PDA

View Full Version : Whipple Test

sigepmock
03-20-2004, 07:51 AM
Well I guess I did it to myself. I've been all over the boards bragging about how great the Whipple S/C on my truck is...8 months, 18,000 miles and no probelm.....well....
I went to change the pulley yesterday to get the boost back up over 5(it's dropped since the headers, exhaust, and intake added) and I notice a little oil on the pulley. Take it off and the inside of the pully is dripping with oil.....then I look at the bottom of the hood(above the S/C) and sure enough there a line of wet oil on it. Do a little more digging and it looks likes it been leaking for a while, lots of oil running down the compressor. Made the call to Whipple, Josh up there has been pretty cool so far but I have to send the compreesor in for warranty. So I'm off to rent a car because the truck is my daily driver.....kinda bummed.....guess I'll found out what kind of company Whipple really is and if they stand behind their product.
Anybody else have this problem? or done warranty stuff with Whipple? What am I in for? Thanks.
Chris:confused:

HighRoller
03-20-2004, 10:21 PM
I guess we don't really need to wonder about the whole "Karma" issue anymore, do we? :D

Infomaniac
03-21-2004, 07:40 AM
Those kits come with the compressor empty?
I had one leak, found it had a tad too much oil in it. Easy fix.
Even if not, the seal is standard and easily changed by someone capable enough to install a kit.
They will stand behind it is my prediction.

dc96819
03-25-2004, 12:05 AM
Is your whipple back on,and how is it running,how much boost?:cool:

sigepmock
03-26-2004, 07:48 AM
I should get the compressor back today. They ended up replacing it with a new one, didn't say what was wrong with it but I'm not complaining. I'll put it back together this weekend and give an update. I have to say the guys at Whipple really came through, even overnighted it back to me.:)

welk2party
03-26-2004, 03:51 PM
What truck do you have?

sigepmock
03-29-2004, 08:29 AM
Whipple gets an A+++.....I got the supercharger back on and it runs great:) A lot quieter at idle and I gained a half pound of boost. I kinda always thought something sounded a little funny but what do I know. I also have the 1/8" smaller pulley but I think I will wait a little while before I put it on. I'm running right at 5 psi.
I talked with the guys at Whipple, turns out Truckin magazine was there last week doing a story on their trucks. That might be why they just replaced my compressor instead of fixing, guess they were pretty busy with the photo shoots, I'm not complaining. I really have to hand it to those guys. I got the compressor to them on Wednesday and they had it back to me on Friday and they kept me in the loop the whole time, no suprises. I am a customer for life, just got to figure out how to convince the wife to let me put one on the boat now.
The truck is a 2003 Chevy 2500HD crew cab, 4x4, with 6.0L, auto. Thanks for all the help guys and that Karma comment was funny sh$t.

copperrat20
03-31-2004, 02:29 PM
I bought a 2.3 axis whipple brand new about a year ago for a new motor I was building for my boat. First time out, the whipple charger blew out a front gear sending all threw my $30,000 engine. Whipple had no problems warrantying their product. The gave me a brand new whipple within days but, they wouldn't and didn't pay for the $6,500 damage to my engine. Either way whipple is good with their warranty. You shouldn't have any problems.