PDA

View Full Version : Is it ghetto?

Jetdriver
03-19-2004, 09:18 AM
So the wife and I have a difference of opinion. You guys can help, is it Ghetto to put a little red neon in the new to us boat, you know a little something for those summer nights floating down the river. I was thinking maybe a little under the bow, and one inside each of the little cubbys on each side. What do you think? If you have pics, hook us up with a few!

Nubbs
03-19-2004, 09:21 AM
I don't think so. Now if you wanted purple or pink.....

carbonmarine
03-19-2004, 09:23 AM
nah, looks kuel at night ...... dont tell her - just do it and when your out at night ...flipp the switch .... she'll digg it ! :cool:

Jetdriver
Right right! No, no purple or pink unless its something other than neon! lol

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
I personally think it is a little ghetto. I see neon on those cars with the wheels that keep spinning after the car stops. definitely one of the stupidist things I have ever seen. But hey as long as you like that's all that matters.
Omega

Jetdriver
03-19-2004, 09:24 AM
There has to be someone with pics????

Tom Brown
03-19-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
So the wife and I have a difference of opinion.
Make yourself happy and use your tongue, hands, and penis to make your wife happy. Everyone wins.

Jetdriver
03-19-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
Make yourself happy and use your tongue, hands, and penis to make your wife happy. Everyone wins.
Maybe I can give her a muffin too! Thanks Tom!

HCS
03-19-2004, 09:32 AM
I'm sure the ghetto wakeboarders would love it. Light up your wake throwin XSTAR with neon lights at night. I thought It was
my idea. " That's what I get for thinking. "

Jetdriver
03-19-2004, 09:34 AM
Yeah there you go! Now if I only had a shity wakeboard boat Id be all over it. Maybe even some strobes on the tower!

OGShocker
03-19-2004, 09:34 AM
We have blue LED's in our cup holders. I thought about neon but I was afraid I would lose my HONKY license. ;)
Go with it, then follow Tom Brown's advice. Make the little woman happy in other ways.:D

Jetdriver
03-19-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by OGShocker
We have blue LED's in our cup holders. I thought about neon but I was afraid I would lose my HONKY license. ;)
Go with it, then follow Tom Brown's advice. Make the little woman happy in other ways.:D
LED's now thats an idea!

OGShocker
03-19-2004, 09:43 AM
LED's now thats an idea!
Try this place (http://www.ledtronics.com/)

Jetdriver
03-19-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by OGShocker
Try this place (http://www.ledtronics.com/)
Holy smokes! Theres a ton of LED's!

ROZ
03-19-2004, 09:52 AM
cool as long as you don't over do it and stick to indirect cove lighting.
also make sure the tubes are well hidden.

Jetdriver
03-19-2004, 10:09 AM
Yeah I was thinking of all hidden light!

BowTie Rick
03-19-2004, 10:14 AM
LOL, I have purple neon :o I put them out of site above the cup holders front & rear (open bow). At night it is just enough to see but not intrusive; it sort of just glows inside. My boat is purple & burgandy so it had to match. I think it looks good. Am I ghetto? :D

superdave013
03-19-2004, 10:22 AM
it's ghetto on cars and on rub rails on boats. Seems to be pretty cool as acent lights though.
Just my 2 cents

HCS
03-19-2004, 10:24 AM
They'll be going inside my boat. Under the side panels.:wink:

Jetdriver
03-19-2004, 10:29 AM
Well I guess I better start shopping for neon! I found a place that sells cold cathode lights which emits the same type of light as neon without the heat or current draw. Its much cheaper too!

HCS
03-19-2004, 10:38 AM
What place?

Jetdriver
03-19-2004, 10:42 AM
Cold Cathode! (http://www.elwirecheap.com/neonwircarki.html)

riverbound
03-19-2004, 11:26 AM
I have green neon tubes under my dash and green leds in my cup holders, works out great when we are just floating at night.

Jetdriver
03-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Thats what Im talkin about!

MagicMtnDan
03-19-2004, 11:34 AM
I think you should put big neon tubes UNDER your boat. Imagine how that'll look at night when you light them up - a bright purple glow around your boat in the water :D :cool:

Jetdriver
03-19-2004, 11:36 AM
Yeah then I can put a big colored halogen inside my pump so my roost looks like the Beliagio! :D

HCS
03-19-2004, 11:51 AM
I was checking out a limo about six months ago that had the
neon lights around it. I was thinking if you made kits specificly
for boats you could make some money.
You watch the boat manufactures will jump on it and offer the
neon light set up on new boats as an option.
You could look like a ghetto space ship on the water.:D

Jetdriver
03-19-2004, 12:07 PM
That would work!

Dr. Eagle
03-19-2004, 12:22 PM
So the wife and I have a difference of opinion. You guys can help, is it Ghetto to put a little red neon in the new to us boat, you know a little something for those summer nights floating down the river. I was thinking maybe a little under the bow, and one inside each of the little cubbys on each side. What do you think? If you have pics, hook us up with a few!
I think they are just cool courtesy lights. I am going to install blue neon under the dash and in some of the drink recesses.

Jetdriver
03-19-2004, 12:30 PM
Im telling you that the cool cathodes are the way to go. I think I may just have to order some!

Essex502
03-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Sounds like a racist post there dude! What about a little barrio? Or maybe a little kibbutz? More of that $hit in Chinatown or Monterey Park than the "ghetto"! "Ghetto dwellers" can't afford it. :D

Jetdriver
03-19-2004, 01:30 PM
Maybe I should have just called it TWO FAST TOO FURIOUS!:D

totenhosen
03-19-2004, 01:32 PM
I think it's lame. What next a black light in your bedroom and some Led Zep balck light psoters?

Jetdriver
03-19-2004, 01:34 PM
YOUVE SEEN MY ROOM? :mad: I am listening to Zeps right now too! :D

totenhosen
03-19-2004, 01:35 PM
Hey it's your boat! Do what you want.

Jetdriver
03-19-2004, 01:36 PM
LOL! :D

HammerDown
03-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by carbonmarine
nah, looks kuel at night ...... dont tell her - just do it and when your out at night ...flipp the switch .... she'll digg it ! :cool:
But if she jumps overboard...ya know it was a bad move their....(slim shady):D

Jetdriver
03-19-2004, 02:10 PM
Will the real slim shady please stand up! Please stand up!

manuel
03-19-2004, 02:28 PM
I bought a bunch of LED lights from this guy on ebay,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2468180646&category=33713
He has all sorts of colors (even blacklight) for $3.99 each and they are great, tiny but put out lots of light and real low current draw. I got blue for my daycruiser interior and red and yellow to go on my trailer so I can see it better at night. I'm even going to run a pair of white ones under my swim platform, maybe the fish will like them too!

Jetdriver
03-19-2004, 03:08 PM
Sweet! Are they really bright?

Blown 472
03-19-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by BowTie Rick
LOL, I have purple neon :o I put them out of site above the cup holders front & rear (open bow). At night it is just enough to see but not intrusive; it sort of just glows inside. My boat is purple & burgandy so it had to match. I think it looks good. Am I ghetto? :D
Who gives a **** about lights, who is tha chick with tha maddona air filter bra?

Jetdriver
03-19-2004, 03:19 PM
Now were talkin!

BowTie Rick
03-19-2004, 03:23 PM
I don't know her but I'd like to. Looks young, but old enough to...:D She is in a customer's web page and catalog, she don't work with me unfortunately. They are out of Lumberton, N.C. You got some lumber for her?

Blown 472
03-19-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by BowTie Rick
I don't know her but I'd like to. Looks young, but old enough to...:D She is in a customer's web page and catalog, she don't work with me unfortunately. They are out of Lumberton, N.C. You got some lumber for her?
**** yeah.:D

Ivan Dan
03-19-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
I think you should put big neon tubes UNDER your boat. Imagine how that'll look at night when you light them up - a bright purple glow around your boat in the water :D :cool:
Is this what you did on your boat???

eliminatedsprinter
03-19-2004, 04:25 PM
Perfomance boats arn't ghetto. Go ahead, pimp it out Big Daddy..:cool: :D

Dave C
03-19-2004, 04:42 PM
you know what would be cool. Lights inside the cooler that turn on when you open it. So at night you open the cooler and "bingo"

phebus
03-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Hell yes it's ghetto, but a little ghetto is cool. Go for it!

TRG
03-19-2004, 05:10 PM
my uncle used to own fishermans bait and tackle in havasu, on one of his rentals (poontoon) he had me install three flood lights in between the sponsons/ underneath the boat, so that when all of the family would go out for the night for fishing or for just plain having a good time, he could turn them on and the kids would be safe-er swimming at night! this was a great idea!
To me, if you are going to be partying at night- on the water....the more light, the better!
just my 02.
todd

Jetdriver
03-19-2004, 06:56 PM
Oh I cant wait to be floating down the river this summer, radio cranked and the neon glowin. :D

HCS
03-19-2004, 10:06 PM
Oh I cant wait to be floating down the river this summer, radio cranked and the neon glowin. :D
Somebodies always got to be the first one.:rolleyes:
Don't forget the boom box.

HighRoller
03-19-2004, 10:28 PM
It's not ghetto until you install this....http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/413Bling.jpg

Doug H.
03-20-2004, 02:57 AM
Shawn, in my openbow up front i put skelletons and cross bones on each side of the 6/9 speakers, they light up through the eyes of the skelleton that light up my walk way front to rear, people don't beieve me cause they are so small but give out good lighting, plus it's safer this way, no one can trip and fall on their fat ass and sue me :D no, really i dig them at night reminds me of the seventies...................woohoo :D

Jetdriver
03-20-2004, 07:32 AM
I think Ill refrain from the 70's there Dougy! lol:D Im going to hook up the blacklight neon tube that I have from Bestbuy just to see how it will look tonight.

HOSS
03-20-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
ROFLMAO! Damn bro,,,that shit is cool.:D

Lightning
03-20-2004, 09:01 AM
There's nothing wrong with a little red http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/370DSC00515-1-med.JPG
I opted for LED's instead of neon

Jetdriver
03-20-2004, 09:34 AM
OK sweet! Now where did you get the LED's?

Dr. Eagle
03-20-2004, 10:45 AM
I have seen em at West Marine...

Lightning
03-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Talk to Wes (Froggystyle), he might be able to help you.

jlnorthrup122
03-20-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by lightning:
I opted for LED's instead of neon
Smart man Led's are much more durable and also more energy efficient!! We use them in some of our signs they are the shit the wave of the future not to mention they take up way less room too!! If you are seriuse bout the Led s I can get you some prices posted by monday! I can order them at wholesale cost! You will need a transformer too. They run on like 5 volts real low like that!! I will see if I have any around the house to show you a pick of what they look like!
Another cool trick is to shine them at the bottom edge of like your windsheild (plexi- Glass) and your shit will show up red or what ever the color of your leds! We can get reds blues yellows an probly any other color you would need!!

Jetdriver
03-20-2004, 08:37 PM
That would be sweet! They really seem to be the way to go. If you could get me some prices that would be great. How big are they, and how do you mount them?

jlnorthrup122
03-20-2004, 09:01 PM
Well you would want to use the 2 sided tape that they have or you could screw them in place in the areas that this is acceptable! I will talk with my guy on monday and get back with you Led usually goes by the foot so that should be the qoute I will get to you monday you want red rite? plus if the automotive transformers are like the ones we use they have 5 differnt brightness settings on them! I won't charge any overhead on thsese beeings how you are from these forums!

jlnorthrup122
03-20-2004, 09:09 PM
I would say each individual bulb and housing could almost fit on a quarter! they are usually layed out every 3 inches on a wire bout the equivelant to those houshold 6 foot extention cords use! I did have a string of them here at the house but I thinl I plugged them directly into 120 and blew the hole string of them out!!!:D :D that was kinda fun!! just to show how low the voltage is I lit one bulb off the solar panel off a calculator!!!!

Jetdriver
03-20-2004, 09:56 PM
Sweet! Thank you !

jlnorthrup122
03-22-2004, 10:31 AM
Well shawn I will hook you up with my suplier so you can see what all he has that you may favor! Not to mention that he is located in cally so it wouldn't make senceto shit the stuff her to Iowa an then back to cally! here is the link to his sight tell hem you are afilliated with sign productions in Cedar Rapids Iowa! http://www.sloanled.com/index.html (LED lighting suplier)
You might be better off checking out ebay for the automtive neon sections may be cheaper!
Good luck and if you need any help just let me know Iwould be more than happy to help you!! take care!!!:cool:

Jetdriver
03-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Thank you sir! Your linky no worky. But I got the web address. Thank you again ! :D

Lightning
03-22-2004, 01:24 PM
One of the reasons I chose the LED's is because you can aim them directionally. The neon is sort of blinding at night time, so it makes it hard to drive with it on when it's dark out. The LED's are a little easier on the eye when it's pitch black.

Jetdriver
03-22-2004, 01:31 PM
I do like the LED idea. Im only going to put the neon or whatever under the front deck and inside the pockets so that its not blinding at all, but so we can still see where stuff is!

Lightning
03-22-2004, 04:42 PM
I'd choose one or the other, you might end up with different looking colors. You will be able to see fine.

Jordy
03-22-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Ivan Dan
Is this what you did on your boat???
And what kind of boat was that again??? :D :D :D

LUVNLIFE
03-22-2004, 06:46 PM
I'll bring the disco ball:D It's called mood lighting.....and you are just trying to get Jerry, Jeff and me in the mood:D
It will look cool. I have regular lighting in all my cubby holes and it's all right when your floating along.;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-22-2004, 09:10 PM
Ghetto......I'm ghetto;) BUT neons under cars are GAY! Highlighting the interior with a few neons is cool;) (like the boat with the red neons), now that looks bitchin';)
Go ahead brotha, hook that shit up;) I think it would look bitchin'
actually I wanted to hook up some underneath my bow but... I have a jet with out lights and DRY headers so I dont think I will be driving at night:D so I decided not to do it.
But......Thas just my lil' ol 2 pennies;)

HCS
03-22-2004, 09:20 PM
Please don't bring up ghey on here, aheron might show up and
want a work out.:p

Froggystyle
03-22-2004, 11:19 PM
Ghetto? Hell the ghetto is where all of the style is coming from these days!
That being said, I am a huge fan of mood lighting in boats at night. It is one more good reason to go out and skinny dip or whatever with no po-po around to hassle you. There is over 21' of colored LED's coming in every Trident just FYI, with 10 single white LED's for night illumination without the mood effect. Theater lighting as it were. In addition, there will be waterproof LED's under the swimstep for bathing, and all of the nav lights and gauge lights are LED's.
Bring on the noche!

Jetdriver
03-23-2004, 06:40 AM
Hey Wes, dont you have pictures of OTR with the neon glowing?

Jordy
03-23-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by 396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
I think it would look bitchin'
actually I wanted to hook up some underneath my bow but... I have a jet with out lights and DRY headers so I dont think I will be driving at night:D so I decided not to do it.
But......Thas just my lil' ol 2 pennies;)
I've got neon in my yellow boat. As far as lights, I have a suction cup nav light and made a bracket for the transom light. There have been a couple times that we had to race the sun back to the marina after a fun day on the beach at Saguaro. One time it was damn near dark and I thought we were getting rolled, but he decided to go after some jackoff riding a jetski in the dark. After that I decided that some type of light might not be a bad investment.
Debating on putting neon in the River Cruiser as I have some free switch space in the dash. Definately needs some tunes though. :D

Jetdriver
03-23-2004, 07:59 AM
How about some pics of the new ride there Jordy!

Jordy
03-23-2004, 08:02 AM
How about some pics of the new ride there Jordy!
I'll get some. Just haven't gotten that far yet. Been too busy dealing with trailer issues. :frown:

Jetdriver
03-23-2004, 09:07 AM
Looking forward to those pics Jordy!

Froggystyle
03-23-2004, 12:21 PM
I have some around, but they are on another computer. I will dig them up and post them.

Jetdriver
03-23-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
I have some around, but they are on another computer. I will dig them up and post them.
Sweet, Thanks Wes!

jlnorthrup122
03-23-2004, 07:19 PM
That swim palform lighting is a bad ass Idea put that shit rite at the waterline soes it colors the water around it!! I think I might use that one Froggystyle!!
Did you find anything you liked on that websight you liked shawn? I like the paramiter rope LEDs! But dude is rite on the varience in color between neon and LEDs! :cool:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-23-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
I've got neon in my yellow boat. As far as lights, I have a suction cup nav light and made a bracket for the transom light. There have been a couple times that we had to race the sun back to the marina after a fun day on the beach at Saguaro. One time it was damn near dark and I thought we were getting rolled, but he decided to go after some jackoff riding a jetski in the dark. After that I decided that some type of light might not be a bad investment.
Debating on putting neon in the River Cruiser as I have some free switch space in the dash. Definately needs some tunes though. :D
Jordy, I dont think they would like the sound of dry bassetts rolling across the lake at midnight. Hell I dont even need the neons, those bassetts will be glowing already:D :D :D

Jetdriver
03-24-2004, 07:19 AM
Havent had a chance to look at the LED's just yet! Hopefully today I will get a few free minutes!

Cas
03-24-2004, 08:26 AM
click the link
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=793765260105&page=1&sort_order=0

Jetdriver
03-24-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Cas
click the link
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=793765260105&page=1&sort_order=0
Bad linky!

Cas
03-24-2004, 09:00 AM