in the open. You should have a slight mist at idle if not off completely. then open it up when you get on it. It should have a heavy mist running open. Not flowing out the holes at the bottom or a heavy flow out the end, That is a recipe for reversion. After the gasket replacement, If you still have a problem use a re circ. or even a pond pump and a trash can of water and block sealer. this has cured a few 455's that I know of. Good luck.
Cy

jim lee
03-18-2004, 11:12 PM
What Larry said. If the timing is set to retarded you can't pump enough water into the headers to keep 'em cool.
One time I was testing different distruibuters on a test engine. It was bolted to an engine stand with water injected headers. Toss in a dist. fire it up, check the scope, this and that. Pull the dist., grab the next one, bla bla bla. After awhile, I guess I got lazy and didn't check things too close. All of a sudden when I fired up the engine, it felt like an inferred bomb went off in the shop. It was like I was standing next to a furnace. I even checked the cooling water wondering what happend. Turns out I'd installed the distruibuter a few degrees retarded. I was shocked to see how much of a difference it made.
http://www.banderlog.com/products/engineStand/images/itRuns.JPG
Runnin' in the driveway.
Double check that timing.
-jim lee

crownline79
03-19-2004, 09:57 AM
so whats the timming supose to be at on a pretty stock olds except for a couple of four barols and a tunnel ram?

kp216
03-20-2004, 04:32 AM
On my 403, I'm running 14 degrees initial and 24 degrees of advance, for 38 total, all in by 3000 rpm.
When I first set it, I was at 10 initial. I started playing around and got almost 100 rpm by going from 10 to 14.

DansBlown73Nordic
03-20-2004, 05:41 AM
This is a really nice test stand. I have been thinking of building something like it.
http://www.banderlog.com/products/engineStand/images/itRuns.JPG