PDA

View Full Version : What do you do about speeders your residential street?

ryantparks
03-18-2004, 06:31 PM
These women late to take their kids to school come screaming down my street in the morning and after school. I shouldnt just say it is women but the majority are. After school we set up cones but it really does no good.
We've now started rolling a ball down the driveway infront of the car, that seems to work pretty good and open peoples eyes! Someone complained to the Sheriff so they've been here in the mornings w/radar.
What do you guys do?

572Daytona
03-18-2004, 06:34 PM
I'm the last house on a dead end private dirt road with nothing but a lake behind me. That usually works wonders for cutting down on speeders :wink:

Havasu Hangin'
03-18-2004, 06:35 PM
Spike strip.

DeltaSigBoater
03-18-2004, 06:39 PM
if it were me i would practice my backing up skills with the boat trailer. See them coming down the street start backing/pulling out of the driveway. And if they hit the boat, HELLO NEW BOAT!!!

Jrocket
03-18-2004, 06:41 PM
Sometimes I will lay a 2x4x20 across the street and then sit back and watch the people haul ass up to it and slam on the brakes.Doesnt help any but for some reason I feel good about it!:D

RiverToysJas
03-18-2004, 06:42 PM
I have a "friend" who raced his little sporty car down an alley at 60-70mph late one night. Halfway down the alley a half full beer can bounced off the windshield. My "friend" got the point! ;)
RTJas :D

Jrocket
03-18-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
half full beer
What a dick!
Next time dont waste the beer, throw a rock!:)

Restless22
03-18-2004, 06:49 PM
Squirt em with the hose........:D

Blown 472
03-18-2004, 06:49 PM
I usually chase them down and have a chat with them.

HammerDown
03-18-2004, 06:54 PM
Were going through this currently on my street...true some of the vehicles go faster than 15 mph(posted speed)...but it seems a few of the neighbors want the street to be a safe haven for their kids to play street hocky etc! I say BS, at the last nights Township meeting we had...I stated the Streets are for vehicles to travel on...not for kids to play on! WTF...we have 2 massive fields/parks behind our houses where thay can play, why do they need hocky nets etc in the street!
Now their taking a vote to make our nice street a one way...:yuk: in order to cut down the amount of traffic so their kids will be safe. Total BS.
Hmmmm :idea: I say, keep your kids out of the street...and all will be fine.

Jrocket
03-18-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Restless22
Works great on barking dogs,that I know for sure!

hd&boatrider
03-18-2004, 06:59 PM
On my street there are speed bumps and a lot of kids. If someone comes down the street speeding they sometimes get a beer can thrown at them. No, there is no beer in them. I wouldn't go the beer can route and I think talking to people is the best way to solve it.

LHC Kirby
03-18-2004, 07:04 PM
Make a poster - Speed limit 25MPH - and another one How fast are you going? posted about 50' feet past the first.
I know the beer can (with water in it) would work as well. however, I think distracting a speeding driver by throwing an object at the windshield is against a law or two? guess who would lose in the case?

Highlimit9000
03-18-2004, 07:08 PM
Lots of Fishing String and Beer Cans! 30 pound Test!

HammerDown
03-18-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by hd&boatrider
On my street there are speed bumps
I mentioned that at last nights meeting...here their not allowed and illegal on a public road.

ROZ
03-18-2004, 07:24 PM
About a year ago we had a problem with a kid doing that in his little civic. One day while I was out walking the dog, I noticed he was out messin under the hood. I approached him and said that there are young kids who live on this street who may be quick to step in the street and you could hit the child and possibly kill them. He just looked at me with a blank stare. So I told him if he is speeding down the street and accidentally kills my kid, he had better commit suicide. If he doesn't and he hides in his house, I will bust down the f'n door and filet him alive. You ruin my life an I will cause the worst pain imagineable....
I can't go any futher... He got the point after I said bust down the door... Now he drives 25 and looks straight ahead as he passes by the house :)
I even scared myself with that angry speach :D

ROZ
03-18-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by hd&boatrider
I think talking to people is the best way to solve it. me too :D

CA Stu
03-18-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
About a year ago we had a problem with a kid doing that in his little civic. One day while I was out walking the dog, I noticed he was out messin under the hood. I approached him and said that there are young kids who live on this street who may be quick to step in the street and you could hit the child and possibly kill them. He just looked at me with a blank stare. So I told him if he is speeding down the street and accidentally kills my kid, he had better commit suicide. If he doesn't and he hides in his house, I will bust down the f'n door and filet him alive. You ruin my life an I will cause the worst pain imagineable....
I can't go any futher... He got the point after I said bust down the door... Now he drives 25 and looks straight ahead as he passes by the house :)
Did you get this idea from "How to win friends and influence people"?;)
Politely talking sense to the driver is the best first step.
I reckon this is enough for most people. If not, do whatever you like. Way back when, a friend of mine made a dummy out of some old pants and a sweater taped together and stuffed with newspaper. It was fun to throw it out from betwwen two parked cars as a car hauled ass down the street :D :D
Never did catch us, either :D
CA Stu

Havasu Hangin'
03-18-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by CA Stu
Way back when, a friend of mine made a dummy out of some old pants and a sweater taped together and stuffed with newspaper. It was fun to throw it out from betwwen two parked cars as a car hauled ass down the street...
We used to string fishing line across the street...then tie a bunch of tin cans to the ends.
They never saw it coming.

RiverToysJas
03-18-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
We used to string fishing line across the street...then tie a bunch of tin cans to the ends.
They never saw it coming.
Here's a rare shot of a young HH (on the left) briefing his buddies on how the fishing line/tin can prank works....
http://www.abc-kid.com/ourgang/pictures/006.jpg
RTJas :D

Havasu Hangin'
03-18-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
Here's a rare shot of a young HH (on the left) briefing his buddies on how the fishing line/tin can prank works....
Wow...I can't believe you found that old picture...
...however, I think we were discussing the finer points of the "lighter fluid-in-the-squirtgun-for-halloween-pumpkins" prank.

hd&boatrider
03-18-2004, 08:02 PM
That is pretty funny Chris....
Originally posted by ROZ

bordsmnj
03-18-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Restless22
thats what i do! safe but gets the point across:D if i don't happen to have the hose handy i bark abscenities.:eek!:

ryantparks
03-18-2004, 08:43 PM
To: HammerDown, We dont have a 15mph speed limit it is 25mph and that is way to fast on a residential street IMO. The fact is that kids are going to play in the street no matter were you live, I did when I was a kid all Im asking is for people who are speeding is to slow down! My kids cant ride the razor scooters and rollerblades on the grass at the park. You are correct in that streets are for vehicles but driving slowly in neighborhoods isnt to much to ask. Thanks

welk2party
03-18-2004, 08:46 PM
I live right across from an elementary school. The parents are crazy drivers. They fly by other cars that are turning and just plain scare the hell out of me. I have tried the boat backing out of the drive way thing. Did not work. They just squeezed around me while doing it. As soon as they see daylight they are out of here.
I drive slow through my neighborhood and I have almost run over kids darting out in the street. God forbid someone's kid gets hurt or even worse killed. The parents would be in an uproar and demand action all the while nearly all of them are putting kids at risk. It is just a matter of time.
The other thing that puts me off is when the school has functions and some nitwit tries to squeeze in front of my driveway blocking it somewhat beacuse they do not want to park around the block. Fixed that problem a few times. I go ahead and back my truck out and box them in. Some have even tried to get an attitude with me about it.:mad:

BADBLOWN572
03-18-2004, 08:57 PM
One time a bag of readymix that was left out in the rain "fell" out of the truck and landed in the middle of the street. Home made speed bumps. OOPS! :yuk:

repo man
03-18-2004, 09:34 PM
i fliped the little ****ers honda over with my tow truck in the midle of the night , you should have seen them in the morning trying to figure out what happened:eek:

ahhell
03-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
can i borrow that speech...:D :D :D :D :D

Cas
03-18-2004, 10:24 PM
we did the dummy thing years ago too, worked great. Now, if it were me, I'd tie a rope to a stuffed dog and pull it across the street right in front of the offender. When they stop, go have a little talk with them.
Actually, you can buy fake servielance cameras. Set a couple up on a tree or a light pole and let the people know they are now being filmed.

rivercrazy
03-18-2004, 10:38 PM
A 30-06 accelerator bullet ought to do some engine block damage don't cha think? Boom - DONE! :D :D

JetBoatRich
03-19-2004, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by repo man
i fliped the little ****ers honda over with my tow truck in the midle of the night , you should have seen them in the morning trying to figure out what happened:eek:
That would slow them down:eek: LOL

Mandelon
03-19-2004, 06:22 AM
I read something about a paint ball gun here recently....:rolleyes: :D
If you see them coming step out in front a make your point with angry stares, finger pointing and verbal abuse. Even if it doesn't work they will be afraid of you and maybe go a different way.
Take license numbers and video tape them....do it very obviously so they get the point......

Danhercules
03-19-2004, 07:16 AM
I have a nasty dip in front that dose not look bad at all untill ya hit it. These hondas and other cars hit it hard and leave parts behind.
The bad side is, its a spot for the prerunner truckes to "test" their suspention.
This is what my niebors did,
made a cat shaped piece of cardboard, used 2 marbels for eyes, and used a stick to prop him up in the middle of the street under the street light.
Funny @$$ shit. Countless cars would stop and honk at the "cat". Hrs of fun with the cooler in the garage. When a pre runner did come by, he lock up his breaks and then he saw us and felt really stupid!!

Flying Tiger
03-19-2004, 07:36 AM
It's a huge problem in my neighborhood.
Here, we've contacted the City council and some ideas have been kicked around.
One idea whats called a traffic calmer. It's an "s" turn in the road with an island that people have to slow down for, and Fire trucks can still negotiate.
Most solutions to your traffic problems will be opposed by the Fire Dept because most of them hinder Fire Trucks.
In Thousand Oaks Calif, residents can check out a video/radargun and tape the offenders. It's a touchy situation doing that. It can create some confrontations.
I complain to the cops, and they come out and write people for a few days,, then we don't see them again until we complain more.

THOR
03-19-2004, 08:35 AM
This is some seriously pre-meditatied shit going on here. I love it.

NorCalCat
03-19-2004, 08:46 AM
We have the same problem in our neighborhood. Complain to the cops, will only get you one day of relief. I will stand in my driveway, when I see a call hauling ass I will kick a soccer ball into the street. It is great to watch these mom's/nannies swerve to try and miss the ball. If they run it over, they usually are embarrassed. They tend to get the point. For that day only...I think I am going to try using bowling ball next.
Cones work only to alert them, not to slow them down. They see them and navigate around it.
I like the idea of practicing you backing up skills, right around 8:00 am. M-F

Freak
03-19-2004, 08:59 AM
The neighbor across the street watches kids so it is an everyday thing here. From four year olds darting out of driveways on bikes not looking at all to teens with attitudes. We have tried to talk to the speeders and they get a ****ing attitude. Yet it is their kids playing in streets that could get run over. I don't get it. I also don't get the kids who will not move from the street when I am driving down it. They just stand their ground and stare at you coming at them. Like I am supposed to get out of their way. Kid YOUR in the middle of the street. I would stop if they were crossing but they are just hanging out. You should see the look on some of their faces when my mirror gets kind of close to their face. Oh and we have 3 cops who live on the street. Ya think that might slow people down. NOPE.

HCS
03-19-2004, 09:00 AM
Same shit where I live. I live one block from a high school. My 4 year old boy plays in my front yard while kids speed by my house at 60mph. When ever I can I walk out in the street stop em and yell at em.
I'm thinking spike strips would be the best bet.

beer hunter
03-19-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
A 30-06 accelerator bullet ought to do some engine block damage don't cha think? Boom - DONE! :D :D
It should, and that would be the second thing I'd do after capping the asshole driver that killed my kid :mad:
Please slow down everyone when driving through residential areas :)

Kilrtoy
03-19-2004, 09:14 AM
I notice people are upset about speeding and/or reckless driving on THEIR streets.
Again, I notice how big the thread gets when people get tickets for speeding.
Is it ok to speed to the river , but not ok when it directly effects you.:confused: :confused:

beer hunter
03-19-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
I notice people are upset about speeding and/or reckless driving on THEIR streets.
Is it ok to speed to the river , but not ok when it directly effects you.:confused: :confused:
Good point :) Our 12,000 pound boat/trailer and tow rigs could do a lot of damage to the little four door sedan with a family of five while blasting down Rice Rd at 80mph plus :(

superdave013
03-19-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Word!
The guy who lives across the street from me lets his kids play in the street. They set up skateboard ramp and rails right out in the middle of the street. hey, I go out and skate the ramp with the kids sometimes too.
But this jackass yells at cars and lunges out in front of them. I told him that if he scares someone bad enough that they hit my truck that I'm kicking his ass, not the drivers.
But what's the real kicker here is I hoped in his jeep with him once and he was hualling ass down all the other streets! What an ass ****.
But one thing he does do that seems to help is he has a yellow sign shaped like a kid with an orange flag on it. It says children at play and it very easy to spot. People really do slow down when they see it.

PlyaPlya22
03-19-2004, 11:05 AM
I saw this on antoher post! Get two metal trash cans. Put one on each side of the street. Tie them together with some 80 lb test line. Get a lawn chair and a beer and enjoy your self!:D

HammerDown
03-19-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by ryantparks
To: HammerDown, We dont have a 15mph speed limit it is 25mph and that is way to fast on a residential street IMO. The fact is that kids are going to play in the street no matter were you live, I did when I was a kid all Im asking is for people who are speeding is to slow down! My kids cant ride the razor scooters and rollerblades on the grass at the park. You are correct in that streets are for vehicles but driving slowly in neighborhoods isnt to much to ask. Thanks
I don't mind that their kids(a few of them) play in the street. What pisses me off is these 3 families actually want to turn the WHOLE street into a one way so they would be safe playing in the street!:mad: Sorry...thats BS...:yuk:

Slick
03-19-2004, 02:48 PM
We haven't had any problems in this neighborhood. I still yell out a loud SLOW DOWN. Usually that works with the adults. In our old house, if I saw the same person ripping up and down the street every time, I'd just grab the basketball from the kids and lob it about 25-30 feet in the air. That makes a big ass boom when it hits the roof or hood of the car. Works great on gas powered go pedders too. I hate those little things.

MudPumper
03-19-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
[
But one thing he does do that seems to help is he has a yellow sign shaped like a kid with an orange flag on it. It says children at play and it very easy to spot. People really do slow down when they see it. [/B]
My neighbor has a sign like this made out of plywood and 2x4's. Put it out in the street about where the corner of your car would be if it were parked next to the curb. It really works. It's the shape of a kid painted bright yellow and orange and says "kids at play".
I helped my buddy move into his new house in El Cajon and the neighbor came over to introduce himself. The guy is a fireman about 6'6 280. He said if we ever found any tools in the street to pick them up and hold them for him. When cars speed down the street, he's been known to fling a wrench out of the garage.